Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle caliber choice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hurlsey wrote: »
    I was told the ammunition was way more expensive than .223, although i hadnt considered they might be buying crap for theres!!
    If you compare the AE (American Eagle) at about €11-€12 per box of 20 to the Hornady SST in .243 at €42 per 20 then there is a huge price difference. However there is also huge performance difference, and no matter the round the .223 will only ever be good enough for rabbits, and foxes.
    And that .243 is overkill for rabbits!!
    M'eh.

The .243 will kill a rabbit as well as a .223. The usage is the same (backstop, suitable lands, etc) but once hit with the .243 the rabbit will go down.
    I hadnt really considered that .243 was deer legal, obviously i knew it was, but i was weighing up for rabbits/foxes!!
    The only reason to go for the .223 over the .243 (keeping in mind prices, etc) is you only ever want to shoot vermin. If you want the option of vermin with deer (whether now or later) then the .243 is the better choice. Does everything a .223 does, and allows you to consider other options later at no extra cost for a new gun.

Whatever your choice buy what you want, for the purpose you want it for. No point buying a .243 if you simply are not happy with the thought of it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

If its for foxs and deer close in you can get PPU 100 gr SP for €19.00 a box. I use Federal for €28.00 ish a box,.
    As has often being said here before, think about how much you are going to be actually shooting, and you will soon realize how little ammo you will expend over the year.
    I spend more money relativly speeking on .22 ammo then on the .243.
    As a mate said, when we go out with the CF stuff it an't going to be no Mexican wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

I really dont know what to do now, i do like the idea of the .243, itll never be a target rifle so the amount of rounds i would be going through after zeroing would be low enough!!

This opens up a whole new headache!!!

At least i have the scope sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

if you went for the .243 you could have it for foxes and deer, you could look into a .22 or hmr for rabbits down the line. if you go for the .223 you will have something for foxes and something thats expensive for rabbit shooting and nothing for deer down the line.

What scope did you go for?

garv123 wrote: »
    if you went for the .243 you could have it for foxes and deer, you could look into a .22 or hmr for rabbits down the line. if you go for the .223 you will have something for foxes and something thats expensive for rabbit shooting and nothing for deer down the line.

What scope did you go for?

All true, i may start shopping around for a .243 id say, im pretty swayed in that direction at this stage!!

Went for a Hawke Sindwinder(minus the oversized parallax wheel)
    http://www.deben.com/hawke-sidewinder-30-side-focus-riflescopes/hawke-sidewinder-30-sf-4-16x50-10x-mil-dot.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

In terms of cost the .243 range of rifles is on a par with the .223s. Obviously they can go as high as you are willing to pay, but just because it's a .243 does not mean it will automatically be more expensive than a .223 rifle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Anybody got a howa?? How would you rate them against a cz or a winchester?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Anybody got a howa?? How would you rate them against a cz or a winchester?
    Hi hurlsey ,i would rate howa better than remmy ,cz or winchester .
    Regards,Tomcat.

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi hurlsey ,i would rate howa better than remmy ,cz or winchester .
    Regards,Tomcat.

hey tomcat, any particular reasons?? fit, feel, finish or accuracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

hey tomcat, any particular reasons?? fit, feel, finish or accuracy?
    Hi hurlsey,the howa action is a better designed and machined action .
    If you take into account price of a new howa plus its action been such a good design ..its a no brainer imo.
    Any ive seen ...they shoot well !
    Regards ,Tomcat .

• Advertisement

Didnt want to start a new thread,

What are the chances of getting a .243 for foxing alone(and a rabbit or many)? Ive pretty much decided on the scope
    http://www.deben.com/hawke-sidewinder-30-side-focus-riflescopes/hawke-sidewinder-30-sf-4-16x50-10x-mil-dot.html
    the rifle
    Howa 1500 varmint

so now its a case of .223 or .243......

Should i apply for a .243 and if i hit a wall "settle" for a .223??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I had a chat with my local FAO before applying just to check the lay of the land. Told him I was looking for a .243 for fox control. I did this for two reasons, 1. if I was refused I could then retry using stalking as my valid reason, 2. if at a later renewal date and I didn't have the stalking license I could argue I was issued the license on the basis of fox control.
    In reality I got the license issued using fox control as my valid reason, no questions asked. My local FAO is very experienced and has been doing the job for over 27 years just incase some says this was a 'misunderstanding' on his behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

If you shoot a rabbit with a 243 its in bits, 223 its in bits, 204 its evaporated.
    You might escape the best with a 223 using full metal jacket to avoid meat damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

4200fps wrote: »
    If you shoot a rabbit with a 243 its in bits, 223 its in bits, 204 its evaporated.
    You might escape the best with a 223 using full metal jacket to avoid meat damage

FMJ 223 will kill a rabbit without meat damage OK. Even the little 17 hmr will cause excessive damage with expanding ammo.

One thing, you got to hit them in the vitals (ribcage) with FMJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭4200fps

yubabill1 wrote: »
    FMJ 223 will kill a rabbit without meat damage OK. Even the little 17 hmr will cause excessive damage with expanding ammo.

One thing, you got to hit them in the vitals (ribcage) with FMJ.
    You certainly could but i'd personally would go for the computer (head) when that vital zone is hit it shuts the lot down like a switch with no meat damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

4200fps wrote: »
    You certainly could but i'd personally would go for the computer (head) when that vital zone is hit it shuts the lot down like a switch with no meat damage.

Horses for courses.

For me, I find behind the "armpit" the best percentage shot.

Don't get me wrong, headshots are fun - Just faffing on about why I shoot the way I do.

Expanding centrefire ammo will probably stop a rabbit with a hit anywhere except, perhaps the extremities.

FMJs need better placement IMHO.

Advertisement