Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this killing my herbs?

• 20-06-2013 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Hope you can see from the pictures, in the last 2-3 days my basil and mint have started to fail especially the basil. What is this on it not moving doesn't look like eggs???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It's greenfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Novaman

Is it not whitefly? I have these on my lilies coming into flower, I have been advised to spray them with a dab of washing up liquid diluted in 1 litre OF water, I've just done that carefully, hopefully this will eradicate them

(no insecticides as I am a bee lover :) ) Is this a good way?

NM

Young greenfly are often confused with white fly. Also, greenfly shed their skin and the little white casings are confused with whitefly too. You may have whitefly but I'm pretty sure these photos are greenfly. Almost looks like dandruff.
    I suppose anything that can kill aphids could kill other insects. It's a gamble. Organic growers would suggest growing certain types of flowers to attract aphid predators. Things like hover flies, lacewings, lady birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

check under the leaves for the greenfly
    and kill the b*stards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Dandruff is a good description :) it's hard to know what to do because its my herbs

• Advertisement

Spraying them with a jet of water from the hose is a good way. They may return but always in diminishing numbers. Very effective. Squishing is the ultimate :) if you only have a few plants just blast them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

It's just aphids. Spray the plant with soapy water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Get a batch of ladybirds (and watch them fly away on you perhaps!)

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/ladybirds/

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

Pour some fully fat milk over the leaves, that'll learn them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I shake some off and feed them to my fish before blasting the rest off with the hose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement