Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native Vegetables and Fruits of Ireland?

Options
  • 20-06-2013 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I am looking for a list of vegetables, fruits, herbs, sea vegetables that grow in Ireland, it's for an illustrated collection I am doing. Does anyone have a concise list, native food and food grown here over several years thats been part of our ancestors and ours diet?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tough one that. Hard to say when many vegetable were introduced to Ireland. For example Wild Carrot is a native plant but who cultivated it to the common veg we now know and when were they grown in Ireland. The potato is an iconic Irish veg but is not really native. All cabbages are culivars so are they native. Wild raspberry is found throughout Ireland but is the garden plant native? Not much help I know but it's a huge subject. Should lead to plenty of discssin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Have you contacted Irish Seed Savers?
    They have various native collections

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sea Samphire, Dulse and Carrageen would likely have been in paleo diets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Wild Strawberry's. Had some the other day - delicious.

Advertisement