Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&C, hysteroscopy and laparoscopy

Options
  • 20-06-2013 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Hi girls,

Had my appointment yesterday, I was too upset to post last night, getting ever closer to the two years TTC mark, and still nothing.

We got all our test results yesterday, ovulating fine, FSH hormone and egg reserves perfect and husbands sperm analysis was great.

Doctor said she wants to do a d&c hysteroscopy and laparoscopy to rule out tube blockages, low to moderate endo and any other womb issues. Also she is keeping me on a low dose (25mg) of clomid. The earliest appointment they have is Dec, kind of mixed feeling about this. I noewas glad they are taking things serious and we are getting moving, but at the same time wasn't expecting to have the operation, little bit all over the place right now. Has anyone had these done?

Thanks
    Lou xxx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Oh and also a dye test :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Very thorough set of tests there, and great news that everything so far is good. No show stoppers.

Lap and dye will give them good results to see if there is anything wrong. D&c is probably no harm.

Low dose chlomid is something as well.

Fingers crossed it happens for you before december... One of my best buddies was heading in for a lap and dye three weeks ago, did the hospital pregnancy test as a precaution beforehand and found out they were expecting there and then. They had been trying 7 years with endo.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 7 lollisue

Why did the doc prescribe clomid if you are ovulating on your own?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lollisue wrote: »

Its common enough to prescribe it despite ovulation. It can enhance the quality of the egg, strengthen ovulation, and also maybe doubles your chances by helping you to release 2 eggs instead of one.

I had 29 cycles of disappointment despite ovulating perfectly and on my third clomid cycle I conceived. Twins in fact, (though I lost one at 8 weeks)

Stickybean, I know how you feel - it was a bittersweet relief when the medical process starts. Relief because you are actually taking matters into your own hands but a little sad and a little scared at it becoming "medical"

I had the dye only. Hurt for about 10 seconds and it was grand after, if a bit shaky. Didnt have the Lap or D&C. Anecdotally, women have been known to get pregnant right after those procedures as they can clear any minor blockages. I hope it goes well for you. :)

lollisue wrote: »

I have a very irregular cycle, when I was on clomid for the first two months my cycle was 28 days, now my third month it has been a bit longer, so for me it was to help regulate my cycle and increase my chance of more releasing more than one egg :)

• Advertisement

Neyite wrote: »
    Its common enough to prescribe it despite ovulation. It can enhance the quality of the egg, strengthen ovulation, and also maybe doubles your chances by helping you to release 2 eggs instead of one.

I had 29 cycles of disappointment despite ovulating perfectly and on my third clomid cycle I conceived. Twins in fact, (though I lost one at 8 weeks)

Stickybean, I know how you feel - it was a bittersweet relief when the medical process starts. Relief because you are actually taking matters into your own hands but a little sad and a little scared at it becoming "medical"

I had the dye only. Hurt for about 10 seconds and it was grand after, if a bit shaky. Didnt have the Lap or D&C. Anecdotally, women have been known to get pregnant right after those procedures as they can clear any minor blockages. I hope it goes well for you. :)

Thanks Neyite, you took the words out of my mouth, I am delighted the clinic is taking us so seriously and that we are getting things moving, but at the same time I am really nervous and a little scared. I am in a way delighted I will be under anesthetic for all the tests so hopefully it won't be too bad.

And in the mean time, who know what will happen. We have decided to take a couple of months of. I will take the clomid, but I have run out of OPK's and am not going to order any till August, that way we can enjoy our summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

My wife had the lap and dye done to check for tubal blockages. And the following cycle we had a biochem pregnancy. Our first positive sign and we were delighted. It's not uncommon to get pregnant after such a procedure and most IVF clinics even offer an endometrial scratch procedure prior to embryo trabsfer if there are suspected implantation problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Didnt have the d &c but i had the othe two procedures done,i was under anesthetic for it,the only pain afterwards was in my shoulder blades from the rape air but they give you pankillers for that,the way i looked at it was it was something i had to go through to rule out causes,i had slight endo but they burned that off when they found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pennyloves

Hi Stickybean,

I know how you feel. I had my hycosi done yesterday and I was told that I have an 'abnormality' in my uterine cavity, it could be a septum but I will have to have the same procedure as you so they can find out. I was devastated. I would be extremely grateful if you could tell me where you are going to get this done and if you know anything else about this procedure. I've spent the morning reading all sorts on the internet and I am more confused than ever.

It makes me feel a little better to know that I am not alone. You were the first person to post a lovely reply to my first post on this site and now we seem to be going through similar things. Thank God for this site!!!

Hi Pennyloves,

Hope you are feeling okay after your Hycosi.

We are going to the Merrion fertility clinic (it is attached to Holloes Street Maternity hospital).

I am not having my procedure until December, I have stopped reading up on it. I was really freaking myself out. We have also stopped all the OPK's, timing sex, cervical muscus checks, everything, we promised out selves a couple of months break, and I have to say I feel much better. We are having sex when we like and there is no pressure. If anything we are doing it more cause the fun is there. Now I am still taking clomid, but thats it.

Hope you are doing okay xxx
    pennyloves wrote: »
    Hi Stickybean,

I know how you feel. I had my hycosi done yesterday and I was told that I have an 'abnormality' in my uterine cavity, it could be a septum but I will have to have the same procedure as you so they can find out. I was devastated. I would be extremely grateful if you could tell me where you are going to get this done and if you know anything else about this procedure. I've spent the morning reading all sorts on the internet and I am more confused than ever.

It makes me feel a little better to know that I am not alone. You were the first person to post a lovely reply to my first post on this site and now we seem to be going through similar things. Thank God for this site!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭stargirl.gra

Hi stickybean, i had a laparoscopy, dye, d&c and ovarian drilling done last thursday. It's nothing to be nervous about, i was nervous about the anaesthetic alright but then the anaesthetist said it's statistically more dangerous to go on an airplane than have anaesthetic. Pain wise i have none what soever! I wasnt even given painkillers leaving the hospital (i did find that odd but tis fine).i have three keyhole sites, all have disolvable stitches in and only get a teeny bit stingy every now and again but nothing to be nervous about. My tummy is bruised but again it's not sore. All in all im so happy i had it done. Like you, we're trying two years in august. I had clomid at the beginning of the year to no avail so this is why he wanted to do the drilling. I didnt see the doc after the procedure though so i dont know the outcome and wont until i go back to him for post op but sure..... We gave ttc a break the last two or so month. My friend died in april and my dad died last month so didnt feel like it. I got my period sat after the procedure so at least im straight into a new cycle and so we're ready now to get back to work:D

Thank you for your post as I will be going for that procedure in the next few weeks. Can you tell me the recovery time as I work with children and I am not sure whether I should get a week or two afterwards as I am on my feet and running around all day.

Delighted everything went so well for you, hopefully everything will start to happen in the next few months..good luck:)

Well i'm a dog groomer so i've taken 2 weeks out because i didnt want to be bending in over the bath too soon with sore keyhole sites or have a dog jump up on me and smack a paw into my tummy. Although like it's not painful you're still tender like i still have my stitches covered coz im afraid of them snagging on my clothes and that. Hard to know how much time to take really especially since kids can be a bit rough, like if it were me i'd still take the two weeks lol, get a bit of a break :P

Okay, I'd prefer to take more time just in case as there's nothing worse than feeling awful with a bunch of children needing your attention! I'll ask the doc what he thinks. I am delighted for you that you are over it now and looking forward to the future. Thanks for the advice:)

Thanks Stargirl, good to read it wasn't too bad. I ahve read some horror stories online, so I have stopped reading. But great to hear that you are getting sorted.

What is the drilling? I have never heard of that one.

When will you get the results?

Really sorry to hear about your friend and your dad, must be a very emotional place for you right now, I really hope you are doing okay pet xxx

The drilling is where they take an electrode and for 4 seconds, using 4 watts of electricity they drill 4 or more holes in your ovaries (google image it, they just look burned). So the idea behind it is it draws your brains and therefore hormonal and nerves attention back to your ovaries. I produce fsh and lh but i may not be ovulating. My numbers decreased dramatically on clomid so he wants to just reinvigorate my ovaries. My husband reckons it's like acupuncture in that by upsetting an area of your body, your brain remembers it's there and draws it's attention back to repairing it. Online statistics say 80% of people begin to ovulate and 50% get pregnant so watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Hi all. I am due to have a Laparoscopy on Wednesday but don't know a whole lot about the procedure. Does every woman have a d&c along with this and is vaginal bleeding common after this procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am due to have a Laparoscopy on Wednesday but don't know a whole lot about the procedure. Does every woman have a d&c along with this and is vaginal bleeding common after this procedure?

I didnt have a d&c with mine,Lap dye and hysteroscopy is what i had done,had no bleeding afterward,If they idnt say you needed a d&c done then i'd imagine it's only the procedure they mention,hope this helps.

QueenBee1 wrote: »

I haven't had mine yet, but read a lot (too much in fact) into these procedures. I am getting the D&C as they to date have found nothing wrong, so they want to run a full set of tests.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on pet xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

stickybean wrote: »
    I haven't had mine yet, but read a lot (too much in fact) into these procedures. I am getting the D&C as they to date have found nothing wrong, so they want to run a full set of tests.

Best of luck, and let us know how you get on pet xxx

Hey sticky bean ! I had the laparoscopy yesterday, very very sore today can just about walk been stuck to the couch all day! But the good news is I don't have endometriosis! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 helserbelser

Hi stickybean...how you doing now? I am iff to see gynae this Friday,doc did mention laparoscopy ...nervous about it,but over a year after mc so need answers now

Not going till December, just trying to get prepared :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Iv had all of these tests and ops done and within a few weeks i was pregnant.. Dont be worried, the op is only sore for a few days but is worth it if you have endo as it wipes the slate clean and your very fertile up to 6 months after..

Good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Iv had all of these tests and ops done and within a few weeks i was pregnant.. Dont be worried, the op is only sore for a few days but is worth it if you have endo as it wipes the slate clean and your very fertile up to 6 months after..

Good luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Iv had all of these tests and op done and within a few weeks i was pregnant.. Dont be worried, the op is only sore for a few days but is worth it if you have endo as it wipes the slate clean and your very fertile up to 6 months after..

Good luck x

Thanks Craft-Chel, looking forward to getting it done and over with, getting very stressed thinking about the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

I'm getting all of these procedures done next Tuesday. Getting a bit nervous but excited to be getting them done and hopefully, as you say Crafty-Chel, wipe the slate clean!! I should have gotten them done a few weeks ago but the op was cancelled, so I’ve been psyching myself up again lately. I have a niggling thought that everything will be fine for us once the procedures are done and I know I’ll be massively disappointed if I’m not pregnant immediately! Positive thinking but not too positive ;)

I had a hysteroscopy done in sep and the surgeon found a septum and removed it. I was dreading going through it, especially the general anaesthetic etc. But I have to say I am so glad I got it done as I would still be getting my hopes up every month for nothing. I am starting obthe cclomid at the end of this month and I am hoping and praying things will work out. Please don't worry about the procedure itself as it is over before you know it and you will feel better knowing that things are actually progressing. Please let me know how you get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

I’ll keep you posted for sure. Yeah as nervous as I am about the procedure, the thought of actually taking a positive step towards (hopefully) finding a solution to the problem is outweighing the nervousness. Fingers crossed for us all on this journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crafty-Chel

Dont get stressed, its a very simple op and you should be home after a few hours and if your doc is anything like mine they they will call you within a few days to let you know how everything went and may even tell you on the day..

Keep us posted xx

Advertisement