Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair!

• 20-06-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Lola is loosing a lot of hair. I know about winter coats etc but there is still a lot of hair coming off her coat. Help please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My lot are moulting like mad, some of them already seemed to lose their winter coat a couple of months ago and are loosing it again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

me too, its white a nightmare. Eating white hair for breakfast dinner and tea. Could of made a fortune on white fur coats. No amount of brushing or washing makes it any easier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Phew! Glad to hear it's not just happening here! The usual winter moult should've finished weeks ago, but has just gone on and on! My poor hoover!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

think i read something a while back about temp being the trigger for coating if so it would make sense the way they are coating at the moment after all mid twenties 1 week low teens the next and yes mine are like shredding machines for the last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i cleaned enough hair out of the hoover to make a new dog the other day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

me too, its white a nightmare. Eating white hair for breakfast dinner and tea. Could of made a fortune on white fur coats. No amount of brushing or washing makes it any easier.

Every cup of tea or coffee has at least one hair floating in it, I take things out of the oven and see the hairs :rolleyes: I've never known it this bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The weather's been unseasonably warm! :D Probably why the dogs are shedding more than usual, trying to keep cool poor things...

muddypaws wrote: »
    Every cup of tea or coffee has at least one hair floating in it, I take things out of the oven and see the hairs :rolleyes: I've never known it this bad.

I envy you your one hair per cup :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

It's like I have a brand new white carpet. I didn't realise quite how bad it was until I was on the ground on my stomach playing with Poppy this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Not only is Boo moulting like mad, her coat has lost its condition. Not as shiny. Someone please reassure me that when she's finished moulting, that lovely shine will come back?

She's only half German Shepherd but she does get the occasional little tuft of moulting hair that is SO satisfying to pull out.

• Advertisement

boomerang wrote: »

She's only half German Shepherd but she does get the occasional little tuft of moulting hair that is SO satisfying to pull out.

Ooh, oooh, I know exactly what you mean, those little chunks of undercoat that sit there begging to be pulled out? A real GSD thing, but I'll bet the husky and mal owners know it too!
    When I see people out walking their ungroomed GSDs who are covered in them, I itch to go over and pull those suckers out :-)

Boo's coat will come back! The GSD coat here is moulting, but only in the past couple of days has taken a turn for the better, she actually looks pretty lovely now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Me too, me too! :D

Boo only gets a few; right now she has quite a few more than normal, which I am whipping out with glee each time I see one. :D

I'm such a clucky mum, but the condition of her coat is a big thing with me. A bit of vanity on my part , I think. :D Over the winter we started adding a teaspoon of cider vinegar to her breakfast each morning and her coat was so shiny I'm sure it could be seen from space. :) Just as she is getting older now I'm not so confident that the gloss will come back each time after moulting so that is comforting to know, thanks DBB!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Oh thank goodness it is not just me. I was convinced I was going mad, that there was just no way that amount of hair could still be around the house. Jack Russell's are normally terrors for molting but I am surprised she is not bald with the amount she is dropping at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dogs don't shed, but the cats do and boy are they showing it at the moment.
    I've brushed jake 3 times this week and got a ball of ginger hair the size of a tennis ball each time! One cat can't have that much hair!
    Toby isn't bad, but Mouse is loosing the kitten coat so grey fluff everywhere, and brushing is jus t a game to her, one which results in me being grabbed, bitten and kicked, not really hard but hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I have hair socks!!

My lab x girl is extremely hairy anyway but the amount that is coming off the greyhound is amazing! You wouldn't think she had that much hair to look at her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Glad I'm not the only one dealing with this, my hall for some reason is like the Wild West, ill be walking through and suddenly a tumbleweed of hair will just roll on by :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

So glad I now have a non-shed dog! It was a nightmare when I had the cats though. My boy being a British Blue X didn't shed so much. My tortie girl? White patches (never the other colours mind!!) EVERYWHERE!! Had to invest in a rubber broom and a Dyson in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

This is so unfair :confused: We're still waiting for Sheebs to start (gsd) She is dying with any sort of heat but not one tuff of hair has fallen ( pulled :o ) out yet ... I'm one way I'm thinking great no hair on the other she looks massive at the minute! Below is the results of last years de-pouffing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

keaves wrote: »
    This is so unfair :confused: We're still waiting for Sheebs to start (gsd) She is dying with any sort of heat but not one tuff of hair has fallen ( pulled :o ) out yet ... I'm one way I'm thinking great no hair on the other she looks massive at the minute! Below is the results of last years de-pouffing!

mother-of-god thats some amount of hair!!! Was that all pulled? How long did it take?!?

My dogs are loosing their body weight in hair a day it seems like. I invested recently in a pet-hair-vacuum - you can see the colour of the rugs again!! Those dog-hair-tumbleweeds wandering through every room of the house are just so embarassing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

It was over 3-4 week period but the majority came from one day where she just let me keep plucking and brushing!
    This will sound gross :o but it was her first coat blow out with me and I was a bit amazed at the amount coming out so after the first 3 weeks of her shedding I decided to keep a bag with her brushes and just added to it every time I brush/plucked her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

My dogs shed all year round, but Jess is shedding like crazy at the moment. Black floor tiles and white dogs are NOT a good combo.

I was brushing her out on the patio the other evening and her hair was coming off in clumps. It was a bit breezy so the clumps were flying around like bubbles. In the end I had to stop because they were both going nuts chasing them!!

Advertisement