Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoC 9.5: Beervolution tournament. 13th July Tolka bar

Options
  • 20-06-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

What what, another tournament? So soon? And not even a full number jump?
    That's right, and we're in a bar this time too. So there's that.

We'll be hosting this one over in the Tolka bar (link with a map to follow), so some of you might remember it. We've got the venue from 1:30 onwards, up till 1:30 in the morning. We'll be using our kit out of the Exchange, so that should be good enough for the day. We will need people to bring patched consoles, though, and these are the games we'll be playing;
    SF4, MvC, Injustice and 1 more game decided by vote on a separate thread.
    Tournament order will be SF first, then Injustice then MvC, then Mystery Game! (MvC and SF may swap if the SF crew think they can play better after a few pints :P )

Because this is in the Tolka bar, we will be putting down a 150 euro deposit on the place, which we will get back at the end of the session.

Tournament entry will be 7 euro for 1 game, 10 euro for multiple. Prize pot will be split in accordance with the numbers, the more who turn up, the bigger the pot at the end of the day.
    As always, bringing a console will net you free entry to a tournament of your choosing, provided the console is up to date, and you have PM'd me your details of what you're bringing.

Also, big ups to TheMikenyan, for doing the legwork on checking out the space we're getting. :)
    Also, also, I cannot promise causals at this event, but, if we have one or two spare monitors, we might be able to swing something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Tournament Rules and Format.

Format is as follows; All tournaments are double elimination. Each match will consist of 3 games with each game beings best of 3 rounds, except for UMvC3, which will be best of 3 games. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played. Any game with with a different rule set will be played according to its tournament standard type.
    Players who placed in top 8 in the prior 3 DoCs or Infernos (where applicable) will be seeded accordingly. All others will be randomly seeded.

1. All characters are useable, but if you require DLC characters, please make that known prior to your match.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after loosing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he looses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set. In UMvC3, orders of characters may be changed, but assist types may not.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute. This includes pausing during cinematic supers/hypers, except in the case of a character death being guaranteed by the super/hyper.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed. (Though it will be pretty damn hype.)

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

10. No white track suits please. :D

1 final update: This event takes place on Evo weekend! I trust someone else will go ahead and make the booking at the XGC, since I'll be pretty bogged down during the next two weeks.
    Remember to book it for the 14th (the Sunday) so it happens during the Grand Finals.
    I'd encourage people coming from further afield to try to make a long weekend out of it, the all nighter in the XGC is a blast every year, 12 hours+ of fightin' games and watchin' streams of people better than you (for the some of it, at least :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

We're not having this at the exchange?

Also, put down June by mistake

Nutrient wrote: »

Also, put down June by mistake
    We're having DoC 10, on the 10th of August there instead. They seem to have a lot of bookings overlapping when their goes down :pac:

Also, what are you talking about, crazy nutrient. You're so crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Nutrient wrote: »

What gave it away? :pac:

Also, the guys at Tolka said they may have a projector for us to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Did we actually rent the place out for ourselves or are we gonna be playing video games right smack in the middle of a busy pub? >.>

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    Did we actually rent the place out for ourselves or are we gonna be playing video games right smack in the middle of a busy pub? >.>
    It's completely ours. We have a function room with its own bar, and there's another private event in the main bar at the same time. Both are private, and there are no go-betweens at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Ah I want to come to both this and the all nighter but I don't think I can afford both. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

allnighter is the place to go... too much fun. I cant wait.

Ah I want to come to both this and the all nighter but I don't think I can afford both. :mad:

Bring a console, get in free to a tourney, ask someone in the area if it's okay to bunk a couch for the night :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Voa wrote: »
    Bring a console, get in free to a tourney, ask someone in the area if it's okay to bunk a couch for the night :pac:

This. I did the same last year on Evo weekend so that I could attend both the tournament and the all nighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

I'm up for that. I don't want to bring my monitor this time, though, it got a bit banged up last time (luckily not the screen but I don't want to risk it, sorry guys). The console's no problem, though.

Anyone got a sofa or floor space I can nab? (I can get a hostel again if anyone else needs it more).

In other news, today I am booting up my 360 for the first time since DoC 8... trying to learn how to Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I would absolutely love to go to the all nighter, and while it isn't in my nature or normal behaviour to ask for favours or to impose on people, would anyone be awesome enough to let me crash at theirs? I can always get a hostel or something if all fails but I would definitely make it up to said person if they were kind enough! Never been to one of these and want to go see all the heads, been a long time :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

New DoC logo for the vids:

IVccP2Jl.png

also, I hope to be able to allow you to plug your headphones in while you play on the recording set up!

New DoC logo for the vids:
    also, I hope to be able to allow you to plug your headphones in while you play on the recording set up!

If you have any bother with that, give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

conan_thank-you.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I can't promise anything, but I might be able to let one or two people crash at my gaff (15 min walk from the venue) on the night. I'll know a little closer to the time.

Sup chaps.
    Update time and reminder time.
    The polls are closed on the fourth game to run, and, what we have here is interesting. There are 10 people who want SF at the tourney, and the majority there is for SF Vanilla. We then have 17 people who would rather another game, and there's the highest amount is for KoF.
    I'm rather undecided. On the one hand, the majority of SF turbo chaps will probably happily play Vanilla, and it does make for a good drunken tourney. On the other, there is a very valid point that the majority of voters didn't want SF, and would rather another game. Whoever can make their case best in this thread will be championing the game, I suppose :P

One other thing is also that we're getting the venue free* (*with a 150 deposit). The caveat on the deposit is that if they don't make 150 on the night on us, we don't get the deposit back. Now, this is in a pub, and it's Evo weekend: I'm sure there'll be no issue with this at all, but if you're hanging about thinking "should I have one more?", the answer should be yes :P

Anyone have any legit thoughts or comments on this?

Dublin prices? They'll make 150 off me alone.

Also; SF won the vote, everyone knows how to play it, so anyone can get involved. It'll be a throwaway tourney with no real prestige, sure, but it'll be a fun 4th game and probably get some hype going, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Smash Bros Melee!

It's an evo game, we've never had a tourney for it, it's great fun and I can supply the full set-up.

Also I'm driving so I can't drink, and this will add some small joy to my life.

I wonder how many of the people who voted for sf4 vanilla are gonna show up for it

Kanped wrote: »
    Dublin prices? They'll make 150 off me alone.

Also; SF won the vote, everyone knows how to play it, so anyone can get involved. It'll be a throwaway tourney with no real prestige, sure, but it'll be a fun 4th game and probably get some hype going, too.

Tolka's very cheap, even by Dublin standards, only 3.50 a pint.

Vanilla SF4 really had no business being in the poll at all - or Vanilla anything for that matter.

It's also not even remotely fair to the players of other games to have two versions of the same game, especially since SF players don't actually come to play it at casuals anymore.

I don't play Tekken at all, but as it has had the strongest representation after Injustice at casuals in the last few months, and I think it's only fair that those guys get the spot (if not Melee, for the reasons Prinny stated).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

One other thing is also that we're getting the venue free* (*with a 150 deposit). The caveat on the deposit is that if they don't make 150 on the night on us, we don't get the deposit back. Now, this is in a pub, and it's Evo weekend: I'm sure there'll be no issue with this at all, but if you're hanging about thinking "should I have one more?", the answer should be yes :P

Anyone have any legit thoughts or comments on this?

How is that a deposit and not us being charged 150 euro for the venue? That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me to be honest Voa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Yeah that 150 deposit thing sounds really dodgy, I doubt we're gonna make 150 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    How is that a deposit and not us being charged 150 euro for the venue? That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me to be honest Voa.
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    Yeah that 150 deposit thing sounds really dodgy, I doubt we're gonna make 150 for them.

Something like this it'd be relatively standard. Allows them to not have a charge for the venue itself but it helps them cover costs and stops timewasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

I don't see the point in running KoF. The game hasn't seen play at casuals or anything in months. On top of that when out of practice the game takes forever. It's either going to be a huge time-sink or a one game alternative which won't make things fun for the people actually playing it. This is coming from someone who loves the game and wants it to be played a lot more.

My vote goes for TTT2. A poll on boards isn't an accurate representation of how many people would show for Tekken (since a fair chunk of players who regularly attend tournaments for it don't use this site regularly.). People would show for it and would be pumped to with the Evo grand finals for it being on the day beforehand.

I have no objections to any other game like Smash being run, I'd just really rather see a different game entirely than a previous iteration of a game that already has a showing at this tournament.

Fergus_ wrote: »

When I spoke to the guy, he said they wanted to make that much or close to that much. They're really sound, and I doubt that they're going to be nit-picky about it. They just want us spending money at the bar, rather than bringing our own **** with us.

And it wouldn't be that difficult to get in the region of 150. If, for example, there are 20 of us there, and we each buy 2 pints at 3.50 each, that's 140 right off the bat.

Obviously some people will spend more and some will spend less, and some won't be drinking, but you're making mountains out of molehills here.
    Orim wrote: »
    Something like this it'd be relatively standard. Allows them to not have a charge for the venue itself but it helps them cover costs and stops timewasters.

^ This.

we could find ourselves out 150 quid tbh, we have no idea how many ppl are gonna show up.

So I guess this is a calling card to people who haven't showed up to an event in a while to come now and support the community

• Advertisement

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    we could find ourselves out 150 quid tbh, we have no idea how many ppl are gonna show up.

So I guess this is a calling card to people who haven't showed up to an event in a while to come now and support the community

I personally would like to see this go well, and so do Tolka. They were dead on the last time they let us run an even there, and it become a great place to have for future events. It'd be a real shame if it all fell apart because people backed out over what's essentially a few pints.

Advertisement