Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DoC 9.5: Beervolution tournament. 13th July Tolka bar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

What Naphiel said pretty much sums up everything I was going to say. I love KOF but I am no where near competent in it yet and I don't know how many other people are. TTT2 will get a few people in if they are all told about it and bother to get off of their arses. However TTT2 could actually take a while to run. 40 min grand finals at the last tourney was long but it was hella hype though. If time is a big issue then Tekken could cause a slight problem but I seem to remember hearing that we have the venue for a while. Frankly I know little to nothing about Smash or the Smash players so I can't really comment on whether it should or shouldn't be at the tourney. Having a Vanilla something at this tourney is a bit silly whilst it might be fun to have at a casuals setup having a full tourney for it is a little unfair on people who play other games.

But if KOF or Tekken is there I am going to try my hardest to scrounge up some extra money and get down for this as well as the all nighter. If I do make it down to this I will be able to bring a Xbox so I can save myself a few quid :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Frankly I know little to nothing about Smash or the Smash players

You know me.

I am the Smash players.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

You know me.

I am the Smash players.

I love the fact that you wrote Smash players plural :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Personally I would have rather seen a fourth game be it smash or tekken or MK or whatever. Unless we play a vanilla tournament with a few jars, it's not going to be fun.

Speaking of:

The Tolka bar is a bar. They cannot open a room and employ a person and have us spend no money there. In effect all they are asking is we buy our drink there and not bring it in with us instead (I genuinely hope some people were not considering this as an option in a bar anyway). This is pretty standard from other bars I've organised any form of events with.

While the Woolshed did not give me a numerical sum, they did ask- several times- what kind of volume of people I was bringing.

I'll probably be having a couple of pints after SF is done anyway myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Raawron

I just think smash teams would be the most fun even if you've never played the game, its something everyone can watch and its super easy to follow, and has characters that everybody knows.

• Advertisement

From a hype and salt perspective: in Smash teams we can enable friendly fire versus team mates so people can accidentally (or purposefully) kill their own.

Also a dead and defeated team member can steal a life from their alive team mate in order to respawn themselves. Whether that team mate wants them to or not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

#bankirby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

So far the Smash crowd has been the most vocal and eloquent about their game.

Might well be Skullgirls Smash that makes it in. :D

Also, I'd weigh in on the deposit, but I feel that Doom and Orim have made the case clear so I don't really need to re-iterate their points. It's 150 that goes out of the community pot and then goes back into the community pot.

Also, can I get a few more PMs in (if you've already sent 1, feel free to send another :P), about consoles? We should be fine for using our monitors out of the exchange, so that'll be grand. Could people be sure to PM me so I know how many of each we have coming? (this includes those of you hype enough to bring a Wii to play Smash on, should it come to it).
    I might hound one or two chaps personally to see what they can bring, but we could always use more confirmed consoles.

I have the kit for a 4 player Smash set-up myself. I don't think anyone else would need to bring anything.

I will also run it, coach the players and (if we can record any) do the commentary.

I got this

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

I have the kit for a 4 player Smash set-up myself. I don't think anyone else would need to bring anything.

I will also run it, coach the players and (if we can record any) do the commentary.

I got this

Bringin' my Wavebird, because **** your cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

omgomgomg. Friendly Fire Smash teams!?

Agggh I was already going but if I ever wasn't going to, now I'd have to say "no, I'm going".

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Lythero wrote: »
    Agggh I was already going but if I ever wasn't going to, now I'd have to say "no, I'm going".

I'm confused :confused:

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    I'm confused :confused:

He's excited by the tournament, but has temporarily lost the ability for proper human speech due to fear of how badly I'm going to body him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Time to bring back my gdlk Kirby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Gutted I'm not going to be there.

You'd all be in fear of my sausage resets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Mr game & watch only tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Never actually played Smash. Only thing I know about it is that Meta Knight is broken...

So 'pick Meta Knight' will be my strategy.

Kanped wrote: »
    Never actually played Smash. Only thing I know about it is that Meta Knight is broken...

So 'pick Meta Knight' will be my strategy.

It'd be a great strategy in Brawl, awful strategy in Melee though.

If we're playing Melee, Kanped, just tell all your opponents that Brawl's a better game. Their uncontrollable rage will greatly hamper performance and lead to an easy win.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Cant actually make this. Stag on same day. I completely forgot.
    Il be back for all nighter.

• Advertisement

Well I asked for the Monday off next week. Dis better be worth it >:C

Damn web fare for the 10.35 from Belfast is sold out. Any idea what time I need to be there for if I'm bringing gear and want to play?

edit:

NVM. Bought the bullet and paid full price to get in on time. Got a hostel, too. Weekend in July sends the prices a bit mental, though so no swanky private abode for me this time. Ah well. See y'all there!

13th, 14th and 15th off work.

Fighting game weekend LESS GO!

In light of Nintendo America's recent behaviour, I'm not sure if recording Melee is either morally or even legally possible to do anymore.

If you don't want to upload it then I WILL.

phoenixstandup.gif

This is absolute bull**** coming from Nintendo. I don't care if Japanese developers get anal about their IPs beyond reason. Taking a decisive stand against both promotion for their games and essentially pissing in the faces of fans donating to charity for a noble cause is unforgivable. I'm a huge die-hard Nintendo fan, but I really hope the media and their audience lay the smack down so that this nonsense is stopped once and for all.

EDIT: All fixed now. Please don't hunt me down, Reggie.

Well said. The gameplay isn't theirs. I'm not watching to get a glimpse of Bowser or Mario; I want to see the tactics, mind games etc. (Smash has those, right? :p). It could be stick figures for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Raawron

They'd claim copyright on stick figures too cause of game and watch lol

I appreciate the sentiment but I think it's ok to go on my channel- although if you wanna mirror a fight to get people interested Lee that's cool

One last quickie update about the timetable and map:
    Map of how to get there from the station: http://goo.gl/maps/u3kaU
    Note: you can get a commuter train to Drumcondra station, or there are buses from town to get you there as well (I'm not sure of the numbers, if anyone was local to the spot, please chime in :) )
    Timetable:
    We're getting in the venue at 1:30, so we'll be running tournaments from 2pm onwards (or as close as we can manage after setup). Our running order will be:
    SF4
    MvC3
    IGAU
    Smash.
    Casuals/Money matches if anyone feels robbed during the tournament/wants to expose frauds.
    MvC and IGAU may be swapped if people need to get back on buses/trains. Please tell me, either in this thread or via PM if you desperately need to be out by a certain time. I'm running this with the intent of using as much of our time as possible, as we have the venue booked till 1.30 in the morning :P
    We'll be just running the games straight through, no overlapping (well, maybe some during grand finals if people want to get their games done, but we're not pushed).
    Also, for smash, it will be whatever Prinny decides to bring. (I vote for Brawl. Ike's my boy. Roy just doesn't cut it.)

• Advertisement

Oh, I'm totally okay making the Smash tourney a 2v2, friendly fire/items on if people want, or a super cereal 1v1, no items, fox only, final destination.
    I really don't mind one way or the other.

Advertisement