Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

baby boy's...

Options
  • 20-06-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

Well my little man is now 10 weeks and at his 8 week jabs the doctor checked him over and suggested that his pee pee skin should be pulled back regularly. Iv tried a few times and not liking it at all so rarely do it at all. Thing is iv noticed that his pee pee is kinda swollen and standing up a lot. Just wanted to know has anyone else with little boys had this experience before?

He's the first boy in the family it's been all girls, I only have sisters so no one I can ask and I'm afraid to go to my doctor again if that's why it's swollen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Well my little man is now 10 weeks and at his 8 week jabs the doctor checked him over and suggested that his pee pee skin should be pulled back regularly. Iv tried a few times and not liking it at all so rarely do it at all. Thing is iv noticed that his pee pee is kinda swollen and standing up a lot. Just wanted to know has anyone else with little boys had this experience before?

He's the first boy in the family it's been all girls, I only have sisters so no one I can ask and I'm afraid to go to my doctor again if that's why it's swollen.

Hi ss, my lil man is 15 weeks and he's the same! Sort of looks well endowed...! Get the gp to have a look whenever you're next in but I wouldn't be concerned about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

I know he doesn't cry with it but it doesn't half look uncomfortable for him in his chair when he's strapped in can imagine it's not pleasant. Will mention next day I'm in

I know he doesn't cry with it but it doesn't half look uncomfortable for him in his chair when he's strapped in can imagine it's not pleasant. Will mention next day I'm in

Uncomfortable even with his nappy and vest on? That does sound a bit odd and worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

There is absolutely no need at all to pull at your baby's foreskin.
    If you're worried, I'd suggest seeing a different doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

liliq wrote: »
    There is absolutely no need at all to pull at your baby's foreskin.
    If you're worried, I'd suggest seeing a different doctor.

Totally agree. What kind of doctor is suggesting that??!?!?!?!?!?!!!

His foreskin won't fully retract naturally until he is in his early teens, to force it now is barbaric.

Just incredible that a doctor can say this, they should be struck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

One of the baby books i have said not to pull back the foreskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

A polish mother told me I should do this with my son. I'd never been told by my gp or phn so I asked my mother who had two boys and she said not to as it can cause infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Yea I didn't understand it so I stopped heard nothing like that before

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭traineeacc

The doc told me not to do that but rather make sure he gets good long soaks in the batch and clean well after every nappy. My mum said she never did anything like that (pulled back skin) with my brother when he was a baby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

The doc told us to pull it back when it was softened up in the bath to help loosen it out but we stopped doing it . He is seven now and it doesnt seem to be a problem to him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I have a 7 month old and we have never done this. I am a manager in healthcare, my mother a midwife, my best friend a phn, my brother a consultant, and a good few if my friends midwives. I have never heard of people doing this to their baby boys. Having said this... I do not care for babies in my line of work. However... Have never been alerted or told to do this by mother, friends, gp, phn or paediatrician. Perhaps a health professional may tell a parent to do this if there is a problem... But I wouldn't think it would be common practice for all little boys... But I'm open to correction...

Please if his little man bits are swollen get them checked by a doctor. There may be absolutely nothing wrong but in my opinion you're better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Some little boys have a tight foreskin, if it is red around the top seek advice for the GP. My partner had it and had surgery to sort it as a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have a nearly 3 year old boy and have never been told to do this by doctor or nurse nor read about it in any baby or parenting books. I just wash his penis as normal.

What reason did the doctor give you for doing it? Was it red and sore before you started pulling the foreskin?

All babies can have swollen genitals when they are born for a few weeks due to the mother's hormones but I don't think it lasts that long.

Maybe I've been doing things wrong all along! When he has his bath, I usually pull back his foreskin and wash away the gunk. So I should just leave it alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I have a nearly 3 year old boy and have never been told to do this by doctor or nurse nor read about it in any baby or parenting books. I just wash his penis as normal.

What reason did the doctor give you for doing it? Was it red and sore before you started pulling the foreskin?

All babies can have swollen genitals when they are born for a few weeks due to the mother's hormones but I don't think it lasts that long.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was told to leave it, that it likely won't fully retract until he's a good few years older. It's causing him no issues.

As for the swelling (provided there's no injury/infection and it's not constant), baby boys and toddlers get practise erections from time to time and is nothing to worry about either.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I was told to leave it, that it likely won't fully retract until he's a good few years older. It's causing him no issues.

As for the swelling (provided there's no injury/infection and it's not constant), baby boys and toddlers get practise erections from time to time and is nothing to worry about either.

Unless you are changing a nappy, then they can be for peeing reasons! Straight up!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Unless you are changing a nappy, then they can be for peeing reasons! Straight up!!!

James can't pee with a baby boner. He was trying the last day and was very disturbed that his penis was just "too big". :pac:

Das Kitty wrote: »
    James can't pee with a baby boner. He was trying the last day and was very disturbed that his penis was just "too big". :pac:

My guy can, and now he is potty trained he has a few issues with it, especially when he gets one while doing a no2, there can be accidents.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If the foreskin is too tight, dirt or 'smegma' can get caught in there and can cause problems..

When my little guy was nearly 2 I noticed what looked like a lump on his penis so I took him to the GP.. Got a referral to the Urologist in Tallaght Hospital and he told me to apply a 1% Hydrochortizone cream to the top of his penis once a day.. which I did. No mention of pushing anything back myself.

Went back for his checkup last month and there was a big improvement.. the foreskin had loosened up considerably and the smegma had almost gone TG.

So he doesn't have to be seen again until he's 5, unless any infections occur in the meantime.. in which case they may decide to circumcise him :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement