Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sure it's just a faster form of walking, right?

Options
  • 20-06-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭

Ok - have been inspired to start a running log having chatted to a few of ye at the infamous Beer Mile. Am just back from a 10k run, but will start at the beginning...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Beer Mile – 14 June 2013

14.25 – 16th place – 2nd girl (out of a total of two girls…)

Decided to finally write my first race report. My memory might be a bit hazy due to a combination of passed time and, um, four Desperados in a mile.
    I went into the race with the plan to finish it at some point. Was kindly met by Krusty at the Luas and brought to the track, which didn’t look too scary apart from all the rain – but, hey – at least my beers weren’t going to get too warm!

A great combination of runners, nuns, pirates, zombies and pink rara skirts (and that was just the boys :P) lined up at the start; beers and bottle openers in hand. The whistle blew, the bottles turned upwards, and the chugging began.

I must have been thirsty ‘cause the first beer went straight down, and off I ran. Nobody else ran with me, and I looked back to see if I had done something wrong. Nobody was shouting at me, so I kept going.

Now, here’s the thing. A few people kindly mentioned that I started off in front for the first tiny bit of the race, but that was the end of my glory. About a third of the way through the track, two things happened:

(a) My legs realised that I can’t run that fast; and,

(b) My tummy realised that I was after necking a bottle of beer.

I slowed down to a jog, then to a slower jog, then, as I neared the end of the first lap, I went straight into a casual “I’m just strolling over to my beer” walk.
    The second beer took a lot longer. My necking skills were gone, plus, I was laughing so hard that I could barely get the bottle to my mouth.

The rest of the laps were very similar. Ran for a bit and then walked. (I am very ashamed of this – and, one thing I vow, is that I won’t ever walk during a beer mile again)! The third and fourth beers were slow. Faster than socially accepted at a family dinner perhaps, but certainly not up to beer mile standards. Half way through the last lap I decided that I was never going to run again. However, coming up towards the end, I saw somebody behind me (who, in fairness, was doing a fifth penalty lap) and got that little bit of competitive spirit to pick up the speed a bit and shamble my way to the finish. What was brilliant was the shouts of encouragement from the crowd. That was really what spurred me on to keep running to what I thought was the end. Then stop. Then realise I had only entered the drinking zone, then hop over the finishing line.

Absolutely loved the event and delighted to have taken part. I still have a leftover bottle of Desperados in my fridge. Every now and again I look at it with a combination of nausea and pride.

Docklands 10k Run – 20 June 2013

~54 mins

I signed up for the Docklands Run about six weeks ago or so. There was an option to do 5k or 10k. Pffff – 5k. Sure I walk 5k in the rain / snow / blistering heat before cutting turf to bring into the office for another day of grinding coal (at least, that’s how work feels sometimes – especially Mondays).

I had done a few 5k – 8k runs (slow) with a group, but I hadn’t done anything since the Beer Mile. My goal was to do this one in under an hour – and, also, to make it to 5k before talking a walking break.

Great atmosphere in the Docklands setting off. Apparently 5,000 people registered this year – although it didn’t look too packed. We joined the crowd. Realised we were in with the sub-40 runners. Moved quickly further back, and got ready to run.

Rookie mistake – I didn’t check the time on the clock when I crossed the starting line. I’m giving myself a conservative estimate that it was 3 minutes in – giving me just under 54 mins – although I’m hoping it was more like four.
    The thing about the Docklands Run is that the 10k track is the 5k track done twice. I wasn’t sure if I’d like that – but it was nice to pass the first km mark and know that the next time I saw it I would be 6k in. I liked knowing where I’d see the km markers on the second round too.

The first km flew by, but this would be a combination of being fresh and running slower as we tried to get through the crowd. After about 1.5kms, the track doubles back on itself, so we started to see the serious runners going in the opposite direction on the road – impressive. Just before the third km, we hit the water station, which was perfectly timed. I think that was when I got into my stride and acclimatised.

The run back to the finish of the first 5k was grand – especially as the track is right beside where I work, so I was distracted by passing places I knew well. Nothing hurt – my legs and lungs felt fine. At this stage, I’d lost my running mates. Normally I’m crap at running alone –I end up thinking of how far I have left to go, etc., but, for once, I ended up just zoning out, chilling to my music, and jogging along.

Got to the finish line to start again at a race time of 28.57. I subtracted my three minutes, and started to wonder if I could make it sub-55.

Back around again. After about 6k or so, I started to feel light headed. Was a bit disgusted, ‘cause nothing else hurt, so I picked myself a pace buddy and slowed down. At this point, I was past the 5k mark without stopping to walk (one goal achieved), but now I really wanted to keep going without wussing out. The pace buddy worked (they’ll never know what they meant to me!), and got me up to the water station again. The water station led to crossing the bridge and heading back to the home stretch, so I was determined to keep on running.

Got back into my zoned out zone for a while (a sweet Leftfield track in my headphones helped), and I ran happily at my pace.

By the time I saw the 9k mark, my head was getting a bit swimmy again. My breathing is probably all wrong. I hope, one day, that the last km will be a sprint but, for today, I took it easy and only sped up slightly when I saw the finish line before me. I crossed the line at official 56.57 and promptly sat down on the nearest pavement.

All in all, happy out with the time and, more particularly, to have run the 10k without slowing to a walk. (I know – walking is probably a cardinal sin, but left to my own devices, I’ve always ran way too fast and knackered myself out, so maybe I’m learning how to pace!).

End result – two goals achieved. Now, just looking for the next 10k to try and improve. Sub 50 next goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Damn fine time. Well done! Sounds like there's plenty more to come off that 10k time, if you had a mind to do it. Planning on doing any more 10ks or are you saving yourself for the next beer mile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Most definitely the first training log to open with a beer mile! Impressive!

Best of luck.

Cheers!! Gonna try a few more 10ks to get in training before the next beer mile. I definitely know which one is harder!! Think the next race I can do is an 8k in a few weeks (the rest are all half marathons - don't think I'm ready for that just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Best of luck with the log. Keep your eyes peeled for any beer 200m races; that's your distance;)

Advertisement