Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prevent ticks

• 20-06-2013 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭

What is the best way to stop ticks getting on my dog. He seems to be getting him often lately.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It's hard to stop the little feckers climbing on board. You can avoid tick-rich areas, such as places where cattle or deer graze, and areas with bracken growing... They love bracken!
    You could give your dog a once over with a fine-tooth comb after your walks, to brush them off, and look for them up in the top layers of coat... Though they can be hard enough to see as they're pretty small pre-feed.
    Otherwise, it's a matter of combatting them once they've attached: chemically using a spot-on anti tick product like Advocate (which you can pre-treat with. It does not stop ticks attaching though, but kills them once they start to feed), or spraying the tick direct with Frontline spray. Or you can use a tick removal tool which you can buy for small money in pet shops or online. I don't like just pulling them out by hand as the head stays put too often this way.
    Some people use Vaseline to coat the tick, or use other home remedies, many of which I've tried with mixed success, but are not necessarily safe to use on a dog.
    I can't stand them. Ick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Is there a season for ticks? We recently moved and had an awful problem with the little blighters at first but recently not so much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Yep, their feeding season is spring and early summer, although with our cold spring this year I'd say the season started later than usual.

Advertisement