Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crystal Ball Gazing-Store Lamb trade this year??

• 20-06-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

What do sheep farmers reckon trade will be like for store lambs this July/August?
    Was chatting a neighbour that is thinking of creep feeding his store lambs to factory weights as he reckons traditional trade from big farmers up midlands /golden vale wont be there this year as Silage will be later up road and people wont need Store lambs to eat aftergrass.
    Personally think its too early to call it as good weather last few weeks saw huge spurt in growth which should leave decent first cuts on early farms.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

I think you might be right, had mine in to Click them yesterday and our lambs are miles ahead of last year as is the grass. If they continue to perform might be in the market for stores to keep on top of grass here....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Yea I think if people get decent first crop the year will start to catch back up on itself.
    Know of one fella here who had 80 round bales well wilted off a field he got 65 cut and saved dry off last year so if thats the same nationwide the cold spring will have less of an effect.

What do sheep farmers reckon trade will be like for store lambs this July/August?
    Looks like lamb trade will be steady for Summer,trade of live lambs to Libya( 38 to 40 kg) will mean good competition against the factories here and already store lamb trade is up in Marts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

In Tullow today 27 kg €67, 35 kg €75, neither sold, 38kg €85, 40kg €95 . Lambs under 38 kg hard to sell , lads looking for short keep stores . Nice 47kg border Leicester / Suffolk ewe lambs €120.
    Some hoggets on offer today first two pens €135 thinish greyface, €150 nice sharp suffolks , neither sold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Read in todays Farming Indo that Libya is taking store lambs I think that the price quoted was 2.5/kg liveweight. If this is so it will put a floor under the 25-40kg lambs. They too 5K last Friday 1K hogget rams and4K lamb rams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

In Tullow today 27 kg €67, 35 kg €75, neither sold, 38kg €85, 40kg €95 . Lambs under 38 kg hard to sell , lads looking for short keep stores . Nice 47kg border Leicester / Suffolk ewe lambs €120.
    Some hoggets on offer today first two pens €135 thinish greyface, €150 nice sharp suffolks , neither sold
    Nothing wrong with those prices,I think forward store lambs with good confirmation will be v valuable in next month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Read in todays Farming Indo that Libya is taking store lambs I think that the price quoted was 2.5/kg liveweight. If this is so it will put a floor under the 25-40kg lambs. They too 5K last Friday 1K hogget rams and4K lamb rams.

2.5/kg liveweight - Is that not more than the factories are paying?

Take the same 40kg lamb
    kills out at 45% = 18kg
    @ 5.30/kg* deadweight = 95.4

* Price of 5.30 taken form here)

Now - I know you'd take the lamb to 21kg deadweight, to get the maximum price from the factories.
    But it would seem that those prices are better...

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭eire23

Factorys paying 5.50 john. If that load of lambs travel well hopefully it becomes a repeat thing and it will keep the pressure on the factorys

With Ramadan ending on the 8th of august some of those forward stores are destined for that market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

Take the same 40kg lamb
    kills out at 45% = 18kg

Now - I know you'd take the lamb to 21kg deadweight, to get the maximum price from the factories.

liveweight quote down to €2.35 from at least 1 agent for now ,

have some over weight lambs I need to shift :eek:,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Take the same 40kg lamb
    kills out at 45% = 18kg

I tell all the locals that they're not getting enough when they're getting whats quoted in the journal, there's always more on offer,
    I see the boat is to be back in a fortnight, so it could be the year for sheep farmers,....hopefully
    Live exports for cattle not going so well I hear. Irish routes not as financially attractive for the ships as other routes

rancher wrote: »
    I tell all the locals that they're not getting enough when they're getting whats quoted in the journal, there's always more on offer,
    I see the boat is to be back in a fortnight, so it could be the year for sheep farmers,....hopefully
    Live exports for cattle not going so well I hear. Irish routes not as financially attractive for the ships as other routes

Hi Rancher,

I think you mentioned this on here before.

Well - I will say I am pretty much getting whats in the journal :( :mad:
    I send the lambs away to ICM, through a collection service organised by the marts.

I only have a small number, so I wouldn't have the same bargaining power as yourself.
    Plus, even if i did have - I am miles away from a factory, so to take lambs myself, it wouldn't be worth it. :(

I started using this service, for 2 reason
    1) Time - its easy to just drop them off, and not have to hang around the mart waiting
    2) I felt it would put me on an equal footing with everyone else.

But now, it seems 2) above isn't the case :(

Is there anyone else on here that sends lambs away like this? (through a mart of collection service)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

feck it I castrated all my ramb lambs this year with the tail ring. Was left with a god few last year and there was no market for them.

Hi Rancher,

I think you mentioned this on here before.

Well - I will say I am pretty much getting whats in the journal :( :mad:
    I send the lambs away to ICM, through a collection service organised by the marts.

I only have a small number, so I wouldn't have the same bargaining power as yourself.
    Plus, even if i did have - I am miles away from a factory, so to take lambs myself, it wouldn't be worth it. :(

I started using this service, for 2 reason
    1) Time - its easy to just drop them off, and not have to hang around the mart waiting
    2) I felt it would put me on an equal footing with everyone else.

But now, it seems 2) above isn't the case :(

Is there anyone else on here that sends lambs away like this? (through a mart of collection service)

As you see by eires comment there's nearly always 20c in it, but if I get that 20c.it cost €2 (10c/kilo) to transport them so...swings and roundabouts.
    I see they're trying to pull the price now that the boat has sailed, quoting as low as 5.20 on the journal.

As you see by eires comment there's nearly always 20c in it, but if I get that 20c.it cost €2 (10c/kilo) to transport them so...swings and roundabouts.
    I see they're trying to pull the price now that the boat has sailed, quoting as low as 5.20 on the journal.

Hi rancher,

I'm still paying the mart €3 / lamb for transport / fees... So that kinda balances your transport costs out (plus a bit more)

So am still down a bit... which is annoying... :mad:

Hi rancher,

I'm still paying the mart €3 / lamb for transport / fees... So that kinda balances your transport costs out (plus a bit more)

So am still down a bit... which is annoying... :mad:

If you're paying the mart, they should be negotiating a better price if they are sending in a good few lambs, you should divert the lorry to Kildare chilling a nod week to give ICM a fright. we're in a group and we're 100 miles from ICM

Exporters buying ram lambs next week through some marts, 35 kg + , must be eating meal , € 2.45/kg . That should help keep a floor under lamb prices

Exporters buying ram lambs next week through some marts, 35 kg + , must be eating meal , € 2.45/kg . That should help keep a floor under lamb prices

That's good news. Badly needed, u just have to see how the factories react when they get a chance like last week to pull prices to see the importance of competition. This will take lighter lambs out of the equation for later on on the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

whats the upper weight limit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭razor8

was told no upper limit and lambs are supposed to be heading tomorrow for boat, donegal mart collecting in the morning

• Advertisement

jomoloney wrote: »
    whats the upper weight limit ?

Don't know what the upper weight limit is

There were a lot of lambs in Tullow today for shipping I heard around 1800, a lot of them were factory weight and fit,

If anyone is bringing lambs to a shipping collection centre make sure to put all the tag numbers and the letter that follows the numbers on the dispatch document , that's 15 in total for each lamb or they will not be accepted

There were a lot of lambs in Tullow today for shipping I heard around 1800, a lot of them were factory weight and fit,

If anyone is bringing lambs to a shipping collection centre make sure to put all the tag numbers and the letter that follows the numbers on the dispatch document , that's 15 in total for each lamb or they will not be accepted

what were they making for around 45kgs mark?

have about 20 for mart tonight

razor8 wrote: »
    what were they making for around 45kgs mark?

have about 20 for mart tonight

They were paying a flat €2.45/kg.

45 kgs @2.45= €110.25

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

50kg lambs made 120 in our local mart today.

57kgs made €128 in our mart tonight

light store lambs were terrible trade, seen nice 35kg lambs making €60 and poor 25kgs cheviots making €34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

farming93 wrote: »
    50kg lambs made 120 in our local mart today.

At 2.45 a kilo live they would have come into 122.50 in Tullow today(less the 1 euro deduction) assuming they were rams.

Dont know if they have an upper weight limit but mix in a few lighter ones and easy enough to bring back average a couple of kilos if needed.

Wasnt there today but was told a few lame ones were rejected.

No idea how they check if eating meal but they must have been happy with the ones a couple of weeks ago.

Correct re. filling in the full 15 digit tag number.

Neighbour had 44.9 kilo thinnish(according to him!) ones come into 110 euro.
    Hard to see them making it in the factory .Unlikely to kill out over 20 kgs and even getting 5.50 the deductions make the live export look a better proposition for underfleshed rams.

They were very strict on lame lambs , looking around today id say a lot of the lambs were getting meal
    I wonder what the factories would be giving if there was no shipping, when they will only give the groups the quoted base price even though the groups have committed to supply the factories, no goodwill with the factories

With the bit of rain nationwide are fellas inclined to go out and buy Store lambs for after grass?....The Libyan market bound to be taking a lot of lambs out of equation.

• Advertisement

The price of all lambs has fallen €10-15 over the last two weeks, I suppose lads will start buying stores now that grass is growing but at what price?,
    Ramadan finishes on 9th august so that might put a lift under things for a while

Father took a bit of a spin to Manorhamilton Mart in Leitrim last night,thought the trade was quite good.Not that many fat lambs there but 44kg Suffolks made 92E.He thought good forward stores were a better trade,40 kg Suffolk x 81E, 38Kg Texels 79E.Lot of lighter hill type brocky lambs,say 30 kg making 55-60E.....plenty of farmers there competing for the better lots.

Father took a bit of a spin to Manorhamilton Mart in Leitrim last night,thought the trade was quite good.Not that many fat lambs there but 44kg Suffolks made 92E.He thought good forward stores were a better trade,40 kg Suffolk x 81E, 38Kg Texels 79E.Lot of lighter hill type brocky lambs,say 30 kg making 55-60E.....plenty of farmers there competing for the better lots.
    Had sheep at Tinahely show today, heard lambs are rising again, was told €5/kg.... anyone selling in the morning to any of the factories

Had sheep at Tinahely show today, heard lambs are rising again, was told €5/kg.... anyone selling in the morning to any of the factories

sold live tonight in mart 46kgs only got €91, not happy but let them off. back €23 in 3 weeks

factory was quoting 4.76 today i was told as base price

supposed to be another boat going in 3 weeks and will be looking for ram lambs so maybe give them another lift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

sold live tonight in mart 46kgs only got €91, not happy but let them off. back €23 in 3 weeks

supposed to be another boat going in 3 weeks and will be looking for ram lambs so maybe give them another lift

I wonder is the boats going to keep going every few weeks or what's the latest, would be handy to know, cheers

I wonder is the boats going to keep going every few weeks or what's the latest, would be handy to know, cheers

told a load of cattle going this week, then a load of sheep next. i doubt nobody knows how many will go. depends how happy the country that buys them are!

• Advertisement

Sold lambs last Thursday, grass fed, mainly vendeen, 44.1 kgs liveweight Working off average journal price €4.78kg + bonuses, average price kg. €4.99/kg.... lambs came into €99.91- € 3 deductions including €2 transport
    bought a new prattley weigher , so the live weights are accurate, and lambs were weighed in the evening so they were full

Heard that as well,cattle on next boat and then sheep after that but agents for shipping are starting to buy suitable lambs for boat already in small lots.

Sold lambs last Thursday, grass fed, mainly vendeen, 44.1 kgs liveweight Working off average journal price €4.78kg + bonuses, average price kg. €4.99/kg.... lambs came into €99.91- € 3 deductions including €2 transport
    bought a new prattley weigher , so the live weights are accurate, and lambs were weighed in the evening so they were full

You got a very good kill out with your vendeens, lambs seem to be ticking along nicely

your new toy must make live easier. can it weigh lambs automatically using there tag numbers?

You got a very good kill out with your vendeens, lambs seem to be ticking along nicely

your new toy must make live easier. can it weigh lambs automatically using there tag numbers?
    It would if I wasn't too mean to buy electronic tags, It tells you daily liveweight gain since last weighing as soon as you punch in tag number
    They seem to go into it easier, less noise might be the reason

i have a psion that i use that does the same but you have to manually input the tag and weight but it then show you gain and number of days since last weighing
    very handy for keeping a close eye on weight gains

• Advertisement

i have a psion that i use that does the same but you have to manually input the tag and weight but it then show you gain and number of days since last weighing
    very handy for keeping a close eye on weight gains

I think it really highlight the performance lost with lameness, ie a lamb comes in, shows up a bad DLWG and invariably he limps out of the pen.

I think it really highlight the performance lost with lameness, ie a lamb comes in, shows up a bad DLWG and invariably he limps out of the pen.

very true, it really stops the "he'll be alright til the next time their in" mindset

Was in Roscommon town other eve...lambs of all weights a good trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Any sign or word of the 'boat' getting filled up with lambs again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Is there any pick up in store lambs ,I hear there is not many being bought this yr

I was at the mart last week and they were a poor enough trade. There is a good bit of grass around but i think allot o cattlemen took extra grass for bales this year and are trying to shorten the winter with grazing cattle for longer.

If it got wet there will still be allot of gras to be grazed and there would be more interest in them i'd think. However the factories constantly pulling prices isnt helping either.

Advertisement