Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crystal Ball Gazing-Store Lamb trade this year??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Father took a bit of a spin to Manorhamilton Mart in Leitrim last night,thought the trade was quite good.Not that many fat lambs there but 44kg Suffolks made 92E.He thought good forward stores were a better trade,40 kg Suffolk x 81E, 38Kg Texels 79E.Lot of lighter hill type brocky lambs,say 30 kg making 55-60E.....plenty of farmers there competing for the better lots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Father took a bit of a spin to Manorhamilton Mart in Leitrim last night,thought the trade was quite good.Not that many fat lambs there but 44kg Suffolks made 92E.He thought good forward stores were a better trade,40 kg Suffolk x 81E, 38Kg Texels 79E.Lot of lighter hill type brocky lambs,say 30 kg making 55-60E.....plenty of farmers there competing for the better lots.
    Had sheep at Tinahely show today, heard lambs are rising again, was told €5/kg.... anyone selling in the morning to any of the factories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

rancher wrote: »
    Had sheep at Tinahely show today, heard lambs are rising again, was told €5/kg.... anyone selling in the morning to any of the factories

sold live tonight in mart 46kgs only got €91, not happy but let them off. back €23 in 3 weeks

factory was quoting 4.76 today i was told as base price

supposed to be another boat going in 3 weeks and will be looking for ram lambs so maybe give them another lift

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

razor8 wrote: »
    sold live tonight in mart 46kgs only got €91, not happy but let them off. back €23 in 3 weeks

supposed to be another boat going in 3 weeks and will be looking for ram lambs so maybe give them another lift

I wonder is the boats going to keep going every few weeks or what's the latest, would be handy to know, cheers

I wonder is the boats going to keep going every few weeks or what's the latest, would be handy to know, cheers

told a load of cattle going this week, then a load of sheep next. i doubt nobody knows how many will go. depends how happy the country that buys them are!

• Advertisement

Sold lambs last Thursday, grass fed, mainly vendeen, 44.1 kgs liveweight Working off average journal price €4.78kg + bonuses, average price kg. €4.99/kg.... lambs came into €99.91- € 3 deductions including €2 transport
    bought a new prattley weigher , so the live weights are accurate, and lambs were weighed in the evening so they were full

Heard that as well,cattle on next boat and then sheep after that but agents for shipping are starting to buy suitable lambs for boat already in small lots.

Sold lambs last Thursday, grass fed, mainly vendeen, 44.1 kgs liveweight Working off average journal price €4.78kg + bonuses, average price kg. €4.99/kg.... lambs came into €99.91- € 3 deductions including €2 transport
    bought a new prattley weigher , so the live weights are accurate, and lambs were weighed in the evening so they were full

You got a very good kill out with your vendeens, lambs seem to be ticking along nicely

your new toy must make live easier. can it weigh lambs automatically using there tag numbers?

You got a very good kill out with your vendeens, lambs seem to be ticking along nicely

your new toy must make live easier. can it weigh lambs automatically using there tag numbers?
    It would if I wasn't too mean to buy electronic tags, It tells you daily liveweight gain since last weighing as soon as you punch in tag number
    They seem to go into it easier, less noise might be the reason

i have a psion that i use that does the same but you have to manually input the tag and weight but it then show you gain and number of days since last weighing
    very handy for keeping a close eye on weight gains

• Advertisement

i have a psion that i use that does the same but you have to manually input the tag and weight but it then show you gain and number of days since last weighing
    very handy for keeping a close eye on weight gains

I think it really highlight the performance lost with lameness, ie a lamb comes in, shows up a bad DLWG and invariably he limps out of the pen.

I think it really highlight the performance lost with lameness, ie a lamb comes in, shows up a bad DLWG and invariably he limps out of the pen.

very true, it really stops the "he'll be alright til the next time their in" mindset

Was in Roscommon town other eve...lambs of all weights a good trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Any sign or word of the 'boat' getting filled up with lambs again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

Is there any pick up in store lambs ,I hear there is not many being bought this yr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

I was at the mart last week and they were a poor enough trade. There is a good bit of grass around but i think allot o cattlemen took extra grass for bales this year and are trying to shorten the winter with grazing cattle for longer.

If it got wet there will still be allot of gras to be grazed and there would be more interest in them i'd think. However the factories constantly pulling prices isnt helping either.

Advertisement