Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nct fail [corrosion]

• 20-06-2013 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

The car that never let me down, has just done so. Failed the nct due to a corroded brake cable that needs replacing and a corroded chassis leg that apparently will need welding. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much this work will cost? Its a 99 lancer that ive had nearly 10 years, is it on its way out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭defforirl

How long is a piece of string..??

Without a better description and pictures I'm afraid its almost impossible to give an estimate of cost. "Corroded" brake lines seem to be a favourite failure of nct testing centres, when you check them you cant find any evidence of corrosion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

He said he marked where the problem is so i wil have a look in the morning. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

padzer wrote: »
    The car that never let me down, has just done so. Failed the nct due to a corroded brake cable that needs replacing and a corroded chassis leg that apparently will need welding. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much this work will cost? Its a 99 lancer that ive had nearly 10 years, is it on its way out?
    If it's that far gone id be scrapping it and getting another car. That is a major safety issue.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If it's that far gone id be scrapping it and getting another car. That is a major safety issue.

Was thinking as much myself, doesnt sound that straightforward anyway. The timing of this isnt ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

not DIY, moved to motors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...a corroded chassis leg that apparently will need welding.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    not DIY,

Quote of the Day !! :pac: :D

btw OP - getting it welded mightn't be the end of the world. I had a car welded a while ago - chassis leg near suspension - and it cost me 390 - and he had to make a piece to fit, as well. On my car it worth it.

Depends on how good the rest of the car is. If it cost you the same and got you to next NCT, would 300/400 be a fair price for 12mths motoring ? - I think so.

There again, you might get quoted a lot less if it's small - go and get someone to look at it and price it - it's underneath, so it doesn't have to be pretty/colour matched etc - just done well, and painted/undersealed locally.

But if the rest of the car isn't worth it, it might be EOL (End Of Life as they say....)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Quote of the Day !! :pac: :D

btw OP - getting it welded mightn't be the end of the world. I had a car welded a while ago - chassis leg near suspension - and it cost me 390 - and he had to make a piece to fit, as well. On my car it worth it.

Depends on how good the rest of the car is. If it cost you the same and got you to next NCT, would 300/400 be a fair price for 12mths motoring ? - I think so.

There again, you might get quoted a lot less if it's small - go and get someone to look at it and price it - it's underneath, so it doesn't have to be pretty/colour matched etc - just done well, and painted/undersealed locally.

But if the rest of the car isn't worth it, it might be EOL (End Of Life as they say....)

Cheers for that.

Yeah, i was talking to my mechanic there, said the brake line would be around the 100-150 mark, as for the chassis weld, he said hes actually working on one at the moment so its doable.....as above, said he would need to see it before he could comment on how bad the damage is, both to my pocket and the car.

Car is probably worth a grand if it passed the nct. Paid 2250 for it 9 years ago so it doesnt owe me anything !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Make sure whoever fixes the chassis leg knows what they are at. It could cause a serious safety issue on the even of a crash.

Anyone with some skill can weld in a repair panel but it needs to be done correctly

Paid 2250 for it 9 years ago so it doesnt owe me anything !!

Well done. If you are happy with the car, as you no doubt are, putting a few hundred for another few years of life is a very smart investment. However, I'd ask the mechanic to take a close look at the other metal. If one leg is badly corroded there is a chance that others are not far behind.

Just warning like. I'm all for saying no to throw away culture. I'm shooting for 10 years with my car of similar vintage that had a purchase price of €250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I drive a 8 year old Mondeo and failed last week on corrosion on my brake lines. Not a clue what it will cost but bringing it to the mechanic this afternoon for a look. I guess with some of the bad winters lots of salt was put on the roads. Hope it won't brake* the bank already put a few hundred into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

We had to replace a chassis leg here once, that was a big job...... A very big job.....

OP it depends on how bad the rust is. You never know what else is going rotten or where else it will go next. Faced with a similar issue before we scrapped a car with failing chassis leg which had several months nct as we saw it quite insafe to drive. One of a minority with morals over money

I'd be inclined to get a similar model of car and make a good one from the 2 though, making sure beforehand it doesn't have the exact same problem :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

6781 wrote: »
    I drive a 8 year old Mondeo and failed last week on corrosion on my brake lines. Not a clue what it will cost but bringing it to the mechanic this afternoon for a look. I guess with some of the bad winters lots of salt was put on the roads. Hope it won't brake* the bank already put a few hundred into it.

My local independant mechanic did mine 2 years ago on my 5 series for about €150

dgt wrote: »
    We had to replace a chassis leg here once, that was a big job...... A very big job.....

OP it depends on how bad the rust is. You never know what else is going rotten or where else it will go next. Faced with a similar issue before we scrapped a car with failing chassis leg which had several months nct as we saw it quite insafe to drive. One of a minority with morals over money

I'd be inclined to get a similar model of car and make a good one from the 2 though, making sure beforehand it doesn't have the exact same problem :pac:

Jaysis, there wont be a dry eye in the house if we have to say goodbye :(

Just wondering, whats the story with me driving around in this car? Am i legally allowed to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Just wondering, whats the story with me driving around in this car? Am i legally allowed to?
    On your NCT report, if it says fail with a * then no you can't drive it, but if its just a fail and the old nct isn't out of date then legally you can drive it. If your old nct is out of date 5 penalty points and fine if caught by Gardaì and I'm almost sure your insurance will be invalid if in an accident.

That's just me, what other people do will be different. I'm not afraid to change cars if I have to :) you really need to get pics up for an opinion to be more stable

Just to give you an example of the work involved the whole front of the car inc wings, subframe, fuel lines, brake lines etc had to be removed. Not to mention using a car-o-liner to make sure it was all straight and within its tolerances. A very time consuming job but that was an extreme case, any sane person would have got another car! That was our task and a slightly different job but we got it done

Having said that if its not too far gone a suitable piece can be cut and welded to fit. Personally I wouldn't be happy but once it's signed off as safe it's roadworthy

hopefully this works....

car 004.JPG
    car 005.JPG
    car 007.JPG

The rear of the car? Looks more like the subframe is gone rather than the car's chassis..... :)

The rear of the car? Looks more like the subframe is gone rather than the car's chassis..... :)

No idea what im looking at, just took pics of the yellow marks the fella in the nct put on it. Thats the rear driver side, he said the rear passenger side is just the same.

I think it has a rear beam with trailing arms, I have a pic of one on it's side if I can find it.....

I think it has a rear beam with trailing arms, I have a pic of one on it's side if I can find it.....
    Lancers of that era have fully independent rear suspension, there is no subframe. The area where that corrosion is located is indeed part of the chassis. The corroded area is further forward than the rear suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Was thinking as much myself, doesnt sound that straightforward anyway. The timing of this isnt ideal.
    hopefully this works....

car 004.JPG
    car 005.JPG
    car 007.JPG
    Ok, not "by the book" answer, but the NCT laddies are very arbritray in what constitutes "corrrosion". I weld an awful lot of cars and vans in our workshop(usually transits :D) and often, a brush with a wire brush followed by a shot of body schutz "cures" the "corrosion" fully vis a vie the NCT. I.E, it was only surface corrosion and the tester was being "azz-coverery". If it is actually structural corrosion, we cut it out and fully weld in a repair piece - DOE testers have often said we're the only ones they ever see who actually bother to go to the rounds and have never failed a repair I have done. If that Lancer was mine, it would get a brushing and some hammerite - going by the pics. Scrap it me hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Ok, not "by the book" answer, but the NCT laddies are very arbritray in what constitutes "corrrosion". I weld an awful lot of cars and vans in our workshop(usually transits :D) and often, a brush with a wire brush followed by a shot of body schutz "cures" the "corrosion" fully vis a vie the NCT. I.E, it was only surface corrosion and the tester was being "azz-coverery". If it is actually structural corrosion, we cut it out and fully weld in a repair piece - DOE testers have often said we're the only ones they ever see who actually bother to go to the rounds and have never failed a repair I have done. If that Lancer was mine, it would get a brushing and some hammerite - going by the pics. Scrap it me hole!

To be fair those pics show nothing much really so I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions.

I understand what you're saying though. Thing is though my experience of rust repairs here is that people try and cure surface rust as you described only to find its structural or else they charge an arm and a leg for welding in an incorrect repair panel on a chassis leg.

That's not a judgement on your work but so many people don't understand the importance of the work they're doing.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    To be fair those pics show nothing much really so I wouldn't be jumping to conclusions.

I understand what you're saying though. Thing is though my experience of rust repairs here is that people try and cure surface rust as you described only to find its structural or else they charge an arm and a leg for welding in an incorrect repair panel on a chassis leg.

That's not a judgement on your work but so many people don't understand the importance of the work they're doing.
    I do, and usually, if it is genuinely structural rust, there's no long term "fix". I generally say forget it. If it is a heavy structural section, then I can weld in a repair. If it's a piece of lace and they want somthing welded in, no go dimagio. If what's going in isn't stronger than what was there before, it's just kidding everyone. On folded box sections or comlex multi-layered pressings, there is often no way of welding a meaningful repair section. You can make it pretty and make it pass, but it's not a proper repair. Surface rust though, that's another matter. Caught in time, it really is just a cosmetic issue, and a cosmetic repair will more than suffice.

Well first off my comment was before any pics were posted and I did say ''if''.

Secondly if you have ever worked on these cars and know them well you will see ''going by'' the second pic that there is a major hole in the box section/chassis leg(just to the left of the yellow mark) that no ''shot of body schutz'' will cure.

259285.JPG

Well first off my comment was before any pics were posted and I did say ''if''.

Secondly if you have ever worked on these cars and know them well you will see ''going by'' the second pic that there is a major hole in the box section/chassis leg(just to the left of the yellow mark) that no ''shot of body schutz'' will cure.
    You'll also see that I didn't really take a look at the pics and said earlier that if there was any real corrosion repairing it is damn near impossible - especially repairing it properly, unless access is good or the piece can be taken off. Given the cost of labour, it also isn't cheap..

Advertisement