Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it ok to hit your dog?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Yes to a certain degree. I mean a slap not a punch or kick. A dog needs discipline especially bigger dogs or they will walk all over you. A dog needs to be afraid of it's owner. The owner/master is in charge and the dog needs to know this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Yes to a certain degree. I mean a slap not a punch or kick. A dog needs discipline especially bigger dogs or they will walk all over you. A dog needs to be afraid of it's owner. The owner/master is in charge and the dog needs to know this

Why would a dog need to be afraid of its owner? And what on earth has the size of the dog got to do with it?
    Have you read any of the enlightened posts in this thread, read any of the links, or are you on a wind up here?
    Because you appear to be talking out of a non-oral body orifice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

utter utter utter nonsense. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

And yet many of us own large dogs who are not afraid of us and are well mannered, well adjusted dogs, so how do you suppose this happens?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mr bungle. wrote: »
    Would anyone slap their dog if they were bitten
    IMH unless the dog has pathological issues biting is almost always the fault of the human involved. Dogs bite/nip as a last resort after all other signals have been ignored. I have to say it actually amazes me that dogs who are an apex predator, capable of taking down prey much bigger than themselves(again just like us) don't attack injure or even kill people more often. They're remarkably restrained in general, even when really provoked, like those poor abused dogs people have been talking about. Learn to read the signs and avoid further raising the emotional temperature around dogs and getting bitten is gonna be very very rare as borderlinemeath's daily and long experience proves.

The other aspect with striking a dog is if someone ends up with an actually dominant dog* that will only take so much. Hit one of them and the person could well end up being attacked.

*I reckon the vast majority of so called dominant dogs are exhibiting other behaviors/personalities/emotions, fear and confusion to name two. On the other hand I had a German Shepherd 20 odd years ago and he was incredibly willful even from 12 weeks old. Brought him to a few training sessions and he showed near zero interest in the trainers or their methods(good positive training types they were too). He had little interest in any food treats and we tried the lot. He just insisted on doing his own thing and that was that. He was always very cool with the family, but barely learned the sit command, though he well knew how to do it as he was one of the brightest dogs I ever had in my life and did many "tricks" of his own making. The one thing that did work with bad behavior was exclusion and ignoring him. Now if anyone had tried more negative training with him, they'd have been in casualty counting their fingers in a bag. "Alpha roll"? I'd have brought the wreath. I hope to be proven wrong but I reckon one of these days that Cesar Milan dude is gonna have a big problem on his hands from someone trying that guff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

DBB wrote: »
    Why would a dog need to be afraid of its owner? And what on earth has the size of the dog got to do with it?
    Indeed and considering a fearful dog is much more likely to bite out of defence that's a really bad plan. With a bigger dog capable of real damage, it's beyond daft.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Size doesn't matter. Not an iota. Except maybe when it comes to a bigger dog biting you because it's had enough and the force is much stronger than a smaller dogs jaws.

There's so many threads that I can't choose from one of them where your opinion would be completely disproven by experts in the field of canine behaviour.

Any slap, by whatever force is negative punishment for the dog. My pair will knock heads, wallop into each other while running, or nip each other playfighting and if I slapped them it would be nothing 'painwise' compared to the knocks they give each other. The force of the slap doesn't matter so to justify that it's not a punch or a kick doesn't wash I'm afraid.

I never said beat the ****e out of the dog. I meant a tip on the side of the mouth, they would hardly feel it. I have a rottweiler and is loving and gentle but the dog knows not to cross me. Dogs are unpredictable.

And yet many of us own large dogs who are not afraid of us and are well mannered, well adjusted dogs, so how do you suppose this happens?

See, this is the thing that boggles my head about posts like above. The guards, customs, prison service, airport police, defence forces, SARDA, Dogs for the Disabled, IGDA, Irish Therapy Dogs, Peata, and their equivalents across the planet ALL train big dogs.. in most cases they ONLY train big dogs. Yet not one of these organisations would lay a finger on a dog to hurt it. Not one tries to create fear in dogs. It would be catastrophic.
    How do they do that? Can the poster above please tell me where all of these organisations are going so wrong with their happy, confident, friendly, unafraid Superdogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dogs are unpredictable.

Especially when the owners are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah, rarely though.

My dog is reasonably well trained luckily (I find it hard to take much credit for this to be honest) so its only when she has done something really bad like completely ignore me when she sees a cat and endanger herself by flying across the road (cul-de-sac estate but road is near the green space), or invading a child's space (but again, I generally keep my dog away from children when out or on a lead if not possible so rarely an issue).

I never said beat the ****e out of the dog. I meant a tip on the side of the mouth, they would hardly feel it. I have a rottweiler and is loving and gentle but the dog knows not to cross me. Dogs are unpredictable.

You said that dogs must be afraid of humans. What did you mean? And how do you achieve this fear?
    And if she hardly feels it... How could it be effective? Sounds to me like you're redundantly poking at your incredibly patient dog.
    Knows not to cross you? What is she? A drug dealer?
    Jesus swept.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Especially when the owners are

I'm not. I only had to tip my dog once.

You said that dogs must be afraid of humans. What did you mean? And how do you achieve this fear?
    And if she hardly feels it... How could it be effective? Sounds to me like you're redundantly poking at your incredibly patient dog.
    Jesus swept.

A dog is an animal not a child.
    Jesus wept my arse.

See, this is the thing that boggles my head about posts like above. The guards, customs, prison service, airport police, defence forces, SARDA, Dogs for the Disabled, IGDA, Irish Therapy Dogs, Peata, and their equivalents across the planet ALL train big dogs.. in most cases they ONLY train big dogs. Yet not one of these organisations would lay a finger on a dog to hurt it. Not one tries to create fear in dogs. It would be catastrophic.
    How do they do that? Can the poster above please tell me where all of these organisations are going so wrong with their happy, confident, friendly, unafraid Superdogs?

You won't get a logical reply, the old must be 'Alpha', fear = respect line is hard to scrub from people's minds.

A dog is an animal not a child.
    Jesus wept my arse.

You're getting defensive for no need. There's plenty of evidence that having a heavy hand with an animal is detrimental to training said animal. One of the most interesting responses I read to this subject lately is a fellow who works with Silver Back Gorillas. These animals are trained to accept vet care and to be handled by positive training alone. Try 'tipping' one of those fellows and you might very well find yourself torn limb from limb. That we are bigger and stronger than most dogs does not give us carte blanche to hit them- especially when it becomes more clear with education that dogs operate BETTER when trained using positive training.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

I never said beat the ****e out of the dog. I meant a tip on the side of the mouth
    they would hardly feel it. I have a rottweiler and is loving and gentle but the dog knows not to cross me. Dogs are unpredictable.

I suppose you got ''a few tips on the side of the mouth'' yourself? Do you any good?
    I wonder how the dog knows not to cross you? Do tell. Dogs are not unpredictable. Read other people's posts about warning signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Great! I'll have a look around later for some good websites which will help you explore these things in a little more depth, the more you learn, the more interesting it all gets!
    I'm on my phone now but when I get on my laptop later, it'll be easier to have a look. Though I suspect there are others here who can link to some good stuff too.
    thanks,I appreciate that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jesus swept.

Dear God, tone down the assumptions and holier-than-thou attitude, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

noodler wrote: »

Not really an assumption. If the dog doesn't feel the tip on the side of the mouth, then it's hardly going to be afraid, and since the poster deemed it necessary to make his/her dogs afraid of them, this method doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

There's a big difference in a Rottweiler and a little gay house dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Grow up.

I've NEVER hit my dog, and she is the most respectful dog you'd ever meet. And she's a German Shepherd.

Mod note: that's enough now Superspiderman. Any more flaming, trollish posts, and you'll have a holiday from this forum.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Is there such a thing as canine homophobia?:D You must need to be big and hard to hit a rottweiler, a real master. :rolleyes:.

There is no difference in training a rottweiler and any other breed, be it a small dog or whatever. They both have exactly the same methods, you need to find what positively motivates the dog and work with it (ie treats, toys etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: One of the funniest posts i've ever read on here, although I'm guessing that is unintentional. I used to have a Rottie cross, and he was a house dog, sometimes he'd even hump other boy dogs :eek: My brother also had a rottie that was a house dog, not sure what his sexual preference was though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

muddypaws wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: One of the funniest posts i've ever read on here, although I'm guessing that is unintentional. I used to have a Rottie cross, and he was a house dog, sometimes he'd even hump other boy dogs :eek: My brother also had a rottie that was a house dog, not sure what his sexual preference was though.

My Shadow is a collie-bernese cross, and he also likes boys :D

Gumbi wrote: »
    Grow up.

I've NEVER hit my dog, and she is the most respectful dog you'd ever meet. And she's a German Shepherd.[/

Grow up why. I said I tipped my dog once because it took food from the table. A dog needs to know that they dont rule the house that it's master does.

noodler wrote: »

If you've a problem with what I posted, report it.
    I can't see any assumptions? I'm merely asking that poster to clarify what he means. You may not like me asking someone to justify what are ignorant comments, but you need to differentiate between that and being holier than thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I suppose it makes some people feel 'bigger' if they know that their pet is afraid of them. I don't feel the need for any animal, human or otherwise, to fear me. It all boils down to respect really.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    Grow up.

I've NEVER hit my dog, and she is the most respectful dog you'd ever meet. And she's a German Shepherd.[/

Grow up why. I said I tipped my dog once because it took food from the table. A dog needs to know that they dont rule the house that it's master does.

Stop with the dominance rubbish. Your dog does not have a master plan to take over the world. In what way does your dog think that he might 'rule the house'?? He's thinking, I'm hungry, I'll try and get a bit of that nice food and then gets a slap for it?

Advertisement