Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get rid of bramble/blackberry bush

• 21-06-2013 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Have a bit of a problem with them the thing is they have manged to colonise hard to reach areas so i cant use a mower.The first place is in between a cypress hedge and also at the very back of my garden behind some fencing on a gradual slope.So as a result mowing and cutting is out of the question.
    Chemicals are my main option.I can use either round up or Roundup Bramble/Tree Stump and Root Killer 250 ml Liquid Concentrate Weedkiller or SBK.
    Which is the best with regards to:
    1.how many applications required
    2.Toxicity to environment and how long it persists in the soil
    3.Effectiveness and how quickly it kills the bramble
    4.How likely it is to harm other plants ie non weeds
    5.Ideal concentration if you can give it
    A compare and contrast on all options would be best

If you can reccomend any other chemicals organic or otherwise than please tell me.
    Also can anyone reccomend a good selective herbicide for broadleafed weeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭amandstu

Not saying anything against chemicals but do you think a hand held cultivator would do the job? (I like the tool myself)

I think it might be able to grab hold of and get a purchase on the roots although some would get broken in the process -especially if the ground is stony or compacted.

You might also get a few scratches to the hands if you didn't have good gloves (and shirt/jacket).

I can't really advise about which chemicals to use (and how to go about it) although I thought Roundup was supposed to become harmless quite soon after actually entering the soil (some dispute that so I can't say one way or another) .

If you do use Roundup it is best to avoid a windy (or even slightly windy)day as ,if you use a sprayer it will drift onto other nearby plants and damage them (that probably applies to any chemical application).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Roundup is getting very bad press and the claim that it becomes inactive once it hits the soil looks to be refuted. I expect it will be banned at some near time.
    How about renting a brushwood cutter? Or just use a loppers and then dig out the roots with a fork?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

see i cant get to the roots.The plants themselve have actuallty colonised in between a cypress hedge to the left(picture 09 + 10) and also on a steepish slope behind the fence that separates my garden and wild woodland(picture 07).Theyre begging to enter my garden so thats why i want to ge rid of them.The fence is so big nearly 4 foot high i have to use a ladder to spray them properly.cutting them down and digging up the roots is not an option.I know its not desirable but the chemical option is the only option.
    If not roundup do you know any effective homemade organic systemic herbicides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Brambles are very difficult to get rid of, I speak from experience! Our very ordinary suburban garden was badly affected by them and I still have one beauty entirely entangled in a bush that I have yet to tackle. I would suggest a very localised systemic weedkiller - even if you have to paint it on very carefully. Leave it to work then the next year if there are new shoots, treat them again. I found that two seasons would get rid of them, and once gone they stay gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

The root ball for brambles is dense and can cover a large area. You need to dig out or kill the entire root system otherwise it'll keep coming back. I got good info from a farm supply shop as to what sprays are best to use for nettles, brambles etc. but just can't remember the name of the product we used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Use a spade. Sometimes the old methods work the best. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Agroxone 50, mixed with Bond did the job for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Use a spade. Sometimes the old methods work the best. :D

Bramble roots would have you digging trenches all over the garden, under walls and through hedges trying to trace them. And you only have to leave a tiny bit for the damn thing to start again.

Advertisement