Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People going car to car begging for money

• 21-06-2013 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

(Not really sure if this is the right place)..My first experience with this was in the McDonalds car park in Waterford about two years ago. I was with a mate waiting to have food brought out to us that we just ordered from the drive through, a traveller got out of a car that had just came into the car park and made a b-line for us. He had a big sob story about how his mother was in hospital and was very sick, he hadn’t a penny to his name, he didn’t eat anything since the previous day, he wouldn’t ask if he wasn’t desperate and would we find it in the kindness of our hearts to give him something to buy a burger with. We gave him the loose change we had from our order, just so he’d go away.

The second time something like this happened was about a year ago in a filling station. I had just got into the car after filling up when a man came over with his hand outstretched. He was all flattery, ”Jesus it’s a lovely car, I’d say ya paid a fortune for it etc.” then he spotted my iPhone “It’s a lovely phone, I’d love one of them but I could never afford it”, after about 10 minutes of flattery the sob story came. “ I came all the way from Clare, I was supposed to meet up with someone to sell him the van but the fecker never showed up, I have a crowd of children with me that I was supposed to bring to a party and I haven’t a cent to me name, would ya give me something to put into the van to get us home, there’s not a scrap of diesel in it, me wife’s over in the van, she’s crying her eyes out, she’s absolutely devastated , there not even my kids, I was supposed to bring them to a party” and on and on he went repeating himself again and again in one big sentence. Then he went on swearing he’d give it back, he’d post it on to me, he’ll give me his number, take the reg of the van, here’s me licence. I threw €15 down by the gear stick when I got into the car and of course he spotted it so I couldn’t use the I haven’t a penny excuse, I gave it to him and he had the cheek to ask if I had anything else to give him, I just wanted him to **** off without stabbing me more than anything.

The latest was earlier tonight; again it was in McDonald’s car park in Waterford. A traveller came up to the car and knocked on the window, I opened the window and the hand came straight in, I shook his hand and then of course the sob story came “I came all the way from Gorey, I was supposed to sell the car to someone but he never showed up, me wife’s over in the car, I have a daughter in the back, she’s very sick with bronchitis, would you spare me a few pound for two gallon of petrol to get us home” this time I said to myself not again and told him I hadn’t a penny on me, my friend gave him €4 that he had in his pocket.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this sort of thing, it’s the kind of thing that if you told anyone the immediate response would be “oh if that was me” but we’ve all heard of people getting stabbed over stupid things like a phone and you just don’t know what kind of stunt they could try to pull if you refused them. I don’t mean to sound discriminant towards travellers but this is just from my experience.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why didn't you roll up the window and drive off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Clutchkick wrote: »
    (Not really sure if this is the right place)..My first experience with this was in the McDonalds car park in Waterford about two years ago. I was with a mate waiting to have food brought out to us that we just ordered from the drive through, a traveller got out of a car that had just came into the car park and made a b-line for us. He had a big sob story about how his mother was in hospital and was very sick, he hadn’t a penny to his name, he didn’t eat anything since the previous day, he wouldn’t ask if he wasn’t desperate and would we find it in the kindness of our hearts to give him something to buy a burger with. We gave him the loose change we had from our order, just so he’d go away.

The second time something like this happened was about a year ago in a filling station. I had just got into the car after filling up when a man came over with his hand outstretched. He was all flattery, ”Jesus it’s a lovely car, I’d say ya paid a fortune for it etc.” then he spotted my iPhone “It’s a lovely phone, I’d love one of them but I could never afford it”, after about 10 minutes of flattery the sob story came. “ I came all the way from Clare, I was supposed to meet up with someone to sell him the van but the fecker never showed up, I have a crowd of children with me that I was supposed to bring to a party and I haven’t a cent to me name, would ya give me something to put into the van to get us home, there’s not a scrap of diesel in it, me wife’s over in the van, she’s crying her eyes out, she’s absolutely devastated , there not even my kids, I was supposed to bring them to a party” and on and on he went repeating himself again and again in one big sentence. Then he went on swearing he’d give it back, he’d post it on to me, he’ll give me his number, take the reg of the van, here’s me licence. I threw €15 down by the gear stick when I got into the car and of course he spotted it so I couldn’t use the I haven’t a penny excuse, I gave it to him and he had the cheek to ask if I had anything else to give him, I just wanted him to **** off without stabbing me more than anything.

The latest was earlier tonight; again it was in McDonald’s car park in Waterford. A traveller came up to the car and knocked on the window, I opened the window and the hand came straight in, I shook his hand and then of course the sob story came “I came all the way from Gorey, I was supposed to sell the car to someone but he never showed up, me wife’s over in the car, I have a daughter in the back, she’s very sick with bronchitis, would you spare me a few pound for two gallon of petrol to get us home” this time I said to myself not again and told him I hadn’t a penny on me, my friend gave him €4 that he had in his pocket.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this sort of thing, it’s the kind of thing that if you told anyone the immediate response would be “oh if that was me” but we’ve all heard of people getting stabbed over stupid things like a phone and you just don’t know what kind of stunt they could try to pull if you refused them. I don’t mean to sound discriminant towards travellers but this is just from my experience.

Happens a lot at the watling st. Traffic lights in Dublin. A man or two will approach the cars and try to get a few euro of you.
    I've generally found that having the windows rolled up and the doors locked reduces any fear I'd have of anything happening.
    Ignoring them is the best thing to do.
    You giving them money isn't going to stop then trying it on others.
    Likewise, if they don't get any money of anyone they'll eventually stop begging.
    I rather give to charities that help homeless people than to the homeless person begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

The first time it wasn't me driving (he came over to the driver side), the second time your man had the cheek to open the door and the third fella leaned in on the door and had his head stuck in the car (as casual as you like).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

I once came out of topaz sat into car and was checking phone, another moment I notice a a woman sits into my car and says: "okay I am ready".

Questions: Who? Why? Where?

Then she apologized and said she confused cars with taxi car beside me. Since then I got into habit of always before moving off - press lock doors from inside. Makes feel safer so I know that no body will sit into my car and do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

You lucky bastard, the only girl that get into my car and (kind of)said I am ready was my neighbour's cat( not even sure if it was girl tbh).
    Why would you lock the doors, keep them open and let them in:D
    But only when they are ready...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Dublinpato

I was walking down the quay's one night just about to turn on O'Connell st and i could spot this chap from a mile away not sure if he was homeless or just looking for his next fix but anyway's i could see him picking people out until i was walking past he come's up and started this sob story actually now that i think of it he was homeless because he said "here bud can i tell you something i'am basically homeless" blah blah blah didn't hear the rest but he didn't look like he was sleeping rough must of been a fresh spawn or something so i said to him before he got into his story "That's not my problem" he just gave me a look like he was shocked and say's "I didn't say it was you're problem did i" then storms off, but that's when i'am shocked because i didn't think he would give up that easily anyway's the key to stop people from wasting you're time looking to get in you're pockets is to stop them before they can finish their story that they have spent all their energy memorizing that they won't know how to react if you shut them off.

wonski wrote: »
    You lucky bastard, the only girl that get into my car and (kind of)said I am ready was my neighbour's cat( not even sure if it was girl tbh).
    Why would you lock the doors, keep them open and let them in:D
    But only when they are ready...

I expected that kind of comment so my reply is:

She was out of my age range. I am 20 + I was going to my friend, doubt she would understand if I came up with woman whos twice as old as me :pac: that would be an awkward situation

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

arleitiss wrote: »
    I expected that kind of comment so my reply is:

She was out of my age range. I am 20 + I was going to my friend, doubt she would understand if I came up with woman whos twice as old as me :pac: that would be an awkward situation

There's nothing wrong with a good milf haha

True, but not in my situation :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I threw €15 down by the gear stick when I got into the car and of course he spotted it so I couldn’t use the I haven’t a penny excuse, I gave it to him and he had the cheek to ask if I had anything else to give him, I just wanted him to **** off without stabbing me more than anything.
    this time I said to myself not again and told him I hadn’t a penny on me, my friend gave him €4 that he had in his pocket.
    it’s the kind of thing that if you told anyone the immediate response would be “oh if that was me” but we’ve all heard of people getting stabbed over stupid things like a phone and you just don’t know what kind of stunt they could try to pull if you refused them. I don’t mean to sound discriminant towards travellers but this is just from my experience.
    Short answer is that you're feeling needlessly intimidated. Just smile and keep moving and they'll ask someone else. Beggars are well used to a 99% failure rate, you need to stop being the other 1%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

There's no suggestion that the woman in question was a milf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Anan1 wrote: »
    Short answer is that you're feeling needlessly intimidated. Just smile and keep moving and they'll ask someone else. Beggars are well used to a 99% failure rate, you need to stop being the other 1%.

This sums it up. Don't engage and they'll move on to the next head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

MugMugs wrote: »
    This sums it up. Don't engage and they'll move on to the next head.

Exactly.

Used to be a few (Obviously a commerical enterprise of beggars) at the lights in Sandyford asking for money. Friend had an Impreza with blacked out rear windows. Begger started giving the sob story so my friend gave your man the thumbs up and a smile, and began to roll down the rear windows. Obviously thinking it was pay day the beggar went towards the back of car.

Don't think I've ever seen an Alsatian make more of an attempt to get through a 4" gap in a window. Needless to say, the car was forever more given a wide berth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Since then I got into habit of always before moving off - press lock doors from inside. Makes feel safer so I know that no body will sit into my car and do anything.
    +1. many aftermarket alarms if fitted can be set to do this automatically. Also, lock your car/arm your alarm when getting petrol. While you're in paying for go juice your car and it's contents are vulnerable. My local station guys have told me it's regular enough that phones and satnavs to go walkabout in this manner at some stations. Don't be a target basically. I achieve this by looking rougher and poorer than the beggars.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

locking the doors is a good idea and we should all do it as a matter of course. We also should remember to take our iphones out of their cradles when in the Garden Centre....(mostly aimed at me, quite a shock when I sat back in and saw it grinning at me in full view of the entire car park)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Have seen it once or twice near Connolly now, not with cars, but stopping people, standing right in their way and starting into a conversation with the victim. it really throws the person and its hard for them to escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , just by reading your post you are well over 15 euro down giving money to chancers.

You have to learn something I learnt when working in central London

Just blank these people utterly. By that I mean if they approach you , don't make eye contact ignore them . The same goes for Chuggers and mad religious types .

I would stop going to that branch of McD's , it's obviously a fav haunt of chancers , most of whom almost certainly have more disposable income than you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Around dublin a alot it happens alright.

Between people trying to clean your windscreen with a sponge and people handing you paper with writing saying please give me €2 for this peice of paper.

Rather annoying but windows closed and doors locked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

That guy with the car sob story has been at it with years he was removed from the Tesco car park last year.seem he is back for the summer again.just say you were sure you saw him collecting his money at the post office the other day!
    Or total blank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not particularly Motors related.
    >>> AH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

are you at home for holidays for the gathering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I don't like to look through people as if they don't exist, so I just say "sorry, can't help you".

Don't know if it's any better or worse than ignoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I once came out of topaz sat into car and was checking phone, another moment I notice a a woman sits into my car and says: "okay I am ready".

Questions: Who? Why? Where?

Then she apologized and said she confused cars with taxi car beside me. Since then I got into habit of always before moving off - press lock doors from inside. Makes feel safer so I know that no body will sit into my car and do anything.

I did that once - my OH was coming to collect me one rainy evening and had parked up waiting for me. I came down the road, saw the car and jumped in and started chatting. Never even looked at my OH. When I did (about 10 seconds later) I noticed I was in the wrong car. I was so embarrassed, but apologized and burst out laughing as did the driver. I got out and there was my OH in the car behind also having a laugh. Two exact same cars.

Nobody felt threatened, it was an honest mistake and taken in good humor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,342 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dublinpato wrote: »
    I was walking down the quay's one night just about to turn on O'Connell st and i could spot this chap from a mile away not sure if he was homeless or just looking for his next fix but anyway's i could see him picking people out until i was walking past he come's up and started this sob story actually now that i think of it he was homeless because he said "here bud can i tell you something i'am basically homeless" blah blah blah didn't hear the rest but he didn't look like he was sleeping rough must of been a fresh spawn or something so i said to him before he got into his story "That's not my problem" he just gave me a look like he was shocked and say's "I didn't say it was you're problem did i" then storms off, but that's when i'am shocked because i didn't think he would give up that easily anyway's the key to stop people from wasting you're time looking to get in you're pockets is to stop them before they can finish their story that they have spent all their energy memorizing that they won't know how to react if you shut them off.

Joycean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

I had one of these geezers chance that " need money for petrol to get home " crap on me at a petrol station.

Told him I had no cash - only debit card - but I'd pay for some petrol for his van ( full of kids and the wife ) - but I want to see the petrol gauge first.

Told me to F*** off and stormed away.

Just another chancer. Never trust anyone .... ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I remember a few years ago, a nightclub were handing out flyers that looked like €10 notes with FUN MONEY clearly written on it. I only had it in my hand a couple of minutes when I was approached by a sob story merchant and without really thinking I just gave him the flyer and he seemed to go off happy.

I thought I seen him glaring at me from the back of a squad car about 2 hours later but I'll put it down to my mind playing tricks on me and probably the 2 second twinge of guilt I felt when I realised what I gave him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There used to be a one legged Romanian girl at Newlands Cross scabbing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

There used to be a one legged Romanian girl at Newlands Cross scabbing

She seemed to be at every large junction in West Dublin at one point ..... I saw her at Palmerstown , and at the Red Cow as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Print off a couple of copies of 20 Euro notes. Then hand these out to these sob story merchants.

Unless that's illegal. I don't think it is. If it is, print off a couple of copies of UK£20 notes.

If that's illegal, ah... come up with your own ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Happens a LOT in London. Problem used to be really bad with gipsies attempting to wash your windows at traffic lights and begging. Police have done a lot to address the problem though.

I was at traffic lights at Albany Road in Walworth one day. Woman with about four kids literally hanging off her were at my car window begging. I ignored her. Lights changed. I drove off. She decided to moon at me. Blue veins and stretch marks everywhere!

Advertisement