Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap endless pool

Options
  • 21-06-2013 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

I was looking online to buy a splash pool for the kids, when I came across this vid... the guy anchors himself and goes for a swim. Seems like a too-good-to-be-true idea! An endless pool in your backyard for €100, or what am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

A little bit of research this morning- Finis and TYR make stationary hip or ankle belts, or people make their own. The biggest differences in stationary swimming are a) absence of a bow wave for breathing, and b) fundamentally different fluid dynamics, meaning you won't generate as much lift as you would with forward momentum. In practice this seems to mean a greater workout as you work to keep the legs higher.

Anyway, pool bought, looking forward to a summer of daily swims, the kids will have to make do with splashing in a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Where did you buy the pool OP? Interested in getting one myself.

percy212 wrote: »
    Where did you buy the pool OP? Interested in getting one myself.

12ftx30" pool

It's only 30" deep, hopefully this will be enough for clearance (if not, the single-lane covered endless pool goes back on the wish-list;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

For these pools make sure you buy a solar cover as well to keep the temperature some bit above freezing, for a pool that size should only cost €20 or so but keeps the water clean of debris and its safer too if there is kids around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Looks good OP.

Solar cover? I like the sound of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I am going home to measure my garage now... seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

The solar cover is just a sheet if heavy duty bubble wrap that you lay on the water surface when the pool is not in use. It stops heat and water loss from evaporation, and stops kids and leaves and stuff falling into the pool too. Pretty much essential if you are going to have one of these set up, even if only during the summer. Smyths toys sell the Intec covers very cheap ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

That's so cool.. I want one! I wonder if the odd body position/breathing is because of the belt+rope positioning, or just the swimmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Looks good. When we train on Thursday mornings the high performance squad use these a bit. Look a bit strange and they seem to be working pretty hard against them. The main difference between the ones they use and the one in the vid is that there's seem to be anchored from higher. Looks like it would stop the strap getting caught in your feet when kicking, one in the video looks pretty low and could end up hitting your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i have to get one of these....................................and move out of my apartment

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah, I was going to comment on his technique, wonder if it's poor technique or difficult to rotate with the yokey attached.

I've a big back garden...hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Our local pool is closing for three months in August. I was looking for an alternative... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

What about a Vasa Ergometer

http://www.xtri.com/swim-tech/detail/284-itemId.511710872.html

Expensive but maybe affordable in comparison to the money paid for bikes. Useful in the winter I'd say and a great time saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Ideally this sort of setup could be matched with a turbo and treadmill so you'd never need to leave the house at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I was looking online to buy a splash pool for the kids, when I came across this vid... the guy anchors himself and goes for a swim. Seems like a too-good-to-be-true idea! An endless pool in your backyard for €100, or what am I missing?

Stick a bar out from a wall or suspend the anchor point and you wouldn't have any kick interference with the wire.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Before you invest bring a tether to your local pool, tie yourself to the ladder and see what it's like to swim that way. You'll see if its a close enough approximation to a 'normal' swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Oryx wrote: »
    Before you invest bring a tether to your local pool, tie yourself to the ladder and see what it's like to swim that way. You'll see if its a close enough approximation to a 'normal' swim.

This is my thinking too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

That'd go down well at the pool......excuse me Ms Teenage lifeguard, could you please tie this old bald man up please, I want to eh, check out how I swim when I'm tied up :)

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    That'd go down well at the pool......excuse me Ms Teenage lifeguard, could you please tie this old bald man up please, I want to eh, check out how I swim when I'm tied up :)

I did think that but lifeguards need a giggle too. We might read about it in the cries of retail thread. "You'll never guess what this bat-**** crazy dude tried in the pool today..."

I'll be a guinea pig for this, I have the pool ordered for the kids anyway, a tether has been ordered for science duty, I spent the day today excavating a flat 12' circle in my back yard. Feedback should be available next week, and as far as 18-year-old lifeguard babes know, I shave my head for streamline reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sounds like a cool plan with obvious benefits to endurance and just getting work done. My 2 main concerns would be 1) affect on technique over thousands of strokes in this environment and more significantly 2) the chord pulling on the lower back over thousands of reps

Very interested to hear some feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

My brother has solar tubes on his roof to provide hot water and a tap out back.

He also harvests rain water via a 3500litre tank under the patio.

Anyway I was over in his place the other day and he filled the paddling pool with water from it and it was like a hot tub, it was brilliant.

Point of story is he gets free hot water even when water is metered and could keep onevifvthese out his back with water kept at a good temp, so I must get him to get one if these pools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

I often use these tethers in the pool (the resistance ones). I find the best way to use them is with a centre snorkel, for me it keeps me more balanced in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Sounds like a cool plan with obvious benefits to endurance and just getting work done. My 2 main concerns would be 1) affect on technique over thousands of strokes in this environment and more significantly 2) the chord pulling on the lower back over thousands of reps

Very interested to hear some feedback

1 you still get a feeling for the water and pool swimming is not wetsuit swimming either if it does increase swim frequency its good

2 i used tether ( to be honest bike tubes) quite a lot when i cycled through the centre and west of australia and 2 x 1 week of 10 k a day in those 4 month I lost hardly nothing of my swim I used a neopren belt motor cyclists use to protect the kidneys and it worked very well.
    it cant replace normal swimming but if thats the only way to get swim 2 3 or 4 a week in great.
    in my opinion much better than a vasa bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Did a bit of surfing on this. In short if bungees are good enough for the elites... Still looking forward to Kurt's report

Pool (12' x 30") is up, its been taking ages to fill:) I excavated into a slope, and there is now only about 5cm difference between the high and low points. The pool itself goes up very quickly, and seems sturdy enough. I used interlocking foam panels as a base. I got in just to test it now - its not quite full (about 10cm to go), so my fingers were scraping the base if I didn't bend enough at the elbow. Tried a rudimentary tether for a couple of minutes (running belt, dog leash, and bungy cord), and stayed in the same place no bother. My initial thoughts are that breathing is a lot harder, and that you work harder to stay level. Feet drop was quite evident. I'll know more over the next couple of days, but my first thoughts are that A) this will work, and B) it will give a very hard workout for the time spent.

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bNb6ftbnA5s/Ucw78J1drzI/AAAAAAAAA6E/1QF_lXtjLXM/s640/SAM_0528.JPG" height="427" width="640"[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have to say Paul loving these build updates. Interested to see how it goes when it is fully setup.

• Advertisement

Nice view.

Advertisement