Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap endless pool

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 SlowMe

There's and interesting post from earlier this year on Donal Buckleys blog talking about training with a bucket. Sounds like it would have a similar impact on body position. Here's the relevant extract:

"Because of the drag, your body is dragged slightly downwards. To overcome this, you must concentrate on pushing your chest down into the water to get more streamlined and horizontal. With all the extra drag, you think more about your catch and anchoring your hands in the water to pull yourself forward"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ok, I don't intend logging every single swim I do in this, but I wanted to update on what the deeper pool and Finis tether is like. Just did 30 mins straight, and I have to say this is exactly what I wanted- a pool in the backyard I can hop into any time I like, at a fraction of the cost. The extra depth (its 36" deep) is needed, I can swim without hitting the bottom. You don't feel the Finis tether at all around your waist, and it's elasticated so you can up the effort to a sprint, using markings on the bottom of the pool as a guide. At all out effort I can just touch the wall, and using the elastic stretch is a useful guide to intensity. Decent body position is attainable with some effort and focus, and anyone with a poor leg kick (that's me) will need to kick a lot harder to hold the position. You can experiment with hand entry and catch, and feel the results instantly, as your position improves.

The success or failure of this cheepo experiment will be determined months from now, but for the moment I'm happy with it. It's true of course that your body position will be different than if moving through a fluid, but pool swimming (and wall kicks) is also very different to the OW. One thing I'd say to anyone considering this indoors- there is a fair amount of splashing and waves, so you'd need to consider spillage. But anyone thinking of getting a pool and tether, I'd say go for it. When I started the thread, I expected to have to jokingly admit defeat, saying ah well at least it will be used by the kids: but now I've experienced it I'd say it's far exceeded my expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Kurt Godel wrote: »

You don't feel the Finis tether at all around your waist,

What tether did you go for?

okane1 wrote: »
    What tether did you go for?

Finis heavy cord, and to be honest it is a big improvement on my home-made job. I can't travel far in my pool obviously, but this tether is tough enough so that moving forward in increments of 10cm requires exponential effort. I was sprinting to reach my wall. Good bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/paddling-pools-ireland-988309-Jul2013/

Just as well you ordered yours when you did Kurt... fine profit to be made selling off the old one now I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Finis heavy cord, and to be honest it is a big improvement on my home-made job. I can't travel far in my pool obviously, but this tether is tough enough so that moving forward in increments of 10cm requires exponential effort. I was sprinting to reach my wall. Good bit of kit.

Any pics of your setup?
    mloc123 wrote: »
    http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/paddling-pools-ireland-988309-Jul2013/

Just as well you ordered yours when you did Kurt... fine profit to be made selling off the old one now I'd say.

A good farmer might be able to sort you out either...
    1002284_471753999584456_348223_n.jpg

mloc123 wrote: »
    fine profit to be made selling off the old one now I'd say.

I was just thinking that myself. I gave it away to the brother-in-law for his kids a few days ago. For free. And he's one of the tightest Cavan men I know ;)

(I'll make it back in kharma- that, or lording my generosity over him for years to come!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I was just thinking that myself. I gave it away to the brother-in-law for his kids a few days ago. For free. And he's one of the tightest Cavan men I know ;)

(I'll make it back in kharma- that, or lording my generosity over him for years to come!)

What part of Cavan?

tunney wrote: »
    What part of Cavan?

Ballyjamesdub

One of his relations passed on, and he was told he had to put a Death notice in the Anglo Celt. He phoned them up, and went ballastic when told there was a charge for this. After a half hour of argument and bartering, the exasperated newspaper man gave him a half price entry, told him he could put in eight words and the brother-in-law would only be charged for four.

Grand so, says the BIL, put in "Martha Reilly has died, Ford Fiesta for sale."

Just had BIL on the phone now with a question about filters, his first words "Do you know the hassle you've caused me with this pool?":rolleyes:

I swear he'll fill the pool just before water charges come in and sell it by the gallon to his neighbours...

• Advertisement
Advertisement