Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor grass and decking

Options
  • 21-06-2013 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

Hi all - just looking for some advice re my lawn and also decking. I set my lawn 3 years ago and it started off growing pretty well. However the last 1 - 1.5 years it's slowly turned brown and patchy so I'm wondering why this is and what to do about it. Should I re-seed it or would some feed / fertiliser bring it back to life? If so can anyone recommend some decent products?

Also my decking has been down for 3 years and is now slightly black in spots and also has patches of moss so I think it's time to re-paint it. I don't have a power hose though so I'm wondering would a wire brush be good enough to remove the moss and other crap on it? Also I don't know what to put on it i.e. paint, Ronseal, does it need an undercoat first, etc. so if anyone can recommend the proper stuff and how to go about it I'd appreciate it. I've attached a couple of pics also.

TIA
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Your lawn needs feeding. your decking is odd - its normally laid above grass level, with gaps between the planks for drainage

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

homer911 wrote: »
    Your lawn needs feeding. your decking is odd - its normally laid above grass level, with gaps between the planks for drainage

Hi Homer you're right the decking is lower just on that section which was due to a slope in the lawn. The rest of it is above the lawn and has slight gaps between the boards.

Is this the right time of the year to feed a lawn, also does it matter if it rains - do I need a couple of dry days? All tips you have are appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Now would be a good time. It generally says to apply the feed and if it doesnt rain within a day or two to water it in with a hose. Depends on the product though. Follow the manufacturers instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,352 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is no ventilation under the decking - it is probably resting directly on the ground, and is consequently rotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

looksee wrote: »
    There is no ventilation under the decking - it is probably resting directly on the ground, and is consequently rotting.

That part is almost directly on the ground but not quite. I checked it and it doesn't seem to be rotting so probably just needs a scrub and paint.

I spoke to a guy in a hardware shop in town and he recommended decking sealer that also has a colour - there's a particular brand he had but can't remember it now. He reckons if the decking is sanded down and this stuff is applied that it should be good for about 3 years...does that sound right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

You can get a decking oil with a colour in it. Ronseal do it and have a few colours as well as clear.

Need to clean your decking down well before putting it on though. Dont know about sanding it. You can get a decking cleaner and give it a good cleaning and judge from there what to do.

Difficult to gauge a time frame with something that is out in the elements. If we keep getting the harsh frosts and wet weather he is possibly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Hi all - just looking for some advice re my lawn and also decking. I set my lawn 3 years ago and it started off growing pretty well. However the last 1 - 1.5 years it's slowly turned brown and patchy so I'm wondering why this is and what to do about it. Should I re-seed it or would some feed / fertiliser bring it back to life? If so can anyone recommend some decent products?

Also my decking has been down for 3 years and is now slightly black in spots and also has patches of moss so I think it's time to re-paint it. I don't have a power hose though so I'm wondering would a wire brush be good enough to remove the moss and other crap on it? Also I don't know what to put on it i.e. paint, Ronseal, does it need an undercoat first, etc. so if anyone can recommend the proper stuff and how to go about it I'd appreciate it. I've attached a couple of pics also.

TIA

There looks to be a build up of thatch in the garden.

For now you could feed it with fertiliser but i would look at scarifying in September and reseeding any bare patches. The lawn will come on much stronger next year.

A wire brush would do the trick for the decking but it would be back breaking work. I would advise trying to borrow a power hose and clean it up with one of those.

I would also recommend that you use oil as it lasts much longer and also protects the wood. It is more expensive but you pay for quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,907 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yes borrow a power house. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

literally.

Advertisement