Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sharing with a neighbour

• 21-06-2013 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hi I need some advice. I live in a duplex and my neighbour over the wall had a tenant until recently. They signed up to broadband for a year with eircom but the tenant is gone now. I on the other hand have been using 02 hot shot but I'm no longer bound by any contracts neither am I happy. Provided I have good signal is it possible for me to share the access with my neighbour and rather than paying 02 give the money to her. I only use it for streaming browsing email's etc no downloads of any kind. Can anyone advise? Please

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Typically the contract is for the household the service belongs to only.

I would say if you go ahead with it write down all the rules/agreements up front so everyone is clear on what is happening. You might not download too much but what if the new tenant does and hence leaves you with scraps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Anyone sharing should get a proper QoS router (quality of service), that way you can guarantee that if the line is contended (ie both of you are downloading like mad) then it will gracefully allocate 50% to each user. That way the internet still works for both people.

Pretty much most households should really get one of these, since most internet connections are used by multiple people these days.

Streaming is basically the same as downloading by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

As far as usage is concerned its not a problem. I think it's unlimited plan she has. I barely use 10 giga a month myself. It's more of is it possible to do? Will it work question. Thanks for your response

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

iPearly wrote: »
    As far as usage is concerned its not a problem. I think it's unlimited plan she has. I barely use 10 giga a month myself. It's more of is it possible to do? Will it work question. Thanks for your response

Usage is not what they are talking about.

Say its a 5Mb connection, and they start torrenting like mad, then even opening gmail could be sluggish. QoS shares that 5Mb 50/50 when both of you are active.

ED E wrote: »
    Usage is not what they are talking about.

Say its a 5Mb connection, and they start torrenting like mad, then even opening gmail could be sluggish. QoS shares that 5Mb 50/50 when both of you are active.
    Get you now. How much would those set me back ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I'm using a draytek enterprise router that does the job well, has lots of extra features like vpn termination etc that you probably don't care about too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draytek-Vigor2830-ADSL2-Firewall-Router/dp/B005FXFNWW/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_0 = £150

That's probably overkill tho... Here is a cheaper option many people recommend (linksys e2000): http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B003B20F54

You do need to know some basic networking stuff to set this up tho, best to get a techy mate in to help.

srsly78 wrote: »
    I'm using a draytek enterprise router that does the job well, has lots of extra features like vpn termination etc that you probably don't care about too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draytek-Vigor2830-ADSL2-Firewall-Router/dp/B005FXFNWW/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_0 = £150

That's probably overkill tho... Here is a cheaper option many people recommend (linksys e2000): http://www.amazon.com/electronics/dp/B003B20F54

You do need to know some basic networking stuff to set this up tho, best to get a techy mate in to help.

You've been a great help. Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

In my opinion you shouldn't bother with the extra expens of a router. You've been using a crappy hot spot for a year. Once you can get signal from the router then give it a go. If you find it's worse than the hot spot then agree to split the cost of a router.

Advertisement