Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat, the local attraction.

• 21-06-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

We live in an apartment block in a ground floor apartment so of course I let my cat out for exercise and whatnot, the only thing is every child in the neighbourhood is obsessed with him and keeps running up to our apartment and trying to chase/rub him. Now he is very friendly so most of the time he doesn't mind, but of course there are little gits out to annoy him too. Am I the only cat owner with this issue? Does anyone else have people actually coming to their apartment/house in search of their cat to pet? I feel like I should charge a fee, it's a run of the mill tabby and white cat, not some rare breed or a tiger at Dublin Zoo :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Yes i have the same issue and im delighted. I bring Beanie out the front for a wander and the kids love him. I'm glad as there are too many cat haters out there, so i love seeing the kids wanting to interact with him, especially the boys who are the biggest messers. Exposing them to cats at an early age is brilliant and hopefully means they'll grow up to love cats of their own. There could be worse problems in fairness OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Overall it doesn't bother me, he is very friendly and if he doesn't want to be bothered, he goes off, but when it is the same few brats trying to chase him or in one girls case, throw a ball at him I get very frustrated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

I think you should charge a fee, a euro a head should do it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

The kid next door to me and the one next door to her absolutely love my dog. They have asked me to take him out to pet him, as he is "the best curly" (collie), on a few occasions. I don't understand it, as the kid two doors down has an absolutely majestic and impeccably-mannered bullmastiff named Olympus, and I have reiterated on many occasions that I will gladly swap :rolleyes:

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    The kid next door to me and the one next door to her absolutely love my dog. They have asked me to take him out to pet him, as he is "the best curly" (collie), on a few occasions. I don't understand it, as the kid two doors down has an absolutely majestic and impeccably-mannered bullmastiff named Olympus, and I have reiterated on many occasions that I will gladly swap :rolleyes:

Okay, I officially love that name, that is the best ever name for as Mastiff!!!!

I don't mind really, as Anniehoo said, cats have enough people hating them, but at 8am when you are hearing kids screaming for my cat to be left out, calling him and staring into the apartment it is VERY annoying. I am awake with an hour by then, but it is annoying for other neighbours as some of them work nights, I don't want to cause issues with them, it's not fair and I want to have at least a half decent rapport with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Im very friendly with my neighbours cat and the other day she came flying up to me and I gave her a little kiss and a petting and then glanced up to see the neighbour smiling out his window. I think he thinks its nice that people love his cat. I hope so anyway because she has firmly decided we are her friends and comes and goes as she pleases in our place for petting, sleeps and general wanderings!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I don't mind really, as Anniehoo said, cats have enough people hating them, but at 8am when you are hearing kids screaming for my cat to be left out, calling him and staring into the apartment it is VERY annoying.

I used to live on the street parallel to the main shopping street in Galway and my cat used to sprawl out in the ground floor window which was right at the sidewalk. When people stopped she would get on her hind paws and rub the glass at them. I was home from work on break one day when suddenly a big group of kids stopped outside my house and I hear "Guys! This is where the cat lives!" followed by a chant of "Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat!". Cinnamon raced down the stairs and straight onto the window to greet her adoring public :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

We live in an apartment block in a ground floor apartment so of course I let my cat out for exercise and whatnot, the only thing is every child in the neighbourhood is obsessed with him and keeps running up to our apartment and trying to chase/rub him. Now he is very friendly so most of the time he doesn't mind, but of course there are little gits out to annoy him too. Am I the only cat owner with this issue? Does anyone else have people actually coming to their apartment/house in search of their cat to pet? I feel like I should charge a fee, it's a run of the mill tabby and white cat, not some rare breed or a tiger at Dublin Zoo :confused:

I don't want to be negative by default; It's good that your kitty is actually a friendly one - regardless of what other posters will say ("my cat is the best eva", "my cat loves people so much" and the likes) most cats, even the most pampered and cuddled housecats, tend to be very distrusting and defensive - it's just the way they're wired, and it seems to kick in mostly when they're venturing outdoors - where they mostly wish to be left to their business.

I don't even want to go into the merits of the basic "letting the cat out or not"; However, in your specific case you might want to study a new approach to kitty's outside adventures in order to protect you and the animal from trouble.

Fact is, cats are cats. They don't always want, nor react well, to play, be cuddled or chased. It is essentially certain that, at some point or the other, your cat will find some child's will to play and handle him very annoying and scratch or bite in retaliation. When that will happen, you'll no doubt find yourself - and the cat - on the receiving end of some trouble from the parents.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    I don't want to be negative by default; It's good that your kitty is actually a friendly one - regardless of what other posters will say ("my cat is the best eva", "my cat loves people so much" and the likes) most cats, even the most pampered and cuddled housecats, tend to be very distrusting and defensive - it's just the way they're wired, and it seems to kick in mostly when they're venturing outdoors - where they mostly wish to be left to their business.

I don't even want to go into the merits of the basic "letting the cat out or not"; However, in your specific case you might want to study a new approach to kitty's outside adventures in order to protect you and the animal from trouble.

Fact is, cats are cats. They don't always want, nor react well, to play, be cuddled or chased. It is essentially certain that, at some point or the other, your cat will find some child's will to play and handle him very annoying and scratch or bite in retaliation. When that will happen, you'll no doubt find yourself - and the cat - on the receiving end of some trouble from the parents.

That is my other issue. I see people going over to him and I know myself his "píss off" stance/posture, and I say it to people and they don't listen and sure enough, he gets annoyed. He is a friendly cat, but he is also a territorial one (as most males, even the neutered can be) and of course a 3-4 year old is rough and most don't know the animal etiquette of showing the hand for them to sniff before hand.

We used keep him in 24/7, but he was miserable. Scratching furniture and constantly wired, you couldn't trust him. Letting him out changes all that, he gets the stimulation he wants/needs and has totally changed him. I just wish they would just leave him alone. Why couldn't I just have one of those male cats that people find ugly and leave alone :(

I chat to the kids on my road about how Beanie likes to be petted i.e no sudden movements, stroke gently down his head and not upwards. Don't chase him or lift him and i get them to twiddle a long piece of grass to "hunt". Bar one little fella they all seem to get the message. There's one messer who insists on bounding over to him all noisy and intrusive, there's no talking to him.

They all go "ahhh there's Beanie he's orange like a baked bean" (as ive taught them to associate him with)...it's really very cute and they wave up to him when he sits in the bay window. I love it and he doesnt seem to mind it. I see it as positive learning for all involved tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

urgh, minding the kitten we have for the last few weeks.

herself and her lil friends come after school..."oh where's the kitten..." and poor lil Tig would be asleep beside me or asleep somewhere and then there's hands straight in, pick him up and he's dumped back down 3 mins later. Annoys me to no end.

Poor tig. I know he needs to get used to people contact but that sort of stuff will make him not want to come near people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Where I lived in London, my girl was the local superstar! But it got a bit out of hand one day. I was working from home, and the cat was in her usual place up the cherry tree. I kept hearing stones clunking against the bin which was outside the front door. I looked out to find some little darlings throwing stones! :mad:. When I asked them what they were doing and why, they explained they wanted the cat to come down to them. I asked them if I threw stones at them would they come to me? They told me 'No'. So why do you expect the cat to come to you then? Silence. Followed by apologies.

The next weird occasion. A couple used to pass by and talk to my cats. They were harmless, and I often used to chat to them if I was around. One day, there was a knock at the door. The couple were on my step asking me to name my price for either or both of my cats!!! :eek:

Cat was chased today by the same little brat I have told time and time again to not chase him, nicely at first, trying to explain it scares him, since he is only about 6 or 7 then as time went on I got more and more stern about how it is not nice and to stop. Well cat fled the child, jumped into a bush and now needs to go to the vet first thing tomorrow as something wrong with his eye :mad:

He is an animal and needs to be allowed out, but I am fit to tell the child's parents that he is not welcome outside my home, he is not a resident here and comes outside my home to irritate my pet. I am seriously contemplating sending the bill, I don't expect them to pay, but maybe the seriousness of the situation may hit them and they will actually tell their son off for his behaviour rather than ignore it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cat was chased today by the same little brat I have told time and time again to not chase him, nicely at first, trying to explain it scares him, since he is only about 6 or 7 then as time went on I got more and more stern about how it is not nice and to stop. Well cat fled the child, jumped into a bush and now needs to go to the vet first thing tomorrow as something wrong with his eye :mad:

He is an animal and needs to be allowed out, but I am fit to tell the child's parents that he is not welcome outside my home, he is not a resident here and comes outside my home to irritate my pet. I am seriously contemplating sending the bill, I don't expect them to pay, but maybe the seriousness of the situation may hit them and they will actually tell their son off for his behaviour rather than ignore it.

You should definitely send the bill, if your cat hurt the child you can be certain they would be looking for you to pay the doctors bill! Even if they don't pay they may realise they need to have a chat with the kid on how to respect animals/their owners. Hope puss is okay!!

You should definitely send the bill

I disagree.Don't do this.You will make things a MILLION times worse for yourself and your cat.

You're coming at it from the cat owners point of view,which is fair enough....but..the cat owner never wins. End of.

By law a cat has no legal ownership and therefore you have no legal rights to your cat or the consequences of what happens when they're out on their own. Seriously.A dog owner technically needs a dog licence to prove ownership,some have it...most don't.We don't have this with cats in Ireland. It's the reason why you need to report a dog knocked down to the Gardaí, but not a cat.

Dog's are "barely" afforded this legality..so cats are non existant on any legal radar tbh.

In my opinion,if you are letting your cat outside (accompanied) i'd be fairly grateful of the interaction with your cat so far. It will take ONE scratch to send a parent into meltdown....and YOU will be at fault, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭ladyjuicy08

I've the Same prob live in ground fl appart 2 indoor cat kids always coming up to window setting off my alarm cos they are banging on window at the cats even had ppl take fotos which is weird as window is a foot from my bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

......but I am fit to tell the child's parents that he is not welcome outside my home, he is not a resident here and comes outside my home to irritate my pet. I am seriously contemplating sending the bill, I don't expect them to pay, but maybe the seriousness of the situation may hit them and they will actually tell their son off for his behaviour rather than ignore it.

If I were you Id visit the childs parents and explain that your cat has been injured as a result of their sons behaviour. Ask them to keep the child away from your property and your pet - but do so politely and nicely. Explain that if the cat feels the need to defend itself its Little Johnny who would come off the worst so out of concern for their child you want them to keep the child away seeing as he doesnt understand how to behave with animals.

Unfortunately if the cat is going out he is going to meet the real world outside. This is part of "a cats life". You cant protect him from every little thing. If he is out he could come across a nasty child, a stray dog, a moving vehicle, an urban fox etc... Maybe you could change the times he is out to avoid the children? But ultimately if he is going to be out, he is going to experience negative situations as well as positive ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

But ultimately if he is going to be out, he is going to experience negative situations as well as positive ones.

For me this point is key. If your cat leaves your property then you don't have any control over what he does or what is done to him if you don't accompany him. Is there any way you could lead train him so you could always go out with him and prevent him getting into situations that would be dangerous to him? If you let him out on his own then you're going to have to unfortunately take the rough with the smooth :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yeah anniehoo I never thought of it that way, I was just seeing it as an eye for an eye! Thinking back on it really the last thing you would need is neighbors with a resentment towards your cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

There is so much hatred of cats in this country that you do have to be very careful. My cats don't go far from the garden and quite often parents out walking young kids will come over to pet Felix. Now he's a very placid cat and generally gives a purr and stays out of grabbing distance but when I'm around I'll politely say hi to the parent and pick Felix up and take him indoors saying it's time for his dinner.

It's all fine and dandy when puss is purring away being petted in his own garden but I know well if little Johnny grabs him and gets scratched it'd be the cat that gets blamed.

I had one little cnut of a kid, about 10 or so, that kept harassing him when Felix was sitting in our garden. So I kept a big smile on my face while his mother sat across the green ignoring him tormenting the cat and I told him that if he ever came near my cats again I would put my foot up his hole and make his dog disappear. Admittedly not my finest hour but the little bas*ard is a freak and I wouldn't be surprised if he's a serial killer of the future. He's the creepy kid the others are forced to play with.

• Advertisement

I am aware there are dangers out there, we live right next to a valley with feral cats, foxes, badgers, etc and there is a dual carriageway and motorway within a km of us, I am not naive :) We have him vaccinated and neutered and that is the best we can do.

But it is when it is a child doing this right outside my home, I can do something. I worry that the cat will get peed off and defend himself, harming the boy, and I am worried for my cat getting harmed. I spent a hour at a vets today because of that child with a very peeved cat. He is okay, the eye is fine, but it shouldn't be happening when I have said time and again to the brat to stop. He doesn't live here, why the hell is he coming to annoy my cat!?!?! It baffles me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

But it is when it is a child doing this right outside my home, I can do something.

Is the boy actually trespassing onto your property or is he on public property outside your house? If he's not trespassing then unless you try to reason with the parents to discourage his behaviour or keep your cat in I'm not sure there's actually much you can do about the situation.

Advertisement