Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Honey celbridge/maynooth/leixpil

Options
  • 21-06-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone would know where I could buy some local produced honey.

Ive been told its good with helpling with hayfever to take some local honey and dont know where I could get this!

Ive tried the orchard garden centre but they dont stock local.

Any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen signs on a shop in clane. One side of clane is local... Unfortunately cant remember which shop!

I'd call the new "artisan" food shop in maynooth, rye gallery I think it's called

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

MYOB wrote: »
    I've seen signs on a shop in clane. One side of clane is local... Unfortunately cant remember which shop!

I'd call the new "artisan" food shop in maynooth, rye gallery I think it's called

Oh yeah thanks, I know the one you are talking about!

Ill give them a call.

Thanks a mill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Have you tried any of the fruit and veg shops? The one by Tesco does honey - not sure where it's from though.

I thought that one had closed down (the one that has been there for years?)!

But yes good idea, i will look into it.

I have emailed the chairman of the maynooth bee keeping society so I am waiting to hear back from him also, hopefully he might be able to point me to where it is sold!

Mastersons is definitely still open.

• Advertisement

Mastersons is definitely still open.

Success!

Rang Mastersons and they have local honey from Summerhill, so I shall give it a go!

Thanks for your help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Good thinking OP, Ill give this a go too !

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Good thinking OP, Ill give this a go too !

Yeah ive been told by a few people that taking local honey can build up your immune system to pollen, havn't a clue if it will work but im willing to try anything at this stage!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got some in Nisa (newsagents beside xtra vision) in Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Coopaloop wrote: »
    Yeah ive been told by a few people that taking local honey can build up your immune system to pollen, havn't a clue if it will work but im willing to try anything at this stage!
    Any luck with this Coopaloop? I might give this a try myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

It doesn't have the same effect when put in hot water, just in case anyone tells you to put it in tea. Something to do with the heat breaking down certain enzymes. I find a spoonful thrice a day does the trick :) I get mine from Masterson's too, it's the most local honey I've been able to find.

I got some yesterday from mastersons,just put two teaspoons on two slices of toast this morning,and i have to say i actually think it could be working,my eyes havnt been as itchy and nose not as blocked up,now i took a piriton too,but only one and i usually would have taken two by now and then another one before bed,who knows,maybe the pollen isn't as bad today so ill get a better idea of it when its sunny,but fingers crossed its working!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I got some in Nisa (newsagents beside xtra vision) in Maynooth.

Generally still known as Donovans or even "Londis" even though it hasn't been one in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Wow, I never knew about this with the honey. Nice one. I will bear that in mind when I get itchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Generally still known as Donovans or even "Londis" even though it hasn't been one in years.

It was only about a year ago I realised it wasn't a londis any more :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

How local does your honey need to be?!

I'm in rathangan. Any thoughts on where I'd get some in newbridge/Kildare town or further out?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think it was Londis when we moved here:) I will eventually learn the names for stuff here:)

How local does your honey need to be?!

I'm in rathangan. Any thoughts on where I'd get some in newbridge/Kildare town or further out?

Well im in Celbridge so id say the one from maynooth would be fine for you too,its from summerhill ,its says local is best to take but its fairly hard to find very local honey but id say you would be ok with this one. I think not local would be mayo or something!

I live directly across the road for the past 2 years and was only in there yesterday... And I never knew this.

Jesus. My observation skills are obviously terrible! :(

I live directly across the road for the past 2 years and was only in there yesterday... And I never knew this.

Jesus. My observation skills are obviously terrible! :(

so do I...
    More boards neighbours;)

• Advertisement

Small world :D

I'm around the corner - but I'm not saying which one ;)

Well pretty sure neither of you live on my road because everyone else here is ancient:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I really wish I could bring myself to eat honey. It's meant to be because the bees are collecting pollen (which causes your allergies) from your local area and that by eating the honey, you build up a tolerance to the pollen.
    It's meant to work brilliant for asthma sufferers too!
    My allergies are worse than ever this year, waking up at 4.30 am every morning wheezing and reaching for the inhaler! Hopefully some of you find relief from the honey though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

kellief wrote: »
    I really wish I could bring myself to eat honey. It's meant to be because the bees are collecting pollen (which causes your allergies) from your local area and that by eating the honey, you build up a tolerance to the pollen.
    My allergies are worse than ever this year, waking up at 4.30 am every morning wheezing and reaching for the inhaler! Hopefully some of you find relief from the honey though!!

Would be great if honey producers could produce some kind of capsule containing their local honey. OH doesn't like honey either but it's either that or put up with the hayfever!

Ive been taking it now since saturday and I have really seen a difference - its great!
    paddylonglegs & kellief.....would you try mixing it into something to mask the taste, like yogurt or porridge, i would say it would still work the same, although Im told putting it in tea doesn't.

I HATED the idea of honey and found the texture/thickness very offputting. I used to gag after every spoonful when I first started taking it- now I do it no bother and quite like it! It comes down to how desperate you are :pac:

One of the reasons local honey works quite well (besides the fact that it's made from the same stuff your hayfever is set off from) is because it's much less likely to be heavily processed. Paddylonglegs- unfortunately putting it in a capsule would require processing it in some way unless the capsules were going to be huge...

These tests are pretty handy ways to verify how pure your honey is. The purer the better for hayfever! :D

Edited to add to what Coopaloop was saying, absolutely mix it into thing but effectiveness is reduced when you mix it with something hot as far as I know, so maybe not the porridge and definitely not tea.

ALSO! I've noticed dairy and citrus fruits can set it off for me, so I avoid/dramatically reduce both as much as possible from February on each year and it makes a huge difference to my hayfever. I'm curious to know if any of you guys get the same- someone eat an orange tomorrow before 1pm and tell me if you get sneezy :P

I HATED the idea of honey and found the texture/thickness very offputting. I used to gag after every spoonful when I first started taking it- now I do it no bother and quite like it! It comes down to how desperate you are :pac:

One of the reasons local honey works quite well (besides the fact that it's made from the same stuff your hayfever is set off from) is because it's much less likely to be heavily processed. Paddylonglegs- unfortunately putting it in a capsule would require processing it in some way unless the capsules were going to be huge...

These tests are pretty handy ways to verify how pure your honey is. The purer the better for hayfever! :D

Edited to add to what Coopaloop was saying, absolutely mix it into thing but effectiveness is reduced when you mix it with something hot as far as I know, so maybe not the porridge and definitely not tea.

ALSO! I've noticed dairy and citrus fruits can set it off for me, so I avoid/dramatically reduce both as much as possible from February on each year and it makes a huge difference to my hayfever. I'm curious to know if any of you guys get the same- someone eat an orange tomorrow before 1pm and tell me if you get sneezy :P

What would be the best way to mix it to dilute the taste? I was thinking of putting it into the smoothies I make every morning, but would the taste not be very obvious??
    I remember my sister holding me down and forcing honey down my throat before a show when I had the start of an infection and it did not encourage my love of honey I can tell you!

I've an intolerance to citrus fruits anyway, so I have a low citrus fruit intake. I have berries and a bit of orange juice in my smoothie, but that would be the very most I could have. I don't use that much dairy either, intolerance to that as well, so I can't say if that makes it worse! I'm off to buy a human shaped bubble and just live in that now I think!

What would be the best way to mix it to dilute the taste? I was thinking of putting it into the smoothies I make every morning, but would the taste not be very obvious??
    I remember my sister holding me down and forcing honey down my throat before a show when I had the start of an infection and it did not encourage my love of honey I can tell you!

I've an intolerance to citrus fruits anyway, so I have a low citrus fruit intake. I have berries and a bit of orange juice in my smoothie, but that would be the very most I could have. I don't use that much dairy either, intolerance to that as well, so I can't say if that makes it worse! I'm off to buy a human shaped bubble and just live in that now I think!

I would put honey into a smoothie too, and cant taste the honey, you only need a teaspoon or 2! And if your putting in berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and maybe a banana?? That would mask the taste anyway i would imagine!

• Advertisement

Coopaloop wrote: »
    I would put honey into a smoothie too, and cant taste the honey, you only need a teaspoon or 2! And if your putting in berries like blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and maybe a banana?? That would mask the taste anyway i would imagine!

Great! I may pick up some local honey today so! If I can taste this I'm blaming you ha!

Advertisement