Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to encorage kittens to drink?

• 21-06-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I recently got a kitten (about 3 weeks ago) he seems fine and is settled in grand, is eating well (maybe a little too well) but doesn't seem to be drinking a lot of water, it doesn't seem to be effecting his health but I'm a little worried it might in the long run.

There is always fresh water available but he just doesn't seem bothered and I was wondering if there is anything I can put in the water to make him want to drink it more?

Also he's on wet food so he might be getting enough moisture from that?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Cats do often get enough fluids from wet food but there are a few tricks you. An try to get them to have water, but some cats just aren't big drinkers so may never take to it! First you could try moving the water bowl away from the food bowl if they are beside each other, in the wild cats wouldn't bring their prey to wherever they drink they don't have the same need as we seem to with eating and drinking together, and the smell of the food may 'taint' the water and put kitty off. You could also try investing in a fountain, stagnant water isn't that appealing so these fountains keep the water on the move, and the movement often attracts them to have a drink (or in my kittens case splash everyone!). If you are really worried like on a hot day you could try adding a small drop of cat milk to the water (can get it in any grocery shop) and this usually does the trick for my guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pretty much spot on there, great advice. Freshen the water as much as you can also, I find that can help.
    Also if you have a way of collecting rainwater, do it as cats can be turned off by what we have in our tapwater.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You can also mix in some additional water in the cat food; for example we currently got two feral kittens in quarentine. When we feed them their food we mix it up with a spoon or two of water to get more liquid in to them (due to the weather).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zonie1069

Thank you so much! it might very well be that I have the water beside the food, because even though he's a pure pet he seems to have quite wild instincts (for example he tries to bury his food bowl after eating) I'll try moving it and if not I'll start putting some water in his food. Thanks again! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

My cat won't drink water unless it's running out of a tap, which is something you could try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

have to agree with the rainwater theory my fella seems to love it he has plenty water bowls around the house indoors and outdoors but always seems to love lapping the rainwater from anyplace it gathers even a puddle in the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭JaneeMack

My cat loves to drink water - more so than the actual food. He loves any of my food that I eat (he goes crazy when I cook or eat something on the table - he just wants them all!!) and he would have a sip of water almost every half an hour. But then he is very playful and when he plays rough, he gets very thirsty I think. He also loves to drink water out of my glass lol he just can't resist it - he has to dip his tongue into it every single time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I add a little water to the food for 1 of our cats as he'll only drink rainwater. 1 loves to drink from the bathroom tap and 2 are happy to drink from their water bowls.

Advertisement