Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• 21-06-2013 12:06pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Background....

Soon to be 37 year old male runner. Started running last year around June when I took part in a 5km and 8km race. Picked up an injury in the second race and was out of action for a good few months and only really got back into it in January.

Anyway in January I signed up to the Great Ireland run in the Phoenix park. I wanted to have a target or goal race to focus my mind and training around. That race was not until April so I had enough time , but I was starting from a very low base.

My Goal was just to get around and hopefully in less than an hour.

The training went very slowly to start, only getting out once or twice a week and usually only doing between 3 and 5 km at a time.

Through February and March I was only really getting out once per week if that and had only ran the 10km distance in training once.

Come race day I managed to get around, but predictably it was tough going, I started out OK but faded badly after the first few KM's and came in around 62 mins. Not too bad in the grand scheme of things.

By this time I had signed up to the Samsung night run which was 2 weeks later, I only really managed 1 training run in between and went around the Samsung course in 60 mins and 14 seconds. Disappointed to be still outside the 60 min mark I knew it was time to step up the training.

Around this time I started reading a lot of these forums, particularly the thread from future guy and started following the advice in that thread.

By this point I had signed up to do the Terneure 5 Mile on May 19th and the docklands 10km on June 20th.

I started training every second day. Usually 2 easy runs of about 8km with a longer run on the weekend. The long run started at 10km and I gradually added on about 1 km per week.

The 5 mile race was a bit disappointing as I was at the Heineken Cup final the day before and the few beers didn't help. The time was 44:53, where I was hoping for closer to 40 mins.

After this I started trying to go out 4 times per week and adding either a Tempo run or an interval session once per week.

The long runs have increased to around 17km at this point. I'm unsure whether to keep increasing that distance or to leave it at around that point.

Anyway last night I ran my 3rd 10KM and 4th race overall.

The race went well, I was targeting 55 mins but came in with a time of 51:51, so I was well happy with that. The second half of the race was much faster than the first so for my next one I will try and go out a bit faster and aim to maintain that speed for the full course.

My next race will be the 10KM around Dun Laoghire bay where I hope to go under 50 mins.

After that race I plan to try some longer races, specifically the 10 mile and half marathon as part of the DCM race series.

My main question at this point is should I ease off on the long runs or keep trying to increase the distance above the HM distance?

My target for these races is 1hr 20 for the 10 mile and 2 hours for the Half.

Now having said all that, I'm away on holidays for the next week so will be back training from early July.

All my runs are logged on Endomondo if you want to take a look:

http://www.endomondo.com/profile/4511424

Thanks for reading and sorry for the long first post!!

Adrian

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Date: 22/06/2013
    Session: Easy pace Run/Recovery Run
    Distance: 9.24 km
    Duration: 57 mins
    Avg Pace/km: 6.11
    Avg HR: 144

Good workout, feeling a bit tired following the 10KM race on Thursday but good to get out again. I probably started off too quickly but settled into a nice pace after that.

I leave for a weeks holiday's on Monday evening, hope to get a session in on Monday before I go and also bring the runners and try and get something done out there!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ah, my sadly neglected training log, buried on page 5 of the forum.

As I mentioned above I was away on holidays. I was filled with the best of intentions, packing garmin, running shoes etc, but no running was done all week, too hot and no enthusiasm for that sort of thing.

I did however get one run in before I left last Monday, easy paced run.

I aim to get back into the swing of things quickly this week as I've a 10k planned for the weekend of the August Bank Holiday.

Date: 24/06/2013
    Session: Easy Pace Run
    Distance: 8km
    Duration: 47:21
    Avg Pace/km:5.55
    Avg HR:154

Pace was a little erratic on this one but it served it's purpose, and I was glad to get a run in before I jumped on the plane.

I've been lazy about updating this training log so I have a few sessions to log tonight.

I've been getting through the sessions but I've found the motivation difficult.

Anyway...

Date: 02/07/2013
    Distance: 7.94km
    Duration: 47:13
    Avg Pace/km:5.57
    Avg HR:153

I found this extremely tough just to get through it, first run back after a week off. I must remember never to take time off again.

Date: 04/07/2013
    Distance: 7.78km
    Duration: 45.13
    Avg Pace/km:5.49
    Avg HR:155

I found this a little easier but still getting back into it.

Date: 05/07/2013
    Session: Tempo Run
    Distance: 7.01km
    Duration: 39.09
    Avg Pace/km:5.35
    Avg HR:159

Tempo run strating slowly and building up some pace before easing off at the end, I was intending to go a bit longer at pace but couldn't keep it up, still overall happy with the workout, but it does show how much work is to be done if I'm to go under 50 mins in my 10K on the august Bank Holiday.

Lap times were:

• Advertisement

Date: 08/07/2013
    Session: Long Slow Run
    Distance: 19.01km
    Duration: 1:58:26
    Avg Pace/km:6.14
    Avg HR:158

This was my first LSR for a while the last one was on June 15th, with a race the following week and then taking time off training.

It was tough going and I maybe did a bit too much given that I still added 10% to the distance of the last run.

Interestingly my pace has improved a good bit, last time out I had 17.1KM in 2 hours, this time I've 19km in 1:58.

Anyway I'm glad I did this session but I reckon I'll pay for it over the next few days.

Date: 10/07/2013
    Session: Easy Run
    Distance: 6.09km
    Duration: 35:19
    Avg Pace/km:5.48
    Avg HR:N/A

Was a bit tough getting back out after 19km on Monday. Forgot the HR monitor.

Would have liked to do a bit more but I was feeling a bit sore so finished early.

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/214570513/4511424

Date: 11/07/2013
    Distance: 10.01km
    Duration: 58:45
    Avg Pace/km:5.52

Good run last night. Went a bit slower and was happy to clock up 10KM at an easy pace.

The HR monitor is apparently no longer working, I'll try replacing the battery.

Interestingly this run at easy pace is almost 4 mins faster than my 10km race time for the Great Ireland Run in April. I'll be looking to hit around 50mins in the 10km in Dun Laoighre on the Bank holiday weekend.

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/215012304/4511424

Date: 12/07/2013
    Session: 10x 400m Intervals with 200m recovery
    Distance: 6km
    Duration: 41:52
    Avg Pace/km:6.58

400m times:

1. 1.41
    2. 1.44
    3. 1.50
    4. 1.46
    5. 1.52
    6. 1.46
    7. 1.47
    8. 1.54
    9. 1.46
    10. 1.45

I find it tough to pace these intervals at all when I'm running them and here I probably ran them too fast, I was aiming for around 2 mins per 400, but faster on every one.

This is also the first time I've had 3 sessions on consecutive days and generally feeling good after all that.

41km logged this week and hopefully one more session to come on Sunday.

link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/215358675/4511424

Date 15/07/2013
    Distance: 21km
    Duration: 2:10:27
    Avg Pace/km:6.13

Well this was easily the toughest training run I've ever done. For some reason it seemed a whole lot tougher than the 19km run the previous week. I was ready to give up from around 14km onwards and the last 3 km were a real struggle.

Despite all that the km times remained fairly consistent and I'm hoping that long runs like this will really stand to me in the races to come.

Judging by how I felt after doing this session I feel it may be a bad idea to increase the distance again next week, but I'll see how I'm feeling at the time.

My Heart Rate Monitor still refuses to work so now data on that. I think the pace of 6:15 per km is about as much as I can manage on these long runs at this point.

Workout Link:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/216705225/4511424

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

adrian522 wrote: »
    Date 15/07/2013
    Distance: 21km
    Duration: 2:10:27
    Avg Pace/km:6.13

Well this was easily the toughest training run I've ever done. For some reason it seemed a whole lot tougher than the 19km run the previous week. I was ready to give up from around 14km onwards and the last 3 km were a real struggle.

Despite all that the km times remained fairly consistent and I'm hoping that long runs like this will really stand to me in the races to come.

Judging by how I felt after doing this session I feel it may be a bad idea to increase the distance again next week, but I'll see how I'm feeling at the time.

My Heart Rate Monitor still refuses to work so now data on that. I think the pace of 6:15 per km is about as much as I can manage on these long runs at this point.

Workout Link:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/216705225/4511424

Well done mate , i'd love to be able to run a 5 k without stopping but can't , starting the couch to 5 k tonight and ill see how i go . Id love to be able to run a half marathon id say its a great feeling , keep up ur good work

Well done mate , i'd love to be able to run a 5 k without stopping but can't , starting the couch to 5 k tonight and ill see how i go . Id love to be able to run a half marathon id say its a great feeling , keep up ur good work

Thanks!!

I was where you are about a year ago, I ran a 5km and an 8km and found them both a struggle just to get through.

If you stick with it, it''s well worth it and the improvements come very quickly when you are starting out.

Date 17/07/2013
    Distance: 4.6km
    Duration: 26:59
    Avg Pace/km:5:52

Disappointing run, feel a bit unwell just had no energy, think I'm coming down with something, felt really dehydrated even though I'd had plenty of water during the day. All in all not a great session

As mentioned above I was feeling pretty bad on Wednesday and I've been doing pretty badly ever since, chest infection, sore throat and fever.

Utter disaster and I don't think I'll be out running over the next few days either.

It's very depressing and I think I can forget about running a good time for the DLR bay 10k in 2 weeks.

Well I've ben pretty sick with a chest infection and coughing up all sorts of gunk etc. It's been frustrating having to sit around and watch my fitness slip away. 11 consecutive days with no running, but no more, back at it today.

Firstly I've got a race on Monday and I'm not at all confident of even being able to match or get close to the time I did in the docklands race. That was 51:50 and I was hoping to go sub 50 in DLR bay but given how much time I've missed I'd be happy just to go around in 53 or so mins.

Anyway my plan for the week is to do an easy run on Monday and Tuesday, try a tempo run on Wednesday, rest up on Thursday, easy run again on Friday and then not do anything Saturday or Sunday. Hopefully this will have me as well prepared as possible for the 10km on Monday. If anyone has any suggestions for a better way of preparing do let me know.

Onto tonight's session it was always going to be tough after the extended break but I really struggled at times and was just happy to finish, a lot of aches and pains etc and also I struggled a lot with pacing, kept finding myself running too fast and needed to force myself to slow down.

Date 29/07/2013
    Distance: 8.01km
    Duration: 47:21
    Avg Pace/km:5:55

Link http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/223115760/4511424

Date 30/07/2013
    Distance: 10.01km
    Duration: 59:00
    Avg Pace/km:5:54

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/223645519/4511424

Wasn't quite as tough as the previous night but still a bit of a struggle at times. Hoping to get 2 more runs in before the weekend, 1 tempo and 1 one more easy paced run.

Well training has been a bit of a slog recently and my 10 km race went pretty badly on Monday.

On Thursday I attempted a tempo run but wasn't able to keep up my (fairly moderate pace). Given that I knew I was in trouble for the race on Monday. In the end I decided to skip the run on Friday and try and rest up and give the race a proper go:

Date 01/08/2013
    Session: Tempo
    Distance: 4.08km
    Time 23:30
    Avg Pace: 5:45km

After this I just reverted to an easy run/jog back home and was pretty disappointed with the whole session.

Totals for July:

Distance: 108KM
    Time: 10:54:10

Weekly Total
    Distance :24.12km
    Time: 2:22:10

Given the above preparation I could have expected the race to be a poor performance but I decided to give it a good go anyway. In retrospect I should have ran it at a much slower pace but I went out with a quick pace as if my training had been going very well, which it wasn't. I paid for this in the end.

The first 3 km's were good but after that I faded badly. The course ended up being a lot tougher than I had been expecting and I ended up having to take a breather at the water station at half way and again later in the race. I've never had to do this before and it was a huge hit to my confidence to be honest.

I have a 10 mile race in less than 3 weeks so I think now I just want to get back to running longer distances at a comfortable pace and hopefully I'll be able to get through it.

Date 05/08/2013
    Session: DLR Bay 10km Race
    Distance: 10.19km
    Time: 58.02
    Avg Pace: 5:42km.

As you can see the training and recent race haven't been going very well. To that end it's time to get back to basics, which means lots of easy paced runs, long runs at the weekend and tempo runs and intervals at a more moderate and realistic pace.

Anyway given that my upcoming races are 10 mile and half marathon I've decided to switch my timings to miles rather than KM. Sorry about the confusion but it helps me see this as a fresh start and is more in line what most people on this site use. Also it makes more sense when training for a 10 miler and longer.

Anyway, tonight I clocked up 6 miles at a moderate pace. It was nice to get back out after not doing anything since Monday.

Date 08/08/2013
    Session: Easy pace Run
    Distance: 6 Miles
    Time: 56:13
    Avg Pace/mile: 9.22

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/227953402/4511424

Thanks for reading and as ever I'd appreciate any comments you have for me!!

It felt good to get out running for the second night in a row. It feels much too long since I last did that.

Building up a nice training base again with 6 miles each of the last 2 nights. I even added some hills to tonights route.

The plan now is to rest up tomorrow and get out for a LSR on Sunday, hopefully incorporating the actual route for the race series 10 mile in the Phoenix park.

Date 09/08/2013
    Session: Easy pace Run
    Distance: 6.55 Miles
    Time: 61:24
    Avg Pace/mile: 9.22

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/228347550/4511424

• Advertisement

Well I got out for a long run this morning but I didn't get over to the Phoenix Park.

I found it incredibly tough from around mile onwards. I had to stop a few times but am glad I eventually managed to finish it out. i started out on 10min/mile pace, but was unable to stick with that pace.

I guess all of this is a symptom of not putting in the miles recently. I have the 10 mile in less than 2 weeks and for now I'm not thinking about a goal time but just getting around as best I can.

Date 11/08/2013
    Session: Long Run
    Distance: 12.01 Miles
    Time: 2:05:16
    Avg Pace/mile: 10:26
    Avg HR 158

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/229292595/4511424

Weekly Totals:

30.89 miles
    5h:00:54

Well, had a recovery/rest day yesterday so had to get back out this evening. The long run on Sunday really took a lot out of me but in all honesty I felt pretty good even yesterday so I was fine to get out this evening.

I decided to continue to build up the miles with an easy paced run and I will probably do the same again tomorrow. I hope to do some hill work on Friday before going for another 12 miles on Sunday. That's the plan anyway in preparation for the 10 mile race on August 24th.

Anyway tonight actually felt really good, I integrated some hills into the session and while they were tough I regained my Rytham quite quickly afterwards. I did a little over 6 miles and at a quicker pace than last week.

Date: 13/08/2013
    Session: Easy Paced Run
    Distance: 6.36 Miles
    Time: 58:55
    Avg Pace/mile: 9:15
    Avg HR 162

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/230247445/4511424

Another day another run. Similar to yesterday, went out aiming for an easy paced run to help build up the miles. i found it a bit tougher today. I was a bit lethargic and didn't find it as easy as yesterday. there are always good days and bad days I guess.

I went a bit further than yesterday and included more hills than yesterday too. As a result of this and generally not really feeling it too much my pace was a bit slower but still happy with it overall.

Tomorrow I'll take a day off before doing some hill work on Friday.

Date: 14/08/2013
    Session: Easy Paced Run
    Distance: 7.02 Miles
    Time: 67:15
    Avg Pace/mile: 9:35
    Avg HR 159

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/230779499/4511424

So today I had the idea to do some hill work. I've never done this before so I wasn't sure how to go about it. I did a mile warm up jog, then got to a hill that is pretty steep, about 200 meters long. i did 10 reps of running up the hill and jogging/walking back down. each rep took about 1 minute.

Not sure how much benefit this will be or if I would have been better off doing an interval session with 800m intervals or a tempo run or something, but i want to try and build some more strength in my legs.

Anyway, I hope to do a long run on Sunday, 12 miles or so at 10min/mile pace.

Date: 16/08/2013
    Hill Session.

1 mile warmup @ 8.50

10 x 200m uphill (1 min each with 1 min recovery)

1x mile warm down @ 9.30

Another Sunday, another long run. Today I decided to head up to the Phoenix park for my long run. Last week my long run was 12 miles but I really struggled with it, couldn't keep my pace up and kept needing breaks.

Today was much better, started at pace just under 10 min per mile and managed to keep that up the whole way around. I had intended to cover the 10 mile course as part of this but took a few wrong turns so that didn't quite work out but I did hit a few hills so I feel in pretty good shape for the race next week.

I actually covered the HM distance in 2:08 so my target of sub 2 hours no longer seems that crazy.

This is my second consecutive week hitting 30 miles so I'm happy with that. Anyway onwards towards next week.

Date: 18/08/2013
    Session: Long slow Run
    Distance: 13.2 Miles
    Time: 2:09:42
    Avg Pace/Mile: 9.49
    Avg HR: 152

Link http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/232450505/4511424

Weekly Totals:

30.99 Miles
    Tine: 4:58:11

I want to take it pretty easy this week with the race on Saturday, so no running yesterday. Today I decided on a tempo/quick pace but for a much shorter distance than usual.

I'll go for a short easy pace run tomorrow and then rest up on Thursday and Friday(might do a mile or so on Thursday actually). I'm sitting here thinking I better do myself justice in this race after all this prep.

I'm still not sure what sort of pace to run on Saturday. I'd like to go around in 90 mins which would mean 9m/m. however that seems a bit quick for me to hold up for 10 miles so I'll probably head out a bit slower, 9:20-9:30 and see how I'm feeling after 3 or 4 miles maybe pick up the pace then if I'm feeling good. The last thing i want is to go out too fast and have nothing left for the last few miles, which apparently are the toughest.

Date: 20/08/2013
    Session: Tempo (or mini tempo)
    Distance: 3.01 miles
    Time: 26:29
    Avg Pace: 8:48 m/m
    Avg HR: 156

Mile Times: 9:11, 8:10, 8.58

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/233651880/4511424

An easy paced run this evening with a few strides thrown in, just 3 miles to keep me ticking over until the race on Saturday. I probably wont run at all tomorrow or Friday, so hopefully I'll be in good shape come Saturday morning.

I'm hoping for 1hr 30 or thereabouts. Impossible to know at this point as I've never raced the distance before, but I feel it should be achievable.

Date: 21/08/2013
    Session: Easy Run (With a few faster segments thrown in)
    Distance 3.21 miles
    Duration: 29:33
    Avg Pace: 9:11 m/m
    Avg HR: 156

Link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/234171994/4511424

Post race feeling pretty tired. i made the target time of sub 90 mins but only just. I had a lot of problems throughout the race especially towards the end. It must have been something I ate but I just needed to find a toilet quickly at the end. The last 1 and half miles were pretty terrible, stomach cramps etc, needed to slow to a walk at point but managed to soldier on through and get over in the line just under 90 mins.

For most of the race I was feeling good, the first 7 miles were all well below 9 min. The Hills didn't even bother me that much.

I feel I could have gone around a little faster, maybe by a minute or so. Not too bothered, something to aim for next time out. I'd feel pretty confident for the HM in 4 weeks. The goal at the moment is sub 2 hours but hopefully 1:55 is possible. Anyway a really enjoyable race if it wasn't for my body letting me down.

Also on the closing straight my HR went 1 above what I'd thought was my max HR.

Time to start training for the next one.

Date: 24/08/2013
    Session: Frank Duffy 10 mile
    Distance 10.11 miles
    Duration: 1:29:40
    Avg Pace: 8:52 m/m
    Avg HR: 169

Mile paces:

8:44, 8:48, 8:54, 8:54, 8:48,8:47,8:37,9:01,9:11,9:17

link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/235554866/4511424

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Well done. A sub-2 half will be no bother to you at all. I was about 40 seconds faster than you today and ran a 1.58 half three weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Well, I'd best get on with it rather that sitting around wasting a perfectly good Sunday. Despite the fry up for breakfast I pulled on my new pink T-Shirt and hit the road for a recovery run.

It was fine, kept the pace slow and tried to enjoy it, hit a few hills along the way but nothing too strenuous. I even encountered another runner wearing the pink T-Shirt from yesterday.

Next week the training for the half will begin/resume in earnest.

Date: 25/08/2013
    Session: Recovery Run
    Distance 5.34 miles
    Duration: 55:01
    Avg Pace: 10:18 m/m
    Avg HR: 144

link: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/236138928/4511424

Weekly totals:

Distance 21.67
    Duration: 3:20:42

Advertisement