Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Friday

6.2 Miles @ 9:19

Found out today that Eric Cantona Kung fu kick was 20 years ago today. I was a fist year in college then. Long time ago. That 18 year old me would never have considered running to be a fun activity.

The 38 year old me doesn't really consider watching premiership football to be a fun activity.

Good times.

9:27, 9:20, 9:16, 9:13, 9:11, 9:19, (9:47)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Saturday

4 Miles @ 8:53

Did Day 14 of the challenge, getting tougher and certainly takes closer to 30 mins than 20 mins, then went out for a short leg loosener. A bit faster than I would have liked.

Unfortunately Garmin refuses to upload the workout despite it showing up in the history section on the watch.

9:24/8:31/8:44/8:49/

HR: 149 (80%)

I'm not sure what's realistic for tomorrow, I'll try to hold pace at 7:00 m/m for the first 2-3 miles and re-assess from there. I guess a time of 35:00 or thereabouts would make me happy.

I'm not familiar with the course but hopefully the weather will play ball.

Current PB is 38:30 from last May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow.

+1 best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's realistic for tomorrow, I'll try to hold pace at 7:00 m/m for the first 2-3 miles and re-assess from there. I guess a time of 35:00 or thereabouts would make me happy.

The course is great, I would say faster than Sportsworld, Mile 1 is a bit congested , mile 2 is a bit slower than the others. 3 and 4 are very fast and 5 you just hang on. If you are a little behind after 2 miles don't worry. I would even recommend not looking at the watch at all as some of the GPS readings can be a bit off if I remember correctly. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Have a good one tomorrow man

Thanks all, I'll give it a good go...

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Good luck with it. Sub 35 no bother to you!

Well that didn't go brilliantly, 35.40 on the Garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Its a PB by nearly 3 mins, not to be sniffed at. Its windy in Co Meath today, i'd imagine its worse in Raheny. Its great progression, sub 35 next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Well done Adrian, there are very few wins in running but when you cross the line knowing that you finished faster than you ever have before, its a win

Enjoy the PB its a great run and come tomorrow it all starts again in pursuit of the next PB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great improvement.... well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I didn't realize when I was talking to you that it was a three and a half minute PB - you kept that part quiet! Nice work and sub 35 no bother to you next time I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic pb A! That's some improvement!!

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I second all the above. Thought you were nailed on for the sub 35 but 3 minutes off a 5 mile time can't be sneezed at. How long ago was it set?

Thanks, it's a good time and I can't be disappointed with a 3 min pb. I would have liked 34:xx but it just wasn't there today.

I knew from early on it wasn't happening, it's hard to set a target wen you haven't been racing.

I found it very congested at the start, I needed to tie my shoelace after about 300 meters, bad start.

I tried to make up time and finished with a first mile of 7:11

The next Mile was when I knew I wasn't going sub 35, I gave it all I had but only 7:01. from then on I just settled into the pace. 7:06, 7:09, 7:07 to finish.

I think in the end I got the best time I was capable of on the day. Hopefully I'll have picked up those 40 seconds by the time Sportsworld 5 mile rolls around in May.

2 Mile Warmup with Strides @ 9:00
    Raheny 5 Mile @ 7:05
    3 mile Recovery @ 9:40

Total for the day is 10:4 Miles
    total for the week is 48.8

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I didn't realize when I was talking to you that it was a three and a half minute PB - you kept that part quiet! Nice work and sub 35 no bother to you next time I'm sure.

Yeah, wasn't really thinking in terms of that time from last year to be honest but it is a big jump from 38:30.
    Ososlo wrote: »
    Fantastic pb A! That's some improvement!!

Thanks A, surprised not to see you afterwards.
    JohnDozer wrote: »
    I second all the above. Thought you were nailed on for the sub 35 but 3 minutes off a 5 mile time can't be sneezed at. How long ago was it set?

That was set in May at the Sportsworld 5 mile.
    tang1 wrote: »
    Its a PB by nearly 3 mins, not to be sniffed at. Its windy in Co Meath today, i'd imagine its worse in Raheny. Its great progression, sub 35 next time.

Yeah, I know you're right, it was just my initial disappointment at not hitting my target time.
    ECOLII wrote: »
    Well done Adrian, there are very few wins in running but when you cross the line knowing that you finished faster than you ever have before, its a win

Enjoy the PB its a great run and come tomorrow it all starts again in pursuit of the next PB

Thanks, I know you are correct, as I said above, initially disappointed not to
    hit my target, but as you say good improvement over the distance.

I may leave it till the day after tomorrow to start chasing the next one.
    annapr wrote: »
    Great improvement.... well done!

Thanks Anna.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Huuuuge chunk off your previous PB. I get your disappointment, and kudos for aiming high. Congrats Adrian, it's there for the taking over the next race or two.

Edit: refer to log title :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Well done Adrian. Not a bad thing to know there's room for improvement the next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Very well done A, super time - smashing your pb. 34:xx without doubt in the next one!

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Huuuuge chunk off your previous PB. I get your disappointment, and kudos for aiming high. Congrats Adrian, it's there for the taking over the next race or two.

Edit: refer to log title :D

Thanks, yeah happy to aim high to be honest. The thing is I probably would have tapered a bit better and given James Dunne a bit of a break if I'd really been targeting this race as a goal race.
    Well done Adrian. Not a bad thing to know there's room for improvement the next time.

Thanks, yeah, hopefully the extra few seconds will be there next time.
    Mimojo wrote: »
    Very well done A, super time - smashing your pb. 34:xx without doubt in the next one!

Hope you're right. 5 Mile is not a distance I race a whole lot, probably just do he Sportsworld 5 mile. There is a BHAA one in RTE but I think it is on the same weekend as the Tallaght AC 5KM so probably give that a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Well done Adrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well done yesterday Adrian.
    I know how you feel re: not hitting your pre-race target, but also like me you ran a pb so be happy about that and worry about the sub 35 next time out.
    There will be plenty of days when you don't pb to get down about ;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Well done yesterday Adrian.
    I know how you feel re: not hitting your pre-race target, but also like me you ran a pb so be happy about that and worry about the sub 35 next time out.
    There will be plenty of days when you don't pb to get down about ;)

Really? You don't PB everytime you go out?:eek: I don't think I really fancy that.

Excluding Parkruns (2) I've raced 20 times and PB'd in 17 of them.

I guess it will get more difficult the more I race!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Really? You don't PB everytime you go out?:eek: I don't think I really fancy that.

Excluding Parkruns (2) I've raced 20 times and PB'd in 17 of them.

I guess it will get more difficult the more I race!

Up until the Dublin Marathon in October I had pb'd in every race I'd ever run in. The run does end, so you need to enjoy the PB's when they come :)

They definitely get more difficult, trust me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Well done Adrian.

Sorry, I take it back.

You're rubbish, why didn't you run faster?

:p

I asked for that :o

Monday:

No Running. I decided to take a rest day after the race. This decision happened during the day as I had a few aches and pains and had run each of the last 7 days. Instead I just did the James Dunne challenge, Day 16.

Happy to get this far into it, have only had one missed day so far. I find it good for the most part, certainly think it is having a positive effect on my running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Hi Adrian522! I've just found your log and looks like we have similar pace and goals. Also a proclivity towards untied shoelaces :rolleyes: I'll be following with interest.
    BG

Advertisement