Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

proclivity eh? That's the fancied word that's ever been used on this log!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

adrian522 wrote: »
    proclivity eh? That's the fancied word that's ever been used on this log!

Well I'm not running this week so posting fancy words on peoples' logs could be my thing 😀

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've been so busy reading other logs, I've forgotten to update my own.

Tuesday

6.2 Miles @ 9:25

Day 17 of the James Dunne challenge, followed by some nice easy miles, nothing to write home about. Felt a few post race aches but nothing too serious.

Wednesday

6.4 Miles @ 9:09

Ran home from work today, nice evening for it, took the long way. Over 6 miles in total, got home and did day 18 of James Dunne. All good, I'm through stage 3 but no sign of my resistance band arriving for stage 4.

9:41/9:13/9:27/9:11/8:50/8:46/(8:43)

Left the car in work so no option but to run into work tomorrow.

Thursday

5.42 Miles @ 9:07 m/m

Listening to the radio you would think there was no point getting out of bed, snow, black ice, wind, bitterly cold temperatures. I was pleasantly surprised when I ventured outside to find the weather pretty good actually, wind was mostly at my back and the temp, while cold was good for running. Only issue was it started to snow fairly heavily on the way in.

I was delighted to see the traffic was very heavy and my own smugness carried me all the way into work.

I didn't take the most direct route but I didn't go the complete long way round either, a nice compromise for a Thursday morning.

Glad to get the run out of the way early as I won't get a chance later I don't think. Meeting the folks for lunch, then my brother is having a book launch at 6pm. Day 19 of the James Dunne 30 Day challenge is going to have to wait until tomorrow.

9:33/8:58/8:51/9:12/9:00/(9:00)

I plugged all my PB's into a VDOT calculator last night to see where I currently am by that metric, results below...

Dist|Date|PB|VDOT
    5K|Dec 14|21:09|46.65
    5 Mile|Jan 15|35:43|46.37
    10K|Aug 14|48:24|41.57
    10 Mile|Aug 14|1:18:58|42.42
    Half|Sep 14|1:42:51|43.64
    Mara|Oct 14|3:49:23|40.02

Not sure what it all means, probably that my time from Raheny stands up well against other runs I've done, I'm as fit now as I've ever been, the 10K time can come done by a good few mins next time out, and that VDOT doesn't seem that effective at predicting marathon times.

• Advertisement

Friday

Warm up + Drills + 10 Short Hill Sprints + Cool down

This is the only session of the week and it is none too taxing. Glad I'm giving Trim a miss as I'd like to get some consistency into my training.

Was pretty good weather last night, no need for Gloves, got it done straight after work, then joined my colleagues in the pub. I'm not going to lie, Session+No Dinner+Plus lots of beer don't make for a great training regime.

In the pub I asked for a O'Hara's pale Ale, the barman said the keg needs to be changed, then returns saying would I take a Smithwicks pale Ale as "it's more or less the same" Eh, No it isn't. I went for Galway Hooker as a compromise.

Total 6.1 Miles @ 8:52

Saturday

6.4 Miles @ 8:36

Woke up feeling not great, very dehydrated and tempted to ditch todays run. I'd left my car in work so no option really than to go and get it.

The pace was a little quick on this, and it was a bit of a struggle at times. Never a huge fan of hungover running.

8:49/8:33/8:29/8:32/8:43/8:31

I've hit a bit of a roadblock on the James Dunne challenge. I ordered a resistance band from Elvery's to be delivered to their shop. That was on Sunday and it still hasn't arrived. Terrible service to be honest, I would have thought it would have been ready in a day or so.

Tempted to just plough on with the alternative exercises but that would defeat the purpose of getting the band in the first place. Today marks the 3rd day of no 30 Day challenge.

Finally, Total for January is 191.4 Miles. This is 191.4 Miles more than last January. A good start on the road to 2K2015.

Runs|27
    Sessions|8
    Long Runs|2
    Races|1
    PB's|1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Clueless barman that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Why don't you go back and repeat some of the exercises from earlier on the James Dunne Challenge until your resistance band arrives (I got mine from sportsdirect btw). I hate to see you being deprived of your core work ;)

Why don't you go back and repeat some of the exercises from earlier on the James Dunne Challenge until your resistance band arrives (I got mine from sportsdirect btw). I hate to see you being deprived of your core work ;)

Ha ha, Some of the exercises I like but a lot of them I found uncomfortable to do.

I guess I should do something alright. The non delivery is just an excuse at this stage. In fairness I wouldn't have had time Thursday or Friday anyway.

BTW the pace for my run today is wrong on strava, I had forgot to take the Garmin off pause for a little while and as such one of my mile paces is incorrect. 8:36 is the (correct) overall pace. Still fast but not by as much as I thought.

Sunday

Long Run 12.1 Mile @ 8:42 m/m

Late start today after an epic 12 hour sleep :cool:

Beautiful running weather, probably went a little fast but it was an enjoyable run and an enjoyable pace.

Total for the week is about 42 miles.

Now, it's Superbowl Sunday so if someone could please pass the chips and dip and the chicken wings that would be great.

8:42/8:35/8:34/8:59/9:02/8:51/8:41/8:35/8:30/8:51/8:31/8:35

• Advertisement

Whos the money on Brady or Wilson?

Brady I reckon, he's well overdue number 4 at this stage. It's over 10 years since his last one, so that's where my money is going.

Brady I reckon, he's well overdue number 4 at this stage. It's over 10 years since his last one, so that's where my money is going.

If the Patriots O-line do a half decent job at protecting him i'd say your right. But that Seattle defence is hard stopped. Hopefully its not a repeat of last years one sided game. And theres Katy Perry to look forward to at halftime.

Shamelessly stolen from some other logs around here.

Month|2013|2014|2015
    January|7|0|191
    Febraury|10|53
    March|7|111
    April|26|154
    May|69|121
    June|75|93
    July|67|212
    August|101|233
    September|85|261
    October|4|179
    November|13|28
    December|6|163
    Total|471.2|1606.2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Shamelessly stolen from some other logs around here.

Month|2013|2014|2015
    January|7|0|191
    Febraury|10|53
    March|7|111
    April|26|154
    May|69|121
    June|75|93
    July|67|212
    August|101|233
    September|85|261
    October|4|179
    November|13|28
    December|6|163
    Total|471.2|1606.2

oh cool, I think I'll steal your table too! and you have seriously upped your mileage... fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Just a little piece of trivia which you may or may not be interested in OP !

Stan the man agrees with your opening sentiments!

http://images.smh.com.au/2014/01/23/5098203/dh_wawrinka-20140123072230520889-620x349.jpg

That's pretty cool, may get that Tattoo myself!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's deadly man, well done.

Tuesday

5K Pace session

1.5 Mile warm up
    4x5 Mins @ 5K Pace with 3 min recoveries
    1.5 Mile CD

Nice session this, tough but doable. Most recently I'd done 5*4 mins, so this is a slight step up from that.

The first few reps were fine, but my pace seemed to slow on the last one. Not sure of the reason, maybe just getting tired, maybe a garmin issue or something.

Conditions underfoot were not great but other than that the weather was perfect.

Paces for the 5K interval were:

6:47/6:50/6:56/7:21

Also got back on the '30 Day Challenge' wagon after missing many days.

Just 11 more days to go!

Total: 7.2 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Tuesday

5K Pace session

1.5 Mile warm up
    4x5 Mins @ 5K Pace with 3 min recoveries
    1.5 Mile CD

Nice session this, tough but doable. Most recently I'd done 5*4 mins, so this is a slight step up from that.

The first few reps were fine, but my pace seemed to slow on the last one. Not sure of the reason, maybe just getting tired, maybe a garmin issue or something.

Conditions underfoot ere not great but other than that the weather was perfect.

Paces for the 5K interval were:

6:47/6:50/6:56/7:21

Also got back on the '30 Day Challenge' wagon after missing many days.

Just 11 more days to go!

Total: 7.2 Miles

Nice session! I just did the 'starter' 10 x 1 mins this morning. Looking forward to working my way up to this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

I've just realised after reading your update that I did 5*4 min this week instead of 4*5! Doh! Ah well will try it next week.

Wednesday

7.4 Miles @ 9.13 m/m

Cold run this evening. Got home at 7 did day 20 of James dunne then headed out. Seemed to get a lot colder quite quickly. Was late enough getting home and was nearly 10 before I got around to cooking. Woe is me.

Anyway the run was fine, nothing too crazy but a bit longer than I've been running lately.

9.10/9.10/8.57/8.52/9.27/9.35/9.24

Been trying to figure out what races to do and what to miss...

Anyway thinking something like this

Feb 08th - Enniscorthy 10K
    March 15th MSB 10K
    April 11th K-Club 10K
    May 17th SportsWorld 5 Mile

That takes me up to the beginning of the Marathon Training cycle. At the moment I'm thinking of following the P&D 55-70 18 Week plan. Not 100% on this but it seems to get good results for people.

Ass far as races over the summer, I believe that plan has 2 tune up races of 10-16K. The Frank Duffy 10 Mile may suit as one of those.

Frank Duffy 10 Mile - August 22nd

That is 5 weeks out from Berlin, so should fit in nicely. May need to find another race too.

Finally

Berlin Marathon - September 27th

Not sure after that, DCM 15 may be a possibility or some sort of Half Marathon at some stage.

Mullingar 10 mile on 19th of July? Great race which a few more from on here will vouch for.

Thanks, I'll have to have a look at the plan when I get home to see when exactly races are required but that could be a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks, I'll have to have a look at the plan when I get home to see when exactly races are required but that could be a good one.

P&D normally have a 10-15k race 4/5 weeks out and another shorter one (max 10k) 2/3 weeks out (I think). A lot of us traiing for berlin have done the blessington 10k as the 2nd race.
    http://www.thelakes10k.ie/front Normally it's the 1st or 2nd weekend in September

Yeah, that would be ideal, I'd prefer actual races to time trials obviously.

Thursday

Club Session 1 min Hard/1 Min Easy etc

Total 9.2 Miles

Warm up 3.2 Miles
    1 min Hard/1 Min Easy for 28 Mins
    1.8 Miles Cooldown

I'm struggling somewhat to record these sessions on the watch. Anyway, ventured back up to the club last night. First time since before Christmas.

This Session was good, maybe a little too intense right before a race but maybe not. Started with a light warmup then it was laps of Rathfarnham going 1 min hard/1 min Easy. This lasted for about 30 mins before cooldown mile and the short run home.

Garmin Connect has this at 8.8 miles, Starva as 9.2 so I don't really know how far it was.

The paces for the "fast" mins were as follows:

7:22/6:54/7:01/6:21/7:13/6:21/7:01/7:19/7:00/7:33/6:35/6:50/7:06/7:30/(6:51)

Friday

Easy paced run

6 Miles @ 9:09 m/m

Not feeling great today, bit of a cold coming on I think. was 50/50 on doing this but as ever in this situation I headed out in the end.

The legs were certainly feeling the effects of yesterdays session so kept it very easy and skipped today's James Dunne session.

Finally joined the club today so no turning back no.

Hopefully I'll be back on top form for Enniscorthy on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Saturday

3.9 Miles @ 8:37 m/m

still suffering with a bit of a cold, but struggled out of bed just after 9 and headed up to the club for hat as billed as a gentle jog. Turned out to be a bit quicker than that with most gearing up towards tomorrows cross country.

Anyway I hung on for a while before dropping back to an easier pace. Just short of 4 miles.

Hopefully this cold will GTFO by tomorrow morning.

Advertisement