Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If the cold is gone to your chest give yourself some time to get rid of it, your not recovering or shaking it off otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

tang1 wrote: »
    If the cold is gone to your chest give yourself some time to get rid of it, your not recovering or shaking it off otherwise.
    +1 but if it's from the neck up, you'll be grand. Good luck and I'll see you tomorrow if you decide to run :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Neck up, so if it doesn't get worse I'll be a go tomorrow

Do a RHR and temperature check in the am too (so yeah, go out and buy a thermometer now :D ). Rest up and stay warm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

hope you feel better for tomorrow, Adrian... very sensible advice from Dubgal (!)

• Advertisement

annapr wrote: »
    hope you feel better for tomorrow, Adrian... very sensible advice from Dubgal (!)
    Oh yeah and lots of hot whiskeys between now and the race Adrian :D:p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ha Ha, I'd never ruin a good whiskey by putting hot water in there.

My RHR is fine, 3-4 BPM above normal this morning.

Ennicorthy 10K - Garmin time of 44:39.

Happy with this as it comes off a week of no taper as such, with decent mileage and 2 sessions. Tough course and not feeling great during the week so, no complaints really.

This represents a pb of almost 4 mins so you have to be pleased, even though I feel there is more to come off that time in April.

Good to meet up with a few boardsies afterwards, a few taking home prizes!

Race report to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done Adrian!! Great result. You can have that whiskey now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Super time, well done! Will be interesting to see how much you can take off that in April. Congrats!

• Advertisement

That's going to have to wait, stopped by my parents in Kilkenny for dinner, so still need to drive back to dublin.

I do have a nice bottle of Galway Bay "Buried at Sea". A chocolate milk stout. I'll get stuck into that later.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Well done today Adrian, excellent time all things considered. Very nice to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Very well done Adrian, super time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

adrian522 wrote: »
    I do have a nice bottle of Galway Bay "Buried at Sea". A chocolate milk stout. I'll get stuck into that later.

Well I've heard chocolate milk is a good recovery drink so I guess chocolate milk stout is better! Well done on the race!

My official chip time is 44:54. Garmin time 44:39. seem like quite a difference,

Saturday

2 Mile Warmup + Some Strides
    Enniscorthy 10K in 44:39
    2 Mile Cool Down

Pre-Race

I wan't sure about the benefits of doing this race. I only raced Raheny 2 weeks ago and this wasn't a goal race but in the end I decided that the benefits would outweigh the drawbacks. It's always good keep sharp with races and I hadn't run a 10K since last August.

I firmly believe that racing is something that needs to be practiced just like any other skill you need to develop in running. I'd been a bit sick during the week but having made the decision to race I wasn't going to drop out unless I wasn't physically able to get out of bed.

I arrived down to Ennsicorthy in good time, found the GAA club without issue and picked up the number with no hassle. I bumped into Dubgal before the race, quick chat then decided to kill some time with a 2 mile warmup down towards the town along the river.

Mile 1: 7:36 m/m - 161HR (86%)

The start was very congested, kept having to move back, wasn't sure if this was to accomodate latecomers or what but we got going shortly after 12:05. Right from the start people were going very slowly or walking which casued a bit of a delay. The first mile is almost all uphill but I tried to settle into a decent pace.

Miles 2-3 7:01 m/m 170 HR (91%)/7:01 m/m 171 HR (92%)

With the crowd starting to thin out I was able to pick up the pace and overtake a good few. I was feeling quite good at this stage but trying to concentrate on staying relaxed.

Miles 4-5 7:16 m/m 171 HR (92%)/ 7:10 m/m 171 HR (92%)

Starting to work a bit harder here and just think about hanging on. I hadn't realised how much uphill there was on the course. Concentrating on picking off runners in front. Knew I'd have to dig in to keep this pace up.

Mile 6- finish 7:07 m/m 172 HR (92%)/ (5:36 m/m 176 HR (94%))

Mostly downhill finish, finally caught a couple I'd been chasing for the previous 2 miles and pushed on. I was glad to get over the line. Bumped into Pacing_Mule, Calvin Johnson and Yaboya1. Discovered I'd come up short in the handicap but still more than pleased with my big PB.

Post Race

Got out of the racing flats and threw on the jacket for a 2 mile warm down, funniest moment of the day was jogging back the last km at recovery pace when one of the marshals offered me very sympathetic encouragement "come on your nearly there" I'm thinking "yeah I know, i finished half an hour ago!.

Went up to the hall for the prize giving and the tea and cake. Very good setup and very well organised race. Can't argue with all that for €10. Certainly a race to keep on the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good PB on what sounds like a challenging course. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

massive congrats on the big PB.

Monday

Rest day, contemplated a recovery run or getting back into the James Dunne routine, but tiredness/laziness got the better of me. Probably needed the day off anyway

Tuesday

6.1 Miles @ 8:58

Bit of a **** day, arrived late for my NCT and the feckers wouldn't test the car so I'll have to do that again. Got home nice and early as a result so got my run in early. I as going to go down to sportsworld but didn't ant to hang around till 7 and I only wanted an easy run anyway.

Tom Joad wrote: »
    massive congrats on the big PB.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Good PB on what sounds like a challenging course. Well done.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super time, well done! Will be interesting to see how much you can take off that in April. Congrats!
    Well done today Adrian, excellent time all things considered. Very nice to meet you.
    Mimojo wrote: »
    Very well done Adrian, super time!!

Thanks everyone for the good wishes, it's very much appreciated. I'm happy with my run knowing I dug deep when needed and ran as good a time as I was capable of on the day however I am aware that on a flatter course with another 2 months training I'd hope to take a min or so off that time.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Well I've heard chocolate milk is a good recovery drink so I guess chocolate milk stout is better! Well done on the race!

Well there is that! It went down very well on Sunday night in any case, once I eventually made it back to Dublin!

• Advertisement

Wednesday

5.5 Miles Easy

The Keyboard on my laptop at home is fecked, making it difficult to log my runs.

Anyway, Did day 23 of the James Dunne challenge and then on with the new Brooks Pure Connect and off I went.

The new shoes felt very weird, not sure if I like them to be honest. I'll give them a few runs to bed in but glad I only dropped €45 on them.

club Session tonight hopefully.

Thursday

Club Session - 8.7 Miles @ 8:25 m/m

Disappointed to find that tonights session was the same as last weeks session, if I'd known that I may have done a tempo instead. Tonight started with Day 24 James Dunne. This was the last day of stage 4, just 6 days to go.

The club session started with a short warmup then 1 min Hard/1 min easy for about 28 mins.

Finished off with a cool down jog home.

Friday

Rest. Or Recovery. Or just plain laziness. Or a combination of all 3, who knows? No running anyway that's for sure. I was feeling the effects of the race and session a little but I probably could have done a few easy miles but didn't get it done.

Saturday

LSR 14.2 Miles @ 9:06 m/m

Having missed out in a run yesterday I wanted to make today a good one. I headed up around Marlay Park, 1 lap there, then back home for a little over 14 miles.

I feel I've been running my easy runs a little too fast lately so tried to slow this one down a bit. I feel an "Easy" HR should be around 141, most of my easy runs seem to be closer to 150. Today was 148.

I don't want to be a slave to the HR monitor but I also don't want to wear myself out doing too much steady stuff when it should be easy.

Anyway, happy with the work done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Friday

Rest. Or Recovery. Or just plain laziness. Or a combination of all 3, who knows? No running anyway that's for sure. I was feeling the effects of the race and session a little but I probably could have done a few easy miles but didn't get it done.

Saturday

LSR 14.2 Miles @ 9:06 m/m

Having missed out in a run yesterday I wanted to make today a good one. I headed up around Marlay Park, 1 lap there, then back home for a little over 14 miles.

I feel I've been running my easy runs a little too fast lately so tried to slow this one down a bit. I feel an "Easy" HR should be around 141, most of my easy runs seem to be closer to 150. Today was 148.

I don't want to be a slave to the HR monitor but I also don't want to wear myself out doing too much steady stuff when it should be easy.

Anyway, happy with the work done today.

You're going well,

Re the easy run pace, on this cycle I've noticed my easy run pace is even slower than the last cycle, I try and put most emphasis on the sessions and don't really pay much attention to the easy run pace as long as it's on the easy side of easy.

TbL

Thanks TBL, I think I could be going easier on certain runs, today was pretty easy all the way round, but that has not always been the case.

Sunday

7.2 Miles @ 8:56 m/m

Pretty severe hangover today so put this off till later in the day. Finally got going after the rugby was over at around 5pm. The James Dunne challenge has taken a turn for the better, one of the drills is done before starting the run but the rest if it is incorporated into the run.

6 x 60 meters Steady
    3 x 2 mins Steady.

Both are steady runs concentrating on particular aspects of form.

The run itself was a lot of fun, really enjoyed it, headed up around Tymon, a lap there including around the lake, got home just as it was getting dark. A good day's running anyway.

Total for the week is 41.7 Miles.

Monday

7.4 Miles @ 9:04 m/m

Same as yesterday there were some steady segments courtesy of James Dunne, the rest of it was just easy running.

Happy with the training at the moment, once the James Dunne finishes I'd like to get into some sort of routine of strength work. What would people recommend? The option of joining a gym and going once per week or so is there, other than that I could stick with body weight stuff at home or else look into Pilates or something.

Lap Paces:

9:23/8:25/8:28/9:38/9:24/8:56/9:07

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I'd like to get into some sort of routine of strength work. What would people recommend? The option of joining a gym and going once per week or so is there, other than that I could stick with body weight stuff at home or else look into Pilates or something.

I personally think you can't beat Pilates for runners but it depends on where your strengths and weaknesses lie. Pilates is great for posture & form, core strength and stability (not great for glutes though) but I find it less effective for arms/shoulders and legs so I supplement it with a light gym routine and Body Balance for stretching/alignment/leg strength. If I could only choose one activity it would be Pilates because core is my main area of weakness. Just shop around for recommendations for a good class that will challenge you, with a good instructor who will make sure you understand the basics and do the exercises correctly.

I'm listening to that advice too, thanks BG :)

• Advertisement

So I guess the next question is can anyone recommend an instructor or a class or something. Would be classes they have in the gym be worse than useless?

Advertisement