Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

adrian522 wrote: »
    So I guess the next question is can anyone recommend an instructor or a class or something. Would be classes they have in the gym be worse than useless?

What general area ? I can recommend on da north side but don't know if that would suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

So I guess the next question is can anyone recommend an instructor or a class or something. Would be classes they have in the gym be worse than useless?
    I did some classes in milltown which were done by a physio in small classes http:// milltownphysiotherapy.com/classes/timetable/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, yeah southside of town, Dublin 6,12, 14 or thereabouts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tuesday

Club Session

Warmup

5 x (400m Pace/400m Recovery/800m Pace/90 Secs Recovery)

Cooldown

Also included the James Dunne into the warmup cool down so that was 6 x 60 Meters steady and 2 x 5 mins steady.

Tough session here, 400m fast, followed by 400m recovery jog, then sprint back to the start, take 90 seconds and go again. Really tough but enjoyable session.

With the jog up and back to the club it turned into a fairly lengthy run.

Won't be able to upload this run until tomorrow but total came in at 10.6 Miles @ 8:22, which is a good enough session anyway.

Times were (400/800):

1:40/3:08
    1:43/3:16
    1:46/3:15
    1:47/3:11
    1:46/3:14

We were initially supposed to do 6 reps but everyone seemed to call it a day at 5. Suited me fine!

Wednesday

5.6 Miles @ 9:26 m/m

I was feeling the effects of yesterdays session today. Pretty tired most of the day and quite heavy legged for this one. I decided to keep it as slow as possible and spend a bit of time stretching and foam rolling afterwards.

The only concession was to the James Dunne (Day 29), same as the last few days and little bit of form work which does up the pace slightly (Miles 2 and 3) but other than that it was very very easy.

Average HR was 140 (75% of max).

10:01/8:50/8:55/9:24/9:33/(10:03)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

This is the place I've been going to, I find them very good, they're physio's and strength & conditioning and they'll give you a tailored workout to do at home. http://sportsmedireland.ie/

Thursday

Club Session - 1 Min Hard/1 Min easy etc.

Same session as usual on a Thursday. I ended up driving to the session straight from work so didn't have my usual extra couple of miles there and back. Didn't manage to get James Dunne Day 30 completed tonight either, that will have to wait until tomorrow.

1.73 Mile Warmup Easy Pace
    1 Min Hard/1 Min Easy for 28 mins
    0.7 Miles Cool down

Paces (Hard/Easy)

6:41/8:06
    6:31/8:04
    6:47/7:50
    6:44/8:22
    6:37/7:55
    7:25/8:59
    7:19/8:38
    6:55/8:46
    6:35/8:33
    7:22/9:14
    6:51/9:12
    6:01/8:49
    6:47/9:48
    7:00/9:10
    (5:04) -- Sprint Finish - 20 Secs

Total Miles 6.18

Friday

7.2 Miles @ 8:57 m/m

Just some easy miles after work. Supposed to be easy but the route has a fair few hills so was less than easy in places. The HR monitor seems to give extra high readings in the first mile or so of my runs lately, probably nearly time to replace the strap. Average HR was 147 (79%).

Also managed to tick off the last of the 30 day challenge. Glad its over to be honest, some of the workouts were good, some not so much, time to see what can be incorporated into a routine moving forward.

8:44
    8:42
    8:29
    9:05
    8:57
    9:30
    9:05
    (9:45)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Adrian... I think you might win the prize for the first person ever to finish the JD 30 days challenge!! i'm impressed by your dedication... i did Day 1 yesterday (a bit behind) for the first time... and reacquainted myself with some muscles I had forgotten existed!

Thanks Anna, I don't think I'm eligible for the prize though as I took about 2 months to get through it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Thanks Anna, I don't think I'm eligible for the prize though as I took about 2 months to get through it!

2 months to do it is brilliant Adrian. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Definitely a course record :D

Saturday

Tymon Long Run - 13.2 Miles @ 8:57 m/m

Wasn't sure about this one heading out, it could have been anything from 6 miles up to about 14 Miles.

I decided early on to drag it out to a long run and get it over with.

The first 10 or so miles were fine, pretty enjoyable. After that I could have done with some water or something but I didn't prepare for this. Around this time I really started to bonk, taking regular breaks and just struggling through. Feeling like I hadn't eaten enough or something. Anyway, I got through to just past 13 miles and walked the rest of the way home. I thought I'd brought €2 and was going to pick something up in the shop but no sign of the cash so just carried on home.

Just one of those days I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done on finishing the 30 day challenge. You're the first person I've heard of that actually finished it! I've just been doing a few of the exercises that I liked, but there's a good few I hope I'll never have to do again. Do you think it helped your running?
    If I'm doing a long run in Tymon I use the toilets near the playground and have a sip of water from the taps there. I think it's OK to drink! It tastes grand and its never made me sick anyway! I hate having to bring a bottle with me.

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done on finishing the 30 day challenge. You're the first person I've heard of that actually finished it! I've just been doing a few of the exercises that I liked, but there's a good few I hope I'll never have to do again. Do you think it helped your running?

Yeah I do, some of the strength work and balance exercises certainly helped.

However the main benefit I got was knowing I could get into a routine of doing strength work without it taking too much time or impacting how much time I spend running.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    If I'm doing a long run in Tymon I use the toilets near the playground and have a sip of water from the taps there. I think it's OK to drink! It tastes grand and its never made me sick anyway! I hate having to bring a bottle with me.

Yeah, didn't even think of that. I normally would just bring some cash to buy water if needed on runs of between 10-14 miles. Longer than that I'll bring water and if on a run like today I'd just stash it somewhere and pick it up on the way around.

Obviously money isn't much help in Tymon though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

annapr wrote: »
    Adrian... I think you might win the prize for the first person ever to finish the JD 30 days challenge!! i'm impressed by your dedication... i did Day 1 yesterday (a bit behind) for the first time... and reacquainted myself with some muscles I had forgotten existed!

+1! good on you, I tried twice and failed twice, you might inspire me to try again though :-)

Sunday:

Plan A was early recovery run but didn't get up in time. Had to collect my Brother and Mum and drive them both to Kilkenny, then out to the house for lunch.

No time for a run there.

Off to the match only to see Kilkenny take a bit of a beating off Dublin. Plan B was to get a recovery run at this stage but met up with a friend I hadn't seen in a while so called off the run.

Back to the house for dinner, then drive back up to Dublin. Knackered at this stage so no running today.

50 Miles for the week.

Monday

Easy Paced Miles - 7.6 Miles @ 9:08 m/m

Really tempted to bail on this, after 7 when I arrived home, decided to do some core work before making a decision. Finally got going after 8. The weather was pretty poor, wind, rain and more wind.

Wasn't actually too bad once I got going, took the hat and gloves, removed after a mile or so, then back on before too long. Real dirty night, glad to get the run in though.

8:46/9:05/8:48/8:42/8:52/9:18/9:40/(8:59)

Guess when the wind was at my back and when it was in my face?

Average HR was 140 which is 75% of max

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Obviously money isn't much help in Tymon though!

Orwell shopping centre is just a couple of minutes from Tymon, and at the other end there's a petrol station just outside the park (at the turn down to Base2Race)

Tuesday

4 x 1 Mile (Just short of 1 mile actually)

Club Session this evening. 1.6 Miles Warmup @ Easy Pace.

Then it was 4 laps at 10K Pace or thereabouts. The laps are about 0.9 miles and contain a serious enough hill at the end. I was tempted by another rep at the end but then thought maybe more to be gained by being fresher for the rest of the weeks runs as last weeks session left me drained for a few days.

Paces were 7:02/6:58/7:05/7:12

Probably eased up a bit much for the last one.

Finished with a Warm down of just under 1 mile.

Total 6.3 Miles @ 8:02 m/m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

What sort of recovery did you do between the reps ? And do you jog or walk or just hang about ? Have to say I find this sort of session very scary!

• Advertisement

2 mins recovery I think. Just kind of kept moving mostly just catching the breath between reps.

Wednesday

7.4 Miles @ 8:55 m/m

Just kept this one nice and easy. Went out straight after work, still a little light there at 6pm which was nice. Pretty warm evening actually which makes a nice change.

9:21
    9:10
    8:30
    8:25
    8:45
    8:53
    9:17
    (9:04)

HR 149 (80% of Max)

Thursday

Club Session 6.7 Miles @ 8:15 m/m

0.5 Miles @ Easy Pace (8:55)
    2.5 Miles @ Steady/Hard Pace (6:59, 7:16, 7:26)
    8 x 200M with 200M Recovery(5:38/5:49/6:03/6:04/5:52/5:43/6:01/5:57)
    1.8 Miles @ Easy Pace (8:49,9:10)

Club Session, and a change from the last 3 Thursdays, this time a hard 2.5 Mile lap of Terenure followed by some sprints. It was tough but doable, never felt like it was a real struggle to complete any of these.

Actually quite cold tonight but good to get this done, I think it will be good for the 5K and 10K races to come.

Hopefully just a bit of a recovery run for tomorrow.

Friday

6 Miles @ 9.09 m/m

Kept it fairly easy tonight. Nice evening for a run but the strap on the Garmin kept falling off so I had to stop fairly frequently to address that.

9:03/9:13/9:09/9:06/9:18/9:03

HR 146 (78% of max)

Saturday

14 Miles @ 9:21 m/m

Out for a few drinks on Friday night so I wasn't really feeling the love for this run early on. I ended up leaving it until close to 7pm but glad I finally got out.

There was good and bad in this run, parts of it were really enjoyable but I had some issues on the run that meant it was less enjoyable than it might have been.

The wind was crazy strong at times and sometimes it felt as if I was not moving forward at all. There was a while there where a strong wind and driving rain in the face made for a real slog.

I didn't really mid this though. I started to suffer from stomach/GI issues that gradually got worse. I stopped into a petrol station to use the toilet and grab some water but the issues persisted. Around mile 10 I got a real dip in energy levels which made it difficult to continue. I stopped in a shop and bought some Jelly Babies to get me over the hump and struggled through the rest of it, needing to stop occasionally to let the stomach settle.

All the above makes it sound worse than it actually was, it was fairly ok for the most part, but glad its over to be honest.

Still feeling pretty ropey tonight, so I'm a bit 50/50 on tomorrows trail run.

9:20/8:58/8:59/9:21/9:41/9:28/9:09/9:26/9:51/9:28/9:39/9:15/8:55/9:16

HR: 142 (76%)

Just a summary of February for me, main achievement is finally joining a club and of course a new 10K PB in Enniscorthy.

Good mileage also, more than January despite 3 less days. 334 miles more than this time last year. Look to add an additional 400 miles this year to bring me to 2000, so still on track for that.

Runs|24
    Sessions|7
    Long Runs|4
    Races|1
    PB's|1

Month|2013|2014|2015
    January|7|0|191
    Febraury|10|53|196
    March|7|111
    April|26|154
    May|69|121
    June|75|93
    July|67|212
    August|101|233
    September|85|261
    October|4|179
    November|13|28
    December|6|163
    Total|471.2|1606.2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hope you haven't got that weird gastro thingy...although if you have it seems to be short lived so.....up dem woods with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

You forgot to add James Dunne as one of your Feb achievements!

You have really been consistent... Impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

annapr wrote: »
    You forgot to add James Dunne as one of your Feb achievements!

You have really been consistent... Impressive!

Yep .. never mind the running ... It's the JD that is really impressive imo!

• Advertisement

Thanks, yeah the 30 Day challenge was good, but glad it's over, just picking and choosing exercises that I like at the moment.

Sunday

Djouce Trail Run 4.6 Miles @ 12:01

Met up with several boardsies for this one this morning, it was a fun run, despite an early March sighting of snow. Good fun and probably something I'd do again. Coffee and cake afterwards was welcome too!

52.5 Miles for the week.

Advertisement