Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

73.57. Was shooting for sub 75 so happy with that. Significant pb.4 or 5 mins faster I think.

Great race and a beautiful day for it. Faded a bit towards the end, there's a cruel hill 1.5 miles from home.

Delighted to hear of the exploits in Bohermeen today also.

Splits:
    7:08/7:02/7:05/7:19/7:24/7:17/7:21/7:24/7:41/7:34/(6:02)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done Adrian, nice running & great PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

That's a fantastic PB Adrian, well done! Really though, I'm not hugely surprised; you've been putting in the work so are reaping the rewards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Very well done Adrian on the brill PB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great stuff, Adrian... Hard work paying off! You're going to have a great year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nice work! I have some catching up to do :-) Great time and well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Great work Adrian. Good to keep taking chunks off those times like that. Did you run by feel in the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

well done Adrian, thats a super PB, congrats!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks for all the kind messages, I didn't 100% run by feel, but I also didn't pay a huge amount of attention to the watch. back in Dublin now, a lot of driving today so I'm pretty tired now. I'll dream up a race report tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Nice PB - well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done, nice to come away with a PB.

How's the hip

TbL

Thanks TBL, no real issues to be honest, felt it once or twice but it was just a little discomfort rather than painful. For the most part it didn't bother me at all.

Sunday

Ballycotton 10 Mile

Pre-Race

Bit of a strange build up as I had a bit of a niggle and only decided to do this late on. The start time of 1.30pm preceeded by a 3 hour drive brought it's own problems too.

Left Dublin shortly after 9, and was heading into the infamous traffic shortly before 12. Turned out to have enough time and was changed ready to go by 12:30. Finding somewhere to do the warmup was a bit of an issue and according to the map on Strava I resorted to running on water.

Miles 1-3

Positioned myself about 1/3 of the way back. The start was fairly congested and a lot of people were kind barging there way through during the first mile. The crowd didn't thin out until after the 2 mile mark. Good atmosphere going through the village but we were soon in the countryside.

Didn't really pay any attention to the watch until mile 3. Realised the pace was fairly hot and I was due either a big PB or an epic Blowout.

7:09, 7:02, 7:06

Miles 4-7

This is where it started to hurt, there are a few long stretches with not much to take your mind off it. The water stop is at mile 5 so I was focused on that. I was doing my best to pick people off but at the same time didn't want to go too quick at this stage.

Still running by feel but consciously taking a bit off the early pace. I was handed a bottle of water with the cap off, it was hard to drink from, I should probably have just grabbed one of the ones with the sports tops but only got a little water on board before tossing it aside.

The next 2 miles were a bit of a slog, realised I was slowing but also realised there was not much to be done about it.

7:20, 7:24, 7:18, 7:21

Miles 8-10

Now is the time to dig in, a fair few people around me struggling, managed to keep it together fairly well but knowing I wasn't going flat out. About 1.5 miles to go there is a fairly steep hill. I hadn't noticed it on the way out but this took a lot out of me, my HR soared and I needed some form of recovery after that.

Mile 10 and I'm just hanging on really. Not much overtaking going on and being passed by a few people. Road markings for 1KM/800m/600m etc seem to do more harm than good. Good support through the village though and crossed the line in under 74 mins by the Garmin.

7:25, 7:41, 7:35, (6:00)

Finish time was 1:13:57, a solid 5 mins taken off my PB from last August.

Total 10.1 Miles @ 7:19 m/m

No regrets on this one, I left it all out there and am very happy with the result. Maybe went off too fast and paid for it later but I don't think any strategy would have resulted in going much faster.

A 2.5 mile warm down brought me back down and subsequently back up that hill from the end of the race.

Overall a very good race, highly recommended. Probably would have been better to stay down as the drive back was not what I wanted to face into!

14.1 Miles in total for the day and 42.4 Miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Well done Adrian, didn't even know you were running this!

Yeah was 50/50 on it up until Saturday due to a niggle I'd been nursing.

Updated PB's/VDOT table.

Dist|Date|PB|VDOT
    5K|Dec 14|21:09|46.65
    5 Mile|Jan 15|35:43|46.37
    10K|Feb 15|44:39|45.7
    10 Mile|Mar 15|1:13:57|45.8
    Half|Sep 14|1:42:51|43.64
    Mara|Oct 14|3:49:23|40.02

Raheny and Jingle Bells still the best performances.

Enniscorthy???

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Enniscorthy???

Yeah, just updated that now :o

Jayz you had me racking my brains, convinced I was going bonkers :confused: phew :D

• Advertisement

Monday

Rest. I was considering a short recovery run. In the end having cycled in and out of work, I decided to give it a miss. I had a few things to do so it would have been late if I'd gone out so let it be in the end.

Tuesday

Easy/Recovery 7.9 Miles @ 9:25

Headed down to the club even though I'd no intention of doing a session. A fair few from the club raced on Sunday so there was a good group doing an easy run. Topped this up by jogging there and back. Apologies to the OCD crowd for the distance covered.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

You could easily have brought it to 10 miles @ 10:00 :D

Because you didn't, the world will end at noon on Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

x.9 is what all the cool kids are doing these days

Wednesday

4 Miles @ 8:50

4 Miles exactly, no decimal point necessary today. I used to do all my runs like this, stop once I'd hit my target mileage but recently I've gone away from that and look to "finish out" all my runs, which I think helps in races as you still have a bit to go when the Garmin beeps for the mileage of the race. e.g in Ballycotton I covered 10.1 miles according to the GPS.

Anyway, last night I had to meet the folks for dinner at 7.30 so only had time for a short run, took it up around Bushy Park as it was still a little bright.

A few drinks last night means today will be a bit of a struggle but I'll hopefully make it down to the club tonight.

Thursday

Easy/Steady 8.6 Miles @ 8:53

Slight hangover lingering most of the day. Cycled home from work at 6, got home with just enough time to make the cub session, wasnt real excited by the idea, knew if I didn't go I'd probably sit on the couch for the evening. Feck it, gear on, out the door.

Ran up to the club, (this is 1.5 miles each way which adds 3 miles to each session), session was just some steady miles. I decided to take it relatively easy and not push too hard.

Garmin strap broke again on the run, really starting to annoy me now. Going to try and glue the fecker together tonight to see if that will help.

9:28/8:48/9:14/9:02/8:34/8:25/8:33/9:06/(8:42)

Friday

7.4 Miles @ 9:15 m/m

Late getting out for this one. Had dinner around 8, and didn't get put till after 10 but it still didn't seem like it was long enough. Was a bit of a struggle for a while but settled into it after about 3 miles and was fine from there on.

Probably no sleep for a while though!

Saturday

4 Miles with (6 * 20 second Strides)

My usual pre race run, easy miles with some strides thrown in. All good. Fair bit of wind around actually, hopefully it will die down a bit in the next 24 hours.

Probably a bit fast if anything.

4 Miles @ 8:28

It looks a little fast, but not fast enough to take anything out of tomorrow. Would you consider paring the pre-race run back to three miles @ 9m/m pace incl strides? From what I understand, the purpose of this run is literally to just keep the legs ticking over. Personally, I always have a complete rest day in one of the three days prior to a race but understand this doesn't work for everyone.
    Best of best of luck tomorrow! Keep that PB train going :D

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    It looks a little fast, but not fast enough to take anything out of tomorrow. Would you consider paring the pre-race run back to three miles @ 9m/m pace incl strides? From what I understand, the purpose of this run is literally to just keep the legs ticking over. Personally, I always have a complete rest day in one of the three days prior to a race but understand this doesn't work for everyone.
    Best of best of luck tomorrow! Keep that PB train going :D

Thanks, I think 3 miles would be sufficient alright. Hard to monitor the pace too closely, trying to just run without checking the watch all the time but I could certainly slow it down a bit.

PB train? According to McMillan and VDOT tables my 5K pb is the best race performance so far so a PB will be tough but I'll give it a go.

There seems to be a lot turns on the course but hopefully will get a good time anyway.

Advertisement