Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck with the 5k Adrian!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Belated good luck for today. Actually you'll be in already... Hope it went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good job there!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Garmin time gives me a 30 second pb. Splits 6.22/6.38/6.19/1.17 giving 3.22 miles in 20.37.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Garmin time gives me a 30 second pb. Splits 6.22/6.38/6.19/1.17 giving 3.22 miles in 20.37.

Check precision timing, results are up. Fantastic run, you're flying!

• Advertisement

Super stuff! Well done, that's an amazing time. I'll never catch up with you now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Check precision timing, results are up. Fantastic run, you're flying!

20.38 officially.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Super stuff! Well done, that's an amazing time. I'll never catch up with you now

He's catching up on me!! :eek: :pac:

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    He's catching up on me!! :eek: :pac:

Be afraid. Be very afraid ;-)

Ha Ha, no need to be afraid I don't think, and BG, you just need to get out and run a 5K and you wont be too far away.

Good race today, nice setup in the mansion house, but not too sure popcorn is what I'm after upon finishing a race!

Pre Race - 3.6 Miles @ 8:37

On with the back pack and out the door shortly after 10:30. Still feeling the breakfast in my tummy but not worried as the race is not for another 90 mins. Arrived into Dawson street and picked up my number without issue.

Bumped into AMK before hand as well as a few from the club. Lined up close enough to the front but still a few kids and people you were obviously not in shape for a 20 min 5K ahead of me. Lined up to the right expecting most people to bunch to the right to take the first corner.

Started out quickly, not really checking the watch but trying to run relaxed while keeping the pce high but manageable. Not really familiar with the course but feeling ok for the first mile. I sneak a look as the first mile ticks by.

Mile 1: 6:21

Second mile and I'm starting to feel the pace a bit. There's a fair bit of wind out there and lots of twists and turns. My first mile is starting cause me problems as I struggle to hold that pace. A fair few are overtaking me around the 3.5k mark but I'm trying to concentrate on myself and just keeping it relaxed but as fast as possible.

Mile 2: 6:36

Into the last mile and I'm hanging on a bit, still not checking the watch but I feel I should be pushing on here. The power in the legs is just not there and this is as good as it gets apparently. Decide to just hang on for the time being. Passed by a few club mates, one or 2 others too. Just can't hang on.

My feeling was that I was slowing but the splits tell a different story.

Mile 3: 6:18

Coming down by Stephens Green notice that Sub 20 is not happening and a PB is nailed on, not much motivation to go all out. As we turn onto Dawson straight someone shouts out my name, no idea who this is but it helps me push on towards the finish and at least give it all for the finishing straight.

3.22 Miles @ 20:38

Post Race

The result is a 30 second PB, I'm happy with this, delighted as it's not as easy a course as the Jungle Bells 5K. Met AMK and Krusty after the finish, both of whom ran very well. Also met up with a few from the club. A fair few PB's.

Overall I'm happy, checking the splits later my last mile was actually my fastest so probably not much more to give as my HR hit the max during this last mile.

Shout to whoever cheered me on that finishing straight and kudos to MSB for a well organised event.

Finished off with a slow jog home with the back pack on, Garmin strap broke again and then was initially refusing to upload my runs, I've a feeling the Garmin is on the way out.

3 Miles @ 9:13

Happy with my days work, now to put my feet up and have a few beers. Total for the day is 9.8 Miles.

Also Strava is giving me 5k in 19:49 so a sub 20 can't be too far away. Tallaght maybe.

• Advertisement

Great running, Adrian... You'll definitely be sub-20 any day now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Well done man, great result, knocking on the door now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice one A - I'm losing track, weren't you racing last week too? Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Shout to whoever cheered me on that finishing straight.
    You're welcome. ;)

annapr wrote: »
    Great running, Adrian... You'll definitely be sub-20 any day now!!!

Thanks Anna, hopefully get there before the year is out anyway.
    Well done man, great result, knocking on the door now!

Thanks S, hope to see you back in action soon enough too, don't rush it though.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice one A - I'm losing track, weren't you racing last week too? Well done.

Thanks, yeah was in Ballycotton last week. Can't argue with 2 pb's in the space of week.
    You're welcome. ;)

Thanks G, it was appreciated just no idea who it was!

Updated again

Dist|Date|PB|VDOT
    5K|Mar 15|20:38|48.2
    5 Mile|Jan 15|35:43|46.37
    10K|Feb 15|44:39|45.7
    10 Mile|Mar 15|1:13:57|45.8
    Half|Sep 14|1:42:51|43.64
    Mara|Oct 14|3:49:23|40.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well done (again!) Adrian, brilliant 2 pbs in a week!

Firedance wrote: »
    Well done (again!) Adrian, brilliant 2 pbs in a week!

Thanks FD, racing the last 2 weeks but now time to knuckle down to some proper training for a few weeks.

Next race will be K-Club on April 11th.

I have a holiday in the mean time but hopefully I'll get some running in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Nice splits Adrian. Great result today, well done. 30 secs off a 5k is no mean feat.Hopefully see you at the K club . Thinking about doing that one myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Some pretty great pbs being run recently A. Me thinks you have a little natural ability for this running lark!
    Excited to see what times you'll be running over the coming months!
    Well done and keep it up!

• Advertisement

Thanks A, I'm afraid it's about 95% hard work and 5% ability though!

Monday

4 Miles Recovery @ 9:28

Just some recovery miles Monday, still feeling the effects of the race effort on Sunday so kept it very slow.

Tuesday

7 Miles Easy @ 8:49

Woke up with hangover today, but had to get the run in early for a variety of reasons, so out the door and up to Tymon. Kept it fairly easy throughout and knocked out 7 miles without too much hassle.

For the rest of the week I'm thinking a easy tomorrow, session Thursday and maybe a long run on the weekend.

Monday

4 Miles Recovery @ 9:28

Just some recovery miles Monday, still feeling the effects of the race effort on Sunday so kept it very slow.

Tuesday

7 Miles Easy @ 8:49

Woke up with hangover today, but had to get the run in early for a variety of reasons, so out the door and up to Tymon. Kept it fairly easy throughout and knocked out 7 miles without too much hassle.

For the rest of the week I'm thinking a easy tomorrow, session Thursday and maybe a long run on the weekend.

What, recovery miles give you a hangover? ;)

annapr wrote: »
    What, recovery miles give you a hangover? ;)

Certainly felt like that, I did 4 Recovery miles. Went out for dinner, next thing I remember it's 10:30, I'm severely dehydrated and I've missed the club training session.

Thanks A, I'm afraid it's about 95% hard work and 5% ability though!

Perhaps you have a bit of talent/ability for hard work?! :) either way, you're flying!

Thanks, I've certainly enjoyed the training the last few months, it's my first time training through the winter really. I've been pretty good about getting the miles in. Usually 2 sessions per week and a medium-long run on the weekend.

I see the recent races as a little reward for all the training over the last wile.

I hope to carry this through another few months and ultimately carry on a good base into marathon training which will begin in earnest in the summer.

A few from the club are also running Berlin so we hope to get a training group started from June.

The plan for the first half of the year was to concentrate on the shorter stuff and I think I've improved all my times from 5K to 10 mile now so happy with that.

Main races coming up will be the K-Club 10K, Tallaght 5K and maybe the sportsworld 5 mile also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

You're doing great milage Adrian. No wonder you're getting all those pb's. Fair play to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done on the PB Sunday, i'll hopefully see you in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

A belated well done on the 5k PB! A very good time off a tough 10 mile race the week before...

• Advertisement

Wednesday

6.2 Miles @ 8:47

A run tonight that was a bit more on the steady side of easy!

Strange running week with no session in Tuesday and trying to take it easy until tomorrow, when there will be a session and maybe another in Saturday.

I'm away for a week from next Tuesday so trying to get some quality in now before I go.

Advertisement