Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thursday - Club Session

14 x (1 Min Hard, 1 Min Easy)

Ah this old session again. I think it's a good session. The coach kind of scared me by suggesting we should do "3 to 4" laps of this (what we actually did was 2 laps)

I din't think I'd have had another lap in me and was glad to see everyone calling it a day after lap 2.

Good session though. Nice running a session like this with the club as you settle into a group probably a bit faster than you are and it brings you on a bit.

Paces were as follows:

6:46/6:19/6:55/6:19/6:45/6:21/6:15/6:52/6:18/7:28/6:25/7:54/6:52/6:26

Most were ok but 1 or 2 very slow for whatever reason.

Totals 6.38 @ 8.10 m/m

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Friday

6 Miles @ 8:28 m/m

Just some miles in at lunchtime. Supposed to be taking it easy but it kind of got away from me a little bit early on but then slowed it down a good bit. Anyway, good to get the run out of the way early. Good weather, shorts and T-shirt for the first time in a long time for me.

8:09/8:12/8:22/8:39/8:38/8:41

Saturday

Club Session 2 x (4x400m) with 1 min Recovery and 3 mins between sets.

Start with 2.65 Miles warm up with some strides then into the 400's

1:36/1:37/1:38/1:39
    1:35/1:37/1:37/1:38

There was an option of another set, but I elected not to exercise that option. No one else in my group did the 3rd set, the faster group did but I think I'd enough done at that stage.

Finish with a cooldown of 1.65 Miles

Good session this and an excellent morning for running. Don't normally go to the Saturday session but they'll be down at the Tallaght track from now on so I may need to start going to these.

Total 7.5 Miles @ 8:17

Sunday

14.1 Miles @ 8:54 m/m

Beautiful day for it down in Kilkenny, headed in around the Castle Park for a couple of laps before going around the ring road and finishing up along the river.

Was surprisingly ok, got through it without too much drama.

51.2 Miles for the week and the runstreak is up to 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great running Adrian but be kind to the ol leggies now for a few days. A 400 session ideally needs a recovery day to maximise adaptations/benefits.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a strange one, the club seems to run a session on Saturday morning followed by a long run on Sunday. Currently their long run isn't as long as I've been going but still.

They have track sessions scheduled from this week every Saturday morning so not sure what to make of that.

I didn't do a session last Tuesday so I went this week but not sure I could make it a regular thing.

Anyway...

Monday

5.1 Miles @ 9:03 m/m

Nothing too crazy here just wanted to get some very easy miles in at lunch today. Weather was a bit crazy, overcast, then heavy shower, then sunshine all in the space of about 45 mins.

Hoping to get some hill sprints done in the morning, heading away for a week tomorrow afternoon so would be nice to get a session in before I go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Happy hols Adrian :) Anywhere nice? Enjoy anyway...

Thanks, Off to Barcelona and Girona and maybe Tarragona too depending on how things work out.

Got my Tuesday session out of the way this morning which is nice.

Tuesday

Morning Hill Sprints in Tymon

2.6M Miles Easy
    8 x 60 Seconds Hill Sprints with about 3 mins recovery
    2.2 Miles Easy

Total 7.1 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, Off to Barcelona and Girona and maybe Tarragona too depending on how things work out.
    [/B]

Enjoy.

Wednesday

7.01 Miles @ 9:24 m/m

Got in some running today which I'm impressed with given I had less than 4 hours sleep last night. Mainly at slow to very slow pace though did pick it up a bit towards the end.

I'm in Girona, nice part of the world but I really should put some research into my routes before I set off. Getting lost is half the fun I guess, but I was surprised at just how quickly I found myself in the middle of nowhere. Early night tonight. I hope.

9:36/9:33/9:30/9:07/9:11/9:31/9:15

• Advertisement

Thursday

13.6 Miles @ 10:22

I headed up into the mountains above Girona today. I'd hoped to stretch the run out beyond 7 miles to maybe 8 or 9. To the surprise of no one I got somewhat lost and after an hour of running I still hadn't found the trail I'd intended to run in. However just as I'd decided to head back I stumbled across it and stubbornness got the better of me so off I went up the mountain again.

It was pitifully slow at times but you get that in the mountains. Anyway, it was pretty spectacular and the views at the top were worth the extended route.

The Garmin read 13.6 by the end but I think when I get this onto strava it will be higher as there was a while with timer off that wasn't included.

Hopefully get this uploaded in the next few days to see just how mad the route was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

I headed up into the mountains above Girona today.

Lucky you, I'd say it was fab. I love exploring new routes on holidays but it's so easy to get lost. I've done my fair share of extra miles as a result!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Thursday

13.6 Miles @ 10:22

I headed up into the mountains above Girona today.

Jealous :-) keep the updates coming tho so we can run vicariously through you!

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Lucky you, I'd say it was fab. I love exploring new routes on holidays but it's so easy to get lost. I've done my fair share of extra miles as a result!
    Firedance wrote: »
    Jealous :-) keep the updates coming tho so we can run vicariously through you!

Yeah was good today, pretty sunny but not too hot, about 15 degrees. Perfect running weather as far as I'm concerned.

Friday

6 Miles easy ish.

A few easy/recovery miles today. Don't have the Garmin to hand but it was very start stop, stopping at traffic lights a lot. Eventually hit the beach and all was ok then. Logged 6 Miles in total.

Warmer today, pushing 20 degrees I think.

Saturday

7.25 miles @ around 8.40 pace I think

Went a bit longer today. Up diagonal towards the university. There'a a nice park up there too to run around. Still nothing too strenous. Still feeling the effects of Thursday a little bit.

Thinking of doing something with a little more quality tomorrow. All good so far, weather is a little warmer now too so waited till after 5 to head out. Also had no interest in running with a hangover today.

Sunday

6 x 0.5 miles off 90 seconds recovery

Nice run today. Up the near the 1992 olympic stadium but the feckers wouldn't let me use their track. There was a park nearby that was suitable though.

Wasn't as hot today and a nice breeze was welcome.

2.84 miles @ Easy pace
    6 x 0.5 miles between 3 and 3.10 per rep
    3.01/3.05/3.08/3.10/3.06/3.03
    1 mile cool down @ Easy pace

Total 7.17 miles.

Total for the week is 52 Miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

That's great mileage for a holiday week! Can't believe they wouldn't let you do a lap of the track ;)

Lol, I wasn't really expecting them to open up the stadium for me, the warm-up track was locked too. A lot of great athletics facilities closed today.

Monday

7.5 miles @ 9.10 m/m

Last day here, kept it fairly easy as a result of yesterdays exertions and also from not getting to bed until most people would be getting up.

Down by the beach again, nice run but not as sunny as recently.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Club Session

4 x (800M Hard/200M Easy/600M Hard) with 90 Seconds Recovery

I could probably have done without this session to be honest, not much sleep, hangover and not much in the way of proper food today either.

It was also quite similar to what I did on Sunday. Anyway I just kind of cruised through it and was happy to get it done, but I wasn't exactly bursting a gut to get consistent splits or anything.

3:05/2:41
    3:13/2:36
    3:13/2:40
    3:12/2:37

Solid months training in March, 2 PB's in Ballycotton and in the St patricks Festival 5k.

Runstreak up to 22 days now!

Mileage wise I'm probably doing more than I thought I would be but the body seems to be standing up to the 45/50 Mile weeks, which is good I guess.

Little to nothing done in the area of strength work though.

Runs|29
    Sessions|7
    Long Runs|2
    Races|2
    PB's|2

Month|2013|2014|2015
    January|7|0|191
    Febraury|10|53|196
    March|7|111|207.9
    April|26|154
    May|69|121
    June|75|93
    July|67|212
    August|101|233
    September|85|261
    October|4|179
    November|13|28
    December|6|163
    Total|471.2|1606.2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

207.9... Yaay, welcome to the club... And be prepared for the onslaught :pac:

Seriously impressive mileage... And 2 PB's, good month for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

that's brilliant Adrain, well done you, lots of hard work going on and paying off with the PB's

Thanks FD and Anna!

Anyway, a little catching up to do...

I've been having a little trouble with the bike, keep getting punctures in the back tyre. Including straight after training in the rain last night. This was my third day in a row getting one, and it really annoyed me because I was cold and wet and just wanted to get home but then I'd to walk home, then wait for the water to heat up. Anyway I think I've it sorted now, found a rogue piece of glass almost invisible, hopefully that will clear things up now.

Wednesday was a rest day, enforced by family stuff I had to do, but didn't know about until after I'd left for work so didn't have any gear to squeeze something in at lunchtime. So the run streak ends at 22.

Thursday

Club Session

Warm up @ Easy Pace

2 x (15 Mins Fast/6 Mins Easy)

This was tough, very tough in fact. I was feeling a bit of tightness in the hamstring glut area so slowed down on the second one, hope it's nothing to worry about. Paces for the 15 min sections were about 7:04 and 7:26.

Total 6.4 Miles

Friday

Howth Trail Run

Meet up with a big gang of fellow boardsies for a very nice run this morning, think there were 12 or so of us in total. Really nice views along the coast and over shielmartin also. Total for this was about 7.4 Miles and just short of 90 mins.

Great run to break up the usual training routine.

Saturday

Club Track Session

Rolled up to Tallaght's track this morning in a pair of Lunarracers, don't get enough use out of them so decided to use them for this.

Start with a warmup and some strides

6 x (400 Sprint/200 Recovery jog/200 Sprint) with 60-90 secs recovery.

Finish with a few laps cooldown.

Nice session this, having never run a track before I was looking forward to this. As always the session sounded easier than it sounded. The second half of the 400 was always a bit of a struggle, then a half lap recovery then a flat out 200.

I ended up in one of the faster groups and struggled to keep up with them, but am happy with my morning's work. Also running on the track is a lot easier than doing intervals in a park!

Paces were as follows

Rep|400|200
    1.|86|40
    2.|85|43
    3.|86|42
    4.|86|43
    5.|88|44
    6.|90|42

Total 4.7 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

As always the session sounded easier than it sounded.

Hate those one's that sound easier than they sound.......:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Hate those one's that sound easier than they sound.......:p:p

Yeah they all sound the same after a while ;)

I'll just go back and edit my post and make you both sound stupid

• Advertisement

Sunday

31.2 Miles

Relax, it was a cycle not a run, no way I'm putting together a 30+ mile run.

I've been feeling a little niggle lately in my right ankle/achilles area which flared up slightly after yesterday's track session.

Knowing how nasty these issues can be I decided to skip todays long run and head out on the newish bike instead. My first proper spin on the bike and out towards Howth for the second time this weekend.

Very enjoyably ride, and topped off with a bowl of Chowder and a coffee at Howth market.

Don't worry, I'm not about to jump over to the other side and I'll be back running as soon as I feel it's safe to do so.

Advertisement