Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Garmin connect and Strava both say 42:00, but offically its 42:08. Really splitting hairs among all those though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Super result and well deserved ! So so glad I didn't attempt to follow you, I'd have been in the St.John's Ambulance missing all the food :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Wow Adrian, very well done, that is some result! Sorry didnt get to meet you, next time for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! Was good to put a face to the name even though I didn't actually talk to you!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done! Was good to put a face to the name even though I didn't actually talk to you!

No worries, I kind of wandered away to talk to clubmates and you'd gone by the time I came back. Next time for sure!

Well done today too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Congrats. Superb run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running, sub 20 mins 5k no bother now in Tallaght 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Gosh that's fast. Congratulations!

BHAA 10K @ The K-club

Previous PB: 44:34 (Enniscorthy)
    A- Target: Sub - 42:00
    B-Target: Low 42:xx

Pre Race

Arrived down to the K-Club feeling fairly nervous which is unusual for me but this is a goal race and I had tapered during the week. Bumped into Aquinn and Bungy Girl, wasn't exactly full of chat at this stage so headed out for a warm up after collecting my number. Actually left my number in the club house so had to double back for that. Ran out a bit on the course and noticed the wind was fairly strong, probably going to be a bit of an issue before the day is out.

Back to base, on with the flats and up to the start. Met AMK and Career Move at the start line. Boardsies out in force.

Miles 1-2

Started out well, not really focused on the watch just focused on my breathing and trying to stay relaxed for the first part of the race. After the roundabout a group of about 10-12 runners had formed and I attached myself to that. They seemed to be going at about my pace so that suited. As we headed for the first loop the group began to break up but there was still a few to offer protection from the wind.

The watch beeped for the first mile, 6:34. Surprised it was that fast but not so fast that I needed to worry about anything. All the same it was worth hanging with the few runners around me rather than pushing on at this stage.

We started onto the loop (which we go around twice) the wind was quite bad here but I was still relatively ok as the second mile ticked by in 6:55. This was slower than I was expecting but overall I remember thinking I was on track. (6:34/6:55)

Miles 3-4

After we turned the corner to begin mile 3 you could really notice the wind was less of a factor so I picked up the pace a bit. There was a guy in a Grant Thornton T-shirt a little ahead and a runner in a club singlet (MSAC or something).Just tried to hang on to those. I was suffering a little bit at this stage and remember thinking that sub 42 probably wasn't happening so maybe I should ease off. Putting those thoughts out of my mind I tried to dig a bit deeper and was happy enough when Mile 3 came in at 6:45.

We then started onto the second loop and the same wind from mile 2. Again I'm just hanging on to the Grant thronton guy whos a bit ahead and the club runner who is right in front of me. As we reach the end of that section and turn out of the wind again the watch beeps and shows 7:06. Feck, that 7 really freaked me and I put on a bit of a spurt, more negative thoughts but I consoled myself with thoughts that a PB was surely on and tring to get as much out of it as I could. (6:45/7:06)

Miles 5- 6.2

I really picked up the effort levels here, leaving the club runner but Grant Thornton is still out ahead. The second time around the loop you always think it's shorter than it actually is. Each section seems to drag on. I skipped the water stop and was trying my best to make up for mile 4. Mile 5 ticks by in 6:46 which is more or less target pace but not much time made up. Surely I'm looking at closer to 43 than to 42 at this stage.

At this stage we exit the loop and head back towards the K-club, this seems to give everyone a lift as the pace picks up. Some can hold it and some can't a few fly past me but are overtaken again soon after. I hang on to one guy who has just overtaken me and dig as deep as I can on this section.

After what seems like an eternity we hang a left into the K-club as Mile 6 ticks by in 6:42 and I overtake my target not sure if this will be temporary or not. The run up to the finish is tough, very tough. The wind is strong and it is slightly uphill.

A good shout of encouragement from the sidelines spurs me on ("Pump your arms") I do and this seems to help. The runner I'd been tracking all along in the grant Thornton T-shirt is ahead, struggling a little, I find the energy from somewhere to sprint past him and over the line.

The Garmin reads 41:59.6. I'm a little surprised but realise my Gun time will add a bit to that as I only started it crossing the start line. AMK is right there to offer me a bottle of water which was very much appreciated. (6:46/6:42/1:08)

Post Race:

I headed back out the course straight away for 2 cool down miles and then back up to the clubhouse. Bumped into many boardsies and club mates and it was good to catch up and exchange war stories. Some great running and a fair few PB's.

Overall I love this race, the atmosphere is fantastic and the course is very fair. Now if only they had a timing mat at the start.

Result:

Officially 42:08 (172nd and 40th M35)
    Garmin giving 6.17 Miles in 42:00

So there you go, still 8 seconds to find to meet my preseason target, hopefully run 1 or 2 10K's before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Jaysus Adrian, that's some running! Fantastic, that breakthrough is...breaking through :D GARMIN connect and Strava = 42:00? ...the OCD in me is saying take that and run with it :) Really a shame that there is no starting mat, looks like ye all need to drop an email to the organisers...
    That season target is there for the taking, I hope 40:xx is the revised season target?!
    Well done today.

• Advertisement

To be honest I'm not sure if I'll target another 10K, maybe do one in the marathon build up but it would be without much speedwork and without a taper.

I make try for the race series 10K out in Swords or something like that.

Still have a 5k and 5 mile to target though. (20 mins and 35 mins respectively)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

If you do 20 mins for 5k (and you will), you need to harden up that 5m target :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

adrian522 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not sure if I'll target another 10K, maybe do one in the marathon build up but it would be without much speedwork and without a taper.

I make try for the race series 10K out in Swords or something like that.

Still have a 5k and 5 mile to target though. (20 mins and 35 mins respectively)

Haha, you ran through the 5m mark today in about 34 minutes, so less of the sandbagging :pac:

I can't recommend the Dunshaughlin 10k enough. It's on 20th June this year and is the best race in Leinster IMO.
    As for the really fast 5k i was telling you about earlier The details are here:
    https://www.facebook.com/BobHeffernan5kRoadRace
    fastest 5k in the country I tell ya, Jingle bells does not have a patch on it.

Ok I'll stick those in calendar for consideration. Wasn't really thinking on the 5 mile target, ran 35:43 in Raheny but I guess I've improved fitness since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    If you do 20 mins for 5k (and you will), you need to harden up that 5m target :D

I think both those targets are soft because they are also my targets for this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good running Adrian!! Well done.

RedRunner wrote: »
    I think both those targets are soft because they are also my targets for this year!

Yeah, possibly but they are from the start of the year when I doing my usual thing of picking nice round numbers at random...in fairness they both reprsent significant improvement from last year.

2 other very pleasing things about today...

This day last year BHAA 10K in 52:33- over 10 mins improvement.

Also 10 consecutive PB's now. Irish runner 5 mile last June was the last race I didn't PB in (Not counting a Christmas jaunt around the Kilkenny Parkrun course in 24 mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Yeah, possibly but they are from the start of the year when I doing my usual thing of picking nice round numbers at random...in fairness they both reprsent significant improvement from last year.

2 other very pleasing things about today...

This day last year BHAA 10K in 52:33- over 10 mins improvement.

Also 10 consecutive PB's now. Irish runner 5 mile last June was the last race I didn't PB in (Not counting a Christmas jaunt around the Kilkenny Parkrun course in 24 mins).

That's super improvement alright. Just shows what you can achieve with consistency in training. I think that has been key for you

Definitely yeah, getting back to it after DCM and building on that fitness rather than taking months off as I would have done the previous year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Brilliant Adrian, well done. Delighted for you, some time and 10 consecutive PB's, must get back to reading your log!
    Well done and great to see you again.

• Advertisement

Thanks, time to get stuck into training again now though. Did nothing yesterday at all, not even a bit of cycling.

Parents are up tomorrow so will be difficult to get anything done then, maybe straight after work or something. All easy runs until Thursday I think.

Hopefully will run Tallaght 5K as my next race, looking at starting an 18 Week marathon plan around the end of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Thanks, time to get stuck into training again now though. Did nothing yesterday at all, not even a bit of cycling.

Parents are up tomorrow so will be difficult to get anything done then, maybe straight after work or something. All easy runs until Thursday I think.

Hopefully will run Tallaght 5K as my next race, looking at starting an 18 Week marathon plan around the end of May.

Jeez, Adrian, I think you earned the right to do nothing yesterday!!!

just catching up on your race report, really impressed at the work you have been doing and the way it's paying off. Fair play to you. That sub-20 5k is yours for the taking.

Monday

7.3 Miles @ 8:29 m/m

Felt pretty good on this run for the most part. Seems like a long time since I've done a few easy runs around my usual routes near the house.

Hopefully more of the same for the next few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great time on Sat, Adrian - well done.

Tuesday

5.9 Miles @ 8:33 m/m

This is a loop I do quite often. It always ends up at just short of 6 miles but I usually add on a little bit to appease the running Gods. This lunchtime however I was under pressure for time, had to stop into Ranelagh to pick up stuff for dinner and buy coffee and run with the backpack for the last bit, anyway didn't have time for any rounding up to 6 miles. Good run though.

Wednesday

5 Miles @ 9:15 m/m

Had a bad day in the sense that I was up too late and had too many drinks and was then late for work and I seemed to be a bit behind with everything I was doing. Got out to UCD to get this done. The route isn't quite long enough to get 5 miles so needed to double up on bits of it to get the required miles in. It's a nice route though takes you around the perimeter of UCD. You also get to see the complete and utter mess that was the UCD running track, half of it is a temporary car park, the other half is neglected, just has debris and construction materials all over it. Remind me again why they destroyed it? Would be so handy to have there if it was still operational.

After nothing but easy miles since Saturday it's back out to the club tomorrow night.

Thursday

Club Session

Well, TBL's post has put a bit of a dampener on things, but anyway. Session tonight and the first bit of pace since Saturday. The session was as follows:

1 Mile Warmup
    2 x 20 Mins Hard with 4 mins recovery
    0.5 Miles Cool Down

Total 7.2 Miles.

Paces for the 20 min sections were:

2.6 Miles @ 7:35
    2.5 Miles @ 7:46

This was a nice little blowout and a good session. It was a bit tough to hang on for the 20 mins. We did a similar session 2 weeks ago but that was 2 x 15 mins with 6 mins recovery so this was bit step up from that. Got through it though and happy with how it went. Paces aren't great but it is over some challenging terrain.

Friday

4 Miles @ 9:09 m/m

Well I can't clam this as a particularly pleasant or successful run. I get these from time to time but no energy and just a general feeling of weakness about 2 and a half miles in. I called it a day at 4 miles so I'll just write it off as one of those days.

Few niggles still annoying me, may need a trip to the physio, occupational hazard I guess.

Saturday

Club Track Session

4 x 200m
    2 x 400m
    1 x 800m
    2 x 400m
    4 x 200m

with 60 seconds recovery between the 200s and 90 seconds recovery for the 400's and 800.

This was a tough session, 9am on Saturday morning the body is not used to fast running, or any running usually. It's the sort of session I could never manage by myself. I stuck with the faster group but was hanging on the back of them a lot. This was a bit of an issue as the recovery was a bit shorter for me than for anyone else.

Anyway I'm happy with how these went, they were tough and there was a strong wind but I'm happy to get through them. Half way through the 800 I was thinking how the hell do I manage another lap at this pace, but I got through it all the same.

The times and distances are below.

Dist|Time
    200m|0:39
    200m|0:40
    400m|1:22
    400m|1:23
    800m|3:05
    400m|1:28
    400m|1:27
    200m|0:43
    200m|0:42
    200m|0:41

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Saturday

Club Track Session

4 x 200m
    2 x 400m
    1 x 800m
    2 x 400m
    4 x 200m

with 60 seconds recovery between the 200s and 90 seconds recovery for the 400's and 800.

This was a tough session, 9am on Saturday morning the body is not used to fast running, or any running usually. It's the sort of session I could never manage by myself. I stuck with the faster group but was hanging on the back of them a lot. This was a bit of an issue as the recovery was a bit shorter for me than for anyone else.

Anyway I'm happy with how these went, they were tough and there was a strong wind but I'm happy to get through them. Half way through the 800 I was thinking how the hell do I manage another lap at this pace, but I got through it all the same.

The times and distances are below.

Dist|Time
    400m|1:22
    400m|1:23
    800m|3:05
    400m|1:28
    400m|1:27
    200m|0:43
    200m|0:42
    200m|0:41

Nice session.

Did you hit the first 400's too hard?

Are you given pace guidance for the reps?

TbL

• Advertisement

Not sure really on the target paces, think it was supposed to be 32-40 seconds for the 200 and 65 - 70 for the 400, but I was just about hanging on for most of these.

Potentially went too hard on the first set of 400's however when everyone else is ahead of you he tendency is to try and keep up with the group as much as possible.

Advertisement