Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

tang1 wrote: »
    Staying up for the Draft?

Yeah, going to try and get some sleep first and then get up for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The 5k in enfield is an absolute cracker Adrian, I am sure you will go sub 20 there if you don't on Sunday.
    I trained for Berlin and did P&D too, I remember doing the lakelands 10k as my last race, have you looked at that? Normally it's 2 weeks out and it's a cracker!! If no there is always the Simon 5 mile too....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Nice start to the year Adrian, the PBs are the proof of the pudding ;) You've also been really consistent. Are you planning a full 18 week marathon plan or do you feel you can use banked work from last year to shorten the plan by a few weeks? And I may have missed it, but what time are you targeting? (You have definitely got sub 3:30, 3:20 in you...)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

menoscemo wrote: »
    The 5k in enfield is an absolute cracker Adrian, I am sure you will go sub 20 there if you don't on Sunday.
    I trained for Berlin and did P&D too, I remember doing the lakelands 10k as my last race, have you looked at that? Normally it's 2 weeks out and it's a cracker!! If no there is always the Simon 5 mile too....

Yep, looking forward to Enfield as a bit of a consolation for not running the Sportsworld 5 Mile.

Is that the Lakes 10K in Blessington? That's on 3 weeks out from Berlin this year. I'm sure there will be some 10K on the following weekend though.

It would be easier if Berlin was a week earlier. The plan calls for a 10k-10 mile on week 12 and 14 and a 10k on week 16.

The FD 10 mile is week 13 so I might rearrange things to use that instead of week 14. The following week is the Tullamore half so I may use that for the second race.

For the weekend 2 weeks out I don''t see anything but there may be a BHAA race that Friday that would work.

There are no races in the plan during June or July so that will be a bit of a change for me.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Nice start to the year Adrian, the PBs are the proof of the pudding ;) You've also been really consistent. Are you planning a full 18 week marathon plan or do you feel you can use banked work from last year to shorten the plan by a few weeks? And I may have missed it, but what time are you targeting? (You have definitely got sub 3:30, 3:20 in you...)

Thanks A, yes I was planning the full 18 week plan, but open to suggestions on that too. I'm not sure I have the experience to be chopping and changing it too much without some guidance from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Target? I was thinking 3:30, but it will depend on how training goes, which is kind of why I'd like to run a half in the buildup somewhere. I'm not sure how aggressive I'd be willing to go on a target but 3:30 would make me happy as of right now. Sub 3:15 would get me into Boston/London as an over 40 runner but that may be a bit beyond me for this cycle, not sure yet.

Yeah, just thought I'd throw it out there, I wouldn't advise you one way or another that's for sure. My clubmate is following a 12 week plan because she peaked too early last year. She probably has more marathons than you under her belt. Krusty might be the man to ask?
    I suppose the advantage of an 18 week plan is 'wiggle room' ie that you can adjust upgrade your target half way through if you need. Anyway looking forward to seeing how it all goes, let the PB train chug on :D

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've been firing questions at everyone I know who has done that plan to see how it went and what the strengths and weaknesses are! I'll give KC a shout too I think.

Friday

6 Miles @ 8:28 m/m

Got out at lunchtime for todays run. It went well, a route I'm familiar with. Strong enough wind, but felt I'd plenty of energy for the most part. May even have been a bit too quick but I won't complain about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Jets got some bargain last night, no way i seen Leonard Williams falling to 6. Scary defence there now.

Yep, great value, I'd have thought about taking him at number 1 to be honest!

Saturday

3 Miles with 6 x 20 Second Strides

My usual day before a race run. 3 Miles including 6 x 20 second strides.

Ended up going for a few beers last night, not great prep but some rehydration today should see me right.

• Advertisement

Best of luck in the morning, pissed i wont be joining ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Thought you were on the tear there for a while until I read it again :)

Thanks, Sorry to hear you won't make it but you need to be careful with these injuries!

Best of luck tomorrow Adrian, the weather is improving so fingers crossed that won't hamper a great race. Looking forward to hearing how you get on!

Thanks, weather not looking great, confident of a PB, not so much for a sub 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, weather not looking great, confident of a PB, not so much for a sub 20.

fingers crossed, Adrian and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck !! Hope the weather plays ball and you get the best possible PB :D

I'm out for today :( Abs not up to scratch for racing so I'm being sensible so I can give Terenure a decent shot.

Looking forward to the report!

annapr wrote: »
    fingers crossed, Adrian and best of luck!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Best of luck !! Hope the weather plays ball and you get the best possible PB :D

I'm out for today :( Abs not up to scratch for racing so I'm being sensible so I can give Terenure a decent shot.

Looking forward to the report!

Thanks guy's, weather looks good at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Good luck Adrian!

Nice running, well done. It'll come in Enfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Nice running, well done. It'll come in Enfield.

????

never mind, looked it up myself... 20:11??? brilliant time, really well done!!! you are so close to the sub-20!!!

annapr wrote: »
    ????

I'll let the man tell ye himself, not going to rain on his parade, check precision timing results are up.

PB but no sub 20, ran hard it just wasn't there . Bleed a lot of time on the last mile.

Pre Race

Arrived early, grabbed my number with a minimum of fuss and headed out for a jog around the course to see what lay ahead.

Back up to the clubhouse which was now mobbed and got included on the team for the novice championships.

Out to the track for a few strides. Met Meno on the way up to the start line, he advised to keep something in reserve for the last Km or so and not to arrive at the top of the hill already wiped out, more of that anon.

Race

First mile is fast, very fast. Downhill into the village and hang a left. Passed a fair few here, saw a clubmate up ahead, caught up with him, then pushed on.

This was a recurring theme, catching targets, intending to run with them but pushing on. Mile 1 ticked by in 6:11. This is either going to go very well or very badly.

I knew I wasn't going to keep that pace up so eased off a little. We headed up to the left with Tymon on the right, pretty flat here before it begins to climb a little as we head back towards Greenhills road. I was trying to keep the pace honest and run relaxed but I was needing to work hard. Passed 3K and into the second half of the race. The second mile ticked off in 6:26. I was happy to see this, I knew that was right around target pace but the toughest part was yet to come.

We turned left on Greenhills Road and uphill, I knew this was coming and I wanted to keep something in reserve but this section was tough. I tucked in behind another runner and tried to dig deep. The pace was slowing but that was to be expected. We hit the top of the hill and I try to put the foot down. I take off but a few hundred meters later I realise it's too soon for that and I need to slow it down again. We are in the last Km, I catch up with a runner up ahead but I don't have it to go past him. He's not really moving quick enough but I just sit in behind. Mile 3 is a very slow 6:58

Once we hit the track I go past him but too late now. Check the watch, I'll need a sub 40 200m to break 20 mins, realise it's not happening. There's good support out on the track so I push on as much as possible. As I hit the 100m to go I can see the clock in the distance ticking towards 20 mins, it's not there but I push on to finish in 20:11.

Post Race

Good PB, bad pacing but a good learning experience.

In the MSB race I had a slow second mile, my "Garmin 5k" that day was 19:59. Today the Garmin measured exactly 5K for the route so not sure I ran any better today than in March.

Anyway, happy with the PB and good to meet a few off here before and afterwards.

Thoughts immediately turned to Enfield. Mind is made up now, one more 5K before hitting the marathon training.

Total - 3.1 Miles in 20:11. (6:11, 6:26, 6:58, (6:08))

Finished with a 4 mile cool down/Recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

This is either going to go very well or very badly.

Lol'd at this, would be a great log title :D

Well done on the PB, tantalisingly close to the sub-20 but you'll get it in Enfield for sure. Will that be your first entry on 'The Table' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice racing, Adrian. You'll get those extra few seconds soon enough. Sounds like a tough enough course so well done.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Lol'd at this, would be a great log title :D

Well done on the PB, tantalisingly close to the sub-20 but you'll get it in Enfield for sure. Will that be your first entry on 'The Table' ?

Thanks, it would be if I get it yeah. Don't want to speak too soon though.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice racing, Adrian. You'll get those extra few seconds soon enough. Sounds like a tough enough course so well done.

Thanks D. It's a pretty fair course in fairness, not the best but certainly not the worst. Great run from yourself today too, that will stand to you in June.

Just popping in quickly to say well done yesterday! You're just about there, as you said yourself in your report, pacing probably affected your strength in the last mile so next time Adrian... (Not seeing any evidence of Tunguskan Wand waving? ;) )
    Well done on the PB

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Just popping in quickly to say well done yesterday! You're just about there, as you said yourself in your report, pacing probably affected your strength in the last mile so next time Adrian... (Not seeing any evidence of Tunguskan Wand waving? ;) )
    Well done on the PB

Thanks, yes faded a bit at the end. I'm not sure that wand waving is sufficient for us mere mortals.

I think I've beaten the mcMillan predictions for the 10K time so can't really be too disappointed!

• Advertisement

Thanks, yes faded a bit at the end. I'm not sure that wand waving is sufficient for us mere mortals.

I think I've beaten the mcMillan predictions for the 10K time so can't really be too disappointed!

So yes, no disappointment, you're moving on up consistently...but I have to say, wand waving works at all levels, that's the beauty :) (and I am NOT so old that I can be called immortal if that's what you're implying young pup :mad: ;) )

Advertisement