Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    So yes, no disappointment, you're moving on up consistently...but I have to say, wand waving works at all levels, that's the beauty :) (and I am NOT so old that I can be called immortal if that's what you're implying young pup :mad: ;) )

Thanks,yes I did forget completely to try and localise the source of pain and try and deal with it, could have helped in the end I guess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Monday

Easy/Recovery Pace Run

Left it till the afternoon to head out today. Felt good once I got going but kept the pace very easy for the most part. Up around both sides of Tymon, enjoyable run.

Total 8.8 Miles @ 9:15 m/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on the PB Adrian - Sub 20 in Enfield it is so.

Tuesday - Club Run

Steady/Tempo Run

Decided to run to and from training this evening, thus adding nearly 3 miles to the total. I like to do this as it gives you a good warmup/cool down. it can backfire if the session is particularly long, you could end up with over 10 miles.

Anyway tonight was just a steady/tempo run given a lot of people were racing over the weekend, so no session as such.

I tried to keep it closer to steady than tempo pace, felt comfortable throughout.

Total 8.2 Miles

9:27/8:19/7:55/7:38/7:18/7:31/7:52/9:19/(9:45)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sunday: hard race
    +48 hours: 17 miles..... Thought you weren't starting the marathon cycle for another few week :pac: ;)

• Advertisement

Sunday: hard race
    +48 hours: 17 miles..... Thought you weren't starting the marathon cycle for another few week :pac: ;)

Yeah I know, I'd like to start building miles at this stage though to the point of consistently hitting 45-50 MPW.

Do you think there was too much mileage? Mondays was very easy effort btw but maybe too much?

I really don't know Adrian. On one hand I hear 'recovery/rest is where you make the adaptations' but on the other hand, I am coming across the concept of easy long runs the day after a hard session or race. Your effort was easy so it can't have been harmful. I suppose it depends what you have planned for the rest of the week too.
    I think it was on Dublin Runner's log that I noticed there is a different approach to training for a marathon (you generally seem to run on tired legs practically all the time) and shorter distances (you have to be nearly 100% fresh for the key two quality sessions and lsr and anything in between is rest/recovery).
    Anyone else?

Yeah, I hear you on the recovery/rest.

For reference the first week of the marathon plan has this:

m: 9 miles (with 4 @ Tempo)
    t: 11 Miles
    w: 5 miles @ Recovery
    t: 9 Miles
    f: 5 Recovery
    s: 15 Miles
    su: rest.

And it pretty much ramps up from there, so I'd like to be doing some consistent mileage by the time I start into that.

I think your mileage has been consistently consistent over the last few months :D Sure you know your body better than anyone and I know you are not going to jeopardise your current run of form. But it's worth noting that the recovery runs are five miles.(you're not going to jeopardise anything, are you?! Just caught a glimpse of my inner addict that I suspect lives within us all :eek: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah, I hear you on the recovery/rest.

For reference the first week of the marathon plan has this:

m: 9 miles (with 4 @ Tempo)
    t: 11 Miles
    w: 5 miles @ Recovery
    t: 9 Miles
    f: 5 Recovery
    s: 15 Miles
    su: rest.

And it pretty much ramps up from there, so I'd like to be doing some consistent mileage by the time I start into that.

That's the FIRST week........:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I really don't know Adrian. On one hand I hear 'recovery/rest is where you make the adaptations' but on the other hand, I am coming across the concept of easy long runs the day after a hard session or race. Your effort was easy so it can't have been harmful. I suppose it depends what you have planned for the rest of the week too.
    I think it was on Dublin Runner's log that I noticed there is a different approach to training for a marathon (you generally seem to run on tired legs practically all the time) and shorter distances (you have to be nearly 100% fresh for the key two quality sessions and lsr and anything in between is rest/recovery).
    Anyone else?

IMO Adrian's well used to high-ish mileage so I don't think that's an issue but I don't think doing a tempo 2 days after an all-out race is a great idea. Give the leg muslces a chance to repair and adapt etc... I'd leave at least 3 days after a race for a session personally.

Thanks all. I agree with you, probably too much in the days after a race. I did slow down the run yesterday quite a bit on what I'd normally do on a Tuesday session but still could probably have done with just a few easy pace miles instead.

Plan for the week will be

Wed: 6 Miles easy
    Thu: Club Fartlek Run (about 6-7 Miles total including wU/CD)
    Fri: Off or short easy run
    Sat: Track Session (4-5 Miles total)
    Su: Long run ( not sure How long but 12-15 Miles I think, but depending on how Saturday night goes).

Wednesday

5.2 Miles @ 8:35

As above, I'd intended doing 6 miles but I miscalculated my route home so ended up having to add a bit to bring it to 45 mins, which I was happy enough with.

Initially I was a bit concerned I may have run this too fast but my HR data indicates the effort was indeed easy (75% of HR) so I'm happy enough with that. This was with a back pack on too.

The downside of running home is I'll have to run into work in the morning, no choice in the matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    That's the FIRST week........:eek:

My sentiments exactly! Looks like a challenging plan, Adrian! best of luck with it... you have been smart in your training this year.

annapr wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly! Looks like a challenging plan, Adrian! best of luck with it... you have been smart in your training this year.

I'm sure a few on here would beg to differ that I've been all that smart, probably more leaning towards stupid with some of the sessions I've done without enough rest!

At least if I'm following a plan I can blame the plan for not including enough rest!

Thursday

AM - Run to work - 3.2 Miles @ 8:40
    PM - Club Fartlek - 5.2 Miles @ 8:17

Ran into work this morning, pleasant weather and all downhill!

This evening I went to the club session, which was a Fartlek run. Never knew really where the speed up and recovery points in the lap are so was just following everyone else.

Called it a day after 2 laps of the Fartlek lap, some people did 3 but I felt I had enough done. It was tough but wasn't eyeballs out or anything.

Tomorrow may be a day off or a short recovery run.

Friday - Rest

As above, yesterday was either a rest day or a recovery run. Went with the full rest, the weather helped in that decision, in truth, the rest day is probably the wise decision.

Saturday - Track Session

4 x 200m (1 min Recovery)
    2 x 400m (90 secs Recovery)
    1 x 800m (80 Secs Recovery)
    2 x 400m (90 Secs recovery)
    4 x 200m (1 min Recovery)
    1 x 800m (Full recovery before this one)

Nice session this morning, decent weather a good session. I'd done this session before (without the last 800) and had struggled to get consistent splits. As you can see below the splits are lot more consistent this time. I think I'm finally getting a feel for how the different distances should be be run.

The second 800 was a bit slow but that was a bit of a "bonus" 800, optional, decided to do it but not too worried it was a few seconds slower than the first one. The first one was actually a bit slower because I was a few seconds into it before starting the watch.

Dist|Time
    200|0:40
    200|0:39
    200|0:41
    400|1:26
    400|1:27
    800|3:02
    400|1:27
    400|1:25
    200|0:38
    200|0:38
    800|3:05

Total 4.2 Miles

Go to the top of the class :cool: deadly session, great consistency in the splits. You're a quick learner ;)

Thanks A, happy with it alright!

Sunday

Long Run - 15.3 Miles @ 8:30 m/m

Long run today, the P&D plan recommends that you are running 45 MPW and able to "comfortably" cover the distance of the first long run.

Last night involved a lot of wine and a lot of pale ale, however I managed to avoid the whiskey and was home early. Well early ish.

This morning I hydrated as much as possible and headed out. Given the hangover and the Saturday track session I was expecting this to be a bit of a struggle but it was actually grand.

My legs are a bit sore now but that is to be expected after 2+ hours of running. The pace was good, started slow and built up gradually, even had some miles close to 8 min, but very much downhill and wind assisted.

Happy with this, all systems go for starting the plan in late May.

Mile|Pace|HR|HR %
    1|9:29|133|71%
    2|9:08|137|73%
    3|8:28|146|78%
    4|8:27|148|79%
    5|8:34|151|80%
    6|8:42|154|82%
    7|8:25|156|83%
    8|8:21|153|81%
    9|8:33|151|80%
    10|8:20|152|81%
    11|8:06|154|82%
    12|8:02|154|82%
    13|8:05|158|84%
    14|8:21|158|84%
    15|8:32|156|83%
    0.3|8:21|160|85%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

very impressive work going on there Adrian!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going adrian - when you say you hydrated before you went out, what's your method? I find if I have more than a few sips within an hour of going out it's stitch time. Might be just me and my poor breathing technique or god know what...

I had breakfast then had a couple of glasses of water, over the course of about an hour. Normally leave it an hour between heading eating and heading out anyway.

Didn't seem to have any negative affect. Didn't need to stop for water on the run either.

I did have a coffee too which probably negated some of the benefit of the water!

Monday

5 Miles @ Recovery Pace

In around UCD at lunchtime for this one. There is a nice track/trail that goes around most of the perimeter but it then disappears for a bit and I always seem to make a wrong turn somewhere and end up having to double back on myself or something. I'll get a nice 5 Mile loop figured out one of the days though.

Took it nice and slow, be good to get the evening off as I've stuff to do that won't get done tomorrow with club training etc.

Tuesday - Club Session

So this session was supposed to be:

2 x (1500m + 8 x 200m) with 3 mins after the 1500 and 200m jog after the 200's.

This was done in Bushy Park so the distances weren't exact so not much point in posting the splits. I'm sure the 200m was actually a bit longer than that.

Went out at what I thought was a pretty hard pace for the 1500 but looking back it is more like 10K pace.

The 200's came out about 10 seconds slower than what I'd do on the track, but the effort level was good for the first 8.

The second 1500 was tough, and we only managed 6 x 200 in the second set. I did step up to the faster group for the last few though so happy with that.

Jogged to training and back which probably added nearly 3 miles to the total.

Total for the day was 9.5 Miles.

Wednesday

Easy Paced Run

GPS went a bit mad at the start of the run and has me going around UCD in about 13 second/mile pace. So the pacing etc is way off at the start of the run.

Anyway, ran home from work, kept it fairly slow but picked it up for the last couple of miles. Strava says 7 miles but I'm sure its a little less than that.

What I can say is 55 mins @ easy pace for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

My Garmin the other day had me doing a 20 minute mile!!

Thursday

AM - Easy Paced Run - 3.3 Miles @ 8:51 m/m

PM - Club Session - Tempo Intervals

Started the day with a run into work. It was wet, very wet, but once I got into it, it wasn't too bad. Kept it easy the whole way.

This evenings club session was a long interval session:

4 x (10 mins @ Tempo with 2 mins Recovery jog)

Actually the session is supposed to be race pace but I went with tempo pace as there is so much of that in the P&D marathon program. I was aiming to keep the HR in the LT zone (81-92%, 153-170) and I managed that so I'm happy enough. The pace wasn't that consistent but the effort was.

Paces/HR for the intervals were:

7:11(157)/7:19(168)/7:52(170)/7:42(170)

Total was 7.3 Miles, Total or the day is 10.6 Miles.

Friday

4 recovery Miles @ 9:50

Out at lunch time for this, pretty uneventful. Kept it very slow, wanted to stay in the recovery HR range, ended up coming in below that. Very slow but useful nonetheless.

I may have to ditch these Brooks Pure Connect shoes, 100 miles in and they still never seem all that comfortable.

• Advertisement

Saturday

Track Session

2 x 1K (2 mins Recovery)
    2 x 500m (90 Seconds Recovery)
    4 x 300m (1 min Recovery)
    4 x 100m (50 Seconds Recovery)

Good Session this morning, different distances than I've done on the track before but happy with how it went. I think the longer reps will help improve my stamina over 5K and 10K.

I've posted the times below, quite enjoyable and a good morning for it.

Went for a bit of brunch afterwards in pickles in Sundrive Road, highly recommended if you are ever in the area, and the subsequent few hours handing out numbers for Sundays race.

Feet up for the evening though. Best of luck to everyone running tomorrow!

Distance|Time
    1K|3:52
    1K|3:57
    500m|1:56
    500m|1:52
    300m|1:02
    300m|1:03
    100m|0:17
    100m|0:16

Total 4.84 Miles.

11233779_845286408882494_3876553057263835752_n.jpg?oh=3489e6a0025fa450a8970099f79cf420&oe=55D62292&__gda__=1438794061_9986a43fd4d3b4959a084d8292225f68

Advertisement