Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Friday:

4.76 Miles @ 10:07 m/m

Nice run today, glad I got it in because I'm really busy today and have NCT tonight and then supposed to be going for pints, which will probably write off tomorrow too.

Anyway the times are gradually creeping down as I continue to get a little fitter.

Hoping for one more run this week and I'll aim for about 8 miles or so. I'll be down in Kilkenny so I'll have to sort out a route down there, around the ring road maybe!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sunday:

7.22 Miles @ 10:40 m/m

Trying to get back into a long slow run at the weekend, not that long but a step up from my weekday runs. I kept it as slow as I could though the HR was still quite high.

Tough going at times with a pretty strong wind, I don't think it would have been a good idea to go too much further at this point.

Onwards.

Weekly Totals:

22.22 Miles
    3hrs 51:31

Tuesday:

5.20 Miles @ 10:46 m/m

So, easy paced run tonight. Following on from a thread on the main forum I've been trying to keep the heart rate down on my easy runs. As a result I am running a good bit slower but the runs are more fun and hopefully will enable me to train more.

As an example tonight my average HR was 149, whereas last week most of runs had an average HR of about 167 so that is a fair difference. My max HR would be around 185 or maybe a little more.

Overall tonight was fun, felt I could have run a good bit longer.

Anyway, after this week I'll look to step up the training a bit and maybe introduce some more interval or tempo runs as well as continuing the easy runs.

I'm also trying to do some strength work and some core work so will try to keep that ticking over.

Wednesday

4.01 Miles @ 10.35 m/m

Not much to say about this one. It was an easy pace and pretty slow but I still found it quite difficult, not eating great or not hydrated enough but found it a bit of a struggle.

Anyway one of those sessions just to get through I guess.

Friday:

4 Miles @ 9.44 m/m

Well my first "Quality" workout of the year. Went out with the idea of doing a tempo type run, 1 Mile easy, 2 Miles at threshold pace and 1 mile warmdown.

I was trying to pace myself based on HR as I've no idea what my paces are currently. So I was aiming for HR of 82% of max for the easy miles and 90-92% for the pace miles.

Was tough to keep the temp pace at only that HR level as I was frequently up around 94-95%. Anyway good session and nice to have a changed from all the easy miles.

Paces:

Mile 1(Easy): 10:10
    Mile 2 (Threshold) 8:57
    Mile 3 (Threshold) 9:35
    Mile 4 (Easy) 10:12

Totals for February:

Distance: 52.40 Miles
    Duration: 9:04:53

Not bad for February considering I only started back on Feb 9th.

• Advertisement

Sunday

8.35 Miles @ 11:07 m/m

Long Slow run I guess, slow anyway, and the distance about a mile on top of last weeks effort so all good.

Biggest challenge was actually trying to keep it slow.

Anyway, rounds off a nice week of training, the miles are slowly creeping up.

Dreaded physio appointment tomorrow, hopefully it goes well,

Onwards to next week !

Weekly Totals:

Distance: 21.56 Miles
    Time: 3:50:08

Monday:

6 Miles @ 10:21 m/m

Easy pace again, quite an enjoyable run, a little longer than my mid week runs have been recently. Didn't feel too much ill effects from the 8 miles the day before.

Weather was just about perfect for running so no excuses really, still just building up miles at this point.

Hoping to get in a tempo and an interval session this week, but I'll see how the body is feeling!!

I've been to the physio and advised to work on stability in order to prevent injury so that will be fun :(

Wednesday:

Interval Session 4x400m with 200m recovery.

Started with 2 mile warm up at easy pace, followed that up with 8 reps of 400m with 200m recovery and finished up with a 2 mile warm down at easy pace.

I have to say I had completely forgotten how far 400m can be.

Anyway:

2.05 miles @ 10:38 m/m

8x400m:

1. 1:45
    2. 1:58
    3. 2:02
    4. 1:52
    5. 1:57
    6. 2:08
    7. 1:51
    8. 2:04

2.01 miles @ 10:27 m/m

As you can see the 400 times were a bit all over the place, but hey it's a starting point!!

Total 7 Miles.

Friday:

Tempo Run

1.5 Miles Warmup 10:47 m/m
    2.5 Miles @ Pace 9:10 m/m
    1 Mile Warmdown 10:28 m/m

Total: 5.08 Miles @ 9:55

Good session, enjoyable, took a day off yesterday when I could have done a few easy miles, today I was glad to get this session in. Hopefully get a 9-miler in over the weekend!

Saturday:

3 Miles @ 11:16 m/m

Decided to go for a recovery run first thing this morning.

Was a bit of a struggle, feeling a bit of pain on my left leg, which is a worry. I'll give the long run a go in the morning but I'm prepared to abandon it rather than run through the pain barrier.

Heading away for a week on Thursday so trying to get a good bit of training in before then!

• Advertisement

Sunday:

Long Slow Run
    9 Miles @ 11m/m

Was a bit of a slog at times today and I found it difficult to settle into a rhythm, usually going too fast at times, then needing to slow right down, was a bit better in the second half of my run,

I stashed some water on my route so I was able to refuel after about 5.5 miles which I found great.

Distance wise I found it tough, 9 miles was about my limit for today. My various aches and pains are telling me its time to take a step back week.

I've 3 days back to back now, so will probably take a full rest day tomorrow, hopefully get runs in on Tuesday and Wednesday because I'm away for a week on Thursday.

Anyway, Weekly Totals:

Distance: 30.13 Miles
    Time: 5:17:56

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

That's a big jump in miles this week , step back week is a good idea.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    That's a big jump in miles this week , step back week is a good idea.

Yeah I figured on going hard this week knowing I will be doing little enough between next Thursday and the following Wednesday.

I also had 5 days running instead of my usual 4.

Tuesday:

6.3 Miles @ 11:29m/m

I've been reading Daniels Running Formula and I have to say I think its a goldmine of advice and info.

Anyway, having read a little I've come to the conclusion that I may be running my easy runs a little to fast. While I found them easy my HR was up around 82% of max, while Daniels and just about everyone else recommend that these should be done at a HR of around 75-78% so I've tried to slow them down a bit.

It did feel a little like walking more than running at the start but I guess that's why they call it easy paced.

Anyway, I was also trying to concentrate on breathing a little better and try to put some structure on that which I also found difficult but I will persevere.

Onwards.

Friday

8.1 miles @ 10.45 m/m

Very fun run today, over in paris for the match so run today took me through montmarte, down to the, Louvre,along the river up to place De la concorde,champs elysees and up to the arc de triomphe

Very impressive sites altogether. Happy to get a run in today as there won't be much time over the next day or 2 I don't think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

You lucky duck adrian! Super run! Nothing like Paris in the springtime :)
    enjoy...

Saturday

3 miles @ 12.05 m/m

3 recovery miles this morning, nothing too strenuous.

Id say you will need a week of recovery runs to get over the celebrations in Paris tonight! Enjoy.

Monday

6 miles @ 10.44 m/m

Nice run in valencia today through the park up towards all their mad futuristic looking buildings.

I probably left it too late to go running as it was 26 degrees by the time I got going which is a bit too hot for my liking.

Anyway happy St. Patrick day everyone, I'm off to drink some tinto verano.

Saturday

10 Miles @ 10.44 m/m

Wow, 4 full days with no running, amazing how quickly my motivation disappeared after missing a few days.

Got back on track though with my weekly long run as planned.

Next week I hope to get back to running 4-5 days per week and also to do some repetition or interval sessions. I've my first race of the year in 3 weeks time so time to get cracking.

Had a rather unsavoury incident with a motorist today running a red light and nearly hitting me, welcome home I guess. Nice bit of wind and rain today too.

Weekly totals:

Week ending 16/03

Distance 17.40 Miles
    Time: 3:15:40

Week ending 23/03:

Distance: 16.01 Miles
    Time: 2:51:45

• Advertisement

What s the race Adrian?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    What s the race Adrian?

The race is the bhaa 10k in the k club on April 12th.

Monday 5 Mile Tempo Run

Tempo run today, my first session running at anything other than an easy pace since March 7th. It's been too long.

It was a whole lot of fun for the most part, despite the wind and rain.

I started off with an easy mile, then picked it up in mile 2 and then 2 quick (well high intensity) miles followed by 1 cool down easy paced mile.

Paces:

1. 10:14
    2. 9:27
    3. 9:04
    4. 9:08
    5. 10:42

As far as where I am i relation to my 10k i have no idea, I don't feel like I am ready to run sub 50, 54 or 55 seems more realistic but I will see on the day.

Glad to get this session in tonight as I nearly bailed on the session driving home in the rain.

Tuesday

5.6 miles @ 10:43 m/m

So I've been reading Daniels Running Formula, his basic fitness plans are color coded.

I've decided to have a go at running the blue plan for a while. It's divided into 4 phases the first of which is base building.

I feel I've a good amount of this sort of work done anyway at this stage but I'll give it a go for a few weeks before moving onto phase 2.

He proscribes time based targets, so tonight was 60 mins easy running.

One thing about the plan is the long runs are shorter than what I've been doing so I may be adding a bit to the long runs.

Anyway I won't get to complete the plan as I'll be starting a marathon plan around July to take me up to DCM.

I've never really properly followed a plan before, always taking bits I liked from different plans but I'm determined to follow one for Dublin.

Rest day tomorrow.

Thursday

45 mins Easy + 8 Strides (20 Seconds each with 1 min recovery)

Following the Daniels Blue plan still. A shorter run with the strides at the end. It was a nice run. The strides at the end certainly add something interesting to the session.

They are not difficult but it makes a change from the endless easy miles.

The 45 mins consisted of 4.24 miles @ 10:36 m/m which is a bit quicker than my easy miles have been so I guess my fitness is slowly improving as my HR remains the same.

Tomorrow the plan calls for a pretty involved session that I've set up on Garmin Connect and sent to the garmin so ready to go.

Plan is for 5 days running with 2 quality workouts.

All good so far.

Friday

15 min Easy
    4 x 4min Hard effort with 3 min recovery jog
    15 min Easy

This was the first of the quality sessions from the Daniels Blue plan was today. As above it's a pretty nice workout, I went pretty hard on the repititions but I guess that's the point.

I found the 3 min recovery jog enough to recover for the next set, not sure I could have done too many more though.

The paces for the 4 min sets were as follows:

8:08/7:57/7:53/8:18

Which is not too bad the last one was uphill so was a bit slower.

The recovery paces were

11:16/10:57/11:06/11:32

Total 5.84 Miles @ 9:57 m/m

Saturday, Watching Rugby,eating and drinking primarily. Didn't even get to pick up my coffee off Donnacha.

Sunday

Long Slow Run 11 Miles@ 10:49 m/m

The run was not too bad considering my condition. The miles were a little slower than I would have liked but I got through the miles easy enough in the end.

I guess the important thing at this stage is to get the miles done and not worry too much about the pace.

I used a Gel for the first time on todays run. It was a high 5 Iso Gel. I didn't have any problems taking it apart from getting the thing open. I did stop running completely to take it though.

Weekly Totals:

Distance: 32.78 Miles
    Duration: 5:41:37

Monday 60 Mins Easy Running

5.43 Miles @ 11 m/m

The plan called for easy miles but they didn't feel too easy. Still feeling the effects of the long run yesterday.

A few aches and pains and what not.

There is supposed to be a quality session tomorrow but I'll have to wait and see on that front.

Monthly Totals:

Distance 110 Miles
    Time 19:39:26

That 110 is the most I've ever run in a single month!

Tuesday and Wednesday no running due to illness. Such a frustrating thing, but taking a few days off is certainly the best thing to do.

I was off work yesterday and bored senseless, was half tempted to do a few easy miles but not well enough and half afraid of running into a work collegue or his wife who live up the road.

Today, back in work, still not 100% but decided to give it a go after work after some deliberation.

The days I missed had intended to be a quality session (8x400m repeats) and a rest day, so only missed the one session. Decided not to try and play catch up and ust pick up the plan from Thursday.

Thursday

45 mins easy running (10:04 m/m) followed by 8 strides of 20 seconds each with 1 min recovery.

All good, run was fun and weather was nice, went a different route and got a little lost before figuring out where I was, then stumbled across Eamonn Ceannt Park, which is actually really nice, I might start going here for my intervals in future.

The paces for the strides were in and around 6:30-7 m/m pace!

Anyway, hopefully back on form from tomorrow!!

Total 5.56 Miles

• Advertisement

Friday:

10 min Easy, 8x400m Repeats with 400m Recovery, 10 min Easy

This is actually a pretty tough session, it looks so easy when written down. It's from Daniels Blue plan, which I am trying to follow though I still haven't managed 2 sessions in a week as yet.

The Repetition pace at my level of fitness calls for 400 times of 1:54. I'm using the Garmin for measuring so it won't be exact and I'm also using the Garmin to measure 0.25 miles rather than switching everything to km.

The Garmin is good in the sense that you enter a target pace range and it tells you to speed up or slow down which gives you 400 times close to what you were aiming for.

400 Times:

1:57.5
    1:55.2
    1:54.7
    1:50.6
    1:54.5
    1:54.8
    1:56.3
    1:53.8

Not too bad at all. Overall it's a pretty tough session but I'm hoping these will stand to me in the weeks and months ahead.

I dropped out to Amphibian King after work and picked up a few different gels to try out on my long runs to see which agree with me and which don't, hopefully try the first of them this weekend!

Advertisement