Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thursday

5 Miles @ Recovery pace with 5 x 20 Second strides

Got this done at lunchtime. So nice having an evening to myself after 2 days of long runs after work.

Kept this very slow, 2 of the miles were slower than 10 mins but my take on these is you cant run them too slow but you certainly can run them too fast.

Strides felt difficult at first but need to wake the legs up in time for the weekend.

May do this same run again tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Any time in mind for Dunshaughlin?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not sure, PB is 42:08, if I beat that it won't be by much. Coming off 4 weeks marathon training so no speed work done recently though endurance shouldn't be an issue.

I'll see how I feel but hopefully get 41:xx.

IF it's not there on the night its not the end of the world and the race will help keep me in touch with a bit of speed.

Keep a bit in the tank for second half if you haven't ran it before, few sneaky drags that can ruin your race if you have gone out to hard. Its a great race, very best of luck with it.

Thanks, haven't looked into the course at all yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, haven't looked into the course at all yet!

its a very fast start so take it handy there, there's a hill around mile 5 (i think), have a read of last years thread, some differing opinions from meno & tunguska on pacing it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057225313

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    its a very fast start so take it handy there, there's a hill around mile 5 (i think), have a read of last years thread, some differing opinions from meno & tunguska on pacing it. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057225313

I'd say even or negative splits is the way to go, even though the hills (there are two - one short and sharp, one drag) are in the second half. Start can be messy as there's no mat. Best of luck with it. I can't do it now unfortunately but look forward to the race reports!

I'll aim for 20:30-21:00 5K I think , then see what's left for the second half.

Friday

5 Miles Recovery + Strides

For this could pretty much copy and paste yesterdays run as it was identical. 5 Miles @ recovery pace. 5 x 100m strides to finish. Was a little faster today as legs weren't as tired and the strides felt a bit easier and not as labored.

Nothing crazy though. I guess its not ideal build up to a race but with 2 easy days I'm at least giving myself a chance at a decent run.

Best of luck this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck this evening.

+1 Adrian, hope it's another good one for you!

Thanks, not real confident but I'll give it a go.

Thanks, not real confident but I'll give it a go.

Good luck! See you on the other side...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I like the title to this thread, Stan Wawrinka has it tatooed on his arm.

Such a great motto for sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Good luck Adrian. You're very strong at the moment which can only help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Best of luck tonight mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

All the best man! Have a gud un:)

No internet till now. Not a great result but it is a great race. Loved all the unofficial water stations, local support. PRE and post race atmosphere.

If I'd have done this race last year I wouldn't have known anyone, now between boards, beer milers and club mates there were dozens of people there I knew. This is why running is such a great sport.

I won't dwell on the result, preparation wasn't good enough for a pb attempt but still disappointed to come up so far short.

Teaches me for buying the pb beers before getting the pb. Currently drinking the founders centennial IPA. Great beer.

Onwards with the Marathon plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well at least you had the PB beer to console you! Hope you're not too disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

As your focus turns to Berlin Adrian, what is your goal time at this moment? Sub 3:15? Or do you hope to push on for a faster time?

Yes you said it yourself there, onwards to the marathon. Your training is going well there so hopefully your not too disappointed and you enjoyed the beers:-)

belcarra wrote: »
    As your focus turns to Berlin Adrian, what is your goal time at this moment? Sub 3:15? Or do you hope to push on for a faster time?

I'm not sure yet to be honest. Something in the area of 3.20 would be good. I'll just do the training and see what sort of shape I'm in at the time.

If I was being greedy I'd look at a faster time but that could go very wrong on the day.

annapr wrote: »
    Well at least you had the PB beer to console you! Hope you're not too disappointed.
    Firedance wrote: »
    Yes you said it yourself there, onwards to the marathon. Your training is going well there so hopefully your not too disappointed and you enjoyed the beers:-)

No, couldn't be too disappointed, initially I thought I'd gone out too fast but looking back my first 5K was 21:10 or thereabouts so that shouldn't have been too fast so I guess there was a bit too much accumulated fatigue in the legs to go too much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Sorry to hear that Adrian. Looking back over the last few days on your log, you seem to have acknowledged that it was going to be a tough gig. (I'll say nothing about your non-taper taper of 24 miles in the previous three days ;) ) Actually, I will because 42:55 on tired legs is damn good going! Did you do the lsr today and how did it go?
    If there's a small consolation, you are going to smash that 10k PB off the back of marathon training and if you don't go sub-40 by the end of the year, it won't be too long into the new year. Promise ;)

Absolutely agree, nothing to be disappointed about at all. I wanted to do the race for a number of reasons, firstly I'd heard so many good things about the race, secondly I wanted a race in June just to keep me interested and finally to stay in touch with the club because I haven't been going to the sessions so was good to catch up with people, particularly those who are also doing Berlin.

A PB would have been nice but as you rightly point out I had a lot of miles last week. I needed to make a call on what is more important, a weeks marathon training or a 10K PB. I made my decision and have no regrets at all about that.

Yes I went out for a run this evening. Left it till late as I didn't want to run within 24 hours of the race. Ended up doing around 12 miles, but a good bit slower than my normal long run pace. It was fine, no major issues from the legs at all. I could have done more but I was warned not to do too much and it was getting late.

Let's get up to date on my running over the last few days.

Saturday

Warmup (3 Miles) + Race (6.2 Miles) + Cool Down (1 Mile)

Enough has been written on this already but just to log it. 3 Mile warmup at easy pace, followed by some form drills and strides.

The race itself, very well organised, I feel they have the numbers to justify putting a timing mat at the start but other than that no complaints. The start is on a very wide road so no real congestion issues.

I remember thinking the first mile was very quick, but the next 2 were all on target. My initial plan had be to run around 6:45 for the first 3 and then hopefully pick it up in the second half. I went through half way in 21:09 or thereabouts so that shouldn't have been too quick, but as I mentioned above I think there was just too much mileage in the legs.

The last 2 miles were certainly a bit of a struggle. My HR would seem to confirm that I worked as hard as would be expected just couldn't maintain the required pace.

No harm done anyway, enjoyable race and I move on.

Lap|Pace|HR%
    1|6:32|89
    2|6:44|92
    3|6:56|93
    4|6:51|93
    5|7:22|93.5
    6|7:01|93.5
    0.2|6:54|94

Sunday

Medium Long Run 12.6 Miles @ 9:29 m/m

Left this until late, after 9pm. Kept it very slow, recovery pace pretty much and limited it to 2 hours. Longest day of the year and wasn't completely dark even finishing at 11pm.

Monday

Recovery Run (6 Miles @ 9:29 m/m)

Didn't want to do much at all yesterday, but also wanted to switch things around this week. I want to get my long run done by Saturday and also move my tempo to later in the week. This run was kept very slow. I'll get the tempo done on Thursday I think, with MLR today. This weeks second MLR will be dropped completely. Key session on Saturday is 18 with 10 @ MP so want to be fresh for that.

I'll get the tempo done on Thursday I think, with MLR today. This weeks second MLR will be dropped completely. Key session on Saturday is 18 with 10 @ MP so want to be fresh for that.

What plan are you following Adrian?
    To get 10 miles completed at MP this week would be very impressive!
    If things were to follow in this trajectory might you be found peaking too soon?
    (I suppose the overall plan will answer this)

It's the P&D 18 week 55-70 MPW plan.

Bit of a mouth full I guess. There are 4 M-Pace sessions. One was in week 2, this week (week 5) then in week 9 and week 13.

Plan is here which is what was planned not exactly what I've done but its more or less the template I'm following.

• Advertisement

It's the P&D 18 week 55-70 MPW plan.

Bit of a mouth full I guess. There are 4 M-Pace sessions. One was in week 2, this week (week 5) then in week 9 and week 13.

Plan is here which is what was planned not exactly what I've done but its more or less the template I'm following.

I just requested access for that file there now.
    I've done that plan before but always struggled/failed with the long MP segments.
    Just surprised they have that long a distance this far out.
    (In comparison I am only doing 5-6km @ MP towards the end of all my long runs the past few weeks. Going to build it up steadily for the remainder to hit about 10 miles before tapering)

What will be your MP pace for this run? 4:40-4:45 or thereabouts?
    (It might be contained in the document, apologies if so)

Advertisement