Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

belcarra wrote: »
    I just requested access for that file there now.
    I've done that plan before but always struggled/failed with the long MP segments.
    Just surprised they have that long a distance this far out.
    (In comparison I am only doing 5-6km @ MP towards the end of all my long runs the past few weeks. Going to build it up steadily for the remainder to hit about 10 miles before tapering)

What will be your MP pace for this run? 4:40-4:45 or thereabouts?
    (It might be contained in the document, apologies if so)

Should be able to get in now. It's literally just a copy and paste from the plan in the book though.

I'll try to hit 7:45-7:30 but I won't be too disappointed if I miss out on that. Last time it was 8 miles @ M-Pace but the area I was running in wasn't really conducive to maintaining a solid pace but the last few miles on the road came out at 7:45 ish. I'd be happy with that again if I could get a bit of consistency into the splits this time.

In KM that would be about 4:50/km. Are you following a particular plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Got it now thanks!
    adrian522 wrote: »
    In KM that would be about 4:50/km. Are you following a particular plan?

A 'makedy-uppity for advanced' plan!!:p
    Just copied yours across to my PC to keep an eye on it for future!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

There's a 12 week version of that plan as well which I think I would consider next time, 18 weeks seems a bit long for my liking.

Last week was poor from a stretching/strength/core point of view, just one Myrtle routine the whole week. Mileage was good with 58.5 Miles logged.

This week has started better with a core routine last night. Hopefully getting back to doing a bit more of this sort of thing!

Tuesday:

14 Miles MLR @ 8:45 m/m

I knew this was going to be tough, it was hot, I was tired and a bit of residual tiredness in the legs. The first few miles I kept it easy but after around 6 miles the legs really started complaining so slowed it down further. The last 5 or so miles it seemed a bit easier so the pace picked up again slightly.

Towards the end of the run I was struggling to keep the HR in the required range so needed to keep the pace in check somewhat.

Recovery run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Recovery Run - 5 Miles @ 9:42 m/m

Out at lunch time for this, slow recovery run. What ever about the rest of my runs I'm determined not to do these too fast. A bit stiff and sore after yesterday but apart from that all is good.

PM: Strength and AIS

3 x 8 Squats
    3 x 8 SL Squats
    3 x 8 Lunges
    Glut Bridge/Leg raise kind of exercise (2 sets of about 4 each side)
    2 x 10 SL Deadlift each side
    3 x 10 calf raise/heel drops
    some skipping, both feet together and singe (4 mins total)

I think that was it.

Followed by the Hartman AIS stretches.

Tomorrow I'm due to do 9 Miles with 5 @ tempo. Not sure if this is a good idea with a long run with 10 MP miles in the weekend. Posted about this on the random running questions thread. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Long Run yesterday that you seemed to struggle on towards the end, recovery run today PLUS a gym strength session and you're planing almost 10 miles tomorrow with 5 at tempo.

Seems a bit much to me Adrian...

TbL

OK, fair enough. Wasn't a gym session, just some bodyweight stuff at home.

What would you suggest for tomorrow, just an easy pace run?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OK, fair enough. Wasn't a gym session, just some bodyweight stuff at home.

What would you suggest for tomorrow, just an easy pace run?

I'm no expert at all, but if it was me I'd wait till tomorrow and see how how the body was, the original planned session might be ok if you've recovered well but from what you've said you seemed to struggle on the LR?

Maybe start out with some easy miles and work in a progression tempo run and be prepared to pull the plug if not feeling good. I'm only speaking personally so someone else with some knowledge might chime in.

TbL

Meno has suggested that the 10K race likely served the same purpose as the tempo so maybe no need to do that anyway. I may just do what was originally in the plan which is another Medium Long Run. P&D love these ML runs!

• Advertisement

Thursday

Medium Long Run - 12 Miles @ 8:28 m/m

A big thanks to TBL, Meno, Network Error and Ger for talking some sense into me yesterday, if someone asked me the same question I was asking yesterday there is no way I'd have advised a tempo session but when it's your own training sometimes the correct course of action isn't so obvious.

Anyway, the first few miles of this I was a bit lethargic and a little unmotivated but after around 4 miles (which were mainly uphill) it got a whole lot easier and was a very fun run.

Deliberately started out slowly, had a steady middle bit and aimed to pick it up to 8:15 or so pace for the last 5 miles. All this felt quite manageable so overall I'm very happy with how this run went, it was so much easier than Tuesday's MLR.

Friday

5 Miles Recovery @ 9:23 m/m

5 mile recovery run around UCD. Pleasant enough. Main session of the week is tomorrow. Still no idea really what my PMP should be, guess I'll make it up as I go along much like the rest of my training.

Hoping the 5 mile race won't impact my route too much in the morning. Hopefully be nearly finished by the time they get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

P&D love these ML runs!

They certainly do, personally I reckon they're one of the best parts of the P&D plans. I felt they really stod to me this year.

Yeah I guess they have their upside, but when there are 2 per week and a long run on the weekend it can be a bit draining. Not necessarily that they are that difficult but they do take a lot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Friday

5 Miles Recovery @ 9:23 m/m

5 mile recovery run around UCD. Pleasant enough. Main session of the week is tomorrow. Still no idea really what my PMP should be, guess I'll make it up as I go along much like the rest of my training.

Hoping the 5 mile race won't impact my route too much in the morning. Hopefully be nearly finished by the time they get going.

Bring the Pom Poms with you!

Ha Ha, I'll leave them in the car think....

Saturday - Long Run Session

18 Miles with 10 @ PMP

Up early for this one, I wanted to avoid the worst of the weather and also to catch the end of the Irish Runner 5 Mile. Up at 6, breakfast and was running by 7:30.

Started out well. Didn't want to kill myself for the first 8 miles so took it fairly easy. The 10 marathon pace miles were always going to be tough. decided to go for 7:30 pace and see how it felt. Well it felt tough, but not unmanageable. While the splits look good I did stop a few times, for water, to sort out some stomach issues, when HR was getting out of control so I can't really claim to have maintained this pace for the 10 miles.

But overall I'm very happy to have gotten through it, very enjoyable running through the park at that hour, pleasing to have hit the paces I did, even if I couldn't maintain for the full 10 miles, I know there are still 13 weeks to go so plenty of time to get fitter.

At present I'm thinking 7:45 may be a more realistic pace than 7:30 but I'm making no long term decisions just yet. This was a key session and I think I ran just as well as I could have done on the day.

Nice to see all the boardises after the 5 mile race, though the walk to the finish line and back probably added another 2 miles to my total that I didn't need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Saturday - Long Run Session

18 Miles with 10 @ PMP

Up early for this one, I wanted to avoid the worst of the weather and also to catch the end of the Irish Runner 5 Mile. Up at 6, breakfast and was running by 7:30.

Started out well. Didn't want to kill myself for the first 8 miles so took it fairly easy. The 10 marathon pace miles were always going to be tough. decided to go for 7:30 pace and see how it felt. Well it felt tough, but not unmanageable. While the splits look good I did stop a few times, for water, to sort out some stomach issues, when HR was getting out of control so I can't really claim to have maintained this pace for the 10 miles.

But overall I'm very happy to have gotten through it, very enjoyable running through the park at that hour, pleasing to have hit the paces I did, even if I couldn't maintain for the full 10 miles, I know there are still 13 weeks to go so plenty of time to get fitter.

At present I'm thinking 7:45 may be a more realistic pace than 7:30 but I'm making no long term decisions just yet. This was a key session and I think I ran just as well as I could have done on the day.

Nice to see all the boardises after the 5 mile race, though the walk to the finish line and back probably added another 2 miles to my total that I didn't need!

let me get this straight... we saw you AFTER your 18 miles?? :eek: I don't even look that fresh before 18 miles :D well done, you really are putting the work in and I'm excited to see what the results will be come October

Thanks AM, didn't feel too fresh I have to say...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sounds like a tough run, A, although I agree with FD there that you appear to have recovered well. What MP does current form suggest? 10 miles seems a lot at this early stage but then again that's why I never fancied P&D!

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Sounds like a tough run, A, although I agree with FD there that you appear to have recovered well. What MP does current form suggest? 10 miles seems a lot at this early stage but then again that's why I never fancied P&D!

Yeah, wasn't exactly easy but one I will look back on to motivate myself in future.

Well 5k or 10k times would indicate 7.30 or thereabouts but I realize that it is dangerous to base anything on such short distances.

As I said I'll just go through the training and reassess things closer to the date. Still over 3 months to go.

Sunday

3 Miles @ 9:31 m/m

Just a shot easy recovery run, to help dispel the fatigue from yesterdays long run. Also nice to help get over the hangover!

Total for the week is 63 Miles. highest mileage of the year so far.

This was supplemented by 1 Core Session, 1 Strength Session, 1 Myrtle Session and 1 AIS session.

Next week is a step back/recovery week which will also include a sports massage. So far so good I guess.

13 weeks to go.

Monday

8.1 Miles @ 8:40 m/m

Well, a brand new week. The legs were complaining a bit starting off. Wasn't too bad once I got into it though.

Kept it easy throughout and finished up with 10 x 100m Strides, which were good, nice to keep in touch with a bit of speed with all this long slowish stuff.

Got though the Core routine tonight too. Have to keep Ger Hatmann happy after all.

Tuesday

12 Miles @ 8:32 m/m

Twas warm today, hope it's not like that in Berlin. Not only that but up in Marley it was really windy. Hope it's not like that in Berlin either. Anyway enough bitching about the weather. Nice run today, could have done with some water but sucessfully picked up the pace for the last 5 miles so happy enough.

Just thinking there is a lot of talk on the forums about various injuries people are dealing with, I feel sorry for you guys, must be so tough. I've been very lucky in that regard, a few niggles here and there but nothing I wasn't able to deal with myself by being sensible.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going for a sports massage, I think it's a good time to get it done as the legs are complaining a bit and also on the stepback week it seems like a good idea.

Probably no core or whatever tonight, already 10 and loads still to do.

Another month down and all in all it was pretty successful. I didn't PB in Dunshaughlin but I did have a good beer mile debut!

The main goal of the month was to get stuck into the marathon plan and I've certainly done that with 12 long or medium long runs. Hopefully this will stand to me.

Only one session (A tempo run) but I knew this was going to take a back seat in this section which is all about building endurance.

The next bit is about increasing LT which will mean a few more tempo runs before I get stuck into the race prep phase.

I've no races planned for July, I thought about the Mullingar 10 Mile but decided against it. There will be a lot of racing in August. Rock N Roll half (possibly as a MP Session) and 2 prescribed races on the plan.

So far so good I guess.

Tables:

Days Running|27/30
    Sessions|1
    Long Runs|12
    Races|2
    PB's|1

Month|2013|2014|2015
    January|7|0|191
    February|10|53|196
    March|7|111|207.9
    April|26|154|165.2
    May|69|121|219.7
    June|75|93|257.4
    July|67|212
    August|101|233
    September|85|261
    October|4|179
    November|13|28
    December|6|163
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1238

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

THREE REST DAYS! Sports massage will be fun after that. Enjoy.

aquinn wrote: »
    THREE REST DAYS! Sports massage will be fun after that. Enjoy.

Thanks, took me a while to figure out what you meant!

Wasn't fun exactly but it was needed, I'll probably go for another one in mid-August and again the week before the race. Well worth it I think.

Got given advice to keep up the Myrtle, or even do it twice a week to improve hip mobility and also to do more heel raises.

Anyway, while I'm here:

Wednesday

5 Miles @ 9:07 m/m

Decided to get this out of the way at lunchtime. Legs weren't too sore surprisingly, was covered in sweat by the end of it though so glad it's out of the way early.

I think a half in August is a good idea but the timing of the Rock n Roll HM seems a little early - why not bin that completely and find one that fits the schedule better, maybe Longford on the 30th (if that's not one of the planned ones already). Also, why three races? Berlin's the goal. :)

Murph_D wrote: »
    I think a half in August is a good idea but the timing of the Rock n Roll HM seems a little early - why not bin that completely and find one that fits the schedule better, maybe Longford on the 30th (if that's not one of the planned ones already). Also, why three races? Berlin's the goal. :)

Hi,

The plan was to use the RNR roll half for a session which is 16 Miles with 12 @ MP. I wouldn't be racing it as such and I'd need to do that session anyway(either as part of the race or on my own).

I'm considering Tullamore as my Half to race 4 weeks out (day before longford). A few from here who are running Berlin are also doing this.

The plan has tune up races in the build up to Berlin at weeks 12,14 and 16, which correspond to Aug 15, 29th and Sept 12th. Sept 12th would be a 10K, still not sure on Aug 15th, might need to be a time trial or something.

Agree that the main goal is Berlin and I don't want to do anything to jeopardise that but at the same time I'd like to stick to the plan a much a s possible too as it has worked for a lot of other runners.

• Advertisement

Fair enough - each to his own but I'm wondering what's the appeal of doing a race as a MP session, especially a big noisy commercial one like the RnR! Unless you have a free entry or something...

Advertisement