Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

aquinn wrote: »
    Enough about running, tell us about the Frames, how was it?

I've done the Simon fun run twice, it was my first ever race. Loved it obviously. Always early October.

I'll be in full on recovery mode by early October. Still need to find a race for August 15th.

The Frames were cool. I think they had everyone who has ever been associated with band at any time up on stage at one point. Played a good long set, from 8pm to 10:30 ish. Finished with a great version of the Mic Christopher song Heyday, which was really a great way to finish.

I'm very impressed with the venue (Iveagh Gardens), small enough for an outdoor venue but suited this perfectly. All in all a very good night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

what distance are you looking for Aug 15th?, this just came up in my FB feed https://www.facebook.com/DunboyneAC/posts/828727400567575?notif_t=notify_me_page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

adrian522 wrote: »
    I'll be in full on recovery mode by early October. Still need to find a race for August 15th.

The Frames were cool. I think they had everyone who has ever been associated with band at any time up on stage at one point. Played a good long set, from 8pm to 10:30 ish. Finished with a great version of the Mic Christopher song Heyday, which was really a great way to finish.

I'm very impressed with the venue (Iveagh Gardens), small enough for an outdoor venue but suited this perfectly. All in all a very good night.

Options from runireland for Aug 15th:

Gaelforce West

QUADRATHON 2015

Rás an Bhuailtín

Kilmore AC 10K

Iveagh Gardens is such a beautiful spot. Great for a concert.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Firedance wrote: »
    what distance are you looking for Aug 15th?, this just came up in my FB feed https://www.facebook.com/DunboyneAC/posts/828727400567575?notif_t=notify_me_page
    aquinn wrote: »
    Options from runireland for Aug 15th:

Gaelforce West

QUADRATHON 2015

Rás an Bhuailtín

Kilmore AC 10K

Iveagh Gardens is such a beautiful spot. Great for a concert.

Thanks, I'm looking for 10K to 10 Mile. Kilmore is an option but its a long way to go for a race.

Don't even want to know what a quadrathon is. Gaelforce west is some sort of adventure race I think. The other one is down in Kerry I think.

Yep that Duleek one is an option and there is a 10 Mile in Monaghan too so I'll figure something out.

This is posted on the main thread? No idea when it is on though but could work?

Half marathon race pacers needed
    Hi all,

we have a small half marathon this sat in Laois for charity. We need a 1:40 and 2hr pacer if anyone is available. !!

Just pop me a message

• Advertisement

That's this weekend I think.

Yes it is, didn't bother reading it fully.

Tuesday - 14.1 Miles @ 8:30 m/m

Out of work early for this yesterday. 14 Miles is a fair bit for mid week I think but was a fairly nice run yesterday, except for one section that was into a fairly strong wind, felt like I wasn't going anywhere.

As this was the day after the tempo I was expecting the legs to be pretty tired and they were to be honest, especially towards the end of the run. I'm guessing the point is to get used to running long on tired legs so hopefully it will be beneficial. I was glad when it was over to be honest.

Off down to the Sportstworld clubhouse for a barbecue. They picked the wrong week for it but there was loads of food and it was great to catch up with people again.

I must attempt to get to some of the club long runs over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Couple of options for the 16th of August;

Duleek 10k
    Monaghan 10 miler

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Couple of options for the 16th of August;

Duleek 10k
    Monaghan 10 miler

Yeah, there's a few options around alright, I'll figure something out.

• Advertisement

Wednesday

5 Miles @ 9:18 m/m

Recovery Run, hoped to get it done at lunchtime but got lazy, seemed like I'd only just finished my previous run before lacing up for this one so left till after work. Wasn't too bad today, generally don't enjoy these but they are necessary.

My log received its 1000 post earlier today, thanks Bulmers.

Also sorry for not reading your logs lately, I'm due a catchup but little to no time right now.

Thursday - 11 Miles @ 8:25 m/m

This one felt pretty easy and I had to check myself to keep the pace in check. Still a bit fast in places but not too bad I guess. Then spent the evening assembling IKEA furniture and was pretty exhausted getting to bed. Slept well but getting up this morning was tough!

Thursday - 11 Miles @ 8:25 m/m

This one felt pretty easy and I had to check myself to keep the pace in check. Still a bit fast in places but not too bad I guess. Then spent the evening assembling IKEA furniture and was pretty exhausted getting to bed. Slept well but getting up this morning was tough!

you deserve a medal for this alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Agreed! The only thing more stressful than assembling ikea furniture is going to ikea to buy it!
    You need a serious amount of endurance for both! Well done adrian!!!
    Nice running too :)
    You're gonna have one hell of a marathon this year!

Ososlo wrote: »
    Agreed! The only thing more stressful than assembling ikea furniture is going to ikea to buy it!

Well done on IKEA assembly. The first item I ever built I opened up all packets and put them on the ground. Then of course checked instructions so kept having to take it apart again when I realised I used the wrong type of peg. Even more worrying is the bits that are left over. Unit still standing, missing a drawer but nothing major. IKEA should only be done late on a weeknight.
    Good mid-week running.

Ososlo wrote: »

The main problem is all the packaging. Getting the sofa out of the cardboard and moving the cardboard outside, breaking it up and putting it way took almost an hour.

As it was a replacement for a defective sofa it didn't require a trip out there which was the only positive thing.

Still have to assemble the smaller one though, and then get rid of all the cardboard, probably 2 or 3 trips to the recycle center. The running is the easy bit in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Only thing worse than IKEA furniture is trying to assemble kids toys on Xmas Eve, particularly when slightly tipsy. Instructions are usually written in Chinese and it never looks like the one on the box :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Anything to do with IKEA must count as cross-training, surely?

Well in that case I won't feel too bad for having no core done at all this week and not looking good for tonight either.

assembling Ikea furniture IS core work! balance on one leg while leaning at a 180 degree angle trying to fit a square peg into a round hole :D:D

• Advertisement

assembling Ikea furniture IS core work! balance on one leg while leaning at a 180 degree angle trying to fit a square peg into a round hole :D:D

This is why my bathroom unit is missing a drawer :D

Friday

7 Miles Easy with 10 x 100m Strides

Got this done at lunchtime. Will give me a bit more recovery before long run tomorrow.

Hopefully my Friday night won't put a stop to my Saturday morning running plans.

Saturday

Unscheduled rest day. Failed to get up with the alarm and by the time I did it was too late for my long run as I had a gas engineer coming at 2, afternoon spent sorting out the last of the ikea assembly and the evening spent watching hurling. Not a bad day considering there was no running.

Sunday

Long Run - 21 Miles @ 8:45 m/m

Up early for this, started running by 8, did a mile up alongside chesterfield avenue, then the usual 10 mile loop. All this was fine, miles ticked by easily. 9:30 met up with the club for another 10 mile loop. After 2 miles of this my calf started to tighten up to the point that I needed to stop and stretch, I did this twice I think. Wasn't too bad but certainly a bit uncomfortable.

Got through the last 5 miles but no thoughts of upping the pace for the finish for this one. Finished with coffee and scone in the cafe in the park, very tasty and a nice way to round off the week.

68 Miles for the week.

Monday

Rest. Core routine, AIS, some icing of the troublesome calf. A few calf raises on a step all seemed fine and good to get back to running.

Tuesday

5.1 Miles @ 9:18 m/m

Plan today had 6 Miles recovery in the AM and 4 in the PM.

Headed off into work on a 6 mile route. Calf was giving trouble and I should have stopped earlier but I ploughed on through as I didn't have any other way into work and was just in shorts and T-shirt in the rain. This proceeded for a few miles but after 5 or so miles I had to admit that discomfort or niggle or what not had descended into pain and that continuing would be a bad idea.

Had to give up and walk into work in the rain. Ice now and not much running in my immediate future I don't think.

Monday

Rest. Core routine, AIS, some icing of the troublesome calf. A few calf raises on a step all seemed fine and good to get back to running.

Tuesday

5.1 Miles @ 9:18 m/m

Plan today had 6 Miles recovery in the AM and 4 in the PM.

Headed off into work on a 6 mile route. Calf was giving trouble and I should have stopped earlier but I ploughed on through as I didn't have any other way into work and was just in shorts and T-shirt in the rain. This proceeded for a few miles but after 5 or so miles I had to admit that discomfort or niggle or what not had descended into pain and that continuing would be a bad idea.

Had to give up and walk into work in the rain. Ice now and not much running in my immediate future I don't think.

can you get an appointment asap? get it sorted sooner rather than later? sorry to hear it, you were right to stop though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Hopefully it's nothing sinister Adrian but get it checked out anyway.

can you get an appointment asap? get it sorted sooner rather than later? sorry to hear it, you were right to stop though

Been discussing via email. Gotten some advice on what to do. Pretty much as expected. I've had this before so I know more or less what is required. Rest and ice, followed by Heel raises and back running once single leg heel raises can be done pain free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to hear that, at least you know what the issue is and you can start rehabbing it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Hope the recovery goes well Adrian. Take you time getting back into it, a couple of missed sessions will hold you back a lot less than dodgy muscles come race day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I bet that was not a happy walk in the rain... hope it gets better quickly for you.

Advertisement