Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

The running sniper has taken a few out this month already. Hope you're back in action soon man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Oh ****e Adrian :( Really hope it's all ok soon. Do as you're told and listen to your body ;) oh and get in that pool for some aqua jogging :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

How's rehab going ? Hope you're on the mend!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I don't handle not running very well. Today is only my 2nd day of not running. This is the first time since early December that this has happened.

Calf still feels like running will be a few days away at least. It was a lot worse on Tuesday than I first thought, wasn't really able to put any weight on it that evening. It was a good bit better yesterday but doesn't seem to have improved much today.

At this stage I'm thinking I may as well write off the week. If I get a short recovery run in by Sunday that would do me. I'd still have 10 weeks to go at that point. If I go back too early and have a setback that could be disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't handle not running very well. Today is only my 2nd day of not running. This is the first time since early December that this has happened.

Calf still feels like running will be a few days away at least. It was a lot worse on Tuesday than I first thought, wasn't really able to put any weight on it that evening. It was a good bit better yesterday but doesn't seem to have improved much today.

At this stage I'm thinking I may as well write off the week. If I get a short recovery run in by Sunday that would do me. I'd still have 10 weeks to go at that point. If I go back too early and have a setback that could be disastrous.
    Very sensible Adrian. If I were you I'd get it seen to also just to ensure I'd be doing everything possible between now and next Monday to help it along (correct stretches and maybe a good deep massage would help).
    What do you put it down to? Do you think at all that maybe you ramped up the mileage a bit too much too soon? I know you're following a plan but do you think your base mileage was strong enough going into it?

• Advertisement

I don't handle not running very well.

None of us do!

+1 on the sensible-ness. And to getting it seen to which might speed up the process. You've lots of miles built up already and if you need to adjust the programme there's plenty of time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ososlo wrote: »
    Very sensible Adrian. If I were you I'd get it seen to also just to ensure I'd be doing everything possible between now and next Monday to help it along (correct stretches and maybe a good deep massage would help).
    What do you put it down to? Do you think at all that maybe you ramped up the mileage a bit too much too soon? I know you're following a plan but do you think your base mileage was strong enough going into it?

It was pretty tight over the last few weeks, got a massage and was given exercises to do (which I did). On my last long run it seemed to get worse but I stupidly finished the run. EColi has a theory on what caused it, namely that a tightness in my hip could have caused issues in terms of pronation, coupled with the added pressure on the calf/achilles from the fatigue of the long run and the uneven surface on the trails meant more pressure going on the calf.

I don't think its the added miles as such but they could certainly have contributed. I'm diligently applying heat, doing my exercises and stretches so should be better by next week.

Really shouldn't have ran at all on Tuesday, or at least bailed on the run very early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

It was pretty tight over the last few weeks, got a massage and was given exercises to do (which I did). On my last long run it seemed to get worse but I stupidly finished the run. EColi has a theory on what caused it, namely that a tightness in my hip could have caused issues in terms of pronation, coupled with the added pressure on the calf/achilles from the fatigue of the long run and the uneven surface on the trails meant more pressure going on the calf.

I don't think its the added miles as such but they could certainly have contributed. I'm diligently applying heat, doing my exercises and stretches so should be better by next week.

Really shouldn't have ran at all on Tuesday, or at least bailed on the run very early.

lesson learned though so onwards! sounds like L has found the issue and you're doing your stretches/exercises/heat etc so fingers crossed all will be ok after the weekend. As BG said none of us are good at not running so we feel your pain! stick with it and don't go back too soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Stay patient and keep the faith. Only a small blip in the bigger proceedings hopefully.

Hopefully yeah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Hard I know but stay upbeat, it's a few days rest that will really aid you in the long run term.

Nearly all of us would have done the same.

Sounds like you're doing everything you can do so. Sit tight and you'll be back at it stronger than ever in no time. As was said already, the enforced rest might actually be a good thing to let the bod make all those wonderful adaptions from your recent training.

And don't be afraid to come on here to moan. That's one of the best things about this place. RL people just don't get it but everyone here does!!!!

And don't be afraid to come on here to moan. That's one of the best things about this place. RL people just don't get it but everyone here does!!!!

Who?

aquinn wrote: »
    Who?

Real Life people:) Not fantasy-land Boards folks:)

Real Life people:) Not fantasy-land Boards folks:)

Ugh.

Will we see you at Fingal on Sunday?

Ugh.

Will we see you at Fingal on Sunday?

Nope. Will do a 5k Parkrun soon and then shop around for a 10k in about a month.
    Best of luck to you A!

and then shop around for a 10k in about a month.

The Lakes 10K in Blessington ! 5th Sept. Super race.

14/08 - Edenderry AC 10K
    15/08 - Kilmore AC 10K
    16/08 - Duleek 10K

I know nothing about any of these really but I need to find a race that week too and they are candidates.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    The Lakes 10K in Blessington ! 5th Sept. Super race.
    14/08 - Edenderry AC 10K
    15/08 - Kilmore AC 10K
    16/08 - Duleek 10K

I know nothing about any of these really but I need to find a race that week too and they are candidates.

Thanks BG but 5th September is way too late as I've got my goal Half (Tullamore) the last week of August so need something leading up to the half. Some good suggestions there Adrian thanks.
    How are things today A? Improvement?

Still more or less the same I think. Third day of no running. (Not that I'm counting).

Ill likely head out to get it seen on Monday I think.

• Advertisement

Still more or less the same I think. Third day of no running. (Not that I'm counting).

Ill likely head out to get it seen on Monday I think.

yes good idea. At least you have time on your side. Better it happen now...

Any improvement Adrian?

Yeah, fair bit of improvement alright. I'd like to give it another day or 2 though. Rather go back a day too late than a day too early. Tomorrow is possible but Tuesday is probably more likely.

Even if it is Wednesday that would just mean 1 week missed which is manageable at this stage with 10 weeks to go.

I was out for a long cycle yesterday (45 Miles or so) which is helping to keep me sane.

Feeling ok given some of the injuries knocking about the place. It's not like I've had a season ender, I've missed a few days and it shouldn't have too great an impact i the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sounds like you have the right attitude Adrian. Hope you're back in to it soon.

Glad to hear that :)

Update for the last week...

Tuesday, after the morning run was abandoned I didn't do much in the evening, some core work I think.

Wednesday

Went for a long after work cycle. From Clonskeagh, over the toll bridge, Clontarf, Howth, Sutton, Baldoyle (Punture, rapired on roadside), Malahide, then home via the Malahide road.

Just under 40 Miles. 2:46:21.

Thursday

Myrtle, AIS and some Calf strengthening.

Friday

Some calf stuff I think, not too much.

Saturday

Long cycle again, this time up towards Dundrum, Enniskerry, Delgany, Greystones, Bray, Blackrock and back home.

44 Miles in just over 3 Hours

Sunday

Rest. Cooked dinner for the folks, went for drinks. Leg feeling good, but wasn't tempted to run.

Monday

Honestly felt fine but wanted to play it safe. Went for a cycle instead. After work headed down to the Phoenix park to do some work there. Tried to add in a bit of intensity as opposed to long stuff. The hills up there work well for this but it is hard to keep the HR up while cycling.

23.7 Miles in 1:33:23

Tuesday

Decided to try a recovery paced run this morning. Leg had been feeling good so set out to work with a 5 mile route planned. Felt ok at the start, just a bit of tightness. Stretched it out and felt ok so carried on.

After a little over 2 miles it was still feeling tight so stretched again, this time it felt worse when I got going again. Gave it a little bit to see if it would get better but seemed to be getting worse.

Walked the last 2 or 3 miles into work, disgusted. Same position as this time last week. Not confident about putting a timeframe on this anymore. And my man in walkinstown is out of action too.

damm :( will send you on PM with alternative physio, might be some use

:mad: Raging for you. SportsMed Ireland (in town) might be the way to go ? Fingers crossed for a speedy return.

Sorry you aren't 100% Adrian. Some lovely cycles though, well done.

• Advertisement

Firedance wrote: »
    damm :( will send you on PM with alternative physio, might be some use
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    :mad: Raging for you. SportsMed Ireland (in town) might be the way to go ? Fingers crossed for a speedy return.
    Sorry you aren't 100% Adrian. Some lovely cycles though, well done.

Thanks all. Thanks for the PM AM, I'll try and get an appointment somewhere as soon as I can.

Advertisement