Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Oh no, disappointed for you seeing that update, Adrian. You've been doing everything right, resting, etc. Hopefully won't take long to sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »

I highly recommend Ciaran too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Update:

Tuesday:

No exercise of any description, some beers and watching a movie. Noticed that the Berlin marathon app now has a countdown timer on it. 9 Weeks, 3 days, 18 hours etc.

Wen to the physio, he pent a good bit of time working on the calf. General prognosis is good, no tear, just a general build up of tightness that needed to be released. After this morning's session I should be tender in that area for a few days but should be good to get back to some easy running over the weekend.

Hopefully back on the plan by Monday.

Anyone any thoughts on how to approach the last 9 weeks?

Should I just follow the plan as if I had not missed any time or should I make some changes to account for having missed some sessions?

Key sessions I've missed are:

11 Miles with 6 @ Tempo, 20 Mile Long Run, some Medium Long Runs (14,15,13 etc).

Not worried about missing the MLR, done a load of them, loads more of them to be done. The tempo is gone now I think. There is another tempo in 2 weeks, 12 with 7 @ Tempo, so I think I'd just do the missed session there instead of the 7 miles.

For the 20 Mile run, I guess it just gets written off at this point. I won't be doing that much this weekend and the rest of the long runs are:

16 with 12 @ MP, 22 Miles, 18, 18 with 14 @ MP, 17,20,17,13, race.

I'm thinking of pretty much just following what the plan would have been had I not missed any time, does that sound reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good to hear it's something temporary :)

I would guess that with your great consistent training that the week and a bit lost won't affect things too much (don't have any advice on next week though ...).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

adrian522 wrote: »

I'm thinking of pretty much just following what the plan would have been had I not missed any time, does that sound reasonable?

Sounds reasonable but at the same time ho harm in reducing the intensity or length of runs the first week or two when you are getting back into it. You have roughly 66 days to go, that's loads of time. Don't push it too hard or you won't make the start line.

Look at the training you missed and try put it into context. It will amount to about 5% of your entire marathon plan. When I sit down and do out a training plan I hope that I can cover 90% of it. There will be days that you miss through sickness, work, tiredness, life etc. Just accept these and concentrate on what you have done and what you will do rather than what you haven't done. If you get to the start line healthy, this last week or so won't even register!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sounds reasonable but at the same time ho harm in reducing the intensity or length of runs the first week or two when you are getting back into it. You have roughly 66 days to go, that's loads of time. Don't push it too hard or you won't make the start line.

Look at the training you missed and try put it into context. It will amount to about 5% of your entire marathon plan. When I sit down and do out a training plan I hope that I can cover 90% of it. There will be days that you miss through sickness, work, tiredness, life etc. Just accept these and concentrate on what you have done and what you will do rather than what you haven't done. If you get to the start line healthy, this last week or so won't even register!

Thanks, It doesn't seem too bad when you put it like that. I've found it very frustrating with the days ticking by and no training being done, but up to this I don't think I'd missed any runs so hopefully won't have too much of an impact.

I'd been planning on running the Rock n Roll half as a MP session on August 2nd, may be worth dialling that back a bit I guess. I'll see how the rest of the week goes first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Good to hear it's something temporary :)

I would guess that with your great consistent training that the week and a bit lost won't affect things too much (don't have any advice on next week though ...).

I have nothing to add to this except to say delighted to hear you got to a physio AND that no permanent damage was done, hilly & TRR are both right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Firedance wrote: »
    I have nothing to add to this except to say delighted to hear you got to a physio AND that no permanent damage was done, hilly & TRR are both right.

+1 Good news indeed! Onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Great news, great contextual analysis and great attitude :) Onwards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    +1 Good news indeed! Onwards.

Haha jinx :D

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

I'd been planning on running the Rock n Roll half as a MP session on August 2nd, may be worth dialling that back a bit I guess. I'll see how the rest of the week goes first.

Don't put any time frame on things. I like to do the following

1) first thing in the morning test: Is my leg sore when I get out of bed. If Yes do nothing. If no proceed to point 2.

2) Gentle jog outside the house test: Gingerly run down the road (~100 metres) and back. If leg is sore stop. If not sore move onto step 3 (following day).

3) local loop test. Assuming you still pass test number 1, find a local 5k loop and try a handy run. If leg is sore, stop and walk home. If ok complete 5k and move onto step 4.

4) Multiple local loop test. Assuming you pass test 1 continue with step 3 building up time on feet by 10-15 minutes a day.

Sounds good, probably just what I need. This week I would have passed 1 and 2 no problem, it was only on the 3 mile run I got into difficulty, but hopefully the massage this morning and the extra few days rest will sort that.

I guess it's time for an update. Confession time (please don't hate me). Motivation was lacking last week, I did no core work, no flexibility work and no stretching, except for that prescribed by the physio, so only really worked on the troublesome calf.

The Physio was confident I'd be back running fairly soon, I was less confident and as a result I found it hard to read about everyones training and race results. In truth I was pretty frustrated with the whole thing and I found it hard to visualise the race in September.

Anyway, I did what I was told, rested, stretched, did the exercises etc.

To keep myself sane and also to try and maintain some fitness I carried on with the cycling:

Thursday

After work cycle, Loop of Howth via Malahide

These after work trips take a bit more out of me than the weekend ones, tough going as didn't make time for food. Nice route though and some nice climbs, felt strong for the most part until towards the end.

38.3 Miles in 2:31:06

Saturday

Long Cycle, Blessington Lakes Loop

This was very enjoyable, great day, headed out from Rathfarnham up towards Bohernabreena, very steep climbs for the first few miles. Headed along the backroads towards Manor Kilbride, and on towards the Lakes, taking a stop in Blessington, then back via Rathcoole and Saggart.

Didn't find this as tough as I thought I would, maintained a good speed and felt I could have gone further if required.

56 Miles in 3:40:46

As far as running was concerned I decided to put TRR's method to the test:

Saturday, 100 meter jog to the end of the road, trouble free. Almost afraid to go any further in case bad things happened.

Sunday, nice bit of rain, headed out to do 3 miles. Kept it slow, didn't feel pain as such but felt tightness or something. Not all that confident afterwards but stretched out well afterwards and all day today.

3.4 Miles @ 9:02 m/m

Today got out for a 5 mile run in the rain. Trouble free again, tightness still there but not really noticeable while running. Felt very good to be honest.

5.2 Miles @ 8:46

I'm happy with where I am for the moment, I'll try a slightly longer run tomorrow.

that sounds positive :) hopefully you're on the road back now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Glad to see some progress for you. Hopefully no more setbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Very good news adrian! Onwards and upwards for you!
    Fantastic cycling going on so great to maintain the fitness. You'll bounce back very quickly in running terms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You ok there Adrian?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

aquinn wrote: »
    You ok there Adrian?

Just neglecting the log :) Training away nicely !

Yes, still here, need to update the log, I guess...

After the 5 easy miles on Monday the plan was to gradually increase it back up to what I had been doing. Probably not gradual enough (or at all) but here goes

Tuesday:

9 Miles easy (Original plan had a double of 6 and 4)

Went out with the idea of doing 7, but felt good so did 9. No issues with the injury, apart from a small bit of tightness.

I decided it may be a good idea to get another massage done as apart from the calf other areas feel tight probably as a result of all the cycling and neglecting the stretching over the last few weeks.

Wednesday

13 Miles MLR (Plan had 15)

Probably a bit much here. My aerobic system felt fine but my legs were seriously complaining on this one, it was a bit of a struggle from the off.

While cycling may keep the aerobic system ticking over I think a little but of leg strength is definitely lost. The 9 miles the previous day probably needed more recovery.

Anyway I struggled to 13 but it wasn't pleasant. Hopefully the run will bring me on a bit.

Thursday

6 Miles Recovery

Very nice run here, late evening, easy recovery run. Hoping things are back on track at this stage and massage scheduled for Tuesday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Focks sake, you've done more than I have all week.

Well done, great to see you back and going well.

Nice gentle reintroduction to the plan there Adrian :eek: Take it easy would you! There's loads of time left, really, there is.

Friday

Plan had a 13 mile run but didn't want to push things so had planned on 10ish. The route was primarily uphill for the first half. This seemed to aggravate the calf a little bit and after about 3 miles I felt a familiar twinge. Wasn't sure if this was just a bit of tightness or something more serious but in the interests of safety I decided it would be best to cut the run short.

Problem being I was 3 and a half miles from home so a long walk in the rain ensued, but I think I was right to bail on the run. I'm not sure where I am with the injury now to be honest, I've brought the physio forward to tomorrow so wil have a better idea then. I suspect I just need a little bit more work on it.

July Totals

Frustrating month really, started well enough but things have ground to a halt in the time since.

Days Running|18/31
    Sessions|1
    Long Runs|6
    Races|0
    PB's|0

Month|2013|2014|2015
    January|7|0|191
    February|10|53|196
    March|7|111|207.9
    April|26|154|165.2
    May|69|121|219.7
    June|75|93|257.4
    July|67|212|151.2
    August|101|233
    September|85|261
    October|4|179
    November|13|28
    December|6|163
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1389.9

Sunday

Took Saturday off after the scare on Friday and on Sunday it was back to the Physio again. Went well, had some advice on what I should be focusing on in terms of strength and stretching, wasn't too sore afterwards so fit in a short run before dinner.

3 Miles @ 8:50 m/m

Went fine, no issues with it at all.

Monday

6.2 Miles @ 8:11 m/m

Late enough in the day when I went out but I was feeling good and went with a more steady pace. Good have gone further but taking it easy for a few days before increasing mileage too much.

Tuesday

8 Miles @ 8:44 m/m

Monday evenings run was possibly a bit too quick, no problem really but this one started out the same way but slowed it down in thee second half, partially being sensible, partially running out of steam.

Glad to get it done, hopefully represents a bit of progress.

Wednesday

5 Miles @ 8:58

Was thinking of doing a mini MLR tonight, sort of 10ish miles rather than 15, but as soon as I got going I thought that would be a bad idea, it will probably take a week or so to get back up to speed, also as above recent runs probably a bit fast to be doing in advance of a long run.

Anyway, really struggled through this, the legs not playing ball at all. Kept it at recovery pace so hoping will reap the benefits of this in the next few days.

No injury issues.

Thursday

Marathon Pace Tempo

This session is down as 10 Mile to HM pace and was due to be 7 Miles @ Tempo (12 overall). I'd want to be a good deal fitter to even contemplate something like this. This is actually the last tempo run on the plan so I guess my lactate threshold will have to stay where it is.

Anyway, I was talking to everyones favourite coach/Physical Therapist and was advised to aim for 30-40 mins at MP. So, 2 mile warmup then 5 miles @ marathon pace and just short of 2 miles as a cool down.

How did it go? Well the Marathon pace started out ok (I was going for 7:45 m/m instead of the 7:30 I'd previously been aiming for) but as it went on it was harder to maintain the pace. I did manage to maintain the pace but it was a lot harder then you would hope, the HR creeping right up towards tempo pace and beyond, into 10K pace range at times.

I guess all this is to be expected after missing so many runs so no panic and hopefully it brings me on a bit in terms of fitness. Feels good to get it done.

Plan will be recovery run tomorrow, 90 mins long run on Saturday and recovery run on Sunday. Hopefully that all goes ok.

Paces were:

8:49/8:43/7:41/7:39/7:47/7:44/7:47/9:18/9:17

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

so I guess my lactate threshold will have to stay where it is.

I lol'd at this. Runner humour :D
    I did manage to maintain the pace but it was a lot harder then you would hope, the HR creeping right up towards tempo pace and beyond, into 10K pace range at times.

Good on ya for toughing this one out. I doubt the weather is helping keep the heart rate down either.

Nice comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Good to see you're able to get some quality runs in again. If I were you I'd be very happy with that pacing for those 5 miles!

Delighted with the pace to be honest, no issue there at all. Ideally I'd like to be able to hold that pace at a lower HR but that will come over the next few weeks I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Friday

Recovery - 6 Miles @ 8:53 m/m

Waited till after work to get going on this Wasn't feeling the love but I guess the point of the recovery runs is to get you ready for the next key workout. After the marathon pace run the legs were certainly feeling it but got through it ok. Calf muscle was a bit tight so gave it a good stretch afterwards. Cycle home was a bit of a struggle!

Saturday

Long Run - 13.6 Miles @ 8:31 m/m

My usual route around the trails of the Phoenix Park though changed it to start and finish from the visitor centre and added on a little bit. I had thoughts of 15 miles but happy enough with this. No injury issue but I did struggle a bit, even from 8 miles onwards I was thinking about the finish. I'm sure I could have added on another mile or 2 but I'm happy to get this one in for now.

HR was well above what it should be again, decided to keep the pace steady rather than slowing down to hit the correct HR zone.

Met up with the novices afterwards, nice to meet I few of those and indulge in coffee and cake!

Advertisement