Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Any advice given/help from the sports massage? Sorry to hear this Adrian.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Yeah, got some advice/exercises to do etc. It's not a serious injury and it's not complicated to rehab it, just it's taking longer than I thought and it's a bit of a race against time at this stage.

I don't want to go to Berlin to just go through the motions or to plod along at walking pace. I won't write it off yet but certainly not looking good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sorry to hear that Adrian. Had you made any longer term plans, for after Berlin? It might be good to concentrate on that so regardless of whether you do Berlin or not you would have something to aim for. Really hope you do make it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

All I can say is that I know how you feel.

Best of luck with the recovery.

TbL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

chickey2 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Adrian. Had you made any longer term plans, for after Berlin? It might be good to concentrate on that so regardless of whether you do Berlin or not you would have something to aim for. Really hope you do make it though.

Not really, make Berlin or not I was planning on taking a bit of a down month in October, going to England for some of the rugby WC and then build back up again for November and see how I'm fixed.

If my number comes up in the London ballot I'd start training for that in the New year, If not I'm not sure.
    All I can say is that I know how you feel.

Best of luck with the recovery.

TbL

Thanks, not a great frame of mind to be honest but I guess if I could get a few weeks of solid training my confidence could increase dramatically. I just need to take it as it comes now I think and not try to rush things which is what have been doing up until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Tough luck Adrian.
    Hopefully you're back to it soon enough to do yourself justice in Berlin. If not, you can reap the rewards of your solid training in the near future.

Thanks P, just taking it one day at a time at the moment...Hopefully get some trouble free easy runs in before the weekend and just take it from there.

Well, here we go again. Last week was a bit of a write off. Mondays run was done before it started giving up after less than a quarter mile.

On Wednesday I felt good enough to go again, the first mile was actually fine but then a minute or two later that old familiar pain and a walk back home.

I'll admit that at this stage I'm getting very frustrated with the whole thing and not really motivated to keep up fitness with cycling or core work. Diet has been poor and many beers have been consumed.

Anyway with 4 weeks to go I'd have to say the chances of lining out are getting slimmer by the day. I guess if I got 4 weeks uninterrupted training I may give it a go but I don't think that's particularly likely.

I'll make a call on it in the next week.

Weekly Total 1.4 Miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Sorry to read about the injury frustrations. Hope you're on the mend soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

From personal experience be very careful with dropping your fitness levels and a poor diet, a couple of weeks of that and it's suprising how far back you will go.

Try and keep the fitness up, find something you like, I tried some boxing, but you need to see the big picture.

TbL

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll try and get out on the bike a bit more. The issue is in my head I'm always a few days away from getting back running so the procrastination is tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

That sucks, Adrian. Hope this week is better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Really sorry to hear this Adrian and +1 to chickeys advice. Having a longer term goal really helps to place incidents like this in their proper context...and also has the added benefit of helping you to maintain motivation ;) Holiday over, put the beers away :pac:

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Really sorry to hear this Adrian and +1 to chickeys advice. Having a longer term goal really helps to place incidents like this in their proper context...and also has the added benefit of helping you to maintain motivation ;) Holiday over, put the beers away :pac:

Thanks, good advice as usual. I'll need to make a decision on this soon, at least then I could put another goal in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

No harm at all scaffolding your goals over a two year period. For example (and I'm not sowing seeds that aren't already there ;) ),
    - work out your marathon progression: sub 3:30-3:10 over 2015 and 2016. Where and when?
    - plan the assault for the 3:10-2:55 attempts in 2017. Where and when?
    - slip in the faster stuff 5-10k pre-marathon training in each cycle. Work out the goals for these alongside your marathon targets.
    - treat yourself to some XC.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sorry to hear the bad news Adrian ... must be very frustrating. Especially as you'd been making such progress.

I'm in the place as yourself (though not the same pace!) for a good few weeks now & the cross-training is not as bad as I expected. Helped a bit in my case that I know running is defo banned for September, so I had to get stuck in or write off the fitness. But after a few goes I started to enjoy it to my surprise. I would have been happy to doss for all of Sept tbh :rolleyes:, but then the reconditioning would take soooo long after that.

Anyway if you can, it's maybe good to set some challenges in some X-sport, and keep the cycling going too.

Sorry to hear the bad news Adrian ... must be very frustrating. Especially as you'd been making such progress.

I'm in the place as yourself (though not the same pace!) for a good few weeks now & the cross-training is not as bad as I expected. Helped a bit in my case that I know running is defo banned for September, so I had to get stuck in or write off the fitness. But after a few goes I started to enjoy it to my surprise. I would have been happy to doss for all of Sept tbh :rolleyes:, but then the reconditioning would take soooo long after that.

Anyway if you can, it's maybe good to set some challenges in some X-sport, and keep the cycling going too.

Thanks! What sort of X-training are you doing?
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    No harm at all scaffolding your goals over a two year period. For example (and I'm not sowing seeds that aren't already there ;) ),
    - work out your marathon progression: sub 3:30-3:10 over 2015 and 2016. Where and when?
    - plan the assault for the 3:10-2:55 attempts in 2017. Where and when?
    - slip in the faster stuff 5-10k pre-marathon training in each cycle. Work out the goals for these alongside your marathon targets.
    - treat yourself to some XC.... :pac:

2:55? I think you are somewhat insane.

OK, my plan in my head was for 2015 - 3:2x
    2016 < 3:15 (BQ, London GFA)

And then try and do those 2 over the course of a few years. However it is hard to plan that far ahead.

I'd also like to do a proper cycle with a Half marathon as the goal. Potentially do that for the first half of 2016 assuming my number doesn't come up in the London Ballot.

XC? Not sure on that. seems like a bad idea at the moment but it may strengthen me up. Who knows.

So plans a little all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

I know how you feel believe me, but I echo the sentiments of the rest regarding the cross training. I got very lazy after my injury last August and done next to nothing for 4 months. Now I know you enjoy a nice craft beer the same as me but there a bitch for putting on weight, if you can cycle do so it will stand to you in the long run. Hopefully it's not as bad as it seems though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks! What sort of X-training are you doing?

Swim and bike, because that's what's allowed for a stress fracture. And the bike is sitting there to be used anyway. Finding the swimming much more interesting because I'm not great, and it's technical, so there are lots of things to improve, little goals to set etc :). So maybe if you can find something a bit new, might help give a bit of interest to keep you going ...

2:55 in time I am sure!

Wait for CM now :D

Adrian I'm again sorry to hear of another week of it not working out for you. I know you enjoy the bike and can easily rack up the miles so stick with it if you can.

• Advertisement

Will do yeah, just been lazy the last while really. Definitely going out on the bike this week if I'm not running,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Sorry to see your pulling the plug on Berlin, might be the smartest thing to do. Get the injury properly sorted and back into it for a Spring marathon.

Thanks, I guess you are right, wouldn't feel right going over to jog around or whatever but if it all comes together between now and then I may still be tempted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

just saw your post over on the Berlin thread, really really sorry Adrian :( I know its no consolation right now but you will recover & come back stronger for your next one

Adrian, saw the post too and am sorry. Can you defer and put it down as a 2016 goal?

I can cancel I think and they will refund any T-shirt or engraving/chip rental fees paid and then give me a €30 discount next year if I decide to go over again.

To be honest I've been putting off cancelling completely for a while and want to leave it as long as possible before cancelling everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

adrian522 wrote: »
    I can cancel I think and they will refund any T-shirt or engraving/chip rental fees paid and then give me a €30 discount next year if I decide to go over again.

To be honest I've been putting off cancelling completely for a while and want to leave it as long as possible before cancelling everything.

No harm in waiting a bit.

Don't forget to read the title of your log again!

Thanks all my very own #RSP.

Anyway, went out for an after work cycle yesterday and was aiming for 90minns but ended up being closer to 2 hours. I wanted hills and hills were what I found.

Only problem being that the road out to Enniskerry is being redone or something and is very loose gravel type surface for a fair bit but apart from that all good.

Continuing with the foam rolling etc. Leg seems to be getting a bit better. No running for the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Another commiserations post, sorry to read about this Adrian. My only advice is to still go if you have the flights booked. It's one of the best cities on Earth, might be good for some R&R. :)

• Advertisement

To be honest I'm only going if I'm running, if I'm not it would drive me mad to be there that weekend.

Advertisement