Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

adrian522 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm only going if I'm running, if I'm not it would drive me mad to be there that weekend.

Plus 1, to this. I couldn't go to Boston for a weekend when an injury meant I wasn't running, would have been in foul humour!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sorry to hear you've been hit by injury A. You've made some great progress over the last year. Hope you recover soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RedRunner wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you've been hit by injury A. You've made some great progress over the last year. Hope you recover soon

Ah bollox adrian. Just catching up here. That's a load of absolute sh1ght and you were going so well as RR says.
    Get well soon.
    You wouldn't look at another marathon later on in the year if this doesn't work out would you? Not sure what the options are in November/December but I'm sure there must be something you could target if you're back running injury free soon ...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thanks, not sure on a marathon this year, there are ones I'd consider, but I'd geared my holidays etc for after Berlin so I'm over and back to the rugby in OCtober and off to Chicago in Nov/December.

None of which rules out training just makes it more difficult.

At present everytime I go running the calf tightens up completely after about a mile, more physio needed.

Anyway, doing this 100km cycle around Dublin on Sunday.
    http://greatdublinbikeride.ie/

Will keep me sane anyway!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Whats going on here then? Not too much actually.

Been rehabbing, cycling and a little running.

Got the calf some deep tissue work last week, Thursday I think. We decided that no running for a few days after that, then to go back slowly, starting with just 10 mins of running and to reasses after that.

I had the 100km great dublin bike ride on Sunday so was happy enough to take a few more days off.

The cycle went great, really recommend it to anyone, great organization, atmosphere, food stops, nice route etc. Weather not perfect, but not too bad either.

One advantage to a long cycle over a long run is the recovery isn't as bad, you are not wiped out for the day.

Anyway, took Monday as a bit of a recovery day with just the cycle in and out of work. Tuesday, I went for my 10 mins run. Went well enough. Calf was a bit tight yesterday so did nothing for the day.

Today felt ok so I did a solid 2 miles at an easy pace. Went fine, I'll see how things are tomorrow but I'll likely take tomorrow off again with a view to building up to about 5 miles by early next week.

Baby steps but I'm still here.

As for a goal for the rest of the year, I'm thinking of the Stook 10 Mile on November 22nd, far enough away to get some sort of training done, comes a week before my holidays too so fits well into that schedule.

• Advertisement

4 Miles @ 8:54 m/m

Slowly and nervously increasing the distance. So far so good.

It's actually been 5 weeks of next to nothing. Very slow progress, like starting running again. Hopefully put up a decent week of 20 - 30 miles, and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

There you are :). Good stuff. Glad to see progress is being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Fwiw, I wouldn't worry about decency when it comes to mileage...plenty of time to build. Slowly slowly grasshopper. Great to see you back btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Welcome back Adrian and good luck with it... where/what is Stook?

annapr wrote: »
    Welcome back Adrian and good luck with it... where/what is Stook?

It's a 10 mile race down in Kilkenny. Never ran it but it has a great reputation as well as having a "Flying Mile". To the best of my understanding this mile is mainly (completely?) downhill, and they have a timing mat at the start and finish so you get a time for this mile as well as your overall time.

Sounds like fun anyway, and there is cake afterwards apparently.

Thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057494771

• Advertisement

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Fwiw, I wouldn't worry about decency when it comes to mileage...plenty of time to build. Slowly slowly grasshopper. Great to see you back btw :)

Thanks. Not worried about, I just mean I'd like to get back into some sort of routine of running 3 or 4 times per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

It's a 10 mile race down in Kilkenny. Never ran it but it has a great reputation as well as having a "Flying Mile". To the best of my understanding this mile is mainly (completely?) downhill, and they have a timing mat at the start and finish so you get a time for this mile as well as your overall time.

Sounds like fun anyway, and there is cake afterwards apparently.

Thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057494771

:D:D that's what caught my attention on the stook thread, see you there so..
    glad to see you're back at it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What they don't make so obvious is the 2 miles of serious climb before that!!
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/405407580

All good fun though!:rolleyes::D

belcarra wrote: »
    What they don't make so obvious is the 2 miles of serious climb before that!!
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/405407580

All good fun though!:rolleyes::D

Yeah, I kind of glossed over that bit.

Took yesterday off from running, was going to do a few miles but left it alone.

Wednesday

5.6 Miles @ 8:49 m/m

Just some very easy paced miles. I'm quite looking forward to Berlin being over so I can put it out of my mind. I'm finding my legs are struggling a bit on these runs, seem a bit sore , just getting used to it again.

I'll probably take tomorrow off and aim to go again on Friday.

I'm hoping after 2 weeks of these easy runs I'll be able to darken the door of sportsworld again and maybe do a parkrun or something in the next few weeks.

Scary achilles pain today. Left leg which is the one I haven't been having problems with. Never had this before and came on out of nowhere this morning while still lying in bed.

It's been bothering me all day, not sure what to do. I guess ice will be a good start but I won't go running this evening.

I think I'm cursed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Scary achilles pain today. Left leg which is the one I haven't been having problems with. Never had this before and came on out of nowhere this morning while still lying in bed.

It's been bothering me all day, not sure what to do. I guess ice will be a good start but I won't go running this evening.

I think I'm cursed.

If you were in Berlin, out doing a pre-race recovery paced run I'd say you were imagining it.
    Don't run on a sore achilles though. I learned that one the stupid hard way!

No pain today, hadn't intended to run but got the urge this afternoon so off I went...

6.1 Miles @ 8:55 m/m

I still feel a bit if tightness in my hamstrings and calves at times but feel I'm getting back to where I need to be.

Very jealous of everyone putting he finishing touches on their marathon plan at the moment. I'm not sure what I'm going to do to be honest, 50/50 on targeting a spring marathon, or waiting until this time next year.

No decisions yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

whew, glad you aren't cursed after all :)

Continuing with the 'running every other day' strategy.

6.2 Miles @ 9:02 m/m

All good, still seems like more of a struggle than it should but I guess fitness is slowly being built back up. It was quite warm out there today, wouldn't fancy running a DCM in those conditions. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Good to see you getting back into it. You know what they say: slowly slowly catchy monkey :)

Forgot to update this last night (I'm out of practice obviously)

Tuesday

5.2 Miles @ 9:14 m/m

Quite slow and a bit of a struggle. I had thoughts of doing a club session on Thursday but having struggled through 5 miles at easy pace that will have to wait. No run today, I'll just run easy again on Thursday.

Nothing the last 2 days, Wednesday was rest, Thursday was just laziness.

Today almost went the same way but went out around UCD after work before cycling home.

Friday

5 Miles @ 9:47

This was a real struggle. Hard to keep it up, hard to explain but wasn't really feeling it at all. I was thinking of doing a parkrun tomorrow but now not so sure. Maybe I just need a bit of a session to blow out the cobwebs, not sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Strides might do the trick? If that doesn't sound appealing, how about an unstructured fartlek run?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Strides might do the trick? If that doesn't sound appealing, how about an unstructured fartlek run?

Great idea!

Yeah something like that may be a good idea alright.

Took off Saturday and Sunday, was busy all day Saturday and hungover Sunday.

Monday

5.3 Miles @ 9:14 m/m

This was a good run. Yesterday had the feel of winter coming in, not that cold but wet and getting dark earlier. Headed out around 7.30 or so, and did one of my 5 mile loops. Went well, kept it easy but felt strong throughout for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Did I see you sign up to Prague HM next April??

Potentially doing it yeah, a few from the club are going over but not certain yet. Seems to be €56 entry which is a bit steep, a more €€€ if you want a T-Shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Shocking price for a HM, not even with a t shirt.

Advertisement