Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The T-shirt is extra. Seems crazy prices..

Race €56
    T-Shirt €20
    Insurance of registration fee €5.60
    Accidental insurance €2
    Medal engraving €6
    Adopt a Tree €10

All optional from what I can gather, but I'd probably just pay the race fee.

On the other hand the Barcelona Marathon entry right now is just €61 including the T-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

adrian522 wrote: »
    The T-shirt is extra. Seems crazy prices..

Race €56
    T-Shirt €20
    Insurance of registration fee €5.60
    Accidental insurance €2
    Medal engraving €6
    Adopt a Tree €10

All optional from what I can gather, but I'd probably just pay the race fee.

On the other hand the Barcelona Marathon entry right now is just €61 including the T-shirt.

Adopt a what now?! :D that's the funniest thing I've ever seen on a race reg.

Barcelona sounds much more interesting and you get a 'free' tshirt :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Firedance wrote: »
    Adopt a what now?! :D that's the funniest thing I've ever seen on a race reg.

Barcelona sounds much more interesting and you get a 'free' tshirt :cool:

I think its a charitable donation of €10 essentially.

Tuesday

Club Session - 5.2 Miles @ 9:17 m/m

Ventured down to the club last night. Had the following conversation several times.

"So, how did you get on in Berlin?"
    " I Didn't make it, was injured"
    "Sorry to hear that, Are you doing Dublin?"
    "No, not enough training done"
    "Ah Well, Always Next year"
    "Indeed, hoping to do something in the spring"
    etc.

All good but looking to move past all that now.

The session was a bit much for me just hit (involved hill sprints which is the last thing I needed so backed off on that bit) and did the whole thing at about 60% effort and finished it early, but was good to get this done as well I think.

Plan for now will be to continue with the easy running for a few days and maybe do something a bit faster over the weekend. Nothing too strenuous though.

No Running on Wednesday or Thursday.

Friday

5 Miles @ 9:01 m/m

Got a run in on lunchtime after bailing on a run on Thursday night. Wasn't too bad, nice to get it done on lunchtime.

Took Saturday off as well.

Sunday

7.3 Miles @ 9:02 m/m

This went well, longest run since August, and nice to get a longish run in again. 4 runs this week after 3 each of the previous 2.

Going well at the moment but don't want to push on too much.

22.9 Miles for the week.

• Advertisement

Monday - Another Rest Day

Tuesday

Club Session - 6.7 Miles @ 9:22 m/m

1.6 Miles Easy @ 9:18 m/m
    4 x (600m/200 Recovery/800m/90 Secs Recovery)
    1 Mile Recovery @ 10:37 m/m

1st set was backwards with the 800 first then the 600. Anyway the times were as follows:

Set|600m|800m
    1|2:28|3:32
    2|2:31|3:23
    3|2:38|3:20
    4|2:38|3:21

All good, not completely flat out, but about 80% effort all the same. Good session and the first proper session in months.

Bit of a catch- up required here..

Wednesday - No running, wanted to take a day off after the session as it was the first one in a while and I put of effort into it (if not totally flat out).

Thursday

Club Session - Fartlek - 8.7 Miles @ 8:38 m/m

This session was good, I ran from the house to the clubhouse and back which adds about 3 miles onto the session and makes for a little extra warmup/cooldown.

Started with 3.3 Miles easy, around 8:47 m/m. A bit too fast on the way to the club house, met one of the faster guys and just ran with him.

The session then is 2 laps around Rathfarnham, going 1 minute hard, one minute easy. So 30 mins in total (15 easy, 15 hard). Tough but manageable session, put in as much or as little effort as you want.

Finished up with 1.5 Miles cooldown at around 10:08 m/m

Friday - Another day off, didn't want to force things too quickly.

Saturday/Sunday - In Cardiff for the rugby, didn't go well on the field with 2 games being fairly one sided and no time for running either, so no training at all over the weekend.

Monday - 5.4 Miles @ 9:32 m/m

Forced myself out the door last night for some easy miles to blow off some of the cobwebs and get things going again after too many days off, it was fine nothing really to report.

Tuesday

Club Session - Hills and Sprints - 5.5 Miles @ 9:14 m/m

Not too bad this one. Involves 1 sprint on the flat of about 45-50 Seconds, jog back recovery, then a Hill sprint of about 1 minute, then jog back down, then repeat.

I did 4 of these last time, 2 weeks ago, 6 last night. 8 seems to be what most people would do, I left it at 6 though and was happy with my evenings work.

Had to give up on the parkrun this morning due to the calf tightening up. This was the left calf, which was the initial injury I had in July not the right one which has caused problems more recently.

I'm not sure when I'll be logging or running again if I'm honest, I'm away for 3 weeks anyway so it won't be soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

You're back! I see you posting. How are you getting on? Have a good holiday and how's the calf?

• Advertisement

Indeed. Well, I had a good holiday but no running really. Had a few short runs over the last week or so, went to Physio again. SO hopefully things will improve from here.

I'm away again for a week or so from tomorrow, not sure how much running I'll get done, hopefully some. Hope to get into proper training again once I get back in early December.

John Treacy 10 mile at the end of January is something of a target now.

Indeed. Well, I had a good holiday but no running really. Had a few short runs over the last week or so, went to Physio again. SO hopefully things will improve from here.

I'm away again for a week or so from tomorrow, not sure how much running I'll get done, hopefully some. Hope to get into proper training again once I get back in early December.

John Treacy 10 mile at the end of January is something of a target now.

Welcome home, Cuba was it? My finest online stalking ;)
    Where is John Treacy on? Might give that a bash.
    Physio have good news and slowly ease back in?

aquinn wrote: »
    Welcome home, Cuba was it? My finest online stalking ;)
    Where is John Treacy on? Might give that a bash.
    Physio have good news and slowly ease back in?

Yep Cuba, Fantastic country, highly recommended. The race is in Waterford, Dungarvan I think. I assume its sold out at this stage though, not really sure.

Yeah, Physio said to run easy for a week or 2 and then maybe 1 session per week.

I'll see how I go, if I get another recurrence, I'll look at going to someone else I think. This is going on since July FFS.

Yep Cuba, Fantastic country, highly recommended. The race is in Waterford, Dungarvan I think. I assume its sold out at this stage though, not really sure.

Yeah, Physio said to run easy for a week or 2 and then maybe 1 session per week.

I'll see how I go, if I get another recurrence, I'll look at going to someone else I think. This is going on since July FFS.

I've been but made the horrible mistake of staying in a resort, was awful within hours. Completely trapped in the middle of a resort with nothing to do. Should have explored and gone traveling but didn't suit companion so only escaped for one night. Resort life doesn't suit me. All food and drinks tasted the same. Very claustrophobic place for me.

See AMK got cortisone shot as they couldn't find anything wrong on MRI.

aquinn wrote: »
    I've been but made the horrible mistake of staying in a resort, was awful within hours. Completely trapped in the middle of a resort with nothing to do. Should have explored and gone traveling but didn't suit companion so only escaped for one night. Resort life doesn't suit me. All food and drinks tasted the same. Very claustrophobic place for me.

See AMK got cortisone shot as they couldn't find anything wrong on MRI.

Yeah, I didn't go near the resorts at all. Loads to do there, country is huge. Could have done with another week there!

Personally I need to get back to strengthening exercises. Heading to Chicago tomorrow though so that will come first!

Yeah, I didn't go near the resorts at all. Loads to do there, country is huge. Could have done with another week there!

Personally I need to get back to strengthening exercises. Heading to Chicago tomorrow though so that will come first!

Chicago! fantastic, enjoy, there are some beautiful running routes along the Lake. They had snow the other day though so not sure what the conditions are like.

I'm working under the theory that it'll be grand, no more snow scheduled for the time I'm there. I'll be down and back to South Bend, In while I'm there though so not sure how much time I'll have for running.

Any routes in particular to be recommend?

I'm working under the theory that it'll be grand, no more snow scheduled for the time I'm there. I'll be down and back to South Bend, In while I'm there though so not sure how much time I'll have for running.

Any routes in particular to be recommend?

I've run the lake around Linclon Park (some lovely little boardwalk paths through the park conservatory too) also down around Grant Park / Shed Aquarium. The views when you run with the lake on your left, the park on your right and the skyline of Chicago in front are stunning, although they're equally stunning coming from the other side! To be honest any of the lake shore trails are lovely to run on. Not familiar with South Bend, google maps is putting that 20 miles outside the city is that right?

Firedance wrote: »
    I've run the lake around Linclon Park (some lovely little boardwalk paths through the park conservatory too) also down around Grant Park / Shed Aquarium. The views when you run with the lake on your left, the park on your right and the skyline of Chicago in front are stunning, although they're equally stunning coming from the other side! To be honest any of the lake shore trails are lovely to run on. Not familiar with South Bend, google maps is putting that 20 miles outside the city is that right?

Further I think. 100 miles or so. Thanks for the advice, I'm staying near Lincoln Park so hopefully I can get some running in.

So, how is everyone. It's been a while.

Since we last spoke there's been a bit of a layoff and slowly getting back to business.

While over in the US for 10 days or so I managed 2 or 3 runs but I was finding a lot of foot pain after running so needed to get that sorted.

After coming home and a visit to the physio I started to do some rehab but also very slowly started to return to the running .

Fitness has returned to zero. In early December in the US it didn't seem too bad but now I'm as unfit as I've ever been I think. I'm struggling through runs in 9:45 or 10:00 min pace but HR is elevated and it feels very very difficult.

I'm trying to take enough recovery time between runs and not to rush things but it is difficult.

So far its looked like this:

December 23rd 3 Miles @ 9:54 - HR - 153
    December 28th 4 Miles @ 9:23 - HR - 165
    January 3rd 4 Miles @ 9:47 - HR - 155
    January 5th - 5 Miles @ 10:10 - HR - 159
    January 9th - 5.4 Miles @ 9:43 - HR 164.

For reference a normal easy paced run should have a HR of about 140-150

Overall plan will be to continue running every other day over the next while with an aim to race Ballycotton, hopefully under 80 mins all going well.

I'm registered for John Tracey at the end of January but it looks like that will come too soon for me at this stage.

Anyway, hopefully back to logging my runs here at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck with the recovery Adrian. That fitness will come back, easy does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Welcome back!

yes welcome back and the best of luck with the rehab & recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck with the rehab and return-to-run Adrian.

Don't worry about the paces for now I think (though I'm *shocked* how slow I am at the moment, after a couple of months getting back into it. All the same it will eventually come back ...).

Well, have to start somewhere I guess...

Monday

5 Miles @ 9:57 m/m - HR 165

Not sure when I can realistically go back up to the club sessions. Not this week obviously. If you put any faith in the Garmin "Recovery Adviser" I should be taking 3.5 days off after this intense bout of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good to see you back, Adrian, even if it is a slow comeback... Taking it slowly will stand to you longer term.

Wednesday

5.3 Miles @ 10:16 m/m - HR 152

Very cold and very slow, probably more the sort of pace I should be running at but slowest run in many years.

Saturday

5.4 Miles @ 9:24 m/m - 166 HR

After 3 days rest, headed out for another 5 miler. Hadn't intended to go faster than recently but that's what happened and the higher HR reflects that.

Another week of these sorts of runs at least before trying to introduce more sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi Adrian, good to see you back! Try not to stress about pace, your body is like a bear waking up after hibernation....slowly slowly wakee bear ;) Soon enough, your body will remember all the things you used to ask it to do but focus on building a solid base first. Sometimes you got to take the long way round to get there quicker. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Would you consider ditching the watch for a while? Run by time rather than distance.

• Advertisement

Hey, lets not blame the watch here! I could always run by time, not sure how much difference it would make to be honest. I'm actually not that bothered by my pace at the moment but I do like to keep track of it for signs of progress.

Advertisement