Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

adrian522 wrote: »
    Hey, lets not blame the watch here! I could always run by time, not sure how much difference it would make to be honest. I'm actually not that bothered by my pace at the moment but I do like to keep track of it for signs of progress.

Fair enough, just got the vibe that the paces of times gone by might have been playing on the mind a bit. Totally get the wanting to keep track of stuff and monitor gains but if it's a case of commentary rather than concern then fine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'm just trying to hit 3 runs per week at the moment and take it from there, not overly bothered by the pace but I would of course like to see some improvements.

By the way, what are you doing up at this hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

I'm just trying to hit 3 runs per week at the moment and take it from there, not overly bothered by the pace but I would of course like to see some improvements.

By the way, what are you doing up at this hour?

Ah just shooting the breeze - isn't that what everyone does at 5 of a Sunday morning;)
    Btw also have a bib for Dungarvan which I more than likely won't be using.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ha, 1 week, no updates.

My strategy of 3 weeks of 3 runs per week is at an end. for next week I'm going to try to get down to one of the club sessions and try to introduce a recovery run in place of a rest day.

Monday

6.2 Miles @ 9:41 m/m - HR strap not working!

Decent enough, only realised afterwards that none of my devices were pairing with the Garmin, so no HR data.

Wednesday

6 Miles @ 9:24 m/m - HR - 156

Good run here though I could feel a bit of shin splints etc so need to stop slacking off on the exercises.

Sunday

8 Miles @ 9:30 m/m - HR - 159

Good run, struggled a bit initially but fine once I got into it. Longest run since October 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Just catching up with the log Adrian, sorry to hear about the injury. Don't worry the fitness will come back to you just take it slowly.

• Advertisement

Monday

Ultra Slow Recovery Run - 3 Miles @ 10:47 - HR 141

Very slow recovery run last night. Was feeling it a lot on the outside of the Shin, think I'll be taking today off from running. Of course nothing to do with the weather outside!

Wednesday

5 Miles @ 9:33 m/m - HR 159

Lunch time run, got hit with some weather towards the end but not too bad for the most part. Found it a bit of a struggle at times. If I'm honest I'm a bit disappointed at how long it is taking to get back to the fitness level I used to have but it is coming back slowly.

I've officially bailed on the John Tracy 10 Mile. The tight feckers wouldn't give me a deferral for next year and were none too polite with the communications (unlike Tullamore HM and Stook/Gowran who were very accommodating).

Anyway I may consider hitting the club tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

you'll get there Adrian, just don't push to hard too soon it'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Great to see you are back running again Adrian. Fingers are crossed for you.

Friday

6.1 Miles @ 9:36 m/m - HR - 155

This was good, most enjoyable run for a while. Almost felt easy. Almost.

Still haven't made it down to the club but its looking good for next week.

• Advertisement

Sunday

9 Miles @ 9:32 m/m - HR 158

Stretched out the long run from 8 to 9 miles. Bad day for it with the wind and rain quite strong and to make matters worse no protection from either up in Tymon.

Went well I thought, struggled through the last mile, but isn't that always the way in long runs.

So there goes January, started with zero fitness and I've no progressed to very little fitness.

Still no sessions done, next week is a possibility but don't want to rush it, won't go on Tuesday anyway.

January Totals

Haven't done this in a while, it won''t make for pretty reading but I've got to start somewhere.

Days Running|13/31
    Sessions|0
    Long Runs|2
    Races|0
    PB's|0

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016
    January|7|0|191|73.5
    February|10|53|196|
    March|7|111|207.9|
    April|26|154|165.2|
    May|69|121|219.7|
    June|75|93|257.4|
    July|67|212|151.2|
    August|101|233|132.7|
    September|85|261|31.6|
    October|4|179|63.6|
    November|13|28|17.5|
    December|6|163|21|
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1654.8|73.5

Tuesday

5.3 Miles @ 9:04

Went back down to the club thinking there wouldn't be much of a session after Raheny. Wrong. Hills and sprints.

Thought I'll give that a miss, there was another group doing a steady run so I jumped in with them but they're all a good bit faster than me even when I'm fully fit, so I was on my own for a bit of this.

Worked out at an easy warm up of 1.5 Miles, and steady 2 miles and then an easy 1.5 to finish.

Happy enough to get through it but I'll be taking it easy enough the next few days I think.

Thursday

Club Session - Kenyan Fartlek

So this session is 2 laps of a little under 2 miles each. The session is one minute hard one minute easy. Repeat. For the first lap I did it as normal, not pushing 100% but hard enough. The second lap I took it a lot easier, but still did the 1 min pick ups.

Glad to get through it and I'm counting it as a session, even if it wasn't the most intense session of all time, first one since late October.

Total 6.2 Miles.

Saturday

6.1 Miles @ 9:33 m/m

Took yesterday off, in the hope of doing an easy 6 today with a longer run tomorrow. I guess I wasn't fully recovered for today because it seemed tougher than it should have done.

It's a slow process this regaining fitness but I still think I'm doing ok. I'll see how things feel tomorrow but I don't think I'll be doing 10 miles, maybe a short run, maybe no run. Maybe a cycle.

Go Panthers!

Sunday

6.1 Miles @ 10:12 m/m

Slow one this evening, was tempted to do more heading out but settled for 6 or so really slow, easy miles.

Weather didn't help much, wind was very strong in places and rain was pretty constant,

Weekly Total 23.8 Miles

Oh Dear, No running since Sunday.

Monday, Rest day, not really needed but up to all hours watching the superbowl but I'd have preferred to have done 10 miles on the Sunday if I was taking a rest day on Monday.

Tuesday, Attempted to head out at lunch but bailed out at the last minute for no reason in particular. Bad. Evening I went to the Physio, good session there,hopefully get a sports massage once every 4-6 weeks to keep on top of things , this one was mainly on calves though.

Wednesday, Again couldn't get a run in at lunchtime but should have done. At Suede in the Olympia then last night. 3 days no running.

Thursday

Club Session - Steady Run 6.2 Miles @ 8:43 m/m

Went down to the club for this, was supposed to be 1 min hard/1min easy but I made a mess of setting up the intervals on the watch, set it to 1 mile rather than 1 min so just ended up doing it at a steady pace, but I guess no harm in that either.

Went like this I think:

Warmup: 1.8 miles @ 9:09
    Session: 3.8 Miles @ between 7:50 and 8:30 m/m
    Cool Down: 0.6 Miles @ 9:41

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Oh Dear, No running since Sunday.

Wednesday, Again couldn't get a run in at lunchtime but should have done. At Suede in the Olympia then last night. 3 days no running.

Too much Still Life going on here, I think it's time you get off your Pantomime (high) Horse and start pounding The Asphalt World.

:D:pac:

Been getting pretty Lazy alright, I better get Moving because I've a big race Coming Up in a small town By the Sea.

I'll stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Animal Nitrate.

... am I doing this right?

• Advertisement

Saturday

10 Miles @ 9:46 m/m

This wasn't great. Pretty much uphill for most of the first half. Trying to keep it easy but working harder than I should have been. Last 2 or 3 miles were a real slog.

I was struggling to keep my HR out of the red zone to be honest, even running 10+ min miles towards the end.

Not really seeing any progress in terms of fitness. I've a race in 3 weeks and at present my only goal is to not have to stop and walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

What's the purpose of the race? Is it to set a marker for where you are currently or....?
    My dad surprised me recently. He asked me what my long run was at the mo. I replied 'oh only about 75-80 mins, my foot tends to give up about then'. He replied 'that's ok, anything over 60/65 mins is a long run, that's what I meant by a 'long run'.' 10 miles seems a big jump. Maybe pull back until you are completing each run comfortably?

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    What's the purpose of the race? Is it to set a marker for where you are currently or....?
    My dad surprised me recently. He asked me what my long run was at the mo. I replied 'oh only about 75-80 mins, my foot tends to give up about then'. He replied 'that's ok, anything over 60/65 mins is a long run, that's what I meant by a 'long run'.' 10 miles seems a big jump. Maybe pull back until you are completing each run comfortably?

Good advice as usual A. Not sure what the purpose of the race is, what's the purpose of any race, I guess to measure progress.

Entry and bus down is all paid up do I'll be heading down one way or the other.

I didn't think 10 miles was that big a jump to be honest having done 8 and 9 miles in recent weeks, though nothing last week.

Might just be a case of a bad run or insufficient recovery. Who knows.

Taking tomorrow off, easy running Monday. I'll see after that.

Monday

5.3 Miles @ 9:55 m/m

Very cold and very slow. Not much else to say. Wanted to keep it super easy so as not to be fatigued for the session tomorrow. More like a recovery run I guess.

Tuesday - Club Session

4 x 0.7ish Miles

Nice Session, started with a warmup and some strides of about 1.2 Miles.
    Then 4 laps that are each about 0.7-0.8 Miles with 2 mins recovery. It starts with fairly step hill then levels out and gradually downhill back to where you start.

Did these in about 5.50-6 mins each. This is about 7:30-7:40 pace. The last lap I somehow paused my garmin while running it, so thats a bit messed up.

Finished up with a 1 mile cooldown jog.

Total about 5.5 Miles.

Wednesday

Recovery Run - 4 Miles @ 10:00 m/m

Just a short recovery run this evening, followed by a little foam rolling. Kept it slow, pretty cold out there but not too bad otherwise.

Thursday

Club Session - Fartlek

Same session as the last few Thursdays, the idea is you go hard for 1 min then easy for 1 min, I like the session because you can make it as hard or as easy as you like.

I'd eaten a little too close to this so was getting bit of a low blood sugar buzz early on, but in any case I was finding it very difficult on the first lap so decided to just jog around at an easy pace for the second lap.

Overall not too bad, not a great session but enjoyable nonetheless.

Total something like 6.3 Miles. Overall pace is pretty meaningless but was 9:31 m/m

Sunday

Long Run 10 Miles

Took Friday as a rest day. Felt a bit of a sore throat coming on so took Saturday off as well. Headed out along the ring road in Kilkenny for this long run.

Kept it as easy as I could in an effort to learn a lesson from last week . the wind was fairly strong at times but not worrying about pace and just keeping the effort easy got me through it .

No problems with the distance this week. One more long run before Ballycotton.

31.2 Miles for the week.

Tuesday

Club Session - Hills and Sprints

Took yesterday off, I was going to do a few miles but decided to give it a miss St the last minute.

Anyway, tonight I ventured down to the club. The session is sprint of about 400 meteres, same recovery, then up a lengthy enough hill and jog back down. I did all this 6 times.

Happy to get through 6 reps of this, not quite all out but pretty close.

Overall 5.7 Miles @ 9.23 m/m

• Advertisement

Wednesday

60 MinsEasy @ 9:57 m/m

Wasn't feeling this at all. It felt harder than it should have done, I was going to go for 7 or so but left it at 6 with another club session tonight. I had thoughts of doing the paced mile in ALSAA but decided against it.

Advertisement