Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thursday - Attempted Session

Patricks morning session in Bushy Park. Warm up was fine, jogged up to the park and a lap or 2 warmup. The session was speed intervals, 600/400/300/200 or something similar.

Anyway, mid way through the first interval I can feel the calf tightening up, after this I drop out of the session and kust decide to jog around, however after a little while I need to give up on this too.

Same old injury it seems. Physio this evening. :mad:

Total - 4.5 Miles @ 9:16 m/m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Sorry to hear that. At least you are acting promptly on it so can be dealt with immediately. Let us know how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ah, what a shame Adrian :( Although, I did wince a bit mentally when I saw you did hills and sprints, especially after your 'possibly too much' gym work. Hopefully you can get on top of it with a physio visit now. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I would have thought 48 hours was enough after a gym session but with it being new maybe a bit more was needed? The H&S session wouldn't have been done flat out either.

Doing the club relay Saturday, then the gym Sunday was probably not the best idea, but again I thought the Gym would have been safer than a long run the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

FFS - sorry to see injury flaring up again Adrian. Fingers crossed for you.

• Advertisement

Thanks... I think I'll change the log title to plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck with the physio, Adrian. Very frustrating for you, so I hope it gets sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks... I think I'll change the log title to plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Hopefully you'll get to change it to the more positive Ça plane pour moi :pac::pac::pac:. Now I'm going to have Plastic Bertrand in my head all evening :rolleyes:

Not sure what that means but I should be back running next week hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Not sure what that means .

I always said you were an ignoramus.

• Advertisement

Yeah but you say a lot of crazy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ouch. Hope it's not too bad, Adrian.

seems ok to be honest. I'll need to stay aweay from the hills for the next week or so I'd imagine.,

1 step forward and 2 back at the moment. Physio, then a few days to let it settle down, then a run which lasts a mile or so then back to the physio for more treatment.

About to start my 3rd cycle of this, to be honest I don't feel any progress is being made, just going round in circles and running up huge bills .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Sorry to hear that Adrian :(

Yeah me too :( It really sucks. Sorry if I missed it but have you been for scans etc?

No, I've not been to do anything like that, do you think it would be worthwhile?

No, I've not been to do anything like that, do you think it would be worthwhile?

Only my opinion, but yes, I do, if you feel you have exhausted every other avenue. It sounds like you really need to get to the bottom of whatever is causing this calf thing. From that, you can fix and rehab it according to what is actually wrong and a scan might be the best way to get to the bottom of it.

Your training log was an absolute buzz this time last year and for sure, you didn't do everything *right* but your enthusiasm and enjoyment - and improvements - leapt out from every page. I think it's worth getting to the bottom of this.

Fwiw, I think Myles would be the best person to go to, to discuss the next step. I trust his judgement and expertise. I just wish he'd move his clinic more southwards :)

:mad:

Days Running|14/31
    Sessions|5
    Long Runs|0
    Races|1
    PB's|0

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016
    January|7|0|191|73.5
    February|10|53|196|104.1
    March|7|111|207.9|70
    April|26|154|165.2|
    May|69|121|219.7|
    June|75|93|257.4|
    July|67|212|151.2|
    August|101|233|132.7|
    September|85|261|31.6|
    October|4|179|63.6|
    November|13|28|17.5|
    December|6|163|21|
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1654.8|177.6

:mad: indeed. How are things now? Any developments?

• Advertisement

Well yes a little progress but no actual running. Hopefully a run over the weekend on Saturday or Sunday and then back to proper training from next week. The opinion seems to be tight hips causing problems elsewhere so just looking to address that in the first instance.

Been advised to avoid hills and long runs in the short term. Hoping to give the great Ireland run a go if all goes well between now and then. I appreciate there are hills in that race but hopefully should be ok to run it by then.

Cautious optimism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Well yes a little progress but no actual running. Hopefully a run over the weekend on Saturday or Sunday and then back to proper training from next week. The opinion seems to be tight hips causing problems elsewhere so just looking to address that in the first instance.

Been advised to avoid hills and long runs in the short term. Hoping to give the great Ireland run a go if all goes well between now and then. I appreciate there are hills in that race but hopefully should be ok to run it by then.

Cautious optimism.

Ah Adrian, yes that's a hilly course so do you not think you should skip it & follow advice? What's to be gained by doing it? I don't mean that to sound preachy or anything - more of an observation!

I agree. It will take longer than 10 days to build yourself up again. I'd stick with just the cautious for now. Take the longer term perspective...which means taking the longer route but overall safer route. Tbh, I wouldn't even advise racing for a couple of months. Get yourself on a level with training and go for the odd parkrun in six weeks or so. No huge rush is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Have you ever got tested for compartment syndrome? It can be nasty and chronic and might not be seen until an actual treadmill pressure test is done. Not saying it is that as I haven't a clue but it might be an avenue to explore and rule out as well.

Firedance wrote: »
    Ah Adrian, yes that's a hilly course so do you not think you should skip it & follow advice? What's to be gained by doing it? I don't mean that to sound preachy or anything - more of an observation!

Well the advice i got was that I could run it. Obviously all going well between now and then.

I guess what i would gsin is a fitness boost and a fitness assessment. Agree given its only 10 days away that I won't be claiming any pb or anything but there is benefit to it as long as I stand up OK to the 10 days between now and then.
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    I agree. It will take longer than 10 days to build yourself up again. I'd stick with just the cautious for now. Take the longer term perspective...which means taking the longer route but overall safer route. Tbh, I wouldn't even advise racing for a couple of months. Get yourself on a level with training and go for the odd parkrun in six weeks or so. No huge rush is there?

I've been advised that there should be no issue doing sessions next week so it would seem like not racing might be a bit over cautious but I guess you could be right.

I'm going to get back into running over the next week or so and see how it feels before making any decisions.
    El Caballo wrote: »
    Have you ever got tested for compartment syndrome? It can be nasty and chronic and might not be seen until an actual treadmill pressure test is done. Not saying it is that as I haven't a clue but it might be an avenue to explore and rule out as well.

Nope, never even heard of it. I'll have a read around and see what it is though to be honest the explanation I got last night for the cause makes a lot of sense to me.

Update, some rehab, strength work, flexibility etc.

No running from Saturday 26th March until Monday 4th April.

3 Miles on Monday

6 Miles Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

And, how did it feel? All ok? 6 miles long enough?

Seems okyeah. 6 Miles is enough for the moment alright.

So Last Week was something like...

Monday 3 Miles @ 8:49
    Tuesday 6.2 Miles @ 9:05
    Wednesday/Thursday - Rest
    Friday - 6 Miles @ 9:07
    Saturday - 3 Miles @ 9:17
    Sunday - 5.5 Miles @ 8:45

I'd also been spending about 15-20 mins every day on some hip mobility and then most days either some strength work (SL Squats/SL Deadlifts/Bridges etc) or Myrtl routine .

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Club Session - 6 x 600m with 90 Secs Recovery

Went down to the club this evening. Kept the effort to about 75%, did the 6 reps easily enough. No injury problems, did a good dynamic warm-up before and a good stretching Session afterwards.

Nice to get back into it a little bit.

Advertisement