Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I always loved doing that. Cold shock really helps. Ah the good old days.

Great you were ok racing. Mind yourself though with big jump from April to May mileage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wednesday

4 Miles @ 9:55

Some slow recovery miles on grass in UCD (mainly on grass anyway).

Thursday

6 Miles @ 9:45 m/m

Still in need of slow recovery miles apparently. Went down to the club session but jogged around for a total of 6 miles. I guess I'll be taking it easy for the rest of the week.

All not feeling ok?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No it's fine, Just still some tiredness in the legs from Tuesday night, and possibly not fully hydrated either.

Plan will be easy today and tomorrow and possilbly long run on Sunday depending on how I'm feeling in the aftermath of Forbidden Fruit on Saturday!

Friday

6.2 Miles @ 9.14 m/m

Run home from work, leaving the bike in work to be collected tomorrow. Very hot evening but good run home, starts with a bit of a climb to the goat pub than pretty much down hill, through Dundrum and down past church town.

Nice to run a different route for a change.

Saturday

6.3 miles @ 9.15 m/m

Same as Friday but in reverse. Strava measures it longer going the other way for some reason.

Could make this a regular thing on Friday and Saturday .

Sunday

12 Miles @ 9.21 m/m

I wanted to avoid the Phoenix Park with bloom on and the good weather so went up to Marlay Park instead.

It's a tough enough climb up there, and the lap itself is pretty uphill for half then down for the other half. I did 2 laps of the park then headed for home.

I did this on empty and was feeling the effects of this and the weather by the time I was getting towards the last mile.

All in all a good week. 40 miles and all easy running after the race on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

Monday

4 Miles @ 9:52 m/m

I wasn't going to bother with a run yesterday, but it was a lovely evening and I'd nothing else to do so did a slow recovery run, felt good, legs were fine.

Tuesday

Club Session - 6 x 800m

Went down to the club this evening. The session was 6 x 800m, all on grass. Went well. They were all between 3:21 and 3:35. I somehow managed to pause my watch on one of them so have no time for the 5th one.

I was kind of running out of gas on the last one.

Reps were 3:32/3:28/3:30/3:21/?:??/3:35

Total of 5.4 Miles.

Wednesday

5 Miles @ 9:15 m/m

Only had a small window to get this in after work before heading out. Thought I was going really slowly but but caught myself going too fast a few times. Probably due to the fact that I knew I was in a rush so was pushing on a bit much unintentionally.

Thursday

Progression Run

Didn't go to the club session. I wanted to do something tempo based so decided on this progression as it builds to 10K pace it seemed a good fit.

2 Mile Warmup, then 8 mins each at Steady/MP/HMP/10K pace and 2 Mile Cool down

to give 8 Miles in total.

Paces were 9:34/8:57/8:25/8:01/7:33/9:38

I based these paces off the recent race in Dunboyne. No problem with the Steady or MP, found the HMP tough to maintain and was pretty much flat out for the 10K pace finish.

Good enough session I guess.

Friday Off - After 10 days with at least a few miles I thought a day off was in order.

Saturday - 5.6 Miles @ 9:33 m/m

I was up early on Saturday for this. Went down to bushy park and went around the traditional fartlek lap as part of this. Had a little sprint on the uphill sections and also added in a few strides on the way home.

Sunday - 14 Miles @ 9:42 m/m

I was late heading over to the PP for this. The 5 mile was just over so was pleased to get parking. Met a clubmate who was finished her run, I was jealous.

I tried to keep this easy as was going 'on empty' again. I struggled with this a bit from mile 10 onwards, I guess the body still getting used to longer runs in a carb depleted state. In any case glad to get this one done.

Thinking back to last year I was a lot further along in terms of distance and paces in my training. Hopefully taking it a bit slower this year will yield some benefit.

Good week, 2 sessions, 42 Miles. Bit of a step back next week in distance terms at least. Small matter of a race on Saturday though.

Monday

4 Miles @ 10:42 m/m

I was pretty stiff after Sundays run. I spent a bit of time on Monday evening doing Myrtle and stretching etc. I headed out for an ultra slow recovery run late in order to help the recovery.

Felt good in the end but going out so late always results in me not getting to sleep when I'd like.

Tuesday

2 x 2 Miles @ HMP

Decided to go for a bit of a tempo run yesterday. The plan was for 10 Mile pace to HMP, 2 x 2 Miles. It went well and I didn't have any trouble holding the pace. I had thoughts of just doing 4 miles continuous as I was going along but thought better of it.

2 Mile WU @ 9:44
    2 Miles @ 7:38
    3 Mins @ 9:58
    2 Miles @ 7:50
    1.8 Miles @ 9:52

8.1 Miles in total.

Wednesday

6.3 Miles @ 9:08 m/m

First part of the commute. Left the bike in work and ran home the long way. It was really warm and sunny, wished I'd had a baseball cap or a pair of shades.

Thursday

4.7 Miles @ 9:31 m/m

And the run back into work in the morning. Somewhat shorter, through Bushy park, and down along by the river towards Clonskeagh. Both of these runs fairly easy.

Going to aim for 3 miles tomorrow evening with some strides with the race on Saturday.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Enjoy the beer! How did you get on??

OK, I guess. 46.25, even spits, good effort but a long way off my best form from 12 months ago. Great race as always

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's the beer?

It's northbound oak smoked Ipa. They do these 2 litre bottles in supervalu pulled off draft.

Very tasty beer actually and with a discount voucher came to €10 for 2 litres.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/northbound-34-oak-smoked/393701/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice one Must give it a try. I celebrated my PB with a Yellowbelly Castaway (passionfruit sour), among others. Amazing beer (if you like sour beers). Have to pick up lots more..

As long as the PB's keep coming I guess the beer can keep flowing .

I don't think I've ever had a passion fruit beer sounds interesting alright.

Friday

3 Miles @ 9:22 m/m

Usual pre race shakeout. 3 Miles easy, with 6 strides in the last mile or so. Whatever about anything else the build up to this means that I should be well rested and nutrition has also been good.

Saturday

Dunshaughlin 10K - 46.25 officially.

I arrived down early (leaving the rugby at the 60 min mark as it looked like Ireland had it well wrapped up :eek:) with plenty of time for number collection, chat and a decent warm up.

After this, up to the start line to line up. The weather was favorable, cloudy, not too warm, a gentle drop of rain. Plan was to go easy and controlled in the first mile and take it from there. I didn't want a repeat of Dunboyne where I ran out of steam in the last couple of miles and with the course profile here it pays to be conservative early.

Goal was to hit between 7:15 and 7:30 as an average pace. Dunboyne predicted a 47 min finish, but I was hoping to get closer to 45.

Once we were off I was concentrating on keeping it relaxed. 1st mile ticked by in 7:20, I was happy with this and I wasn't working too hard, so started to make my way through the field.

Race wasn't too congested and there was a good atmosphere, 2nd mile was 7:18, just trying to keep this going but the 3rd mile was slower, 7:30, probably due to dropping concentration. Hadn't really been checking the watch at all up to this.

Into the second half of the race and preparing for the uphill sections. Still felt good. Mile 4 was 7:18.

For the uphill sections I tried to keep it steady, slowing slightly but keeping a good pace. Mile 5 ticked by in 7:52. To be expected I guess.

Started to empty the tank at this stage and got through the last mile in 7:23.

Crossed the line in 46:25 (officially). 5km split was 23:12. So the first and second half almost identical which is very pleasing given the course profile.

Didn't go as well as I'd hoped but given Dunboyne was less than 3 weeks ago and I went through 5 miles in the same time I'd done in Dunboyne I have to be pleased with the progress since then.

The club came away with a good haul with a 5th overall and the 2nd Mens senior team.

14 weeks to go to Berlin so the focus will now shift away from 10K/5 Mile training however I'd still hope to run one of these as a tune up race in September so I'd hope to have another improvement by then

After a cooldown the total for the day is 9.5 Miles and the weekly total is 35.7 Miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done last night, possibly bit more in you if you ran even 5k splits as 2nd half is the tougher half in Dunshaughlin. Went to my local Supervalu looking for that IPA, no such luck though.

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done last night, possibly bit more in you if you ran even 5k splits as 2nd half is the tougher half in Dunshaughlin. Went to my local Supervalu looking for that IPA, no such luck though.

Yeah was thinking the same. But reminded of the jack Daniels (I think) quote

"It's always better to finish a race thinking you could have gone faster than wishing you'd gone a bit slower at the start"

Anyway I won't dwell on it. I'll just be using it to determine training paces for the next 4 weeks.

On the beer it could well be limited to that one store. They had 2 options the other was a wicklow Wolf brew. I think they are changing them again this week but I'll be staying away from the booze until after the mullingar 10 in July.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Shall see you in Mullingar.

tang1 wrote: »
    Shall see you in Mullingar.

Excellent, seems to be a very well regarded race anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Well done Adrian, great to see you moving in the direction you want to go! :) Here's to a successful marathon block for you!

Sunday - Rest (Scheduled)

Rest up after the race, had some beers watching sport and movies. Nice day.

Monday - 6.2 Miles @ 9:16 m/m

Easy paced run, legs felt good after the race no issues really.

Tuesday - 6.5 Miles @ 9:07 m/m

Went down to the club session but didn't want to jump into a session (1 day recovery per 2 miles raced is that it?)

Wednesday - Rest (Unscheduled)

Up and down to Kilorglin yesterday (hadn't realised I was in the office of one of the stars of boards A/R), back in time for the match, then dinner, a glass of wine and even a beer after the game. Had thoughts of 5 easy after the game but it never happened.

Thursday - 10 Miles with 6 @ MP

Session after work. Took this from the meno plan, which I am kind of following and kind of picking bits from other plans. The run went well but I was working a little too hard for my liking on the last 2 miles but may have been a bit fast but more MP miles will be required thats for sure.

Speaking of Meno, ran into the man himself down by booterstown. stopped for a bit of a chat, good to catchup for a few mins.

BBQ with work afterwards, was finished the run in time for some BBQ food and 0% beers.

MP Miles (somewhat reflecting the elevation) -

8:10/8:14/8:01/8:05/8:21/8:08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

adrian522 wrote: »
    Speaking of Meno, ran into the man himself down by booterstown. stopped for a bit of a chat, good to catchup for a few mins.

I ran past him on Wednesday and waved hello, he must be missing boards an awful lot to be out there stalking us all :)

adrian522 wrote: »
    Session after work. Took this from the meno plan, which I am kind of following and kind of picking bits from other plans. The run went well but I was working a little too hard for my liking on the last 2 miles but may have been a bit fast but more MP miles will be required thats for sure.

Eh, you of all people picking at a plan? NO, you pick a plan and stick with it. Adrian? :eek: :D

The time to choose a plan is getting close alright but I'll have to stay in touch with the club, doing my own thing for 3 months is not really an option and not something I'm interested in to be honest.

If I was to pick one I had to stick to it would be the BAA plan but that would involve a 5k/10k session, a HMP session and long run (sometimes with MP miles) every week.

I'm not sure that's best suited to me right now. For the moment I've been following the progression of the long runs in the Meno plan and also doing those sessions where possible.

To be honest being a slave to a plan is not what I want to do this time around. I did that last time and didn't really enjoy it (and it didn't prevent me from getting injured).

I've a pretty good idea in my head of what I'll be doing, I should document it up and see that it looks ok over the next week or so though.

Friday
    5.3 Miles @ 9:51 m/m

Pretty tired after the session on Saturday. Kept this one nice and slow, picked up a little bit for the last mile but overall this was a true recovery run.

Saturday - Club Championships

This is one of the highlights of the year for the club. In place of the usual track session at Tallaght its the club Championships followed by food and prize giving in the hall at Tallaght AC.

A big turnout ensures a quality field. It starts with a 1500m, followed by a 4 x 400m relay.

1500m went well, good effort but given the quality of the field I found myself cut adrift and running solo from early on. Still happy with the overall effort and time.

1500m in 05:57

This was followed by a 4 x 400m relay. I was given the second leg, which I was happy with. Took over in last place, but managed to make up 2 places on the way around. Somewhat disappointed in the time but not too bad overall.

400m in 83 seconds.

Total for the day including warmup and cooldown is 2.4 Miles.

Sunday

16 Miles @ 9:06 m/m

Long run Sunday. It rained, a lot. Most of these was run with club mates except for the last few. I upped the pace slightly for the last few miles.

Didn't go with the running on empty strategy for this, I think 90 mins is about the most I can do comfortably without breakfast.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday

Session - 3 x (4 x 400m)

It rained, a lot. Again. Club session, 400m repeats in Bushy park. Not too bad at all, good to keep in touch with the club runs and also with the little bit of speed work.

Wednesday

6.1 Miles @ 9:11 m/m

Just some easy miles on Wednesday evening. I managed to avoid the rain which made a nice change.

Thursday - Progression Run

Session:

20 Mins Easy - 9:23 m/m
    20 Mins Steady - 8:30 m/m
    20 Mins MP - 8:14 m/m
    10 Min HMP - 7:46 m/m
    20 mins Easy - 9:37 m/m

Good session here, was a working a bit to maintain the HMP at the end but glad to get through it, also good to get through 10 miles mid-week.

Overall a good few days work, though being critical the run on Wednesday was too fast and I should probably have eased back on the Tuesday session and run it at 5-10k pace rather than all out.

Anyway happy enough overall.

• Advertisement

Days Running|26/30
    Sessions|6
    Long Runs|3
    Races|1
    PB's|0

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016
    January|7|0|191|73.5
    February|10|53|196|104.1
    March|7|111|207.9|70
    April|26|154|165.2|74.9
    May|69|121|219.7|128.6
    June|75|93|257.4|183.2