Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Very sensible sticking to your own pace.

I saw a water stop on Chesterfield Ave today and was wondering what it was for as there didn't seem to be any races! That explains it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Monday - Rest Day

First day off after 20 days in a row running. Felt weird not to be going out, even for a short 4 miler.

Tuesday

5 Miles @ 9:01 m/m

Went down to the club but just did my own thing, with a slow easy 5 miles. Added 2 strides towards the end. Felt I had plenty of energy after the day off.

Wednesday

10 Miles with 8 @ MP

Classic taperrun. Felt really sluggish to start and couldn't get going at all. The first few MP miles felt ok but after around 3 or 4 of these I felt I was working a bit too hard and found the HR quite high. A bit worrying until you realise, 8 @ MP is still a tough enough run, plus the weather was quite warm yesterday.

One genuinely worrying thing was a side stitch I got towards the end of the run. I was working quite hard at that point but it is not a good sign 10 days before the race. No idea where it came from as I hadn't had one in years before last Wednesday, now 2 weeks in a row.

The joys of the taper.

|Pace|HR%
    1|9:01|68%
    2|7:56|80%
    3|7:52|82%
    4|7:49|81%
    5|7:47|84%
    6|7:51|85%
    7|7:55|86%
    8|7:50|88%
    9|7:58|87%
    10|9:45|78%

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thursday

5 Miles @ 9:29 m/m

5 Miles around UCD. A few niggles from the session but nothing major.

Friday

5 Miles @ 9:04 m/m

Easy 5 Miles after work. Still trying to come up with new routes around the same roads. Passed TomWaits48 as he was on a session as I was going as easy as possible.

Saturday

5 Miles @ 9:06 m/m

Easy miles around Bushy Park on Saturday morning. Getting a bit repetitive now. 2 strides towards the end!

Sunday

12 Miles @ 9:04 m/m

Usual route around PP on Sunday morning, Nice feeling to be easily knocking out 12 miles after all the longer runs. Last long run of the cycle, hit up the PP visitors centre afterwards for some soup and the "cake-like" substance they refer to as brown bread.

Nearly there now, just need to wrap myself in cotton wool for the week and avoid cars, buses, stairs etc. I do feel a bit of a cold coming on, time to kill that with vit-C!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

adrian522 wrote: »
    I do feel a bit of a cold coming on, time to kill that with vit-C!

Echinacea !! Take it now and don't stop taking it until you've recovered fully from the marathon. In fact keep taking it until Spring!

What the hell is that and is it better than the HTFU that' I'd already prescribed myself?

EDIT: Is this the stuff?

• Advertisement

That is the stuff. The brand I take is A.Vogel Echinaforce Cold & Flu Tablets available in the pharmacy. I find it great as a preventative measure and try to take it from around the time the weather starts changing and then all through the winter. Works well for me. Of course now that I've said that I will be struck down with the lurgy forthwith :rolleyes:
    Maybe it's all in my head as that research you linked to suggested there's no proof that it works but I guess you can only try it for yourself. I know a lot of people who swear by it, but you have to take it before it's a full blown dose.

I'll give it a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

You must have picked that cold up from Strava A - I had it last week !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Maybe it's all in my head as that research you linked to suggested there's no proof that it works but I guess you can only try it for yourself. I know a lot of people who swear by it, but you have to take it before it's a full blown dose.

Nope, I swear by it too, have supply at home and another in the office :D one sneeze and I"m dosing myself with it!!

Not sure it works on manflu though....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

All set and excited? Packed and ready? When do you fly?

All the very best Adrian.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    All set and excited? Packed and ready? When do you fly?

All the very best Adrian.

Trying to tone down the excitement at present, yesterday was a very stressful day in work, hopefully that will be the last of that.

Flying Friday evening, half day in work on Friday so will be going straight from the office to the airport.

I think I'm pretty well setup, training went well, no missed runs at all. Normal few niggles that you get in marathon training but nothing too serious.

Going for a massage after work tomorrow. Last few MP miles this evening.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Trying to tone down the excitement at present, yesterday was a very stressful day in work, hopefully that will be the last of that.

Flying Friday evening, half day in work on Friday so will be going straight from the office to the airport.

I think I'm pretty well setup, training went well, no missed runs at all. Normal few niggles that you get in marathon training but nothing too serious.

Going for a massage after work tomorrow. Last few MP miles this evening.

The very best of luck Adrian!!! go slay that dragon..... we'll be watching & cheering. :)

I have a good feeling about this one :D. Your training has been impressive, with any luck the marathon will be the easy part! Enjoy and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck Adrian, hope you have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck Adrian, have a great race. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Brilliant training cycle A. You should be feeling very confident. Can't wait to see how you do!!! Have a great trip and a fantastic marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great time in Berlin, looks like training went great and hopefully you'll reap the rewards. Will be stalking you on Sunday morning, do think of us as you pass over the timing mats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck Adrian, a year later than planned. Make it worth the wait ;)

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a good go. It's been a good training block already, but to be honest haven't been feeling great the last few days with a touch of a sore throat and a bit of a cold. Nothing too serious but not ideal prep either.

I'm hoping it will be cleared up by Sunday but in any case I'll be on the startline.

This week has been a bit chaotic in work. I've tried to avoid stress as much as possible but it had a tendency to find me instead.

Sleep has been very good, getting to bed around 10-10:30 every night this week, eaten well and should be in good shape.

Training this week has been the typical taper stuff. It's going to be weird come Monday as for the first time in a very long time I won't be focused on an upcoming marathon and have no running planned for days on end.

Monday

4 Miles @ 9:02 m/m

Easy run around the usual route, no drama here. No effects from the last long run either.

Tuesday

4 Miles @ 9:08 m/m

Down to the club session, did the warmup and then a few laps myself. All good.

Wednesday

5 Miles with 3 @ PMP

Last bit of faster running of the plan, 3 miles @ MP. Out in the wind and rian probably wasn't a great idea but hit MP easily enough and with a WU and CD mile, brings it to 5 for the day.

Thursday

3 Miles @ 9:06 m/m

Had the pre race rub down and the last easy run, so all set for the flight tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck Adrian. Here's hoping the cold is just a taper illness. Try not to breathe on the flight ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Probably normal enough to feel like ****e a few days before the off.

Best of luck on Sunday

TbL

Gargle with warm salt water for sore throat....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck Sunday, have a great race . Training has gone great so time to reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Best of luck Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

you've done great training this year, trust in it,be strong mentally and you'll get the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Best luck Sunday, hope all goes to plan, have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,871 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Gluck.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Good luck Adrian, manuka honey worked a charm for me with a sore throat in the week running up to Rotterdam. Enjoy the race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Good luck on Sunday. Hopefully see you after!

Advertisement