Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

That's gas my first time doing this race was 64 mins !!! Guess we have improved :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Monday - Off

Tuesday - 8 Miles @ 8:35 m/m

Wednesday - 9 Miles @ 8:36 m/m

Both of these runs were easy enough. Ideally I'd have been doing the session on Wednesday but wanted an extra easy day after the race. 8 and 9 mioles isn't all that easy but a nice compromise between recovery and slowly increasing the mileage.

Thursday - Tempo Intervals

This is a session from the Pfitzinger 10K plan. 12/10/8 mins at LT with 4 mins recovery jog in between. Tough enough session and I found it hard enough to hit the paces for the 2nd and 3rd intervals. Not too concerned as there was wind and inclines to use as excuses. And the previous few days in the legs. Happy enough with it overall. 9 Miles total.

Dist|Effort|Pace|Time
    2.5|WU|8:58|22:47
    1.7|LT|6:56|12:00
    0.4|Rec|9:32|4:00
    1.3|LT|7:11|10:00
    0.3|Rec|10:36|4:00
    1.1|LT|7:07|8:00
    1.4|CD|9:35|13:35

Friday - 3 Miles @ 9:01

Recovery, needed it.

Saturday - Club Session

This was supposed to be on the track but it was unavailable so Bushy Park instead, idea was 800m with 600m hard and then race effort pickup for the last 200m. Jog back to the start recovery, about 2:30 recovery.

1|3:15
    2|3:14
    3|3:15
    4|3:16
    5|3:16
    6|3:18

Happy with the session and a total of 7.5 Miles. 10 Weeks to go to Dunshaughlin (which I entered last night).

(Enter the Terenure 5 Mile if you haven't already!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Sunday 11 Miles @ 8:36 m/m

There's a lot of climbing and a lot of descending in this one. The loop of Bohernabreena Reservoir is a tough long run, but good for building endurance. I don't mind the uphill sections half as much as the downhill bits. Good to get it done and now to put my feet up for the rest of the bank holiday weekend. Probably.

Total for the week is 47.6 Miles.

I'm jealous of everyone gearing up for London on Sunday. I was jealous of everyone running Boston last Sunday.

I saw a debate on boards where someone was complaining about people wanting to get into to Boston "Because its famous". I would have thought it was because of the sense of achievement of hitting the BQ and also because it looks like a great race and a great experience.

They then went on to state that they'd much prefer to run New York. Which isn't famous at all obviously.

I don't have a point here other than I'd like to be running a marathon on Sunday.

Monday - Off

Tuesday - 8.2 Miles @ 8:26 m/m

Wednesday - 9 Miles @ 8:43 m/m

Found these 2 ok, legs feeling the effects of the increased mileage a bit and indeed of Sundays quick-ish long run. Quads and Calves complaining a little bit. Overall not too bad though.

Thursday - Club Session

9 Miles in total but really just 2 x 15 mins @ Tempo or close too it. With run from the house to Bushy Park and back bringing up the total miles to 9.

The paces on the intervals were 7:14 and 7:23. I was working pretty hard on these but couldn't really hit the paces I would have liked but I guess once the effort level was ok then the benefits will come. hard to know really.

Friday - 4 Miles @ 9:00 m/m

In 2 minds whether to carry on with the Pftizinger plan or swap in the sessions from the famous McMillan 10k workout thread. They look pretty tough to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 on that stupid Boston "debate". Can't say I'm jealous but certainly identifying with the spring marathon good vibes! You're going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The only time I ever have marathon envy is when I'm supporting Dublin. I'm usually over it by the next day :rolleyes:.

Agree with Murph, you're going well. Keep up the good work! Might see you at Trinity Track in June ?

Yeah hope to do that. It's 10 days before Dunshaughlin this year I think so it suits a bit better. Maybe a few cheeky beers afterwards too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    The only time I ever have marathon envy is when I'm supporting Dublin. I'm usually over it by the next day :rolleyes:.

Agree with Murph, you're going well. Keep up the good work! Might see you at Trinity Track in June ?

One on my list again. Loved it last year.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah hope to do that. It's 10 days before Dunshaughlin this year I think so it suits a bit better. Maybe a few cheeky beers afterwards too!
    One on my list again. Loved it last year.

See yis there! Cheeky beers sound good, especially if it's a sunny evening :D.

Saturday - Club Session

Track Session.

6 sets of (400m (with 200m jog recovery), 200m( 1 min Recovery))

Good session yesterday morning. I was up early so did around 3/4 miles warmup before the track session to give m 8 miles for the day.

The times for the reps were as follows:

Set|400m|200m
    1|1:26|0:39
    2|1:24|0:40
    3|1:24|0:40
    4|1:24|0:39
    5|1:25|0:41
    6|1:26|0:41

All within 2 seconds so happy with that.

Sunday - 12 Miles @ 8:20 m/m

Long run this morning. Steady enough sort of pace and a mile or 2 further than recently. A good run, though I think my HR monitor is fecked.

50 Miles for the week, with 9 weeks to go to Dunshaughlin.

Next week will bring a step in down in mileage to around 45, and a look at my progress with the Tallaght 5k on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Monday - 3 Miles @ 8:34 m/m

Just some easy miles from work down to Nicks Espresso for some coffee beans and back. Coffee Beans make a lot of noise when they are in the backpack! Good coffee in there though if you are ever in Ranelagh.

Tuesday - Club Session 5 x (600m/400m)

Club session, Had planned to add a few miles beforehand but never got a chance. Good session, 600m, 200m recovery jog, then 400m back to the start and 80 seconds recovery. Felt strong on these, I think the added volume has been of value. I could have went with another 1 but no more takers.

Rep|600m|400m
    1|2:15|1:42
    2|2:19|1:38
    3|2:17|1:39
    4|2:18|1:38
    5|2:15|1:40

Wednesday - 9 Miles @ 8:43

Usual mid week endurance run. Apparently a cornerstone of the "Faster Road Running Plans"

Thursday - 2 x (5 x 200m)

This session is from the plan. There a lot of sessions on the plan I haven't done at all, hill sprints, longer hill repeats and some of these speed sessions. I've been trying to mix club sessions and the prescribed sessions so not really properly following the plan. I did these in Eamonn Ceannt park of Sundrive road. Nice place for a session, met a club mate who was doing hill repeats. There's a club there too that seems to cater mainly to juvenilles and it also has a cycling track that seems always to be locked up. Anyway had a good 5 miles warm up then measured the 200m but may have been a bit short but close enough for what I wanted from this session. 200m jog after each rep with 4 min jog between sets.

Rep|Set 1|Set 2
    1|37|37
    2|40|38
    3|39|37
    4|38|38
    5|37|38

Total was 9.3 Miles.

Friday - 6.7 Miles @ 8:50 m/m

Squeezed this in at lunchtime on Friday. Legs feeling the effects of recent training a little bit. This was supposed to be a reccovery week. Oops.

Saturday - 7 Miles @ 9:04 m/m

A little bit of a hangover, 7 miles into work, incorporating 6 x 20 second Strides and then cycle back home again.

Sunday - 4 Miles @ 9:13 m/m

No Tallaght 5k for me, I'll be running the Leinster Masters in Gowran tomorrow so just a little leg loosener this morning, 4 Miles with 4 x 20 second strides. Kept it as easy as possible. Windy as all hell.

Total is 45 Miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck tomorrow!

Days Running|28/30
    Sessions|8
    Long Runs|3
    Races|1
    PB's|0

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017
    January|7|0|191|73.5|133.3
    February|10|53|196|104.1|165.9
    March|7|111|207.9|70|186.9
    April|26|154|165.2|74.9|203.2
    May|69|121|219.7|128.6
    June|75|93|257.4|183.2
    July|67|212|151.2|236.4
    August|101|233|132.7|279.7
    September|85|261|31.6|191.2
    October|4|179|63.6|106.6
    November|13|28|17.5|154.9
    December|6|163|21|151.3
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1654.8|1757.3|690.4

Good month here. Well on track for 2000 miles now. The race this month was the Great Ireland Run and for all the bad press it gets its a great workout for the legs. 45 seconds slower than the K-club which would be about right.

Been kind of following the Faster Road Running 10K plan, but also switing in club sessions where I can and that is working well I think, I feel fitter than 6 weeks ago in any case.

Dunshaughlin is 8 weeks away and I may try some of these mcMillan sessions that are so popular around these parts. I've a week in Spain next month which will probably see my fitness take a hit!

For May I'll possibly race at the very start and the very end. Gowran 6k tomorrow and the Dunboyne 5 mile towards the end of the month. 1 is a guaranteed PB and the other is a good chance of a PB too.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Thanks, have a feeling I'm going to be horribly out of my depth but whatever, I'll give it a good go in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I did these in Eamonn Ceannt park of Sundrive road. There's a club there too that seems to cater mainly to juvenilles

Dublin Striders afaik

Leinster Masters Road Race, Gowran, Co. Kilkenny

I was asked to run this on Tuesday night. From the conversation I thought we would be struggling for numbers but as it turned out we had 16 in the Mens Masters race.

This has a bit of a cross country feel to it. There was a great atmosphere at it, 4 laps of 1500m each incorporating a fast down hill start and then a couple of hills and back around for a bit of a downhill finish.

I started out at the back of the field intending to hold something back on the first lap. I started to up the pace after around 500m though. I was moving well and it didn't seem too tough.

I knew from before hand that a Mcmillan equivalent of a 20 min 5k was 6:30 pace for this 6k effort. So that was my target. At some point on the second lap I noticed my average pace was 6:24. I was working hard but still not red lining. As we came up to the top of the hill after the second lap I took a bit of a breather on the downhill.

I was passing a good few people at this stage including a few clubmates who would normally beat me over the shorter distances. I was struggling a bit on the 3rd lap, average pace down to around 6:30 at the bottom of the hill. Not good, but not too far to go either.

There's a bit of a gap to another clubmate up ahead but I'd love to bridge that gap. Again a bit of a breather on the downhill. I wasn't sure how much I'd have left for the last lap but still felt like I was moving OK.

I'd slowed a little bit but started to push on halfway around the lap as we turned left up the hill.

I got and went past my target on this section and then went about emptying the tank on the finishing straight.

Finished in 55th place in a time of 24:07. My mile splits were 6:22, 6:26, 6:36, (6:29).

Delighted with this performance as I feel I got all I could have from myself on the day. Great support from the sportsworld crew.

An average pace of 6:28, which would equate to a sub-20 5k. This is also the best race performance by the Daniels Vdot metric (50.1).

Good day for the club too with medals at M35, M50 and Women Novice as well as individual medals in the Womens Novice and Mens Masters. Great day actually:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's brilliant Adrian! well done! so when are you going to put that sub 20 5K to the test :)

I was thinking Bohermeen on June 10th but Kilkenny v Wexford is probably that day. Maybe in Enfield though I'll just be back from holidays then.

Certainly I'll look to run both the Crusaders 5k and the Rathfarnham 5k so hopefully a sub-20 in one of those.

Well done! Great work. The Crusaders 5K is a good one all right (not that I'm biased or anything :rolleyes:) but there will be pacers and, of course, excellent marshals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff Adrian, very well done. St Cocas 5k is another fast 5k to consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very controlled performance there Adrian... sounds like a hilly course too. A flat 5k like the docklands will be much easier. Looking good for the sub-20!

Yeah, its a tough enough course alright!

Tuesday - 5.6 Miles @ 9:11

Just some recovery miles in Bushy Park.

Wednesday - 9.1 Miles @ 8:43 m/m

Longer run on Wednesday evening. Nothing too crazy on the pace here.

Thursday - 6 x 1 Mile

I decided to give the first of the McMillan sessions a go. The idea was to go for 6:35 to 6:40 for each one. The route was fairly interesting with some up and down sections but nothing too severe. The wind was fairly strong though and this did cause problems/

The other issue possibly was with recovery. I felt ok starting these but with a race on Monday and 9 miles on Wednesday I probavly wasn't very well setup for these.

So thats my excuses out of the way. In truth the session was a bit of a disaster. The first one was ok (went a bit longer than a mile) but I was working hard for it. Pace started to drop on the second one. After that I was just trying to hang on to sub 7 pace. I'm not sure I can take anything from the session other than managing to finish it out.

I'm 50/50 on doing the rest of those McMillan sessions, they take a lot out of me and I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off with the Ftizinger sessions.

Anyway just over 10 miles in total and the paces were as follows:

Rep|Pace
    1|6:36
    2|6:41
    3|6:54
    4|6:49
    5|6:56
    6|6:56

Friday - Off

Saturday - 8.3 Miles @ 9:07

Took out the new Addidas Takumi Sen for a test drive. Very nice shoes, but definitly built for racing. The session had 6 x 12 secs hill sprints and 8 x 100m strides.

The hills I did up in Tymon, the strides on the way home. Good session.

Sunday - 12 Miles @ 8:39 m/m

Long run this morning, glorious day but not good when you are dehydrated to start with. Kept the pace fairly steady throughout and was glad to get this solid run in at the end of what is my highest mileage week this year.

Total for the week 52.8 Miles.

Monday - 5.1 Miles @ 9:09 m/m

The second half of this week is going to be a struggle fitting runs in so instead of a day off I did a recovery run up in Bushy Park. Good run but the body was complaining after last weeks efforts.

Tuesday - 9 Miles @ 8:44 m/m

Nice easy run around Knocklyon/Firhouse area. A bit of a climb in there but nothing too drastic.

Wednesday - Tempo Session

After last weeks session went so badly I was eager for this one to go a bit better so I made sure to keep Tuesday's run easy. I also went up to Tymon instead of doing this on the roads.

This session is at LT instead of 10K pace, so the target was 6:55. The session is 14 mins/10 mins/10 mins with 4 mins recovery in between.

It went very well to be honest, apart from having to stop to tie my laces on the first rep.

Paces were 6:49/6:47/6:55. I even added in an extra hill on the last one as I was feeling good and it replicates pretty much what the course in Dunshaughlin is like.

Overall very happy with this, total 10 Miles.

The rest of this week will be tough to fit runs in. Off to Bob Dylan tonight :D then off to Spain for a week tomorrow :cool:

This is all well and good but not sure how all these runs on the plan are going to get done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I went to see Bob Dylan in 2007, thinking it would be one of my last chances to catch him before he stopped touring for good. 10 years ago now and he's still going. Enjoy the gig!

tailgunner wrote: »
    I went to see Bob Dylan in 2007, thinking it would be one of my last chances to catch him before he stopped touring for good. 10 years ago now and he's still going. Enjoy the gig!

I first saw him in 2001 in Kilkenny thinking the same. Still going strong, though I think I've heard enough Sinatra covers from him at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great racing in Gowran Adrian. Well done.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Great racing in Gowran Adrian. Well done.

Thanks, it went well. I feel my fitness has probably regressed a bit since then.

The log hasn't been updated in a while but I did attempt an update but boards/chrome somehow lost my update as I was typing it and I never came back to it.

Anyway:

Thursday May 11th - 7.4 Miles @ 8:48

Strava refuses to upload this run. I had intended to go longer but I didn't have enough time in the end so had to cut it short. Stressful.

Friday May 12th - 3 Miles @ 9:24

Again I didn't really have enough time so just got done what I could.

Saturday May 13th - 4.8 Miles @ 12:23 m/m

I was hoping to keep the fitness up while I was away and I was in an area that should have been good for running but this was a bit too hilly for my liking. A bit of a theme for the week. Good run nontheless and some impressive views.

Sunday May 14th - Off

Total for the week - 36 Miles

Monday - 3.9 Miles @ 10:19 m/m

This is a 2 mile loop, again hilly as hell. I was pretty wreaked after 2 laps and didn't fancy a third so 2 will have to do.

Tuesday - Off

Wednesday - 8 Miles @ 9:45

I hit the trails for this one, got lost, found my way back with the help of Garmin navigation! I at least found some flattish bits for this run but still it counts as a hilly run. Not finding much in the way of easy runs on this trip.

Thursday - Off

Friday - 4.5 Miles @ 10:57

More of the same. Was a bit of a struggle to find a decent route and just gave up in the end.

Saturday

AM - Track Session

4 x 200m (0:39, 0:41, 0:39, 0:40)
    3 x 600m (2:19, 2:17, 2:17)
    3 x 400m (1:27, 1:26, 1:25)
    1 x 300m (0:58)

Not bad for just back from holidays session I guess.

PM - 5 Miles @ 9:05 m/m

Recovery miles in the afternoon.

Sunday - 10 Miles @ 8:42 m/m

A long run of sorts. 10 miles up around Bohernabreena Reservoir. More hills. Not as bad as in Spain but legs weren't thanking me, especially on the downhill. Nice to get it done and the weekend somewhat salvages the week.

Weekly Total: 36 Miles

Monday - Off

Tuesday - 9 Miles @ 8:53 m/m

Legs still not 100%. Went with an easy run instead of a session. Feels nice to be getting back on track a little bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Thanks, it went well. I feel my fitness has probably regressed a bit since then.

The log hasn't been updated in a while but I did attempt an update but boards/chrome somehow lost my update as I was typing it and I never came back to it.

Anyway:

Thursday May 11th - 7.4 Miles @ 8:48

Strava refuses to upload this run. I had intended to go longer but I didn't have enough time in the end so had to cut it short. Stressful.

Friday May 12th - 3 Miles @ 9:24

Again I didn't really have enough time so just got done what I could.

Saturday May 13th - 4.8 Miles @ 12:23 m/m

I was hoping to keep the fitness up while I was away and I was in an area that should have been good for running but this was a bit too hilly for my liking. A bit of a theme for the week. Good run nontheless and some impressive views.

Sunday May 14th - Off

Total for the week - 36 Miles

Monday - 3.9 Miles @ 10:19 m/m

This is a 2 mile loop, again hilly as hell. I was pretty wreaked after 2 laps and didn't fancy a third so 2 will have to do.

Tuesday - Off

Wednesday - 8 Miles @ 9:45

I hit the trails for this one, got lost, found my way back with the help of Garmin navigation! I at least found some flattish bits for this run but still it counts as a hilly run. Not finding much in the way of easy runs on this trip.

Thursday - Off

Friday - 4.5 Miles @ 10:57

More of the same. Was a bit of a struggle to find a decent route and just gave up in the end.

Saturday

AM - Track Session

4 x 200m (0:39, 0:41, 0:39, 0:40)
    3 x 600m (2:19, 2:17, 2:17)
    3 x 400m (1:27, 1:26, 1:25)
    1 x 300m (0:58)

Not bad for just back from holidays session I guess.

PM - 5 Miles @ 9:05 m/m

Recovery miles in the afternoon.

Sunday - 10 Miles @ 8:42 m/m

A long run of sorts. 10 miles up around Bohernabreena Reservoir. More hills. Not as bad as in Spain but legs weren't thanking me, especially on the downhill. Nice to get it done and the weekend somewhat salvages the week.

Weekly Total: 36 Miles

Monday - Off

Tuesday - 9 Miles @ 8:53 m/m

Legs still not 100%. Went with an easy run instead of a session. Feels nice to be getting back on track a little bit!

Copy/Paste into Notepad; works for me every time ;)

That 2 mile loop looks ferocious. Fair play getting out and getting it done!

• Advertisement

Copy/Paste into Notepad; works for me every time ;)

That 2 mile loop looks ferocious. Fair play getting out and getting it done!

Yeah, wasn't great, could have been good for hill repeats or something though.

Advertisement