Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wednesday - 10K Pace Session

2 x (1600m/1200m/1000m) with recoveries of 3:00, 2:30 and 2:00

Dist|Set1|Set2
    1600|6:24|6:52
    1200|6:23|6:36
    1000|6:23|7:02

The target was 6:35ish. The 2 reps that were slow had a good bit of uphill in them but even so not a great sign. I guess with first set being that bit too fast didn't help. Anyway good session and 10.5 miles in total in what was a pretty warm evening.

Thursday - 10.5 Miles @ 8:56 m/m

Another warm evening, struggled a bit with this towards the end of the run. I included the club session in this but tried to keep in fairly controlled. Nice run but really ran out of steam towards the end.

Friday - 5 Miles @ 8:58 m/m

Recovery run on Friday evening. Useful run but feeling the effects of the last few days, I guess thats the point with a recovery run.

Saturday -Track Session

3 x 400m with 80 secs Recovery
    10 mins recovery
    800m Time Trial
    4 x 200m with 1 min recovery

400's were 1:23, 1:24, 1:26.

The 800m Time trial, I went out a bit too conservative and while I was able to pick it up for the last 200m I feel I could have gone faster with a more aggressive first lap. 800m in 2:55.

Finished up with 4 200's in 0:39, 0:38, 0:38, 0:37.

Good session but pretty short at only 3.6 Miles. probably not a bad thing with Dunboyne on Tuesday.

Sunday - 10 Miles @ 8:51 m/m

Usual 10 mile route. Kept it pretty easy and resisted the temptation to add on an extra mile or 2.

The plan had an extra 7 or 8 miles this week but I'd rather be somewhat fresh for Tuesday so total for the week is 48.8 Miles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Monday - 4 Miles @ 8:42 m/m

Included 4 x 20 second Strides. Was sluggish and tired for this, not a great sign.

Tuesday - BHAA Dunboyne 5 Mile

Not much of a taper for this, but I was determined to give it a good go as this training block has been good and I was confident of taking a bit off my PB run in Raheny in January.

Prerace I'd managed to roll my ankle slightly but whatever, it wasn't too bad. Bumped into a few familiar faces and got a little bit of a warmup done. A little concerned about the heat but generally confident and got a good position at the start.

Race:

We seemed to get going very suddenly and I quickly settled into a nice pace without working too hard. My target pace was 6:30 to 6:35. I passed a few people who had started too far forward.

There wasn't too much congestion and I'd noticed 2 clubmates up ahead running together (who'd go on to finish 1st and 5th in the womens race). I knew if I kept them in sight I wouldn't go to far wrong.

The pace seemed nice and controlled and I wasn't working too hard. I kept waiting for the pain to arrive but no sign of it coming so I just went with what felt about the right effort.

Mile1: 6:31

Not really remembering much about the course from last year but non real hills or tough sections so kept it going. Got to around 1.7 or 1.8 miles before starting to feel the pace.

There was a water station at 2 miles, didn't really take much on board but did wet my mouth. I passed a few people around here, pushing on as I was feeling ok. There were 1 or 2 who kept coming back at me and we worked together for a time.

Mile 2: 6:26

I'm not sure if I can keep this up. That mile was quicker than my pace in the 6k race in Gowran. Feeling the effects at this stage realise I could do without blowing up completely and try and run more relaxed and mile 3 ticks off right on the prerace plan

Mile 3: 6:35

The dreaded mile 4, why does everyone slow down here? Just a loss of concentration I guess. I hadn't realised it at this point but I'd dropped a good few seconds. Checked the watch at one point to see 6:52, tried to pick it up a bit but not wanting to red line too quickly.

I'd passed one of the club mates at this stage and another guy from Dunboyne went past me and I tried to hang on to him for a few hundred meters. Just over a mile to go, sometimes a mile can seem like an awful long way.

Mile 4: 6:47

The last mile is all about just hanging on, divided up into quarters, hanging on for the turn onto the track. When it finally arrives realise there's a good bit before the track actually begins.

Once we hit the tarmac I pick it up, overtake one person. Determined not to get passed by anyone. Pick up the pace around the bend (This track seems longer than every other track I've ever run on). Finally spot the finish line and manage to pick it up further and finish what is a great race.

Mile 5: 6:32

Result: 5 Miles in 32:54 and a PB of 51 seconds :D

Delighted with this, 51 seconds doesn't seem much given the amount of training done since January but I'm happy nonetheless. Given the lack of a taper and a poor enough week in terms of booze, diet and sleep its a great result.

Very good post race atmosphere and a beautiful evening. Only downside is no cooldown miles as no takers from anyone from the club. Lazy feckers.

Anyway, enjoyed a few PB beers when I got home.

Wednesday - 5 Miles @ 9:17 m/m

Just some lunchtime recovery miles around UCD. Annoys me more and more every time I see what the track at UCD has become.

Days Running|26/31
    Sessions|6
    Long Runs|4
    Races|2
    PB's|2

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017
    January|7|0|191|73.5|133.3
    February|10|53|196|104.1|165.9
    March|7|111|207.9|70|186.9
    April|26|154|165.2|74.9|203.2
    May|69|121|219.7|128.6|193
    June|75|93|257.4|183.2
    July|67|212|151.2|236.4
    August|101|233|132.7|279.7
    September|85|261|31.6|191.2
    October|4|179|63.6|106.6
    November|13|28|17.5|154.9
    December|6|163|21|151.3
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1654.8|1757.3|883.4

Started and ended this month with a race and both were very successful and very enjoyable.

Mileage down a bit, due to holidays mainly. Some good sessions done this month, particularly on the track but also some of the 10K pace sessions.

Overall a good but not great month in terms of training but very happy with the 2 races.

June will bring the Trinity track and the Dunshughlin 10K, which is the main target for the first part of the year. It will also hopefully bring me above the 1000 miles for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done on the PB, Adrian! And hope you enjoyed the PB bears.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

adrian522 wrote: »
    Very good post race atmosphere and a beautiful evening. Only downside is no cooldown miles as no takers from anyone from the club. Lazy feckers.

Ha, you could have done some on your own :p sorry to have missed you, i did have a good scout pre and post race for boardsies. Well done on the PB!

• Advertisement

Ha, you could have done some on your own :p sorry to have missed you, i did have a good scout pre and post race for boardsies. Well done on the PB!

But if I did that I wouldn't be eating cake. You see the dilemma I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Well done on the PB, great time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Great work, Adrian! Delighted for you and a very well deserved pb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done number 1 - good to see you as always, keep up the good work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

annapr wrote: »
    Well done on the PB, Adrian! And hope you enjoyed the PB bears.... ;)

:eek: The poor bears!

Congrats on the impressive PB. Looking good for Dunshaughlin!

• Advertisement

Thursday - 12.5 Miles @ 8:42 m/m

Don't remember much about this other than I headed out late and managed to get through it in one piece. I think it was enjoyable enough for the most part.

Friday - 6 Miles @ 8:24

Got this done at lunchtime. I was quite tired but I was heading to Kraftwerk after work so it had to be done.

Saturday AM - Track Session

4 x (300m/200m/300m)

Up for this 9am session and feeling none to sprightly. The plan had 9 miles for Saturday but no way was I going to be up for a long warmup so just did the session.

It went very well in fairness, splits were as follows:

|300m|200m|300m
    Set1|0:59|0:40|1:03
    Set2|1:00|0:39|1:03
    Set3|1:01|0:39|1:02
    Set4|1:01|0:39|1:02

PM: 4.6 Miles @ 9:22

This run felt a bit like I'd just been at a gig the night before, did a session that morning and then drove to Kilkenny.

Sunday - 13.5 Miles @ 8:36 m/m

I was glad I got my recovery miles in the day before as this run felt ok. Started out fairly slowly but loosened up as I went on. Weather went from really warm and sunny to really warm and rainy.

Weekly Total: 57.5 Miles

This week was the highest mileage total on the plan and I struggled to fit them all in, there were a lot of runs I almost bailed on but having missed out on so much running when I was on holidays I wanted to get this week done as per the plan. Highest mileage since last September.

Monday - Off.

Tuesday - 1.1 Miles @ 8:48

I was away with work and I didn't notice anywhere decent for a run. Plan had 9 miles plus strides. I decided on the treadmill straight after work but less then 10 mins in I got a text to say they were all meeting for dinner at 7. No choice but to pack it in and go again the next day.

Wednesday - 8.6 Miles with 2 sets 5 x 30 second Strides

Annoyed at missing the previous days run I get up early for this. I did 1 hour on the treadmill then headed out to the car park for the strides. Pretty tired and sleep deprived for this but happy to get it done.

This was the run I was supposed to do the previous day.

Thursday - No run

Having already missed 1 run I was unimpressed at missing another. I was way too tired for another 6am start, in any case I needed to be in the office for 7.30. Straight to the airport after work, annoying flight, delayed and after 9.30pm and bucketing rain when I got home.

I could have gone out for a few miles but it really would have been a box ticking exercise so I didn't bother. Got a pizza and beer instead, a bit of a mess of a week. I can empathise with TBL. Don't know how he does it.

Friday - 4 Miles @ 8:53 (Including 4 x 20 second Strides)

I was tempted to go chasing my missed miles but resisted the temptation recalling the advice I've given to many others. Missed runs are gone, just pick up the plan when you get back.

The key sessions this week were that 9 miler with the long strides and a 5k tuneup on Saturday. Adding junk miles here would only serve to mess up the race on Saturday so just did my normal pre-race run.

I'm hoping that the missed runs will merely serve to have more all the more primed for the Patrick Bell 5k tomorrow evening.

I'm missing the Kilkenny game for this race so hoping for a good performance despite an awful week in terms of running, sleep and diet.

Also looks like more work travel on the agenda and the Crusaders 5k may be a casualty of that.

20 mins on the button. This 5km distance is continuing to P!ss me off. I really failed to dig deep when the pain came in the last km.

My last few 5k results:

20:00, 20:06, 20:11 (though the last 2 were 2 years ago).

So a PB but very bittersweet, my runs in Gowran and Dunboyne suggested a sub 20 was well on the cards and I should have gone a good bit under but apparently wasn't to be.

If anyone is interested this chart maps my progress by mapping the VDOT of all my races over time. Non-linear indeed.

241qs78.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

The overall trend is increasing though - surely that's a good thing? Is this just a plot of VDOT against time? You seem to have been steadily improving until about half way into the graph - then there's a big drop off (post marathon??), but you seem to have returned to form by the end. Why do you think your VDOT decreased in the middle of the chart?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The Rathfarnham 5K is coming up isn't it? A great course and next time out you'll remember how much you really want that sub 20 and push on.. Well done on the PB!

The overall trend is increasing though - surely that's a good thing? Is this just a plot of VDOT against time? You seem to have been steadily improving until about half way into the graph - then there's a big drop off (post marathon??), but you seem to have returned to form by the end. Why do you think your VDOT decreased in the middle of the chart?

Basically my race performances were stedily improving when I first started running, but usually the longer the race the lower the VDOT would be so when I'd go into marathon training a focus o longer races you'd see a dip in the chart.

Then there was also a bit of a dip through injury and needing to build it back up again so you can see a fairly big drop off and taking a while to get back (and once i did get back going into marathon training again).

For example yesterday was my first non-parkrun 5km since 2015. The encouraging thing is that the VDOT over 5 miles is now in the same region as the 5k one, but the races longer than 10k stilll see a drop off.
    The Rathfarnham 5K is coming up isn't it? A great course and next time out you'll remember how much you really want that sub 20 and push on.. Well done on the PB!

In terms of 5k's that I know of coming up there are:

St. Cocas - June 30th
    Crusaders 5k - July 6th
    BHAA Irish town - July 12th
    BHAA Marino 5k - July 30th
    BHAA Newbridge - Sept 9th
    Rathfarnham - Sept 24th

So plenty to choose from. I'd like to run the crusaders one but mat not be possible due to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

So close. Don't blame you for being frustrated though.
    What is the time frame on that vdot chart? I can't imagine many people have a linear one. I read an article once about people loosing weight who weighed themselves every day and then got demotivated if they put on a couple of pounds despite their weight decreasing over a month. It's the big picture that counts. When I look at that graph I'm seeing a significant upward trend.

chickey2 wrote: »
    So close. Don't blame you for being frustrated though.
    What is the time frame on that vdot chart? I can't imagine many people have a linear one. I read an article once about people loosing weight who weighed themselves every day and then got demotivated if they put on a couple of pounds despite their weight decreasing over a month. It's the big picture that counts. When I look at that graph I'm seeing a significant upward trend.

It goes from my very first race in 2012 to now, so over 5 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

20 mins on the button. This 5km distance is continuing to P!ss me off. I really failed to dig deep when the pain came in the last km.

My last few 5k results:

20:00, 20:06, 20:11 (though the last 2 were 2 years ago).

So a PB but very bittersweet, my runs in Gowran and Dunboyne suggested a sub 20 was well on the cards and I should have gone a good bit under but apparently wasn't to be.

Sorry to see this. I've been stuck on 20:03 for a while now. You'll have more chances to crack it though.
    On a more positive note I see that you've gone up to standard 10 in BHAA. This means I won't have to race you on Wednesday :D

What, when this did happen? I'll have to have a word with P'OC. I should have held something back in Dunboyne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just catching up on some impressive results there. Terrific 5 mile result. Can't believe the number of PBs in that race this year. Feel your pain on the 5k front. Haven't come nearly as close as you, but a 20 on the nose would really piss me off too, especially if you felt you could have pushed more. Trend is good though (on VDOT too). It will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

20:00 is still a PB right? You'll get there....

...and it could have been worse, you could have gone to the KK game :)

annapr wrote: »

...and it could have been worse, you could have gone to the KK game :)

No Comment.

And yes, still a PB, which I'm happy about!

Saturday

AM - 3 miles @ 9:36 m/m

Just a bit of a morning shakeout. Undecided if this is a good idea or not on the morning of an evening race.

PM - Patrick Bell 5K - 3.1 Miles @ 6:24 m/m

The 5K is one of my oldest PB's. In fact, excluding Parkrun's I hadn't raced one in anger since recording my PB in Enfield 2015. That time was 20:06 and at that point I left the 5k's behind to launch into marathon training. Most of my training this year had been focused on 10K, but still a good few track sessions and good results at 6K and 5 Mile had me thinking a time of 19:40 was doable. That was probably a bit optimistic but I'm nothing if not an optimist while toeing the line! Usually my performances get worse as the distance increases so I was hopeful of being able to beat the McMillan predictions. So goal was 1. PB, 2. Sub 20 3. As far under 20 as possible. I'd decided 6:20 would be the pace I'd go out at and see how I felt in the second half of the race.

I bumped into both Krusty and AMK pre-race, both of whom had great races, so well done to them. I also met an ex-clubmate who was also aiming for sub-20, so I'd keep an eye out for him during the race. Strangely no one else from sportsworld showed up.

The race started on something of a downhill slope. I had a bit of overtaking to do in the first few hundred meters but things soon settled down. My pace was ok for this bit, a bit behind schedule but ok. As I got a bit of clear road, and a bit of downhill I picked it up a bit, maybe a bit too much. After a half mile or so we turn right and I settle into what feels like a manageable pace.

Mile 1: 6:17

After the first mile marker, the ex-club mate goes past me, I keep him in sight but not really feeling the love for picking up the pace. Around this time I'm just trying to keep the effort levels up but the pace is dropping. I'm starting to hang on a bit and wishing away the final mile.

Mile 2: 6:27

We make another right turn for home here and I know this is where I should be picking it up but I'm struggling to hang on. A few go past me here and I try to dig in but I find it tough to respond. We make the final turn with about a half mile to go and I nearly come to a standstill on the corner. Getting going again, I'm counting down the meters. AS we turn onto the track for the last 100m I'm hoping the clock will give me something to aim for. Seems to read 19:5x, I put the head down and empty the tank. I see it click to 20:00 as I've about 10 meters to go. The finish line video from My Run results is't pretty but I manage what I believe will be a small PB but no sub 20.

Mile 3 - 6:33

When the final results come out I get a time of 20:00. A small PB but frustrating as hell. I didn't run a great race, was probably a bit over-confident but really not running this distance for such a long time you can forget how much hurt is involved. Post race setup was first class. Chatted with the 2 aforementioned boardises and the ex-clubmate who managed to finish about 15 seconds ahead of me. Great food for after, burgers included, it really is very well setup, I think the entry was only €10. Everyone should really be doing this race.

Arrived home to watch the disaster from Wexford Park unfold 2 hours after everyone else, but I did have a few PB beers, including a grapefruit and Cactus offering from Sierra Nevada and some Lagunitas 12th of never which is excellent.

10.1 Miles for the day.

Sunday

10.2 Miles @ 8:26 m/m

Went up to Tymon for this one. Missed the club run in the morning and to be honest I don't think a hilly 10 miles around Bohernabreena is exactly what I would have needed after the race. This was a good enough run though.

Total for the week was a pretty poor 34.2 Miles

Monday - Off

Tuesday - 7 Miles @ 8:31 m/m

Up at the club for handing over the charity donation and photos, FB updates etc. Just did my easy run after all that.

Wednesday

Trinity Track - 800M and 2000M

I'd heard so much of this from clubmates the last few years I really wanted to give it a go. The fact that it fell on the week before (as opposed to the week of) Dunshaughlin meant there was to be no excuses.

I'd planned on running down a a warmup but figured I'd be better off cycling so I could at least have a way of getting home.

I got down early as a result, picked up my number and went for a warmup consisting of many laps of the track.

I'd been assigned Standard 14, and the general opinion seemed to be that I should have been graded higher but I wasn't about to complain. There were a fair few down from the club and a few from these parts as well as some vocal supporters.

The first race up was the 800m. I'd only ever run one once before, a club time trial which I completed in 2:55. I was confident I could go faster than this. On that occasion I'd held too much back on the first lap and while I had a strong finish it was obvious a faster time would have been available with a more aggressive first lap.

Well I certainly didn't make the same mistake again. I started at the outside but got in front of everyone for a place in lane 1 pretty much straight away. A bit of a rush of blood and I just decided to set off at pace. I certainly overdid this but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I maintained the lead through the first lap (79 seconds) and through the next 100m or so. It was at this point I really started to flag and a few went past me here and I didn't really have anything left to go with them. As I continued to plod along another lad went past, and before long I was a good 10 meters behind the 3 in front.

A clubmate was next behind me but I managed to pick it up for the last 200m and secure 4th, and even had a crack at reeling in 3rd but I'd left myself too much to do.

I finished in 4th position in 2:44 but I can't get away from the thought that I could have gone faster if I'd run a smarter race. Good fun though and I'd like to run more of these races.

Next up was the 2000m, about 1 hour later. Not properly recovered but everybody else was in the same boat. I wanted to be a bit more conservative for this one so I tucked in around 4th position as we set off. There was a lead group developing but the pace felt ok and I was confident I could go faster if needed. Hoping to learn the lesson of the 800m I decided to stay put for the time being.

The guy behind me kept clipping my heels, I gave him a bit of a stare the 3rd time this happened. I'd hoped to hang back for the first 3 laps, but half way around the third lap I decided enough was enough, the two in front looked like they'd out sprint me anyway so I overtook them to see if I could pick up the pace and hopefully hold on for the 2 and a half laps.

All went well really, I could sense someone behind me but wasn't sure how far. I was getting great support on the back straight from Annapr and Aquinn every time I went around!

With about a lap and a half to go, with a go on my shoulder I sensed he was waiting for the final straight so I tried to pick up the pace a bit. This worked well enough, I was able tp pick it up and then maintain onto the last lap. I was hanging on a bit and once we came onto the final straight my pursuer came past me, I tried to kick on and did have a bit of a sprint in me, problem was this lasted around 20 meters when I would have needed 150 or so. I let him go eventually and settled for a very satisfactory 2nd place.

2000m in 7:41 (93,96,97,92,82).

Overall it's a great event and one I'll certainly do again, though I'll probably be lumped in with the Murph_D's and Wubble Wubble's of the world next time out. Happy to take home prizes from the Trinity shop as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Apologies if I hindered rather than helped in the last 200 m. Well done Adrian, good to see you.

No worries at all, wasn't really able to hear anything at that stage anyway. Great to catch up with you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

No worries at all, wasn't really able to hear anything at that stage anyway. Great to catch up with you too.

That was only mildly cheering, I can go louder if required? See you on July 6th so.

I'm away with work that week and only arriving back in Dublin that day at 6:30 so doesn't look like I'll make that race :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Wednesday

Trinity Track - 800M and 2000M

I'd heard so much of this from clubmates the last few years I really wanted

The first race up was the 800m. I'd only ever run one once before, a club time trial which I completed in 2:55. I was confident I could go faster than this. On that occasion I'd held too much back on the first lap and while I had a strong finish it was obvious a faster time would have been available with a more aggressive first lap.

Well I certainly didn't make the same mistake again. I started at the outside but got in front of everyone for a place in lane 1 pretty much straight away. A bit of a rush of blood and I just decided to set off at pace. I certainly overdid this but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I maintained the lead through the first lap (79 seconds) and through the next 100m or so. It was at this point I really started to flag and a few went past me here and I didn't really have anything left to go with them. As I continued to plod along another lad went past, and before long I was a good 10 meters behind the 3 in front.

A clubmate was next behind me but I managed to pick it up for the last 200m and secure 4th, and even had a crack at reeling in 3rd but I'd left myself too much to do.

I finished in 4th position in 2:44 but I can't get away from the thought that I could have gone faster if I'd run a smarter race. Good fun though and I'd like to run more of these races.

Next up was the 2000m, about 1 hour later. Not properly recovered but everybody else was in the same boat. I wanted to be a bit more conservative for this one so I tucked in around 4th position as we set off. There was a lead group developing but the pace felt ok and I was confident I could go faster if needed. Hoping to learn the lesson of the 800m I decided to stay put for the time being.

The guy behind me kept clipping my heels, I gave him a bit of a stare the 3rd time this happened. I'd hoped to hang back for the first 3 laps, but half way around the third lap I decided enough was enough, the two in front looked like they'd out sprint me anyway so I overtook them to see if I could pick up the pace and hopefully hold on for the 2 and a half laps.

All went well really, I could sense someone behind me but wasn't sure how far. I was getting great support on the back straight from Annapr and Aquinn every time I went around!

With about a lap and a half to go, with a go on my shoulder I sensed he was waiting for the final straight so I tried to pick up the pace a bit. This worked well enough, I was able tp pick it up and then maintain onto the last lap. I was hanging on a bit and once we came onto the final straight my pursuer came past me, I tried to kick on and did have a bit of a sprint in me, problem was this lasted around 20 meters when I would have needed 150 or so. I let him go eventually and settled for a very satisfactory 2nd place.

2000m in 7:41 (93,96,97,92,82).

Overall it's a great event and one I'll certainly do again, though I'll probably be lumped in with the Dennis_b's and Wubble Wubble's of the world next time out. Happy to take home prizes from the Trinity shop as well!

Well done again on last night, overall it's been a very good few days for you (apart from Kilkenny being beaten :eek:) Based on those times you'd have been more than able for the 4s. Besides, being lumped in with me isn't that bad :pac: Keep it up!

• Advertisement

Thursday - 6.6 Miles @ 8.26

I ended up going down to the club on Thursday but just took it easy/steady on the fartlek in one of the slower groups. Still faster than I would have liked the day after the races though.

Friday - 6 Miles @ 8:49

6 Miles straight after work. Nothing of interest to report.

Saturday - Track Session

I got down early for a few miles warmup which always makes the track session a bit better and also brings the mileage up to what it should be for the day. The session is: 3 x 400m, 1 × 1k (TT), 4 x 200m.

It was due to be a 1500m Time Trial but this was changed to 1K for some reason. The 400s were done in 93,92 and 94 seconds. Good effort, not completely flat out.

Then it was a good 10 mins recovery before the time trial. I find it hard to put the same effort in as in the races on Wednesday, I guess there is only so many times you can go to the well. I feel I'm holding something back early on but come close to emptying the tank in the last 400-600m. I finish in a fairly respectable 3:34.

We finish out with 4 x 200m (38,38,38,36). 6.2 Miles for the day.

Sunday - 10 Miles @ 8:47

I struggled with this, probably a combination of the warm-ish weather, the track session and the Trinity races but it was a bit of a struggle. Got through it in any case and it brings me to 1000 miles for the year. Followed up with some very pleasant coffee in the sunshine at the PP visitors center.

Total for the week was 41.3 Miles

Monday - Tune up Session

Last session before Dunshauglin and its nothing more than a leg loosener really. 7 Miles with 4 x 20 second strides and 1200m @ 10K pace.

Pace on the 1200m was a bit slower than I'd like but the session served its purpose. All easy running between now and Saturday.

Advertisement