Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Monday - Off

Tuesday - Club Session

4 x 1200m

Jumped in with the marathon group with this. The Pfitz session for this week was 6 x 1200m so this was a good option. The session was on grass and not measured to the last meter, so pace probably more relevant than time. As such paces were:

6:17/6:26/6:34/6:35. Getting slower as I go. Decent session though, 10 Miles in total.

Wednesday - 13.3 Miles @ 8:43 m/m

Up around Marlay for this. Fine for the first 7 or 8 miles but the last few were a bit of a struggle after the previous days session.

Thursday - 5.8 Miles @ 9:35 m/m

Some recovery miles around UCD. Legs feeling the effects of all the recent training.

Friday - 10 Miles @ 8:40 m/m

This was a very good run, legs felt good, and it didn't really feel like a 10 miler. Good to see the endurance runs paying some dividends.

Saturday - Club Session

4 x 800m/1k

I had thought about doing a tempo or something instead of this, but as the Tuesday session was shorter than the scheduled session I went with this. On grass again and went pretty well, even if it was a tough run to be doing between 10 Miles on Friday and a long run on Sunday.

Rep|800|1k
    1|6:37|6:34
    2|6:29|6:35
    3|6:36|6:39
    4|6:38|6:43

8 Miles in Total.

Sunday - 16 Miles @ 8:31 m/m

I was a bit nervous about this one after a heavy weeks training, it being the longest run of the year. It went ok though. I got 6 miles in before the normal club 10 miler. A bit of a struggle around mile 12-14 but managed to pick it up for the last 2 miles and finished with 2 miles @ 8:01/7:39.

Overall a very good week, 2 good sessions and 63 Miles in total.

wCGMS4U.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

thats super mileage - you seem to be going great guns!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

thats super mileage - you seem to be going great guns!

Thanks, It's hard to know if all the long endurance type runs are strictly necessary for the half, though they do of course serve a purpose, particularly long term.

I notice a lot of half plans that people are running a lot more @ HM Pace and Tempo pace than I am. I realise you can't do it all, and I hope the overall benefit of the higher mileage and the endurance runs will be of benefit for a marathon in 2018 not to mention for this half I'm training for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

adrian522 wrote: »
    Thanks, It's hard to know if all the long endurance type runs are strictly necessary for the half, though they do of course serve a purpose, particularly long term.

I notice a lot of half plans that people are running a lot more @ HM Pace and Tempo pace than I am. I realise you can't do it all, and I hope the overall benefit of the higher mileage and the endurance runs will be of benefit for a marathon in 2018 not to mention for this half I'm training for.

I thought P&L was very light on HM pace sessions too, but it worked really well on the day. In fact I haven't bettered that 2015 HM time yet! So HM pace sessions are not necessarily necessary. ;)

Nice mileage.

Monday 6 Miles @ 8:55 m/m

Up around Bushy Park on Bank holiday Monday

Tuesday - 10 Miles @ 8:34 m/m

The 10 Miler is becoming my default easy run distance! Did this after work on Tuesday, nice run from what I remember.

Wednesday - 12 Miles with 40 mins @ Tempo

Good session, I was a bit apprehensive about this one due to struggling with this pace in previous sessions. I went up to Tymon for this and to be honest it went well. I was aiming for 7 min miles, knowing that the LT pace from mcmillan is probably not accurate. Managed 6:58 m/m for the 40 min section. Overall 12 Miles.

Thursday - 8.1 Miles @ 8:45 m/m

Had thoughts of going longer on this but sense prevailed and I cut it short. New shoes, Adidas Supernova, not a fan of them at all. I'm not sure I'll even bother with them long term. I'll stick with them for 1 or 2 more runs before making that call.

Friday - 6 Miles @ 8:47 m/m

Few miles after work on Friday, one of those runs just to get through, not one to enjoy or over analyse.

Saturday - 9 Miles @ 8:26 m/m

I used this to run into town to pick up my half marathon number and buy some coffee. It was a really enjoyable run and had to check the pace at times.

Sunday - 17.8 Miles @ 8:05

Like last year I used the rock n roll half as a bit of a session. I parked up in the Phoenix Park and jogged down to the start as a warm up. The idea was to start easy, steady in the middle section and pick it up towards half marathon pace for the last few miles. It didn't quite work out like that but it was a good enough session nonetheless.

First 5 miles were easy enough. The next 6 or 7 miles were in the steady range and that was handy enough. When the time came to pick up the pace it was hard enough. I just went with as much effort as I could but really struggled in last few miles with all the recent mileage catching up with me. For all that though I think the run was a success. Jealous of everyone hitting their half marathon goals today!

Last 5 or so miles went: 7:33/7:34/7:28/7:39/8:17 (:eek:)/(7:30)

A solid 69 Miles for the week.

kcwd120.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Brilliant week there Adrian, you couldn't have looked much more relaxed this morning :pac:

Brilliant week there Adrian, you couldn't have looked much more relaxed this morning :pac:

Yeah, that was in my taking it easy phase!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great mileage Adrian, looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Thanks for the shout on Sunday, would have missed you as you were happily bounding along.

Glad I got to return the favour on the hills.

Well done Adrian. Great mileage and work, keep it up.

Yeah I was grand initially but then in the park I was struggling as I'm sure you could tell. Thanks for the shout out though!

• Advertisement

Monday - 3.7 Miles @ 9:04

It was raining fairly heavily on Monday evening, I decided rather than get wet cycling home, and try and motivate myself to go running in wet gear afterwards I'd just run home. Kept it short after Sundays efforts, went ok but may have contributed to problems later in the week.

Tuesday - 8.2 Miles @ 8:34 m/m

I had the feeling of a sore throat coming on but felt well enough to struggle through this run hoping that I'd be feeling better the following day. The run went ok but I wasn't feeling much better overnight.

Wednesday - Off

Thursday - Off

Friday - Off

Sickness had me sidelined for a full 3 days. I could have possibly struggled through a few miles on Friday but it really would have been a case of doing some miles for the sake of getting them done. Sometimes the body needs a break.

First time going 3 days without a run since October.

Saturday - 8.5 Miles including Tymon Parkrun

Feeling a good bit better on Saturday, I decided to head for the parkrun figuring I'd at least get a tempo run out of it. Felt good on the way down so decided to go with a good hard effort instead. I tried to stick with RayCun who was pacing 20 mins but that wasn't happening so I just tried to get what I could out of myself.

In the end I came away with 20:55 (and 10th place) which I was happy enough with. All about the effort levels for this one.

Sunday - 15 Miles @ 8:56 m/m

I decided I wanted 14 miles today so I got out early and did 4 miles through Dodder Valley Park before meeting up with the club for the long run around the waterworks. Surprisingly most people were doing the flatter route so just me and one other for the outer loop. Run went well and I enjoyed the run. Good to get a bit of hills in the legs every now and then.

Back at the car park at 14.90 miles, obviously couldn't leave it at that, so 15 Miles for the day.

This week was always intended as a stepback week. I' planned a tempo with the club on Thursday but replaced that with the parkrun. Instead of a stepback to around 60 miles I had to settle for 35.5 Miles for the week.

The original plan for this week was for peak mileage (about 70) and 1 session. Having decided to do the Race Series 10 Mile I knew the mileage would come down somewhat but I probably backed down a few too many miles.

Monday - 6 Miles @ 8:48

Just some recovery miles on Monday evening.

Tuesday - Club Session

2 x (1500m/1200m/1000m).

This one was tough, but a good session I think. Idea was for 5k pace which is about what I got for the first set but the second set was closer to 10K pace. Good nonetheless though.

Dist|Set1|Set2
    1500m|6:22|6:38
    1200m|6:23|6:42
    1000m|6:21|6:38

Total of 9.5 Miles.

Wednesday
    AM - 4.1 Miles @ 8:56 m/m
    PM - 6.1 Miles @ 8:48 m/m

Not much to report here but the evening miles were a bit of a slog.

Thursday - 5 Miles @ 8:57 m/m

Legs pretty dead for this, just hoping they recover in time for the weekend.

Friday - 4 Miles @ 8:54 m/m

Run into work on Friday, added some strides. Feeling OK, not great, not terrible.

Saturday - Frank Duffy 10 Mile

I'd run the RNR half as a session but this one I'd always planned as a race. I had thoughts of going at 7:00 pace for Charleville so really this one should be 6:50-ish, at the very least I was hoping for 70:00.

I didn't get much of a warmup (I'd planned 2 mile warm up and 2 mile cool down but in the end did neither).

Anyway, day was warm and sunny, and I went off at a good pace, which felt ok. But then this is the easier part of the course. First few miles went by in 6:44 and 6:36.

Passed by AMK around here, wondered what he was doing running at my pace, doing a session apparently.

The third mile incorporates the S-bends, and this was tougher but that is expected. Time was 6:57, no need for panic even if I'm working a bit too hard for this stage of the race. Same story for mile 4, working hard but hanging in there (7:01)

Once we get up to the North road it all starts to unravel, a few of the clubates are struggling with one dropping out. Passed by one guy I'd hope to be able to keep pace with, but just trying to hang on at this stage, forgetting about the pace and just trying to get through it. The 2 miles along here a lot of damage is done. (7:14, 7:16).

Back to Chesterfield and I'm hoping to cruise through a few miles before the hills arrive but while I pick it up somewhat its still hard work and I'm feeling the effects of the weather as well as the effort. (Good shout out from wubble around here!). (7:07, 7:03)

2 Miles to go and I'm feeling like I don't have much left. I know these last 2 miles are tough so its just about getting through it. I know sub 70 is gone but 71 ish is still a solid PB. The next mile is 7:15 which doesn't help much. I just feel at this stage I want to jog it out but manage to increase the effort for the last mile or so and finish with a 7:16 mile which is mainly uphill (Watch had been showing 7:48 pace at one stage).

All in all it was a tough day at the office and on the finishing straight I could see even sub 71 wasn't on and get over the line in 71:10, which gives me a 1 minute PB (from Ballycotton this year).

So some things to be happy about but overall not overly happy with the result. The main thing is I've no idea where this leaves me for Charleville. I guess going out at 7:00 pace is not an option so time to reassess the target.

Positive is a good PB, but I still have the issue of my performances getting worse as the distance increases (Vdot 47.8, 10k VDot is 50).

Good to catch up with everyone briefly afterwards!

Sunday - 12 Miles @ 8:29 m/m

Sunday club run. I wanted to get a longish one in at a very easy pace. In the end it was quick enough, (quicker than all my easy runs this week). Legs were tired but other than that no ill effects from the race effort.

In total 57.6 Miles for the week. In truth I'm not sure where I stand in regards to the plan for the goal race. Follow the plan I guess and see how things are shaping up by then.

sHz7iIX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the PB. I don't know about reassessing your goals for Charleville yet - from the sounds of your report and from reading others it seems like it was a really hot day on a hilly course. Charleville is flat, and if the weather plays ball maybe 7:00 pace is not yet out of reach.

Yeah, I don't know, I'll see how things are on the day, maybe start a bit slower and work into it. I don't want another race where I'm cooked half way through.

I can always race another half later in the year if I feel there is more to come. In fact I'm already in for one, thought it will be day 4 of 4 days of racing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

6:36 for your second mile following a 6:44? Even if it's the faster part of the course you just went out too fast no? If that's the case I wouldn't be worrying too much about Charleville as long as you make sure to keep to target pace in the first half and not overcook it. Well done on the PB anyway :)

Yeah, I don't know, I'll see how things are on the day, maybe start a bit slower and work into it. I don't want another race where I'm cooked half way through.

I can always race another half later in the year if I feel there is more to come. In fact I'm already in for one, thought it will be day 4 of 4 days of racing!

Sounds like a plan. I've always found the 1st mile in Charleville a bit fast btw - not exactly downhill, but the road does drop off a bit heading out of the town.

4 days of racing eh - I'm intrigued!

6:36 for your second mile following a 6:44? Even if it's the faster part of the course you just went out too fast no? If that's the case I wouldn't be worrying too much about Charleville as long as you make sure to keep to target pace in the first half and not overcook it. Well done on the PB anyway :)

Yeah, too fast to start I think. I was just following someone from the club who was going for a similar time to me. But yeah a bit too fast, but it does include the bit going down the glen road.

Sounds like a plan. I've always found the 1st mile in Charleville a bit fast btw - not exactly downhill, but the road does drop off a bit heading out of the town.

4 days of racing eh - I'm intrigued!

https://www.clublasanta.co.uk/event/28th-international-running-challenge/

I'll just strategically leave that page open there on the PC and see if anyone bites....

I'll just strategically leave that page open there on the PC and see if anyone bites....

It's a great week, I was over last year. There's been a group going from our club for years. Tough going but great fun.

• Advertisement

Days Running|28/31
    Sessions|5
    Long Runs|7
    Races|1
    PB's|1

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017
    January|7|0|191|73.5|133.3
    February|10|53|196|104.1|165.9
    March|7|111|207.9|70|186.9
    April|26|154|165.2|74.9|203.2
    May|69|121|219.7|128.6|193
    June|75|93|257.4|183.2|179.3
    July|67|212|151.2|236.4|242.1
    August|101|233|132.7|279.7|255.7
    September|85|261|31.6|191.2
    October|4|179|63.6|106.6
    November|13|28|17.5|154.9
    December|6|163|21|151.3
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1654.8|1757.3|1561.7

Not particularly pleased with this month, though thats probably a bit unfair. Not too many sessions and the ones I did do weren't spectacular by any means. Some of them were solid enough.

Plenty of long runs, I thought the RNR long run/session went well. I PB'd last weekend in the Frank Duffy but I was hoping and expecting a better result.

I was sick in the middle of the month and missed 3 days running and to be honest I'm still not 100% after it, I'm hoping it will clear up in the next week or so.

Obviously the Half is on September 17th, I'd expect a PB there but my expectations have come down a fair bit since last weekend. Hopefully I can get there in one piece as the body is creaking a bit at the moment.

Monday - 6 Miles @ 9:15 m/m

A lot of procrastination happened here and it was after 10pm by the time I got out. I enjoy running at this time but doesn't make sleep easy to come by, also after dinner running brings its own problems.

Tuesday - 8.7 Miles @ 8:41

A few laps of Bushy Park, but no session not being properly recovered from the race on Saturday. (Frank Duffy 10 Mile, try to keep up!)

Wednesday 8.1 Miles @ 8:35

No procrastination tonight, straight out after work before cycling home. Handy enough run but a bit of lower leg pain that was quite unwelcome, but nothing to be too concerned about I hope.

Thursday - Club Session

Light enough Session, Terenure Lap, Tempo Run - 2.4 Miles @ 6:37. Too fast for tempo I guess. Going 4 days without any faster running caused this. I should have gone a bit slower and done a second lap like the marathon group did, but nontheless happy with it.

Added a few sprints afterwards, not flat out, about 200-300m each. Probably did 6 of those.

Friday - 5.9 Miles @ 8:19 m/m

Easy run after work on Friday. I was in a bit of a hurry so no lap of the car park to bring up 6 miles.

Saturday

AM - Club Championship Races

1500m in 5:33

Target for this was 5:30, but happy enough with this result. Beautiful morning in Tallaght. Went out good and hard, went through 300m in 66 seconds. The second lap I was hanging on a bit. When we reached 200m in the third lap I decided I was going to past the group in front and finish strong in the last 600m. Unfortunately that burst of energy didn't last and I slowed over the last 200m. One guy went past me, tried to hold him off in a sprint finish but couldn't. Still happy enough with how it went overall. PB, 24 seconds faster than last year.

Followed this up with a 4 x 400m Relay. I ended up running 2 legs, on 2 different teams, 1st leg on one and last leg on the other. (If anyone ever asks you to do this, just refuse).

The first one was fine, went out hard, died a death and managed to find something in the last 100m but finished well down the field when handing over. Time was 79 seconds according to my Garmin.

Not properly recovered, I was doing the last leg and got handed over with a significant lead. The phrase DFIU spring to mind. I went out hard-ish but eased off after the first bend. 2 lads went straight past me on the back straight and I was really struggling thinking I'm going to really struggle.

Funnily enough despite me slowing considerably (or so it seemed) No one came past by the bend and it didn't seem anyone was right behind me. I could hear the cheers for a closing runner though so I really emptied the tank in the last 100m and for a change I managed to hold on for third place and a medal :D This was actually 75 seconds by the Garmin though I think I was late starting it but faster than the first leg and my fastest 400m I think.

Happy with this, great morning and very well organised.

PM - 4.7 Miles @ 9:12

Having only covered 3 miles this morning I got out for a few recovery miles in the evening.

Sunday - 12 Miles @ 8:31 m/m

Long run on a soft day. Fairly wet this morning. Not too bad once we got going though. I got through 12 miles, most of which were ok but the last few turned into a bit of a slog, but at 8:30 pace happy enough overall.

Total of 56.2 Miles for the week.

H8WYgwz.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Also those two 400 legs for two different teams were in the same race? That's pretty mad alright. Was it not tempting to nobble the first team with a slow lap? Plenty of 'moral hazard' opportunities when you think of it. Good job you needed up with a medal anyway! :D

Murph_D wrote: »
    Also those two 400 legs for two different teams were in the same race? That's pretty mad alright. Was it not tempting to nobble the first team with a slow lap? Plenty of 'moral hazard' opportunities when you think of it. Good job you needed up with a medal anyway! :D

Ahem. Yes the same race, 2 different teams. 2nd leg was a good few seconds faster but then you can probably empty the tank a bit more on the last one, not to mention the fact I'm trying to hang on for a brownze medal having had a significant lead. The phrase DFIU was mentioned as I started the lap.

Monday 5.3 Miles @ 8:46 m/m

Just some easy miles on Monday evening.

Tuesday - Club Session - 6 x 1200m

This replaces the session from the "Faster Road Running" book (3 x1200, 3 x 800).

Good tough session, happy with how it went. Works up in Bushy park so our 1200m lap measures a bit short, but the first one went a slightly different route and was clocked a bit longer. Anyway the paces were:

6:23/6:24/6:21/6:19/6:24/6:27

Total of 6.6 Miles.

Wednesday - 7.1 Miles @ 8:40 m/m

Supposed to be tapering so this is the mid week long run!

Thursday - 6.3 @ 8:05 m/m

Should have taken this slower, but I guess it won't do any harm. Went down to the club, didn't do the session but ended up running beside some faster guys so steady run it was!

Friday - 5 Miles @ 8:55 m/m

5 Miles recovery with some strides at lunchtime on Friday. Work BBQ in the evening so good to get it out of the way!

Saturday - BHAA Pfizer 5K

Time for a bit of a 5k blowout. This race is on in the Pfizer plant in Newbridge and I have to say its a good one. Small enough field and I went through the race without checking my pace on the watch for once.

The race is 2 and a half laps around the plant. Each lap is 2K. Reminds me a bit of the RTE 5 mile. Anyway at the start settled into a nice pace. Small field so pretty much single file from early on with most people taking shortest route through corners etc. After 1K we pass the finish line, 2 laps to go.

The second half of the lap has a bit of an uphill section but I feel strong through here and on towards where we started. First Mile is 6:14. I'd probably have panicked if I'd have known.

With the small field you can pick someone off and then pick a new target up ahead. This helps keep the concentration going and always nice to overtake someone who has gone off too fast.

Past the finish line again and we get the bell. I'm working harder here but holding on ok. 2nd Mile was 6:22

Last lap I do pick off a few people and struggle up the last hill. I'm hoping rather than expecting a good result. The 3rd mile is 6:15

I was expecting 20 mins or thereabouts, probably just missing a sub 20 so I was delighted to see 19:12 on the clock as I came around the last corner, a sprint later (at 5:30 pace) and I had a new 4 second PB of 19:32.

Even more pleasantly surprised to find I got 3rd M40 so nice bonus on top of the PB. As I said, great race and good setup afterwards for food and prizegiving.

Sunday - 11.5 Miles @ 9:01

Long run around Kilkenny, kept pace very easy. Missed the worst of the weather thankfully.

Next week will be about recovery, with just 1 light session and the half on Sunday.

9F0TVcG.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the new 5K PB!!! Not long before you're going sub 19:30! You're really flying Adrian :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Best of luck tomorrow, Adrian... see you at breakfast...

...don't go too wild in Charleville tonight ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow Adrian, run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a good one!

• Advertisement

Report later but for now 1.32.23. Negative split of 46.30/45.52 which doesn't seem to add up but anyway. Happy with that, big PB.

Advertisement